Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

doverhog posted:

Finnish cops are trained to shoot for the legs, to wound. Can it really be too much to ask for the average citizen?

Yes, it is too much to ask me to reduce my chances of survival in order to preserve the life of the person who is trying to kill me.

Lurking Haro posted:

So you are already physically struggling with the attacker?
No one's blaming you for shooting them center mass then, but why did you let it come to this?

Yeah, if you didn’t want to be stabbed, why did you let that person get so close to stabbing you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 37 hours!
*shoots leg, nicks femoral* whoopsie

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

doverhog posted:

Just a little while ago there was a terrorist knife man in Turku, Finland. The cops shot him in the leg and he lived to be interrogated.

Can you tell me about the legality of the Punisher's gun-that-shoots-knives in these situations? Please be as detailed as possible. Bonus points if you delve into international law and not just Finnish.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Proteus Jones posted:

Anyway, my takeaway is Euro laws are far more interested in protecting the perpetrators than the victims of violent crimes like home invasion.
Euro laws are more interested in keeping the casualities down, as a live is worth more than whatever a burglar can carry out your house.

quote:

What about people with a heart condition or COPD? Or any one of a myriad of conditions that preclude being able to elude an attacker?
Then you can't run and can react as if you are cornered, but wasn't the point that there are a lot of ways to deal with it instead of shooting someone outright?

-e-

Byzantine posted:

*shoots leg, nicks femoral* whoopsie

*get shot in chest, damaged spinal chord but survives, gets paid support by the *victim* for life* whoopsie

Lurking Haro has a new favorite as of 17:56 on Oct 28, 2017

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_6bmrqIsP8

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Home decor for a new millennium:
https://weburbanist.com/2013/02/05/self-defense-decor-3-furshings-fend-off-home-invaders/

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

Just thinking about what to do with all the money I don't have.
If someone is trying to stab you just let it happen. You wouldn't want to risk hurting them by defending yourself, so it's easier to just die.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Proteus Jones posted:

Anyway, my takeaway is Euro laws are far more interested in protecting the perpetrators than the victims of violent crimes like home invasion.

The most American take.

I agree it's a lot to ask of the victim, but I do think we put way put too much emphasis on protecting stuff over people. My old upstairs neighbor used to have a big scary assault rifle that blinked a light in your face to confuse you, even though he owned nothing of value worth killing a man for ever. It just bothered him someone might be in his space, and if they ever were HE WOULD KILL THEM, MOTHERFUCKERS.

He had so many cameras and alarm systems there's no way someone would've gotten upstairs undetected, but just in case, BIG loving GUN in an apartment complex. Smart thinking, friend!

Why do Americans think everyone's coming for their poo poo? I say this AS an American. Paranoia that people are gonna take our poo poo and we need to protect it is one of our biggest cultural identifiers.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 37 hours!

Lurking Haro posted:

gets paid support by the *victim* for life

You guys are hosed up.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Proteus Jones posted:

Yes, it is. When people are under extreme stress triggering an adrenal response, fine motor movement goes out the window. More so if they have minimal training since they have almost no muscle memory. Most people, hell even most cops, are lucky to even hit someone at all in confrontations. Of course that leads to situations where misses can be dangerous depending on ammo in use. Most defense against home invasion like that is best served with a shotgun.

They are more interested in fostering a culture where shooting someone is never assumed to be acceptable.

The best defense against home invasion is a robust social policy and welfare system so they happen less.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
http://nationalpost.com/news/walt-wawra

quote:

American tourist who lamented lack of gun during encounter in Calgary park sparks online ridicule

Walt Wawra, who felt the need to pack heat in a Calgary park has set off a storm of social media ridicule

An American tourist who felt the need to pack heat in a Calgary park has set off a storm of social media ridicule. And now it’s emerging that the “very aggressive” strangers he encountered may have just been representatives from an oil company giving out free passes to the Stampede.

Earlier this week, Walt Wawra detailed an unnerving, at least according to him, recent run-in with two young men in a Calgary park who asked if he had been to the Stampede in a “very aggressive tone.”

The off-duty cop from Kalamazoo, Mich., brushed them off, but lamented his lack of a handgun in a letter to the Herald.

