Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Flush with Cash in Barrakeesh
    In the marketplace I bought a sash
    Can't stop to read though, gotta dash
    The Sharnazim are all about
    Trying to rip my entrails out
    I'm just trying to get back home
    To live in my monastery all alone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Buy the sash and read the poster.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

achtungnight posted:

Do neither, keep moving.
The poster doesn't actually tell us anything useful anyway and it makes no difference if you read it or not.

Shadow on the Sand posted:

The passage ends at a tree-lined plaza. You must find somewhere to hide; your fair skin and your Kai cloak and tunic make you stand out in the city crowd.

To your left is a small dwelling with a curious wooden sign hanging above the door, carved in the shape of a fish. To your right is a tavern. The sign above the tavern door seems oddly appropriate:

THE HUNTED LORD

You recognize the sign of the fish. It is the symbol of an order of monks known as ‘The Redeemers’, a silent order who are devoted to a lifetime of prayer, pilgrimage, and the study of the healing arts.
Shall we go visit the monks, or enter the strangely apropos tavern?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I vote for the monks. They sound more like they'd be on our side.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Better visit those monks.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

They gave us some Holy Water last time, they can help us out again now. Go with the monks.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
The monks seem like p. cool dudes if they're legit

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Lone wolf is sort of a monk himself, isn't he? Go see monks.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The house smells strongly of burnt incense. You enter a narrow hallway lined with chairs and walk slowly along the central aisle towards a fountain, flanked by a pair of massive orange-red pillars. A man, dressed from head to toe in black, appears from behind the left-hand pillar and walks towards you.

Suddenly, you hear Maouk’s men enter the plaza, and cast an anxious glance towards the open door. The man sees you are nervous and silently points to a cellar door.
Do we hide in the cellar or run back out into the plaza?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Tiggum posted:

Do we hide in the cellar or run back out into the plaza?

A cellar?? oh no we're not falling for that poo poo, plaza please

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

I dunno, they seem legit, let's hide

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Nah, this guy's of the good guys, based on last book. I think we can trust him.

Head for the cellar.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Time to be a cellar dweller.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I think coming in here was a mistake. The first place those mooks are going to search is the cellar of the infidels. Not that we have much choice in the matter. Take the beautiful phrase.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Cellar.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Cellar

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Hide out in our mom's the monks' basement.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Get ye to the plaza we're oh for one on cellars at this point and I don't trust those odds

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

RudeCat posted:

Time to be a cellar dweller.
It's not like Dever would put the exact same trap two books in a row, right?

You rush into the cellar and bolt the door. Pressing your ear to the gnarled timber, you listen intently to the noise of Maouk’s angry soldiers. They have entered the building and it will only be a matter of time before they notice the cellar door. You cast your eyes around the room. It is empty except for a Coil of Rope and a Tinderbox. Then you notice that there is another way out of the small stone room—an iron grille in the centre of the floor. However, the horrible stench rising from it turns your stomach.
Should we stay or should we go? Shall we try to get through the grille or stay here and prepare to fight?

Also, the book doesn't explicitly say we can take them but the capital letters suggest we can take the rope and/or tinderbox if we like. It's worth mentioning that this rope takes up only one backpack space as compared with our current rope, which takes two, so we could take both items and leave behind our old rope. But also, the tinderbox is not particularly useful without any torches, especially given that we have a firesphere anyway.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Do not steal from the nice monks, and get out through the grille.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Take the one-space-rope and leave our outdated two-spaces-rope.

Through the grille we go

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Swap ropes and go through grill.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Enter the Sewer Level.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Swap the ropes and go deeper.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Swap ropes, grab the tinderbox, and enter the sewer.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Swap ropes and go into the poo gas.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

RudeCat posted:

Swap the ropes and go deeper.
OK, we've now got one space free in our backpack.

A slippery ladder disappears into the dark, stench-filled shaft. You gulp a lungful of air and climb down, locking the trapdoor behind you. When you finally reach the bottom of the shaft, your worst fears are confirmed.

You have entered the Baga-darooz, the main drainage sewer of Barrakeesh. You recall one of the crewmen aboard the galley, an old man nicknamed ‘The Stink’ because he smelled so much, having been sentenced to one year’s imprisonment in the Baga-darooz for a crime he did not commit. Peering along the gloomy tunnels, you wonder how he survived for so long in this dank, filthy sewer.

Suddenly your thoughts are disturbed by the sound of splintering wood. Chunks of shattered timber rain down upon you as the Sharnazim force open the trapdoor. The heavy iron grille glances off your shoulder as it falls; you stifle a cry of pain, but you lose 1 ENDURANCE point due to the wound.

Endurance: 31/32.

This section of the Baga-darooz is a junction where three channels meet. You must quickly decide which channel to take, for Maouk’s men are now descending the ladder.
If we had Tracking then we'd get some information to base the decision on, but we don't so it's just left, right or centre channel. Which do we take?

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
We always make the right decisions!

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

:goleft:

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Center, to fill out all the choices

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

We should go right because we always go left, that'll throw them off our trail.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I hope we've left them behind. Let's go right down the centre.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Left.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
:goleft:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I hope we've left them behind. Let's go right down the centre.
No time to waste, we're still being chased!

You force yourself along the canal, which is thick with green and black scum, clotted with a hideous variety of filth and debris. Huge cockroaches crawl in and out of the cracked ceiling. The vile water is waist deep, and as the surface scum breaks, a cloud of putrid gas wafts up and engulfs you. The stench is appalling; choking, you cover your mouth and nose with the edge of your Kai cloak. A sudden splash warns you that Maouk’s men are not far behind so you quicken your step.

You have waded only a few yards when you hear a soft rustling noise. You freeze. It is the unmistakable sound of scaled skin slithering softly over stone. Fear turns to blind terror as you catch your first glimpse of the creature now advancing towards you.

Healing: +1 EP (32/32).

You recognize the creature; it is a Kwaraz, a giant, creeping reptile. Kwaraz are native to the Maakenmire swamp, hundreds of miles to the west of Vassagonia, but they thrive in any hot, damp, and fetid environment, and it strikes you that the Baga-darooz sewer is an ideal breeding ground for these deadly beasts. The Kwaraz moves along the ceiling, gripping the stone with its long, curved claws—its oval eyes opening wider and wider.

Kwaraz are very susceptible to psychic power. By using your Kai Discipline of Animal Kinship, you persuade it that you are not at all appetizing, and it soon loses interest. You watch with a mixture of fear and fascination as the huge reptile disappears along the tunnel. Suddenly, a fearful scream bursts out of the darkness; Maouk has lost one of his men. A shiver runs down your spine, but your instincts tell you to press on while you have the advantage.

It takes a long time for the fear and nausea to subside, but you push on through the slimy water, almost oblivious to your dreadful surroundings. Eventually you reach a junction where a wider tunnel crosses your path.

You have a strong feeling that more Kwaraz occupy the north tunnel. You sense a lair. It would be almost suicide to go that way, so you must take one of the remaining routes.
Apparently we've been walking west. We can continue west or we could take this new, bigger tunnel to the south. Which will it be?

If we didn't have Sixth Sense we would have been allowed to go north, which actually doesn't kill you instantly. It seems like it would, but it's really not especially dangerous. But we do have Sixth Sense so we can't go that way.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I say we go north anyway and recruit more friendly sewer alligators!

Or since the book won’t let us do that, West.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Bigger tunnel heading south sounds better.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
South

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

A bigger tunnel sounds better. Go South.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Let's continue west, also get out of the water!!

:negative: