Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Sonic Forces has more reused stuff than Sonic Mania, that's sad.
And they reuse them in worse ways, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The one thing that seemed intriguing about this game was the plot, specifically how they would beat an essentially unbeatable villain who immediately crushes Sonic on their first encounter, but if the answer is just that Sonic gets good and hits him until he goes away then it doesn't even have a story hook to keep me invested.

I've cancelled my preorder; I haven't even played Nier Automata yet, so I've got plenty of better things to spend the money on.

I think he's kind of weakened when Sonic+avatar beat him with Friendship and Courage, but I don't remember for sure. But yeah either way he's not defeated by some special strategy or anything, you just hit him a lot.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
https://twitter.com/NibrocRock/status/923992228619542528

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Welp, this is the straw that broke the camel's back. I tried to be positive for Forces since I loved Generations, but between the shittacular gameplay and 2006-era plot, I'm jumping onboard the Mania bandwagon and telling 3D Sonic to get hosed until they make another Generations-quality game.

Sorry beep by grandpa, I won't be able to make an avatar of you after all. We miss you. :(

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

so did sonic mania happen or not

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Stairmaster posted:

Classic Sonic is described as a Sonic from an alternate dimension. They all recognize him. When the ruby is destroyed, he gets sent back home.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Stairmaster posted:

Like, canonically? Does it matter either way considering nothing really happens in Mania?

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Some good points, to try and stay positive:
- Not every level is a straight line
- A lot of the music is pretty nice
- There's a level where Infinite fucks with everyone's perception of reality and there's like giant stretchy versions of him and i looks weird and cool
- Classic Sonic's Death Egg stage is based on the Sonic and Knuckles one and I might be mistaken but I think the heart from Sonic 4 Episode II's is in the background at the end
- Orbot and Cubot are in a few cutscenes doing Orbot and Cubot stuff
- Classic Sonic gets to go back to his dimension so we can hopefully have a Mania 2
- Certain posters in this thread will be delighted to know that Knuckles isn't stupid in this one and, while I can't confirm it, presumably knows his right from his left.
- Hmmm
- Gimme a sec
- Uh
- There's some neat looking stages
- There's some neat looking QTEs
- It didn't glitch up while I was watching
- There's no human love interest

Stairmaster posted:

It happened but some of the levels may have been VR.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Stairmaster posted:

Yes, the people spreading that rumor are idiots. The ending cutscenes clearly shows Tails saying that Mania Sonic is returning to his world/dimension/time/whatever, not that he was an illusion or anything.

The story does, however, give the impression that a lot of the Phantom Ruby stuff and remixes were created illusions. But considering how loose Forces is with consistency, you probably shouldn't read anything to that. All signs point to Mania happening.

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Like, canonically? Does it matter either way considering nothing really happens in Mania?

It doesn't, but you can imagine some fans getting mad at the implications that a game they like (Mania) would get treated like nothing important compared to the modern mediocre game (Forces).

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Ventana posted:

Yes, the people spreading that rumor are idiots. The ending cutscenes clearly shows Tails saying that Mania Sonic is returning to his world/dimension/time/whatever, not that he was an illusion or anything.

The story does, however, give the impression that a lot of the Phantom Ruby stuff and remixes were created illusions. But considering how loose Forces is with consistency, you probably shouldn't read anything to that. All signs point to Mania happening.

It doesn't, but you can imagine some fans getting mad at the implications that a game they like (Mania) would get treated like nothing important compared to the modern mediocre game (Forces).

I think the main thing is that I can certainly see some people take this out of context, and see it as a "Modern Sonic is the one true Sonic who we envision as the future. Classic/Mania Sonic is now an alternate universe Sonic that only occasionally pops up and isn't as important as Modern Sonic" declaration from Sonic Team. Which is totally overthinking things but I can see the more overzealous fans subscribing to this theory.

There is something else about all this I find interesting, I wonder now if instead of an OC helping out, at one point it was supposed to be Modern Sonic, Mania Sonic and Boom Sonic sharing center stage. Like if this game was in the planning development stages since...let's say early 2015 is when they started planning it out, then I could see at one point everything involving the Avatar being done by Boom Sonic. Like this would have been scrapped before they did any sort of story development or whatever.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Despite all the extra time in development this game actually feels even more half-baked than Lost World did. What the hell happened?

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

The only sonic games that actually happened were 1, 2, cd, spinball, 3, K, and Mania. Anything outside of those is a terrible fever dream.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

There's no way in hell the game was in development for that long. The concept may have been around then, but as far as actual production goes I'm guessing they started not long before they announced it as "Project Sonic 2017" in 2015 or whenever.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

There's no way in hell the game was in development for that long. The concept may have been around then, but as far as actual production goes I'm guessing they started not long before they announced it as "Project Sonic 2017" in 2015 or whenever.

Still looks pretty poo poo for even a game with a 2 year production cycle.

