Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Nijinsky Hind posted:

I'm kind of done with comics for a while I think. I used to like superhero comics as a kid but when all of the Marvel screen adaptations started popping up in the 2000s I got really sick of them. I think I can understand the appeal of DC/Marvel series but I don't understand how DC/Marvel nerds aren't incredibly put off by the way they've been peddled in cinema and in print since the 2000s. I just don't find them that engaging, though I feel like they could have the potential to be good.

Similarly I'm also kind of put off of "alternative" comics, there's a sense of pretension of the artists to being totally unique despite copying each other all the time, it kind of mirrors the CalArts style in animation in a weird way, despite most alt comics artists coming from more than a single school or handful of schools, because they tend to have that same kind of feel to them that the artist went to art school & was heavily impressed upon in the same sort of way. There aren't as many distinctive artists or authors in alt comics anymore

Related to this: I was never into superheroes or comic books (which i thought was synonymous with superheroes) as a kid. I remember watching and enjoying the various cartoons in the 90s (x-men, spider-man, batman, superman, etc) but beyond that, not much. I was never like "Ooooh, Batman/Wolverine is so cool!!!". I liked them okay but they werent my favorite thing and i didnt need to consume everything. As a kid, my favorite things were dinosaurs, aliens, outer space, mythological stuff (Greek mythology), fantasy, etc., not superheroes. Later I was on an anime kick with Dragon Ball Z, Sailor Moon, etc.

Since 2000, i've liked some superhero movies well enough (the Sam Raimi spider-man films, a couple of the X-Men movies, a couple of MCU movies, etc) but lately its gotten to be way too drat much. Just way too many drat movies. Back in the 2000s, there were maybe 1 or 2 movies a year, maybe 3 max in a couple of years in the 2000-2010 interval. But since 2011 there hasn't been fewer than 3 big budget superhero movies a year. And in 2016 and this year, we've had six movies each year.

Thats a drat deluge. Way too many superhero movies. I think people will get sick of this stuff soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

MisterBibs posted:

I get that, but I feel like if you have a problem with gambling or loot-boxing because your lizard brain is so dominant that you can't control it, do the right thing and own that. Frame your rant for what it is - a personal issue based on your personality - and not the some terrible publisher thing must be fought and crusaded against. If something is too slow, I stop playing it. If I can't reasonably get the Sinestro skin so that Batman is dressed the thematically correct way, I don't get it.

The main problem is people can't admit that personal failure or knowingly have it but want to play anyway. They feel like they shouldn't be welcoming real money charges for gambling in to a game they already paid for. I'll buy cosmetics, hell, I've bought merch and been more than happy with it but I've never been satisfied with a loot box purchase, even when I got what I wanted.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Blue Star posted:

Related to this: I was never into superheroes or comic books (which i thought was synonymous with superheroes) as a kid. I remember watching and enjoying the various cartoons in the 90s (x-men, spider-man, batman, superman, etc) but beyond that, not much. I was never like "Ooooh, Batman/Wolverine is so cool!!!". I liked them okay but they werent my favorite thing and i didnt need to consume everything. As a kid, my favorite things were dinosaurs, aliens, outer space, mythological stuff (Greek mythology), fantasy, etc., not superheroes. Later I was on an anime kick with Dragon Ball Z, Sailor Moon, etc.

Since 2000, i've liked some superhero movies well enough (the Sam Raimi spider-man films, a couple of the X-Men movies, a couple of MCU movies, etc) but lately its gotten to be way too drat much. Just way too many drat movies. Back in the 2000s, there were maybe 1 or 2 movies a year, maybe 3 max in a couple of years in the 2000-2010 interval. But since 2011 there hasn't been fewer than 3 big budget superhero movies a year. And in 2016 and this year, we've had six movies each year.

Thats a drat deluge. Way too many superhero movies. I think people will get sick of this stuff soon.

I really am not into the Marvel movies, they’re very paint-by-numbers to me. I’m just ready for them to stop being water cooler talk. Also it’s annoying when people act all « tee hee I’m suuuuch a geek! » for liking these wildly successful blockbusters that everyone watches.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The Office is basically Parks and Rec before they figured out how to make charming characters or do anything funny. Also the "Assistant TO the Regional Manager" running gag wasn't funny the first time it happened and absolutely didn't need to keep going.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

dissss posted:

So it’s fine to roll in stinking of booze if you chuck a new shirt on?

That’s absurd, the problem isn’t with the dress code and shouldn’t be approached as such.

Establishing appearance standards does make it massively more likely the guy will take a quick shower, put on a fresh shirt and have some spray in his desk, yes.

These things make life much more pleasant for his coworkers, and hr when I go in to moan at them about him. The perception that your workplace is strict and capable of reprimanding you for being a slob does reduce disruptive behaviour.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Ties are stupid though. They serve no function and just get in the way.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Danaru posted:

The Office is basically Parks and Rec before they figured out how to make charming characters or do anything funny. Also the "Assistant TO the Regional Manager" running gag wasn't funny the first time it happened and absolutely didn't need to keep going.

PHUO: The original british Office was better, because it had brevity on it's side. The running gags and will-they-won't-they tension didn't have to be spun out for entire seasons. Especially considering the entire UK show is shorter than just the first season of the US version.

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

PHUO: The original british Office was better, because it had brevity on it's side. The running gags and will-they-won't-they tension didn't have to be spun out for entire seasons. Especially considering the entire UK show is shorter than just the first season of the US version.

