Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

VolticSurge posted:

So, I keep hearing from my friends that the black lady (Grace, I think that's her name) is an obnoxious writer's pet/Mary-Sue, apparently. She seems fine from what I've seen. Can anyone confirm/deny?

I imagine she's the sort of character that "challenges" certain kinds of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Playing on the difficulty above Medium i have died a lot, which doesn't bother me, but it does bother me that there is NO autosaving when you go back to replay the missions later on. I have lost like 20 mins of progress cos of this :(

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Good to hear that Grace is actually cool. Now I'm wondering- is there any truth to GUI's statement that the game's story is Shadow Warrior 2-tier? Because even my most racist vitriolic friends say the story's really good.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The story is fine? I have no idea what GUI is talking about, it's basically more of what New Order established taken to the next step. And the environmental storytelling rivals Half Life 2 if not surpassing it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Deified Data posted:

I imagine she's the sort of character that "challenges" certain kinds of people.

yeah, i like grace enough so far, she is interesting. though i guess dont get what she saw in super spesh. dudes while cool, is a loving moron, did he really think his magic prison escape plan would work. did he think the nazis didnt have loving cameras in the room or hell even figure out its all a plan to get bj out.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
It's had some really memorable moments so far, and I played SW2 and can't rmember anything. There is a LOT of work gone into the cutscenes. I haven't finished it yet so i don't know how it strings together overall, but there's some individual moments that have been like the gaming highlight of the year for me

Everything in the Venus cutscene was amazing

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

:qq:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Fergus and Gace just met and it was 👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻 those two are destined for love

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
I found the only problem with the Dieselkraftwerk: It's possibly to blow the Über Nazis right out of the map, so you can't actually retrieve their identification papers.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Do you get enough upgrade kits to max out everything? Or should I be saving them?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Holy poo poo the 00:23 time on the shooting range is just absurd. Fastest time I got so far was like 00:57.

Mordja posted:

Do you get enough upgrade kits to max out everything? Or should I be saving them?
I would also like to know this.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Ravenfood posted:

Holy poo poo the 00:23 time on the shooting range is just absurd. Fastest time I got so far was like 00:57.

Soshana is literally a cat/monkey hybrid. I don't think you're supposed to beat it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Turtlicious posted:

What's the best upgrade to start with? I went for Extendy Legs, and they seem rad af.

I took extendo legs and I have no regrets. Being able to keep health pack hp without it draining is a very nice bonus. Ram shackles also seem good while the constrictor harness just seems real poo poo.

King Vidiot posted:

What exactly is the appreciable difference, if any, between choosing Wyatt or Fergus? Because pre-release I heard that one gets the power armor and one doesn't (at all?), but from the way everybody's talking both paths get you the same power armor and lead to the same outcome.

Picking Wyatt gives you a sticky grenade launcher. It's alright. Picking Fergus gives you a laser weapon. Looks like both of them do the same damage with the same ammo capacity in the end so it's up to you.

You can also find heavy weapon versions around the levels ie the bigger more powerful ones so don't worry too much about it.

Ravenfood posted:

I haven't used the LKW, but it seems like both heavy weapons that I've come across are basically variants of the DKW/LKW. Some of the heavies have come at me packing what basically feels like a DKW with more ammo/slower movement, and I figured the LKW had the same relationship to the Lasergewehr. If so, it will still melt armored enemies right quick.

Also, any absolutely essential weapon upgrades? So far I picked silenced pistols, AP rifle, and +ammo DKW, all of which have felt incredibly useful.

The rotor barrels upgrade + bigger magazines for the shotguns. They will melt even the biggest enemies in seconds. :getin:

Suppressors for the machine pistols would probably be my next highest priority upgrade.

Mordja posted:

99% sure that there are enough upgrades for everything.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Steam has me at 10 hours to 'finish' the game. Bunch of side content I haven't done yet, plus I need to try a Fergus timeline. Ending was slightly abrupt but it was still nicely paced. Also the credit music :stare:

Gameplay wise it was solid enough. Going full Apache on Nazis never got old, both in the Native American and helicopter gunship sense. Only mixed combo I used a lot was Sturmgewehr in one hand, and shotgun in the other. Absolute murder against most anything once you get the shrapnel upgrade, which while nowhere near as good as in NWO, is still good and there's less of an ammo restriction.