Wawra’s response to the seemingly mundane, daylight encounter has sparked scorn across the Internet.

Gawker called Wawra the “laughingstock of Canada.”

“Walt Wawra is why we can’t have nice things,” wrote blogger Shea Wong.

The Huffington Post Canada described it as “Fear and Loathing in Cowtown.”

Wawra did not return requests for an interview Wednesday. However, he previously detailed his account of a chance meeting in a letter to the editor.

During a trip through Nose Hill Park with his wife, the couple were asked by two men if they had “Been to the Stampede yet?”

Wawra didn’t reply, and was asked again. The aggressive tone had the off-duty cop instinctively reaching for his handgun.

“I quickly moved between these two and my wife, replying, ‘Gentlemen, I have no need to talk with you, goodbye,’ ” he wrote.

Despite describing the men as bewildered, Wawra thanked “the Lord Jesus Christ they did not pull a weapon of some sort.”

The 20-year officer lamented the strange feeling of being unarmed.

“Many would say I have no need to carry [a gun] in Canada,” Wawra wrote. “Yet the police cannot protect everyone all the time. A man should be allowed to protect himself if the need arises.”

Subsequent to the online furor over the letter, Calgary Cultural Ambassador Jenn Lutz said in a tweet that the two “very aggressive” men Wawra encountered were simply giving out free stampede passes.

The report that the men were promoters was, however, contested by a media relations manager of the Stampede in an interview with the local Kalamazoo paper.

Congregating under the Twitter hashtag: #NoseHillGentlemen, the Twittersphere mocked the officer’s paranoia after his letter was posted online.

“At the off leash this morning when two terriers started to sniff my dog, If only Canada would allow my dog to pack heat. #nosehillgentlemen,” wrote Connor Turner.

“Ice cream truck just sped past house. Sir, I have no need for your refreshing pseudo-milk product treats. Goodbye. #NoseHillGentlemen,” teased Kikki Planet.

Chris Turner, one of the masterminds behind the trending tag, said it shows the power of social media.

“It’s an absurd, silly little demonstration of how powerful this tool is,” said Turner, a Calgary journalist and author.

Rebecca Sullivan, a professor of cultural studies at the University of Calgary, said the story has a short shelf life given a rapid news cycle.

But it will evolve into other discussions about park safety, border politics or the Stampede, Sullivan said.

“That’s what conversations do,” she said.

Below is the letter from Kalamazoo, Mich., tourist Walt Wawra that set off a storm of social media ridicule after it was published in the Calgary Herald. Subsequent to the online furor, Calgary Cultural Ambassador Jenn Lutz said in a tweet that the two “very aggressive” men Mr. Wawra encountered were giving out free stampede passes.

"I recently visited Calgary from Michigan. As a police officer for 20 years, it feels strange not to carry my off-duty hand-gun. Many would say I have no need to carry one in Canada. Yet the police cannot protect everyone all the time. A man should be al-lowed to protect himself if the need arises. The need arose in a theatre in Aurora, Colo., as well as a college campus in Canada. Recently, while out for a walk in Nose Hill Park, in broad daylight on a paved trail, two young men approached my wife and me. The men stepped in front of us, then said in a very aggressive tone: “Been to the Stampede yet?” We ignored them. The two moved closer, repeating: “Hey, you been to the Stampede yet? I quickly moved between these two and my wife, replying, “Gentle-men, I have no need to talk with you, goodbye.” They looked bewildered, and we then walked past them. I speculate they did not have good intentions when they approached in such an aggressive, disrespectful and menacing manner. I thank the Lord Jesus Christ they did not pull a weapon of some sort, but rather concluded it was in their best interest to leave us alone. Would we not expect a uniformed officer to pull his or her weapon to intercede in a life-or-death encounter to protect self, or another? Why then should the expectation be lower for a citizen of Canada or a visitor? Wait, I know – it’s because in Canada, only the criminals and the police carry handguns. Walt Wawra, Kalamazoo, Mich. "

Postmedia News with files from National Post Staff

The General
Mar 4, 2007

StrangersInTheNight posted:

The most American take.

