Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

IncendiaC posted:

I don't think there's any point in doing the Halloween bonus contracts since they only need 1 star to unlock, you just need 1 or 2 extra stars to unlock multiple paths at once.

Do those stars count towards your other contracts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Baron von Eevl posted:

Do those stars count towards your other contracts?

I think so!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
:woop: BONUS STARS :woop:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I agree that the ambassador change was a bit much (the range should be lengthened I'm) but the Dr was a loving cancer and I'm glad it's been nerfed to death.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Grapplejack posted:

I agree that the ambassador change was a bit much (the range should be lengthened I'm) but the Dr was a loving cancer and I'm glad it's been nerfed to death.

Minor DR buff: the ragdoll generated when you feign can now damage enemies if it hits them.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I think the DR can survive in the current state if they add some other, small buff to it.
For example, they say spies should rely more on subtlety? Let the DR make the spy phase through enemies for the first 2 or 3 seconds after trigger. That way the spy can be even more unpredictable once it triggers, and the fake death can come across as even more convincing.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I'd be pretty happy with spies having rare super-ultra DR escapes instead of constant regular DR escapes.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Make it less subtle but potentially hilarious. Aggressive ragdoll combat tactics!

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I think the Ambassador balance is really a symptom of a greater TF2 problem. A lot of classes just don't have a place. I can't imagine a situation where having a Heavy would be preferable over a Soldier or Demo. (Aside from the current Pyro situation but even then good luck). Sniper feels like a direct upgrade to Spy, even if sentries can be a bit tricky. Pyro got a jetpack to help with ambushes but the Spy already exists and is now worse because Pyro can now get behind enemy lines on most maps.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Instead of nerfing his weapons, they should've just gone after the Spy directly. Restore the Enforcer and Ambassador to normal, but every time you pick Spy that's not hitting random, you just die in spawn 15 times.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I don't think anyone, even spies, want the old Enforcer back. That thing was broken as hell.

Tale
Jul 31, 2013

I've been spitballing in my head about the DR for a while. I think a fair buff to counter the DR nerf would be to put the initial damage resistance buffer on feign back up to like 90% (or whatever it was) but have the damage resistance instantly start wearing off instead of after 3 seconds or whatever. The wear off should be based on both time and absorbed damage. That still might be a little too strong along with the speed boost, so either remove it (and essentially revert it to it's old-old form, minus the ability to use ammo packs) or make it so that feigned spies flash upon taking any damage, even if it's immediately after the feign. With the second option, it means spies will have to better trick the enemy about which way they fled.

Or everyone could just always use the l'etranger with the DR, especially considering the amby is useless now. That's what I've been doing and I've been getting my feigns back pretty quickly.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
ughhhhhhhhh why did I pick Soda Popper contract over Black Box

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
The Dead Ringer is awful and I'm glad they ruined it. The Ambassador always seemed like a weird thing for the Spy to have, too. It's no surprise that the new TF2 team is having trouble balancing Spy, since a lot of the Spy's alternate weapons make no goddamn sense in the first place.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
My dumb idea for Amby is for it to do regular revolver damage, but have it mark targets for death. or alternatively have it do more damage from behind. Can't catch up to that medic to stab him. shoot his rear end instead!

Dead ringer should need to be recharged like the razorback used to. First time you use it, you cloak and feign death, with the damage reductions, but if you wanna poop out another ragdoll and make the enemy think you're dead and escape, you need to go back to the lockers at some point. Otherwise you just cloak as normal..

QwertySanchez fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 27, 2017

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
backstab detection vs normal stab is bad enough already, I don't want to get sidestabbed at range

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

lol today's patch

quote:

• Fixed all classes doing 3x damage when landing on enemies
  • Fixed the Flare Contract Bonus Objective requiring mini-crit kills instead of crit kills
  • Made it easier to score "defend an objective" style Contract objectives
  • Lowered the requirements for the Amputator Contract's bonus objectives
  • Fixed a case where players standing directly in front of the Pyro would not get burned
  • Fixed a bug related to the Medi Gun and changing class/loadout while being healed
  • Updated Mann vs. Machine
    • Removed the "Faster recharge rate" upgrades from The Dragon's Fury
    • Fixed the missing "Increased Airblast Push Force" upgrade on The Dragon's Fury
"Maybe we made the dragon a bit too strong in MvM"

I hope the "easier to score defend objectives" also counts for killing enemies pushing a cart, it's infuriating shooting at and killing people who were right next to the cart 1 second ago and not scoring on that.