Main complaints are, again, squishy Billy which is a combination of not enough player feedback to getting shot, plus most enemies can burn through your full armour and health quite fast. Those loving ninja robots were the worst for that. Also the pickup system doesn't quite work so I still had to hammer the pickup key, and even that would be extremely fussy on where you had to look to grab things. Lost so many hatchets over those 10 hours...

Was also impressed with how they handled the Blazkowicz family backstory. The flashback with BJ, his BB gun and his dad was really nice and still fit with the domestic abuse, child abuse, dog murdering, and betraying his wife to the Nazis that happened, and avoided just making him evil because evil. I had sympathy for his situation, but not his decisions. Gutted the gently caress as soon as the game allowed me to.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

I started over from the beginning with Uber shadows/image streaming on the hardest difficulty. Trying to take my time and find more secrets / silently hatchet my way through as much as possible. It's actually a lot better than I thought it would be. Dying instantly means you have to lean around poo poo constantly and I get the impression this is really how they wanted us to play the game.

I did not notice that there were pots I could throw at dad in the closet scene, or that I could miss shooting the dog. I have also noticed a few other 'subtle choices' wrt finding a few secrets.

Really Pants posted:

I've only tried Wyatt's path so far but I think the difference is that saving Fergus gets you the good old Laserkraftwerk, and saving Wyatt gets you the Dieselkraftwerk--a bitchin' sticky flame bomb launcher.

I wish stuff like this was called out more obviously, I'd like to save Wyatt but get the LKW.

It's cool that they gave us the Terror Billy coat in QC. "2 Down 7 To Go" is extremely badass

New Zealand can eat me fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 28, 2017

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I'm glad to find out of not just me who can't tell when/if/how severely I'm getting killed. I can't actually articulate what is it that other games do exactly to relay this information to me clearly, but I can sure tell you this game is not.

Still having fun though, but it's not rocking my world as much as DOOM did right out of the gate.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Is there a way to turn off the headbobbing?

I have literally never had any issue with headbob in games before but something about the way Wolfenstein 2 does it makes it really jarring and annoying to play.

EDIT: Also is there a way to turn off mouse acceleration? It's pissing me off as well.

a kitten posted:

I'm glad to find out of not just me who can't tell when/if/how severely I'm getting killed. I can't actually articulate what is it that other games do exactly to relay this information to me clearly, but I can sure tell you this game is not.

Still having fun though, but it's not rocking my world as much as DOOM did right out of the gate.

It feels like there's no tell for getting hit, or if there is it's not clear enough.
No loud enough grunts of pain, no red flashing indicating the direction of where you got hit from, no strawberry jam smeared on the screen, no warning beeping when at low health.

At least they're not clear enough to be noticed mid battle.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Oct 28, 2017

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Paingod556 posted:

Was also impressed with how they handled the Blazkowicz family backstory. The flashback with BJ, his BB gun and his dad was really nice and still fit with the domestic abuse, child abuse, dog murdering, and betraying his wife to the Nazis that happened, and avoided just making him evil because evil. I had sympathy for his situation, but not his decisions. Gutted the gently caress as soon as the game allowed me to.
In the end, when you weight the consequences of all of his actions, BJ's dad comes out good, for setting BJ down the path of becoming a gun-toting Nazi-killing maniac.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

What's the best upgrade to start with? I went for Extendy Legs, and they seem rad af.

They seem pretty good no matter which you pick.

I chose the constrictor and it lets me sneak through places better and also slows down time when I am about to be detected. Good stuff.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Max Hass: Chessmaster.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

They seem pretty good no matter which you pick.

I chose the constrictor and it lets me sneak through places better and also slows down time when I am about to be detected. Good stuff.
Yeah, haven't tried the others, but it seems like they compliment different play styles. If you like sneaking around, the constrictor is great, while it's probably garbage for someone who loves going in guns blazing.

Nicaden
Feb 17, 2012
Is there a point of no return to do sidequests? I just finished Venus and am off to find Wyatt . I’ve been doing all the sidequests I can and was wondering if progressing the main story will lock me into the endgame without any warning.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

VolticSurge posted:

Good to hear that Grace is actually cool. Now I'm wondering- is there any truth to GUI's statement that the game's story is Shadow Warrior 2-tier? Because even my most racist vitriolic friends say the story's really good.

:wtf: I liked Shadow Warrior 2's gameplay but the story was a disjointed mess. I'm just after the courtroom fight and it just keeps escalating. While it's not quite as tight as Wolf:TNO it's no where near SW2.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The rotor barrels upgrade + bigger magazines for the shotguns. They will melt even the biggest enemies in seconds. :getin:
Yeah, I just got the rotor barrels and godDAMN am I happy I saved that upgrade kit. On the other hand, I don't really see the need for silenced SMGs just because the pistol is such a wrecking-house, not only sneaking but if you get cornered it can still do some really good work. It seems to hit like a truck. Anyone know what the magnum upgrade does for it if you try to sneak? Does it just negate the silencer or what?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

There was a story in Shadow Warrior 2? I must've been too busy cleaving demons in half to notice.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

The LKW isn't quite the particle cannon from FEAR, but it's close enough for me

That said, I might have to do a bunch of loving around with graphic and control setting because even lowest graphics and low resolution it drags a bunch and it's hard to aim accurately. I got up to the hidden section of the uboat and I can basically only make things work reliably by spraying SMGs everywhere

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Nicaden posted:

Is there a point of no return to do sidequests? I just finished Venus and am off to find Wyatt . I’ve been doing all the sidequests I can and was wondering if progressing the main story will lock me into the endgame without any warning.

Nope, you can do side missions after finishing the story.

Edit: For people having issues with gsync not working, try turning vsync off in game and forcing it on via the control panel, the game ran perfectly at 100 fps with no tearing that way for me.

Eyud fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 28, 2017

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

VolticSurge posted:

gently caress no. its great. the story is solid and good even if you can see some of the stuff coming a mile away, it still works because the characters are great and the writing is amazing.

navier-stoked
Aug 30, 2004

VolticSurge posted:

So, I keep hearing from my friends that the black lady (Grace, I think that's her name) is an obnoxious writer's pet/Mary-Sue, apparently. She seems fine from what I've seen. Can anyone confirm/deny?

Grace has her own flaws and even has a bit of a character development arc. Your friends may have problems with powerful, black women hth

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Grace is a powerful black woman!!!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

There's like a cringey line or two where they clumsily try to comment on current political events but other than that I think all of the characters are pretty loving great and even the characters with limited screen time get a good amount of depth.

The big event that happened about 5-6 hours in blew my loving mind, it was great.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Story isnt as tight as NO, but its much more eventful. I'm super excited to see where this goes.

^^^ i was losing my poo poo that entire bit.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Anyone talking poo poo about Grace is a boring dingus. She's awesome.

navier-stoked
Aug 30, 2004

Dandywalken posted:

Grace is a powerful black woman!!!

All edge and no point lol

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Regarding the aftermath of the courtroom fight I figured it HAD to be a dream or something. Then when he sees his mother :wtf: Also, come on Engel, why didn't you use a Zweihander instead of hanzo steel :rolleyes:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Wamdoodle posted:

Regarding the aftermath of the courtroom fight I figured it HAD to be a dream or something. Then when he sees his mother :wtf: Also, come on Engel, why didn't you use a Zweihander instead of hanzo steel :rolleyes:
While she clearly needed a bigger weapon to get through BJ's neck, a cavalry sabre is probably more appropriate for an officer. I would have loved to have seen her with a mechanical horse to match.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
This is my least favorite Wolfenstein

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
this loving owned, im gonna go back and do the ubercommando stuff soon, but I loved this game

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Checked the first post and didn't see this posted, but if any of you are trying to get GSYNC working with this game I finally got it working in an unexpected way.
1) upgrade to the hotfix release (http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4575)
2) check to confirm Gsync will run in the mode you want to run (windowed/fullscreen) in Nvidia Control Panel
3) Optionally, in Nvidia Control Panel, click on Display and turn on "G-Sync Indicator" to see if it is working or not
4) Now when you get into the game you will not have G-Sync until you turn off motion blur. As soon as you turn it off, the g-sync indicator( if you turned it on from the previous step) will pop on.

I dunno why motion blur was holding it back, but there you go

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb-tF7WilP8

Goddamn these are the best game devs