Counterpoint: Ricky Gervais.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
British Office sucks

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
I kinda like ties. They look sharp and aren't uncomfortable if your shirt is the right size. Men don't get to accessorize much. Without ties we just have hats and we all know where that leads.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Ricky Gervais was good in Extras and nothing else, ever.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Ricky Gervais is obnoxious and has a weird gremlin laugh.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The best thing Ricky Gervais has done is introduce Karl Pilkington to the world.

Ricky Gervais has done some funny stuff, but he is so up his own rear end he's hard to enjoy at this point.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've never gotten Ricky Gervais. I never saw The Office and the first thing I knew him from was when he wrote and starred in an episode of The Simpsons, and all week leading up to its premiere on Sunday evening, Sky One ran all these adverts of him sitting with the most irritating :smug: grin pointing at a backdrop of the Simpsons' living room going, "Get it? Get it? It's me in The Simpsons!"

Then, on the Sunday, immediately before the episode started, it had this message on the screen that said something like, "Ricky Gervais would like to remind you that Channel Four does not show episodes of The Simpsons two years after Sky One; Ricky Gervais would like to remind you that Channel Four shows episodes four years after Sky One."

And then the episode wasn't very funny.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

The Ricky Gervais podcast/show with Stephen Merchant and Karl Pilkington is funny as hell

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Only watched the UK Office, the US one seemed like a poor imitation that missed the point of the original.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It only tried to imitate it during the first 4-5 episodes. After that they did their own thing.

There's an episode in the first season where the office workers play a basketball match against the warehouse people and it's genuinely funny and different.

Mu Zeta has a new favorite as of 22:41 on Oct 22, 2017

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I liked both the US and UK versions of The Office. Mostly I liked The Office TVIV threads because they would turn into god awful poo poo shows at the drop of a hat and it was hilarious.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
That's all of TVIV

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

I liked both the US and UK versions of The Office. Mostly I liked The Office TVIV threads because they would turn into god awful poo poo shows at the drop of a hat and it was hilarious.

Is that where "I acquit" came from?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
But we are at least in agreement that Karl Pilkington is the loveliest, saddest man.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

Is that where "I acquit" came from?

Yup! Also several page debates about if salt stains on cars were real, whether throwing cheeseballs into each other's mouths was CG, and whether it was a bike chain or bungee cord that Dwight threatened Andy with. That was my favorite one.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Derek loving owns, Ricky Gervais loving owns.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Jastiger posted:

Derek loving owns, Ricky Gervais loving owns.

I agree, the message is leaned on really hard at times but it remains a great show.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's ok to watch cartoons or even anime as an adult, but it's not ok to be a huge weirdo about it.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Turtlicious posted:

It's ok to watch cartoons or even anime as an adult, but it's not ok to be a huge weirdo about it.

Just don't be a weirdo about it even if it's Doctor Who or Fox News

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I like to watch old graphing calculators slowly trace a naughty drawing.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Caufman posted:

I like to watch old graphing calculators slowly trace a naughty drawing.

Hmm what about dot matrix printers and same? (PM me if you're interested and have your own crystals.)

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

starkebn posted:

Just don't be a weirdo

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Alan Moore failed miserably where Hugo Pratt succeeded spectacularly.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Comic Sans is a good typeface

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

starkebn posted:

Comic Sans is a good typeface

I agree and i hate the meme thing where people flip out over it. Its just a font who cares.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Papyrus is the worst font.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I agree and i hate the meme thing where people flip out over it. Its just a font who cares.

:agreed:

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Most things that the internet thinks are really bad or really good are actually just mediocre.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

Hmm what about dot matrix printers and same? (PM me if you're interested and have your own crystals.)

Before I do the incredibly intimate act of sending you a private message, I need to trust you better. I want to, though.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

A post about The Blues Brothers in another thread prompted this train of thought:

I really, really like Dan Aykroyd. I feel like most people don't, these days.

It's absolutely true that he's been in some pretty bad movies - not even just, like, duds that were forgotten, but movies that were so bad they are in the Bad Movie Canon - and that he has, gradually, outed himself as a little bit of a nutball. But I love him because of this. You watch his 70s/80s stuff and you know you're watching a comedic genius. The thing is, comedic genius is one of those things, especially if you're of that coke-fueled graduating class of his, that tends to kill you. What we're seeing is what happens when a comedic genius gets to survive, and settle down, retire, and just be themselves.

Aykroyd, man, he made his bones and he probably could honestly never move another muscle in his life and be perfectly well taken care of, but instead, he poured his windfall into being exactly who and what he wanted to be, which is, yes, exactly the sort of grade-A weirdo he liked to write about and portray. I am willing to believe every word that comes out of his mouth, because he has gone on the record as Famous Personality, Dan Aykroyd, saying some of the most mockable and apparently bonkers things in absolute, 100% sincerity.

So the dude has no incentive to lie. Also, I have had his vodka and it's really good.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Aykroyd is really strange on the second Blues Brothers live album (Made in America) - Belushi was really deep into his coke habit by the time they recorded it, so where he'd been a really active front man on the first album (Briefcase Full of Blues) he's basically silent when he's not singing for most of this one and it falls to Aykroyd to lead the band and run the show. But whereas Belushi, when they performed live, didn't really pretend to be anything other than John Belushi fronting a band, Aykroyd's fully in character as Elwood and has this bit in the middle of "Green Onions" where he does a full-on two-minute sermon about American foreign policy. It's very odd.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

THIS IS EXACTLY WHY I LOVE THAT MAN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The last two matrix movies were what I would call “good movies”.