I agree it's a lot to ask of the victim, but I do think we put way put too much emphasis on protecting stuff over people. My old upstairs neighbor used to have a big scary assault rifle that blinked a light in your face to confuse you, even though he owned nothing of value worth killing a man for ever. It just bothered him someone might be in his space, and if they ever were HE WOULD KILL THEM, MOTHERFUCKERS.

He had so many cameras and alarm systems there's no way someone would've gotten upstairs undetected, but just in case, BIG loving GUN in an apartment complex. Smart thinking, friend!

Why do Americans think everyone's coming for their poo poo? I say this AS an American. Paranoia that people are gonna take our poo poo and we need to protect it is one of our biggest cultural identifiers.

Do you want the King of England coming in and pushing you around?

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYwd0Wus5Ik&t=79s

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

Well he's a cop, they're trained to fear for their life from a gust of wind. Of course he'd freak out at a normal social interaction while unarmed.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

RyokoTK posted:

I mean, a more charitable take is that the laws put a much higher value on human life (even the life of the perpetrator) than the property being imperiled, since theoretically if dudes bust in through the front door with knives, you could leave out the back.

The original post wasn't about a burglary, it was about a man menacing you with a knife. The guy is already up in your face, he's pulled a knife and is threatening you, and your biggest concern is making sure that you don't attack him with anything more powerful than his own weapon.

What if I don't have a knife like his? Am I allowed to hit him with a hammer? What kind of hammer would have equivalent killing power to, say, a paring knife? What if he's much bigger than me and is only carrying a Swiss Army knife, but I'm much smaller than him and have a 16 pound sledge hammer? Then which one of us is at fault for the fight?

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Reading this derail is self-harm, not schadenfreude.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Sagebrush posted:

The original post wasn't about a burglary, it was about a man menacing you with a knife. The guy is already up in your face, he's pulled a knife and is threatening you, and your biggest concern is making sure that you don't attack him with anything more powerful than his own weapon.

What if I don't have a knife like his? Am I allowed to hit him with a hammer? What kind of hammer would have equivalent killing power to, say, a paring knife? What if he's much bigger than me and is only carrying a Swiss Army knife, but I'm much smaller than him and have a 16 pound sledge hammer? Then which one of us is at fault for the fight?

I mean, a knife does 1d4 damage and a hammer does 1d6, so you have to resort to an improvised weapon lest you out-damage him. And knives are finesse weapons so size doesn't really matter if you're nimble.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I once read about a guy who hurt himself breaking into a house and sued the homeowner because his injuries meant he wasn't able to do his job, and his job was breaking into houses.

Probably fake, but I sort of want it to be true.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
I'm going to murder this thread.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Make sure you only do it with shitposting so that there is no power imbalance

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

RyokoTK posted:

I mean, a knife does 1d4 damage and a hammer does 1d6, so you have to resort to an improvised weapon lest you out-damage him. And knives are finesse weapons so size doesn't really matter if you're nimble.

What if you have a little martial arts training and have a slight reach advantage against him?

Would some DBZ-style weighted clothing make it a fair fight?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

oh dope posted:

I'm going to murder this thread.

mods????

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

It's very common for both people involved in a fight to be guilty of a crime. One started it and the other continued or escalated it.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Byzantine posted:

You guys are hosed up.

That's not the course of events in Europe :ssh:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

doverhog posted:

It's very common for both people involved in a fight to be guilty of a crime. One started it and the other continued or escalated it.

If I punch you once for no reason and then you punch me back three times because you're angry and startled, who goes to jail?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Neither one goes to jail, but a few years down the line both will get some day-fines, assuming the cops showed up and the prosecutor bothers with the case.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

The disproportionate force laws in Europe the generally just to stop exactly that, I'm not going to comment on Finland because maybe that really is just insane. In the UK you can defend yourself but not your property and you can use reasonable force. So if someone punches you in the face you can give them a beating to stop them but if you're clearly winning the fight you cannot just beat them to within a inch of their life because you feel like it. If someone breaks into your house and is coming at you then you could legitimately shoot them, but not if theyre running aways even with all your things, looking at you Tony Martin. So its not about you get stabbed once so you get to stab him once, its you get stabbed youre allowed to do enough to stop him stabbing you.

Its really impossible to compare the US to Europe because they're such massive areas, like no European city is in the top 50 most dangerous cities in the world but some US cities are. That doesn't make Europe safer than the US but certainly some US cities are insanely dangerous for a developed country.