I still want to play it just for the dumb OC creator. Hopefully it won’t be too long before I can find a cheap used Switch copy.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Has the soundtrack leaked anywhere seeing as the game has? I have a mighty need for the extended cut of Eggman Facility and some other funky remixes.

Kaliedoscope
Dec 8, 2013

Screaming Idiot posted:

Sorry beep by grandpa, I won't be able to make an avatar of you after all. We miss you. :(

What happened to him?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Classic Sonic being from another dimension is stupendously dumb. Like Generations worked entirely on the idea of past and present Sonic, and now they've decided that it's another dimension. Christ alive, kill Sonic Team and keep the good people like Jun Shenoe.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Classic Sonic being from another dimension is stupendously dumb. Like Generations worked entirely on the idea of past and present Sonic, and now they've decided that it's another dimension.
So it's just like Blaze in reverse, then.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Augus posted:

Despite all the extra time in development this game actually feels even more half-baked than Lost World did. What the hell happened?

Sonic team is staffed entirely by people who hate sonic and want him to suffer

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Classic Sonic being from another dimension is stupendously dumb. Like Generations worked entirely on the idea of past and present Sonic, and now they've decided that it's another dimension. Christ alive, kill Sonic Team and keep the good people like Jun Shenoe.

no this is perfect the timeline finally makes sense

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Shadow Hog posted:

So it's just like Blaze in reverse, then.

Nonono, see, Blaze is still from another dimension. She was in 2006 because Don't Worry About It but Eggman Nega, the character specifically designed to be an alternate dimension version of Eggman, is from the future. And Eggman's descendant. And HATES Eggman, despite being his ally in the Rush games.

Sonic continuity is a joke. Come to think of it, they never even mention anything about why Silver is in the present in Forces, do they? If someone plays the game and hasn't read the comic they released on Twitter they're not gonna know why Silver is there or why Knuckles is a resistance leader suddenly. Hmm... it's almost like the comics were made after the fact to try and explain away the stuff they didn't care about.

Hitlersaurus Christ fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 29, 2017

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
its the game series about the blue hedgehog that runs fast and defeats a fat scientist with gem powers, the continuity doesnt really matter.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

It's the principle of the matter.

That seems like a pointless detail for them to establish.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

*Custom avatar throws away dogtags with the players name on them, while a lot of businessmen walk in the ruins of station square*

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

They didn't establish that exactly, that's just what we can probably infer after learning about the plot device used in it. The events of Mania aren't really mentioned directly.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Essentially the Phantom Ruby creates illusions that can be felt and directly gently caress with your brain, Eggman's surefire plan to win is just dropping a Sun on the resistance with the Ruby

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

ArfJason posted:

*Custom avatar throws away dogtags with the players name on them, while a lot of businessmen walk in the ruins of station square*

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Skipped bunches of pages, is Forces good

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Calaveron posted:

Doesn’t seem so. It’s not Sonic ‘06 levels of bad though.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Calaveron posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfbK_dbsCu0

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Calaveron posted:

Mediocre at best from what I've been hearing so far.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Concensus I've heard is that it's hovering somewhere above heroes on the spectrum.

So not amazing, but also not Shadow the Hedgehog/2006 levels of bad.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Kurieg posted:

Concensus I've heard is that it's hovering somewhere above heroes on the spectrum.

So not amazing, but also not Shadow the Hedgehog/2006 levels of bad.

Heroes was a dull slog, which is what Forces is looking like it'll be, so that seems pretty accurate.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

Kaliedoscope posted:

What happened to him?

Seriously, it's weird without his chill sonic posts

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

ArfJason posted:

blood type: chili dog

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Some people are liking it quite a bit. Infinite apparently has quite a bit of Charisma.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also, here's the full version of Fist Bump. It's...not bad, I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TngnwXEIDq0

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Oct 29, 2017

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Honestly Forces would have had a good plot if it was self-aware and throwing in the overly dramatic poo poo as a nod to the series' past. Overly edgy poo poo like Infinite with self-aware humor would have made for a simple, solid story.

Corny poo poo like, Sonic has been taken prisoner and is being tortured, but the torture is the drowning countdown music being played over and over in his cell. I honestly thought that was the direction we were going given the Twitter account, the ability to make OC, and so forth...but I dunno. I'm more curious in the tone of Forces than where Mania fits in the Zelda timeline.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Near as I can tell from the footage I've seen, while it's a bit darker in tone than the previous few games it never really goes into Shadow the Hedgehog/06 levels at any point and there's still plenty of jokey moments scattered throughout. A bit more self-awareness probably would have made it better though.

At the very least, it's nice to see the other voice actors besides Sonic, Tails and Eggman finally get some work outside of Sonic Boom though.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Oct 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

MonsterEnvy posted:

Some people are liking it quite a bit. Infinite apparently has quite a bit of Charisma.

Being voiced by Liam O'Brien does that to you.