Also

quote:

Updated the Case Global Unusual Effects to draw from a pool of previous years' Halloween Unusual effects during the Scream Fortress IX event. This applies to all cosmetic cases.
Time to open some crates! :homebrew:

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

wait
so they're not adding any of those awesome new Halloween maps/cosmetics from the workshop? :saddowns:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/440/workshop/

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Maybe new Halloween content next year. But we could get a Smissmass present of improved matchmaking?!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

nielsm posted:

But we could get a Smissmass present of improved matchmaking?!
Hopefully. Valve planned to put out their matchmaking refresh as part of Jungle Inferno, but apparently they didn't feel it was worthy of release yet. Given how much of a dog's breakfast Meet Your Match was, I'm not surprised that they're a little antsy about making sure they get it right (or at least less wrong) this time around.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Every time a match starts and everyone spends a few seconds held in place, unable to move, there are 1-2 people who are free to move around and leave the spawn. Random chance, or a glitch I could exploit?

Also, is there anything special you earn by finishing every single available contract (or primary objective)?

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

Oh god, completing a Halloween contract get's you...
a random non tradable/craftable, holiday restricted misc.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Toys For rear end Bum posted:

Oh god, completing a Halloween contract get's you...
a random non tradable/craftable, holiday restricted misc.

Yeah, same as last year.

It's not so bad.... when you don't get dupes in every single crate :argh:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Xander77 posted:

Every time a match starts and everyone spends a few seconds held in place, unable to move, there are 1-2 people who are free to move around and leave the spawn. Random chance, or a glitch I could exploit?

You can blast forward with the jetpack.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Ariong posted:

You can blast forward with the jetpack.

No it's every class doing it. And they fixed the jetpack working during freeze time.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, I've noticed that unfreeze seems irregular too. Sometimes I think it has to do with when you hit a movement key, like how jeopardy locks you out of answering for a sec if you try to buzz in too early.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Grapplejack posted:

The old DR was a pain in the goddamn rear end but the new one is just kind of trash. It was a pretty massive nerf to the thing.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
The main problem with the new DR is that it disrupts gameflow for the spy. Once it triggers, you just slither away somewhere, and then you have to sit on your rear end and wait until it recharges since you have no escapes or invisibility to get around with.

It's just boring.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Oct 28, 2017

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Just off the top of my head, what if you could pull out Dead Ringer and cloak when hit at any charge level, but only when it's fully charged do you drop a ragdoll and get the damage resistance?

Yes it's not at all subtle, but at least it gives you a middle ground between "nearly invulnerable at all times" and "can only cloak once every 60+ seconds."

E: thanks to whoever posted that performance cfg a while back, it's finally made the game playable for me again.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Here's an idea for "fixing" the DR: Keep the current charge time, but give it the old Big Earner effect of refilling cloak on a backstab kill. This would incentivize and reward spies willing to go in for backstabs while their DR is down, while not letting pistol spies use it as a "get out of jail for free" card.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy

nielsm posted:

lol today's patch

I just knew when I saw that they had fixed it so the pyro now did 3x falling damage with the jetpack, that all the other classes would be able to do it too.

Also aimbots are starting to pop back up.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Spy is doomed to be perpetually bad even with his get out of jail free card, give him the watch

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

How long do the Halloween contracts last? As long as the sale, or longer?

For some reason the Dragon Fury doesn't go through spawn doors. Which I think is... unique? I mean, you can't throw stickies through spawn doors, but at least the actual explosion damage penetrates.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Oct 28, 2017

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

QwertySanchez posted:

Also aimbots are starting to pop back up.

This game has by far the most number of cheats I have ever seen. I'm not even talking about 'hmm, that guy is really good at aiming, maybe suspiciously so', just the level of really blatant 360-spinning snipers. I can't comment on the times when I've wondered if someone is just being a tiny bit subtle.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Xander77 posted:

How long do the Halloween contracts last? As long as the sale, or longer?

For some reason the Dragon Fury doesn't go through spawn doors. Which I think is... unique? I mean, you can't throw stickies through spawn doors, but at least the actual explosion damage penetrates.

Are you talking about doors, or the no-entrance signs?

Because everything goes through the signs and nothing (afaik) goes through closed doors.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Jabor posted:

Are you talking about doors, or the no-entrance signs?
No-entrance signs.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

This game has by far the most number of cheats I have ever seen. I'm not even talking about 'hmm, that guy is really good at aiming, maybe suspiciously so', just the level of really blatant 360-spinning snipers. I can't comment on the times when I've wondered if someone is just being a tiny bit subtle.

my dude, have you heard of a little game called GTA:Online?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Oh hey that wasn't too hard actually.

Mostly just the slog of doing stupid things for contract bonus objectives.
I'll probably wait for a while before redeeming it or see if it's worth selling. Would be nice with a medigun in that pattern, but I'd rather much have it strange, otherwise it'd just be a downgrade.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
the direct hit contract helped me practice the weapon and the bonus objectives for it were real fun but i only got like 7 airborne enemy hits and only 1 minicrit kill despite hitting and killing people in the air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

nielsm posted:

I'll probably wait for a while before redeeming it or see if it's worth selling.
You can sell it right now - and it will (as I understand it) only go down in price as more people complete their contracts.