Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Old people are the most likely to die in extreme heat or cold, so really this is one problem that climate change will solve!

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pipistrelle
Jun 18, 2011

Seems the high horse is taking them all home

As part of my job I have to review all new lawsuits filed in my state, and I ran across this one the other day. No details unfortunately, but I’m sure it’s all around BWM.

“Contract. Plaintiff and defendant co-own a house, but while plaintiff is paying the mortgage, defendant ‘comes and goes as she pleases while paying nothing.’"

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

I think you have it completely backwards, buying a new truck in cash when 0% or nearly 0% interest rate financing is available is very BWM. Financing a gently used truck at a very low interest-rate that has done its most rapid depreciation but remains under warranty is potentially GWM.

I thought those "0% interest" dealer loans were just a trick, with the interest baked into the sale price of the vehicle? Like, a standard piece of GWM advice has been to go in with cash and bargain them down to the actual cash price of the vehicle.

That said, given how nightmarish auto dealerships' marketing and hard-sell tactics are, buying from a dealer at all is likely to be BWM for most people.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Negotiating financing/payment-for-vehicle terms separately from sales price is a good idea, but 0% interest loans in order to get people to buy a new car aren't a trick.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I thought those "0% interest" dealer loans were just a trick, with the interest baked into the sale price of the vehicle?

No, they're pretty standard because the financing arm is owned by the vehicle manufacturer and they want to sell cars. You're not getting a loan from a bank who wants to make money on a loan, you're getting a loan from someone who wants to move a specific model of car to meet sales goals or get some cars off the lot. If the interest were baked into the sale price that would just inflate the sale price over competing products, even for people who don't qualify for the 0% loan, which wouldn't make a lot of sense to do.

Being able to get a lower rate on a car loan from the car company than from a bank is also a pretty common thing.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Oct 27, 2017

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008
Yeah, 0% financing deals aren't a scam. The closest you might see to what you're describing is that sometimes the manufacturer will have a "$X Rebate OR 0% financing" promotion, but those tend to be the exception in my experience.

This is also why you always see the ultra-sporty or limited edition models excluded from the 0% financing deals e.g. 0% on all Chevrolets (Except Corvette and Camaro ZL1). If the manufacturer were just baking the financing price in, they'd be happy to do the same for the Corvette. The 0% is a promotion to move vehicles that might get cross-shopped, but they know that the 'Vette will sell without 0% financing so they don't need to take the hit there to move it off the lot.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Phanatic posted:

No, they're pretty standard because the financing arm is owned by the vehicle manufacturer and they want to sell cars. You're not getting a loan from a bank who wants to make money on a loan, you're getting a loan from someone who wants to move a specific model of car to meet sales goals or get some cars off the lot. If the interest were baked into the sale price that would just inflate the sale price over competing products, even for people who don't qualify for the 0% loan, which wouldn't make a lot of sense to do.

Being able to get a lower rate on a car loan from the car company than from a bank is also a pretty common thing.

It's when they forget that the finance arm exists to sell cars and not the other way around that we get problems (and also a real good online bank).

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Not a Children posted:

So uh what’s the plan for handling a bunch of broke myopic seniors?

It is every citizen’s final duty to go into the tanks and
become one with all the people.

—Chairman Sheng-ji Yang,
“Ethics for Tomorrow”

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

A resort that I'll be staying at soon has all sorts of add-on excursions available. They mostly revolve around health and mindfulness so there's a lot of yoga and meditation classes, but this one is definitely my favorite:

e: or maybe I'll opt for the horse telepathy class instead:

Teeter fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Oct 27, 2017

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm assuming that's somewhere in Sedona right?

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Solice Kirsk posted:

My googlefu tells me if we were playing Geoguessr you would be in the same state.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Solice Kirsk posted:

Close, Tuscon.

I have some Hyatt rewards I need to cash out on and this is basically the most expensive option I could find available. I'll be feeding energy crystals to horses on Chase's dime but some people must spend a ton of money on this.

Teeter fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Oct 27, 2017

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Yeah that place is swanky. I have a family member who worked there, and she saw Oprah, Ellen Degeneres, Lance Armstrong, and a bunch of other A-listers there.

Also, eat a Sonoran hot dog while you are in Tucson. They are incredible

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
[Tell] me how to talk my friend out of owning horses

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."

Pipistrelle posted:

“Contract. Plaintiff and defendant co-own a house, but while plaintiff is paying the mortgage, defendant ‘comes and goes as she pleases while paying nothing.’"

Sounds like my marriage!

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

High Lord Elbow posted:

Sounds like my marriage!

Being Bad With Marriage is definitely BWM.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Being Bad With Marriage is definitely BWM.

When I got married and we joined our finances, my wife's substantial savings helped pay off my student loans. And then we were able to afford our 20% down payment on a house just a few years later.

Good With Marriage is so GWM it's silly.

AmishSpecialForces
Jul 1, 2008

Drunk Tomato posted:

Good With Marriage is so GWM it's silly.

Truth. Two incomes cooperating together have a much larger (positive) impact on a household's finances compared to two single people's households, each with the same income.
Plus, when one of you wants to eat out or blow a bunch of money on stupid poo poo (computers! with glowy bits! all the ram!), the significant other can tell you you're being BWM and stop the expense before it happens.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

AmishSpecialForces posted:

Truth. Two incomes cooperating together have a much larger (positive) impact on a household's finances compared to two single people's households, each with the same income.
Plus, when one of you wants to eat out or blow a bunch of money on stupid poo poo (computers! with glowy bits! all the ram!), the significant other can tell you you're being BWM and stop the expense before it happens.

