Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qirex
Feb 15, 2001

people here talk about shares as part of their income because their company literally gives them the shares [or sells them at a discount]; do you have 6-9 months of living expenses in in savings? do that first. I usually buy etfs/stocks in increments of $1000, unless there's some nz equivalent of robin hood transaction fees are going to put a big dent in it if you invest $100 at a time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
dunno how it’s all gonna turn out when we split the assets but lol at 6 months cushion :: waaay less. no debt outside mortgage tho, and not sure on that too :/

god

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

qirex posted:

do you have 6-9 months of living expenses in in savings?

LOL

hot dog event
Apr 17, 2002

qirex posted:

do you have 6-9 months of living expenses in in savings?

nice

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
if you think American tech nerd figgies are anything close to what normal people get paid you’re going to be sad. most professionals get a salary and that’s it. maybe a bonus or commission. this subforum is skewed in compensation and geography and skill level and dickishness in this manner.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

qirex posted:

people here talk about shares as part of their income because their company literally gives them the shares [or sells them at a discount]; do you have 6-9 months of living expenses in in savings? do that first. I usually buy etfs/stocks in increments of $1000, unless there's some nz equivalent of robin hood transaction fees are going to put a big dent in it if you invest $100 at a time

note that if you have trouble saving money when it's just sitting in your bank account, you can probably at least set up a free automatic transfer to your broker's settlement fund

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
It's a figgiecentric subforum.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i just use betterment because they buy vanguard etfs anyway and do a bunch of capital loss tax poo poo for free

pram
Jun 10, 2001
and also i do my company ESPP because its a 15% discount, but lol if you hang on to that poo poo

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Punkbob posted:

I'd advise against putting too much money into a NZ index fund the economy isn't super diversified, and a housing crash is just around the corner. Put it into the S&P500(US) or a Euro-centric one. But I am an American who finds the countries dependency on milk exports a major part of it's GDP a sign of how fast poo poo could go wrong because its so tiny.

But that is all predicated on you not having any debt. The fact that you were willing to sucky sucky for a video card makes me think you might be broke and in debt. The universal advice is 3 months of emergency savings, then pay down debt as much as possible. Then increase to 6-12 months of cushion, and from there send the max to your kiwisaver that you can.

Also if you don't have a kiwisaver account, lol.

Also, also move to Oz to make more money.

Edit: Lol.jpg

i am intrigued...

seems like the only way to make money in nz is with our abhorrent housing market. hopefully new left wing govt will slow it down

The Management posted:

if you think American tech nerd figgies are anything close to what normal people get paid you’re going to be sad. most professionals get a salary and that’s it. maybe a bonus or commission. this subforum is skewed in compensation and geography and skill level and dickishness in this manner.

yeah its poo poo.. for me lol. i mean pharmacy is not a bad wage earner (bottom of top quarter of 5 figs) for sure but hit the ceiling tbh, will have to either own a pharmacy or move sideways but idk.. need to get stable and have something resembling drive

Rex-Goliath posted:

-make long term goals
-break that goal into six month increments where you can re-evaluate if you're making progress or not
-stick to it

like everything else in life the further ahead you get the easier this gets. once you land a job that has an actual ladder you can climb this becomes a matter of not being a shitlord, talking to your boss every now and then, and being genuinely interested in your job

if you don't have a ladder you have to motivate yourself every day to work on it. and the payoffs will be extremely delayed so it will be very easy to become distracted. and all this work will only get you onto the bottom rung. keep your eye on the ball

this is helpful thanks.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

qirex posted:

if you're making tech figgies this is probably bad advice. just keep a line of credit around for emergencies. even if you need to wait for the stock selling window to open that's probably ten, twenty bucks of interest and in the meantime you can invest all that instead of letting it rot in a savings account.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

cant wait to go to new zealand and try some of their [squinting] cigars

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ahahaha gently caress imagine that

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
lmao 1% of the economy is wood chips.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

m8

update your en thread instead of destroying another pos thread

it's giving me no pleasure and it's not even Kevin's fault

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
i got out of the stock market just before the us election because i was worried that trump would win (and that would destroy the market right)

havent gotten back into it as everything is so expensive and the crash is coming any day now right???

at least ive made a bit of money messing with currency exchange rates

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

poty posted:

i got out of the stock market just before the us election because i was worried that trump would win (and that would destroy the market right)

havent gotten back into it as everything is so expensive and the crash is coming any day now right???

Did you pay 401k penalties? Anyway, you shouldn't care what the market is at until you're ready to retire. It doesn't matter if you have a local minimum when you're 30.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

poty posted:

lol...

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
gently caress that im gonna trade my way to retiring at 45 or die poor trying

you sound like youre from the r/investing school of thought. im more from r/wallstreetbets (more dumb)

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I'm from the "I'm lazy as poo poo and most of my money feels like play money after I bought my 7th electric guitar, also I have no friends" school of investing. The returns are pretty mundane but its easier than knowing your vanguard login.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
the prole school of investing

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
put your money in your mattress.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
DONATE your money to a local nonprofit arts org :thurman: and pay. my. salary!! :hellyeah:

Monkish At A Soot
Oct 29, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm displeasure Kevin and I think OP is a really nice guy.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Foo posted:

update your en thread instead of destroying another pos thread

thread about moving ahead in life

not deepthroating

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

figgies are piggies

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Smythe posted:

DONATE your money to a local nonprofit arts org :thurman: and pay. my. salary!! :hellyeah:

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Smythe posted:

DONATE your money

Not gonna happen, pal

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Smythe posted:

hmm, should I donate my money to help suffering American citizens in Puerto Rico who are without water or power and in danger of dying from treatable diseases due to our government abandoning them in a crisis, or should I pay the salary of a guy that has enough spare time to moderate a dead gay forum?

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

The Management posted:

hmm, should I donate my money
No.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

that fuckin av gets me every time

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

The Management posted:

hmm, should I donate my money to help suffering American citizens in Puerto Rico who are without water or power and in danger of dying from treatable diseases due to our government abandoning them in a crisis, or should I pay the salary of a guy that has enough spare time to moderate a dead gay forum?

i think he was suggesting you use your disposable income to support local artists but idk

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Roosevelt posted:

that fuckin av gets me every time

would be less jarring if either the top half or bottom half were flipped, so that the light was coming from the same direction across the whole thing.

also, I always wondered if that’s some famous person or a goon or Kevin or what?

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Doc Block posted:

also, I always wondered if that’s some famous person or a goon or Kevin or what?

just lol if ur a goon and u dont see urself in that picture

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Doc Block posted:

would be less jarring if either the top half or bottom half were flipped, so that the light was coming from the same direction across the whole thing.

posters are their avatar, so that is Kevin

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

OldAlias posted:

posters are their avatar, so that is Kevin

how do you type with hooves

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

RISCy Business posted:

how do you type with hooves

:rolleyes:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i am drinking jesus

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I am a butt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
I am poop from a butt (not pictured)

Edit: actually, pictured.

• Locked thread