Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

ProfessorProf posted:

The deep-red curves cut by the swings bit into the goat. Its massive body was knocked into the air... became a bunch of about seven logs of flesh, and was thrown into the rose bushes. This time, the terrible force of the attack shocked the goats. They faltered, shook, stepped back.

...Finally, I understood. That red slice. It had come from a weapon that could draw red slashes... no, it also drew blue slashes just a second ago. A massive scythe that could speak both types of truth, red and blue, at will. I looked up at the sky, then let my head hang down backwards.

There was no black cat there. It was a girl... holding a large scythe...

...so, 1) Where was this version of Erika when she was the bad guy?

2) Why the hell didn't I think of that? I have brought shame upon this avatar.

3) Is this why you people have referred to us as "goats" before?

EDIT: Is there anything special if you pick George and his family on the selection screen?

EDIT 2: So Ange didn't go on a journey to find the truth after all. She went to AVOID the truth, because she couldn't deal with it, desperate to find any other explanation for what happened.

idonotlikepeas fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 28, 2017

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

idonotlikepeas posted:

ahahaha.wav

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

idonotlikepeas posted:

Is there anything special if you pick George and his family on the selection screen?

I just went back to check, and no - it's treated the same as any other wrong answer (cuts to the next unspent Hint).

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

This is an auspicious day not only because the heroine is back and y'all have finally understood your goatness.

It is an auspicious day because I BELIEVE you are now allowed to look at OMK Cross.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
There's some teensy spoilers in Bern and Lambda's movesets, but it's basically fine now, yeah.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Rodyle posted:

This is an auspicious day not only because the heroine is back and y'all have finally understood your goatness.

It is an auspicious day because I BELIEVE you are now allowed to look at OMK Cross.

Unless schoolgirl goat is that last character that was mentioned, that's unlikely.

If it is that last character, that is glorious.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Cyouni posted:

Unless schoolgirl goat is that last character that was mentioned, that's unlikely.

If it is that last character, that is glorious.

Nope. It's this handsome fellow.

You don't get a PROPER intro in the main series but this is the scene he comes from.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

Hello darkness my old friend.

Nevileen
Jan 4, 2008
Aww yes, there he is. I love Black Battler because he's a MASSIVE HAM in OMK, it reads like someone trying too hard to be a villain and I love it to bits.

Is someone also going to do the little TiP he gets? Because I could probably whip that up if no one else will a little later in the story or after the whole thing finishes.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
This is good.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

It'll probably be worth getting into the OMK/C stories eventually. Every pair has their own storyline. Much like the tips, some are wacky omake fun time (Ange/Mammon I believe), others are arguably darker and more depressing than the main game(Shannon/Black Battler wooooof).

Zakrelo
Dec 19, 2015
So pieces can only do things the original could, meaning Battler is capable of murdering Shannon and being complicit with the murder of the rest of his family? Huh. I would say something about surprising competence but Maria and George found him out pretty fast.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

idonotlikepeas posted:

Technically you did, since you believed Natsuhi couldn't be trusted due to her killing the maid by pushing her off the cliff.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:

idonotlikepeas posted:

We can't possibly be goats, because we have no interaction with the story outside of writing fanfiction*, and even then, so long as the original story still exists, that does not affect it one whit.

*And I count "speculating on who the real culprit is" as part of that fanfiction, since we are technically creating our own narratives that may or may not be supported by the Red Text when we do that.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Nevileen posted:

Is someone also going to do the little TiP he gets? Because I could probably whip that up if no one else will a little later in the story or after the whole thing finishes.

I was planning on doing all the remaining TIPS... a couple months back. I've been bogged down with ~issues~ ever since and I'm not seeing the motivation returning in the immediate future, so go ahead.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

lotus circle posted:

Technically you did, since you believed Natsuhi couldn't be trusted due to her killing the maid by pushing her off the cliff.

That's why I'm kind of annoyed with myself! The very first thing I thought when I read it was about a trick where someone became a culprit outside of the game, but then I didn't see how that could affect the conclusion.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Holy poo poo, Erika does come back and dropkick Bern's plans. :neckbeard:

I'm very glad she gets a chance to play on team hope.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Zakrelo posted:

I would say something about surprising competence but Maria and George found him out pretty fast.

Maybe it's only meta-battler who is incompetent.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:

Doc Hawkins posted:

Maybe it's only meta-battler who is incompetent.

Wasn't it stated that pieces can only act in character compared to their true selves? So, yeah, piece-Battler is still incompetent.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Finally my ship of Erika/existing is canon. :madmax:

Edit: does Natsuhi being a culprit account for the discrepancy of the narration saying she destroyed the master key even though the narration said it was never found?

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

EagerSleeper posted:

Finally my ship of Erika/existing is canon. :madmax:

Edit: does Natsuhi being a culprit account for the discrepancy of the narration saying she destroyed the master key even though the narration said it was never found?

Krauss only says they "tried to retrieve it". Apparently they couldn't pry it off Genji's dead hands, but destroying it was a possibility.

Nevileen
Jan 4, 2008

tiistai posted:

I was planning on doing all the remaining TIPS... a couple months back. I've been bogged down with ~issues~ ever since and I'm not seeing the motivation returning in the immediate future, so go ahead.

Ahh, gotcha! Which ones are the remaining ones? I could go look, but :effort:

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Nevileen posted:

Ahh, gotcha! Which ones are the remaining ones? I could go look, but :effort:

Whose Tea Party? and onward, plus the Labor Thanksgiving one, so there's 10 left. I think they're all even translated already, so I was just going to check the translations and edit them to less clunky English (plus doing the LP format thing), but I haven't been in the mood for it.

Nevileen
Jan 4, 2008

tiistai posted:

Whose Tea Party? and onward, plus the Labor Thanksgiving one, so there's 10 left. I think they're all even translated already, so I was just going to check the translations and edit them to less clunky English (plus doing the LP format thing), but I haven't been in the mood for it.
Okay, thank you! I can probably get going on those since I have a light semester this year, so I'll see what I can do.

Edit: Oh yeah, Tiistai, would you happen to know where I could get my hands on a copy of Tsubasa? If not, everyone's just going to have to deal with just text + lp format instead of text being broken up with the occasional screenshot. (or I could nab screenshots from a video of tsubasa but eeeeegh).

Nevileen fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Oct 28, 2017

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Graylien posted:

People with SPD have no desire to connect with other people, not just no ability. Schizotypal is probably closer to Yasu, they're definitely more Cluster A than anything else though.
Oh, thanks for pointing that out! Yeah, that was the major part of SPD that absolutely didn't fit Yasu. Schizotypical seems closer.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

idonotlikepeas posted:

...so, 1) Where was this version of Erika when she was the bad guy?

EDIT: Is there anything special if you pick George and his family on the selection screen?

EDIT 2: So Ange didn't go on a journey to find the truth after all. She went to AVOID the truth, because she couldn't deal with it, desperate to find any other explanation for what happened.
Eeeeh, wait. If a culprit is defined as 'one who murders', and a culprit cannot die in the game, and Natsuhi is a confirmed murderer pre-game, and Natsuhi is confirmed to die in the game, isn't there a logic error?

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I think that that depends on whether Natsuhi actually pushed the servant. We know the baby survived
Natsuhi might've told herself she was the murderer, because she felt guilty and wished that the baby would vanish.

Sefal fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 28, 2017

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
I'm just a sideline guesser, but I have a small grin seeing Erika come back onto the board. And thanks to people who are explaining what's going on, this is why I love LPs.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

PetraCore posted:

Eeeeh, wait. If a culprit is defined as 'one who murders', and a culprit cannot die in the game, and Natsuhi is a confirmed murderer pre-game, and Natsuhi is confirmed to die in the game, isn't there a logic error?