Sounds like a hellish existence.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Thinking about Bad With Money, I was here last week:

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/heilan-horse-culture-museum

It was so, so much more bonkers than this description reads. This guy has spent literal billions of dollars on this place.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

AmishSpecialForces posted:

MY WIFE! discourages me from eating lunch out every single day which also helps me to not be fatter.

And being healthier is SUPER good with money in the long term.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Is it? If you're very healthy it just means that you'll manage to live into your 80s or 90s. Not only do you have a long retirement period to plan and budget for, you'll have to worry about complicated end of life care as you gradually get too infirm to look after yourself. And then you have to worry about things like dementia, making sure you have your stuff in order to care for yourself.

If you live a wildly unhealthy lifestyle, you can probably kill yourself from a heart attack or stroke in your 50s, and you'll bypass not only a lot of expensive end-of-life care, but also the need for retirement at all.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Ashcans posted:

Is it? If you're very healthy it just means that you'll manage to live into your 80s or 90s. Not only do you have a long retirement period to plan and budget for, you'll have to worry about complicated end of life care as you gradually get too infirm to look after yourself. And then you have to worry about things like dementia, making sure you have your stuff in order to care for yourself.

If you live a wildly unhealthy lifestyle, you can probably kill yourself from a heart attack or stroke in your 50s, and you'll bypass not only a lot of expensive end-of-life care, but also the need for retirement at all.

Best way to save money: die early

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

Best way to save money: die early

We all seem to be on the right path nowadays.

Good Parmesan
Nov 30, 2007

I TAKE PHOTOS OF OTHER PEOPLE'S CHILDREN IN PLANET FITNESS

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Live fast, die poor and unmourned.

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008

Puseklepp posted:

It's a musical instrument.

Who plays the 1812 Overture at their wedding though?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Went to lunch with some co-workers (BWM) and one of my co-workers told me she has spent ~$20,000 in vet bills for her cat since 2011. The cat is like 16-17 years old now.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Ashcans posted:

It is hard to apply statistics about lifetime cost of healthcare to an individual. The average person who lives to 80 spends hundreds of thousands on healthcare in their late 70s, but it is possible to get there with very little spending if you are relatively healthy. The same thing goes for many other statistics. If you have a job making $100k a year as a software programmer with no formal education past high school, going to college will not increase your lifetime earnings, but the average person with only a high school education will increase their lifetime earnings by over a million dollars on average by getting a degree.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

op posted:

I'm a Bitcoin millionaire looking to retire I'm now sitting at about $1.8MM worth of Bitcoin and I am ready to become financially independent.

quote:

Take the [tax] hit now, then invest that money in a more balanced approach for the long term. Bitcoin is very volatile.. what if in ten years his balance is peanuts he will have to go back to work.
In 15 weeks his balance could be peanuts.....for example, 15 weeks ago his 1.8Million was ~$475K, which obviously is not peanuts...but I would be selling that right now.

op posted:

I understand what you are saying about risk, but I disagree with the ratio example.

In 15 weeks, my balance could also be $6.8MM following that same ratio. Imagine selling and missing out on that delta.

:ironicat:

e. lotta dumbass discussion about tax evasion too. "just set up an offshore account in Switzerland no need to move just don't report it to the government :smug:" yes, committing white collar crime is best done in a permanent non-alterable ledger visible for anyone to see at a time when computing power increases exponentially.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Oct 28, 2017

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

“Sure, I could pull my chips off the table now, but what if the roulette wheel hits red six more times in a row? Imagine missing out on that delta.”

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Business, Finance, and Careers › Bad With Money: Imagine missing out on that delta

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

This is a loving awesome way to potentially get more for your car. I don't think 85 people are gonna be that stupid, but still. If you have like a total beater piece of poo poo and sell tickets for $5 each to potentially win it, then you'd probably come out ahead vs getting $50 for a scrap company to take it.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Vehicular tontines?

Dustoph posted:

Business, Finance, and Careers › Bad With Money: Imagine missing out on that delta

Thank you for this honor.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Oct 28, 2017

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Dustoph posted:

Mods please

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Solice Kirsk posted:

This is a loving awesome way to potentially get more for your car. I don't think 85 people are gonna be that stupid, but still. If you have like a total beater piece of poo poo and sell tickets for $5 each to potentially win it, then you'd probably come out ahead vs getting $50 for a scrap company to take it.

I could've sworn I had read something about some guy who raffled off his house and made quite a bit more than its market value.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Solice Kirsk posted:

Depending on book value of the car it could just be a way to get what it's worth. Is the car worth $8500? Maybe someone buys all the tickets in that case. I don't think we know if it is BWM or GWM until we know the value of the car.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Still BWM, as it almost certainly runs afoul of his state's gambling laws.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

SlapActionJackson posted:

Still BWM, as it almost certainly runs afoul of his state's gambling laws.

Yeah it certainly does in Iowa - you're only allowed to run a raffle as a non-profit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Teeter posted:

Close, Tuscon.

I have some Hyatt rewards I need to cash out on and this is basically the most expensive option I could find available. I'll be feeding energy crystals to horses on Chase's dime but some people must spend a ton of money on this.

Poor Freckles, thought of antimony and died.