Tip Shades
Oct 28, 2016
If someone tries to eyepoke me, but I put up my hand to block it, am I entitled to a free eye poke? Maybe with just one finger?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I once read about a guy who hurt himself breaking into a house and sued the homeowner because his injuries meant he wasn't able to do his job, and his job was breaking into houses.

Probably fake, but I sort of want it to be true.

There was a case of a burglar falling through a school's skylight and becoming a quadriplegic. The school's insurance settled, instead of going to full trial, though. Bodine vs Enterprise High School.

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

I just can't imagine the absurdity of paying a criminal for the inconvenience of getting injured while trying to steal from you.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Aramoro posted:

The disproportionate force laws in Europe the generally just to stop exactly that, I'm not going to comment on Finland because maybe that really is just insane. In the UK you can defend yourself but not your property and you can use reasonable force. So if someone punches you in the face you can give them a beating to stop them but if you're clearly winning the fight you cannot just beat them to within a inch of their life because you feel like it. If someone breaks into your house and is coming at you then you could legitimately shoot them, but not if theyre running aways even with all your things, looking at you Tony Martin. So its not about you get stabbed once so you get to stab him once, its you get stabbed youre allowed to do enough to stop him stabbing you.

This is how it works in the United States too, except in some states where they have the insane "shoot anybody at any time if they're on your property" sort of laws. You don't have to worry about how much force you're applying until you have clearly won the fight, and it is okay to respond to a guy attacking you with a knife by shooting him. If you pull your gun and he stops and runs away, though, shooting him in the back is no longer self-defense.

Finland sounds like an insane place and the laws seem to be structured around everybody getting in drunken street fights every night or something?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Tip Shades posted:

If someone tries to eyepoke me, but I put up my hand to block it, am I entitled to a free eye poke? Maybe with just one finger?

No, you are obligated to call them a wise guy and maybe try to slap them. But be warned they may duck your slap resulting in your hitting someone else who wasn’t previously involved in the altercation.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

Finland sounds like an insane place and the laws seem to be structured around everybody getting in drunken street fights every night or something?

From my simple understanding of Finland, this is probably the most accurate assessment.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

doverhog posted:

Finnish cops are trained to shoot for the legs, to wound.

Bullshit.

quote:

Can it really be too much to ask for the average citizen?

It's too much to ask for cops.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Aramoro posted:

Its really impossible to compare the US to Europe because they're such massive areas, like no European city is in the top 50 most dangerous cities in the world but some US cities are. That doesn't make Europe safer than the US but certainly some US cities are insanely dangerous for a developed country.

Yeah and that's fundamentally not too much different than in the US. The principle is that you cannot use deadly force to defend property (except in weird edge cases in certain states, like "at night in Texas"). You can always use force to defend your person.

"Castle doctrine" or "stand your ground" laws are modifiers to that principle, which means that under certain circumstances and in absence of better information, you can assume that someone intends to do you harm and jump right up the force escalation pyramid to deadly force. So, someone walks into your unlocked front door, grabs your laptop, and starts walking away with it. You are not legally (or morally) justified to bean them with a baseball bat or shoot them.
Someone kicks in your front door and starts running towards you (with your laptop next to you), you don't need to know for sure that he's not after the laptop and is there to hurt you, you are legally justified in assuming the worst and defending yourself with deadly force.

Here is a comic with cowboys explaining all the self defense law principles in the US
http://lawcomic.net/guide/?p=864

BovineFury
Oct 28, 2007
I moo for great justice!
Quit the derail and get back to work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpDpsHTGKVc

The General
Mar 4, 2007

canyoneer posted:

So, someone walks into your unlocked front door, grabs your laptop, and starts walking away with it. You are not legally (or morally) justified to bean them with a baseball bat or shoot them.

What if they're a nazi?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Phanatic posted:

Bullshit.

Uh, I suggest you look into it, because it is true. Too much to ask? Maybe, but it is asked regardless.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Can't we just laugh at dumb people and animals falling down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

doverhog posted:

Uh, I suggest you look into it, because it is true. Too much to ask? Maybe, but it is asked regardless.

Bullshit. Cite or retract.