Nah. A culprit can be defined as someone who meets the following necessary conditions:

1. Commits a murder at some point.
2. Survives until the end of the game.

Natsuhi has qualification 1 but not 2, and is therefore not actually a culprit. George satisfies criterion 2, so what Erika is pointing out is that all you have to do to change the game and make him a culprit is imagine that he also satisfied criterion 1 at some point in the past; there's no specific restriction on the murder happening during the game.

Basically, a culprit must murder, but not every murderer is a culprit.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Well, witches are also allowed to elaborate on red text, aren't they? Bernkastel could fire back with 'a culprit is defined as one who has murdered within the course of the game', but I think that'd clash with the previous red text, unless that's a valid elaboration?

Nanjo is definitely, definitely not a culprit as defined by Bern's game, because the narration says he dies. And he identified Natsuhi's dead body as dead, so she isn't a culprit as defined by Bern's game. But she's a culprit by the strictest reading of the red text definition of a culprit. So I get the feeling Bernkastel will restrict things that way, but responding to Erika's claims about George, not about Natsuhi directly.

Honestly, my attack on Bern's intended reading would probably revolve around suicide, since suicide is distinct from murder and thus someone committing suicide wouldn't count as a culprit, but would mean that the number of murders are less than implied. Since a culprit has to commit murder by their own two hands, and a non-culprit cannot conspire with a culprit, if you dodge around that by saying that someone coercing someone else into committing suicide isn't technically a culprit by the definition given in-game, you can blur the ideological lines between non-culprit and culprit to perhaps implicate someone else as the culprit.

Is that reasoning missing something?

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

idonotlikepeas posted:

I'd actually argue that this is a plot hole in the scenario, since the rules text says "A culprit is defined as one who murders".

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
If we really want to get technical about it, Natsuhi is more of a manslaughterer than a murderer. It's possible the definition of 'murder' for the purposes of this game includes premeditation.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

idonotlikepeas posted:

Nah. A culprit can be defined as someone who meets the following necessary conditions:

1. Commits a murder at some point.
2. Survives until the end of the game.

Natsuhi has qualification 1 but not 2, and is therefore not actually a culprit. George satisfies criterion 2, so what Erika is pointing out is that all you have to do to change the game and make him a culprit is imagine that he also satisfied criterion 1 at some point in the past; there's no specific restriction on the murder happening during the game.

Well, that makes things even more loophole-able! If a culprit has to survive but a murderer isn't necessarily a culprit, you can invent a conspiracy among non-culprit murderers to chip away at more of the murders. The red text says that the culprit murdered (at least) 6 people, but not necessarily more than that, which still applies if the 'culprit' can be a three-person conspiracy like in the intended interpretation.

Regardless, I'm not sure if there's a valid win condition here, since the real problem is that Ange was constantly followed by rumors and witch hunters and that once Eva died focus shifted to her family, so she clings so hard to Eva being guilty to deny the possibility her family could be. Even though Bern's game isn't what really happened, mimicking Ange's defense mechanism by loopholing blame onto someone else would be... I don't know what that would represent, but probably not something great.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Woah, I'm down with evil Battler. It's a great look for him.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

ProfessorProf posted:

I'd actually argue that this is a plot hole in the scenario, since the rules text says "A culprit is defined as one who murders".

I can see it, but I think the other rule expands the definition of a culprit so it's only a necessary but not sufficient condition. I guess it's a question about whether "does not die" is part of the definition of a culprit or only a way you're supposed to identify them.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Rodyle posted:

Yeah. If you looked at OMK before now you'd be spoiled on the fact that Battler killed everyone because he's evil and gets off on murdering people.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

It's also nice seeing the return of Baddler.

edit: Birth of a New Witch never stops being good poo poo.

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Oct 29, 2017

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I love smug Battler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
I took a glance at the OMK supers. Erika's...I have no words.

• Locked thread