Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
He can't even tell kids to get off his "THE LAWN", smdh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

SwitchbladeKult posted:

If you tell everyone that says the slightest thing that is racist to gently caress off and die eventually those people will stop talking to you and start only talking to people that reenforce their stupid ideas. Sometimes it is a good thing to tiptoe around the feelings of others if you want them to listen and maybe change their minds for the better.

otoh: "they go low, we go high" got us to the state we are currently in so I say it's time to abandon that strategy

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
A racist is going to be racist until they face very painful consequences constantly and no one helps them until they renounce that belief. Treating them nicely or meanly doesn't change anything, making them the punished outsider does.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Like, the goal here is not to compromise, right? I assume you don't want to go "okay, sure, you can be a little less racist and I'll be a little more racist and we'll find a middle ground and get along?" The eventual plan is to bring them completely to your side, while not compromising your own beliefs?

It's pointless to try and convert the people who are out there affirming the superiority of the white race. They are unreachable and it's completely fine to just tell them to gently caress off at every opportunity. For the the mildly or unconsciously racist people, who stand a chance of becoming woke, you need to shock them up front so they know the deal. Gently prodding them along one little bit at a time will just make them go "why is it that I have to make all the changes? I already stopped calling them moon crickets, now I have to let my kids go to school with them too?? Why can't they make some efforts to get along with me?" and that's pretty much where we are right now re. white people's understanding of racism.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Chip Bok posted:

Sara Huckabee Sanders says, “everything that Hillary Clinton and the DNC accused Trump of doing, they were doing.”

And Mark Steyn says likewise: “Everybody was colluding with Russia except Trump.”

But Hillary says “baloney“.

So says Real Clear Politics.

Chip Bok posted:

Republican Jeff Flake gave a speech on the Senate floor condemning the behavior of President Trump. He called him reckless, outrageous and undignified. Trump responded, “Yes, and your point is?” Just kidding.

Flake’s Republican colleague, Senator Bob Corker, chimed in on his own that Trump “debases the country”.

Finally, Flake called out Trump, “Mr. President, I rise today to say, enough. We must dedicate ourselves to making sure that the anomalous never becomes the normal.”

Then he quit.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

There's really no need for commentary about this kind of cartoon.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Does Ramirez know the WMD thing turned out to be made up or should someone tell him?
Like how is that not the #1 thing that comes to mind regarding that term.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I'm... really having trouble reading that cartoon as anything but AGC about how the media was complicit in the Iraq war, circa 2013 when everyone admitted it was a mistake. Like, what?

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

It's 'gently caress the press'. That's it. That's all there is, and that's all anyone needs to see in these kinds of cartoons. It's not thoughtful or incisive, just mindless reptilian reaction.

Oh and it doesn't matter if it accidentally acknowledges something like Iraq war propaganda because they never gave a poo poo.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Ah man it fits almost perfectly in there:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

lol at that Sanders quote, now they're projecting their projection.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Funny how Ramirez is so down about tabloids when every copy of the National Enquirer I've seen has been completely pro-Trump.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i forget, are political cartoons considered "the press" as well?

like i'd definitely lump them in with "tabloid journalism"

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

Like, the goal here is not to compromise, right? I assume you don't want to go "okay, sure, you can be a little less racist and I'll be a little more racist and we'll find a middle ground and get along?" The eventual plan is to bring them completely to your side, while not compromising your own beliefs?

It's pointless to try and convert the people who are out there affirming the superiority of the white race. They are unreachable and it's completely fine to just tell them to gently caress off at every opportunity. For the the mildly or unconsciously racist people, who stand a chance of becoming woke, you need to shock them up front so they know the deal. Gently prodding them along one little bit at a time will just make them go "why is it that I have to make all the changes? I already stopped calling them moon crickets, now I have to let my kids go to school with them too?? Why can't they make some efforts to get along with me?" and that's pretty much where we are right now re. white people's understanding of racism.

everyone is racist, literally everyone has some racial bias. The key is recognizing it and overcoming it in your thought process. Just because you have recognized and are in control of your racial biases doesn't mean that everyone is, some people are racist out of ignorance. Some people are racist in a "why do black people take so long to cross the street and make so much noise in theaters" and aren't quite to "seig heil, anti racist is white genocide, etc" yet, but not attempting to understand and help them combat their biases very well could push them in that direction. I get that it feels good to be like gently caress racists no matter what but it isn't productive.

You obviously shouldn't waste your time on white supremacists. But normal people, normal republicans who are racist in not immediately obvious, non KKK ways, can be helped and brought to your side. It's stupid and harmful to our cause to just write them off.

Some of us have family we love who you could consider racist. For us, this isn't an academic question. We want to help them overcome this disease of the mind. But the self righteous liberal anger isn't helping. In fact it's pushing them further away. Stop.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

MelvinBison posted:

Funny how Ramirez is so down about tabloids when every copy of the National Enquirer I've seen has been completely pro-Trump.

Trump is definitely close with the NE. They were running with the Ted Cruz: sex pervert story during the primaries as a favor to Trump, and people actually wondered if it was legit because the Enquirer originally broke the John Edwards story.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

i forget, are political cartoons considered "the press" as well?

like i'd definitely lump them in with "tabloid journalism"
They'd be consider opinion pieces, so not really. The problem is that Fox has spend two decades getting people to consider pundits to be journalists, so the line seems blurry. I don't even think Fox's top shows are news but some conservative spreading lies.

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010

Wait, are we supposed to disagree here? The most AGC I've seen in awhile.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

gowb posted:

everyone is racist, literally everyone has some racial bias. The key is recognizing it and overcoming it in your thought process. Just because you have recognized and are in control of your racial biases doesn't mean that everyone is, some people are racist out of ignorance. Some people are racist in a "why do black people take so long to cross the street and make so much noise in theaters" and aren't quite to "seig heil, anti racist is white genocide, etc" yet, but not attempting to understand and help them combat their biases very well could push them in that direction. I get that it feels good to be like gently caress racists no matter what but it isn't productive.

You obviously shouldn't waste your time on white supremacists. But normal people, normal republicans who are racist in not immediately obvious, non KKK ways, can be helped and brought to your side. It's stupid and harmful to our cause to just write them off.

Some of us have family we love who you could consider racist. For us, this isn't an academic question. We want to help them overcome this disease of the mind. But the self righteous liberal anger isn't helping. In fact it's pushing them further away. Stop.

your family is trash and if they can't handle the consequences of publicly acting like a shitfucker then they belong exactly where they say Those People should go, if not worse

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Cpt.Americant posted:

Wait, are we supposed to disagree here? The most AGC I've seen in awhile.

I'm not gonna lie I really appreciate Bird Clinton and Turtle Mitch in that one.

The whole point is saying that the Republican senators who wont get in line for Trump are part of the Swamp (tm).

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

lol at that Sanders quote, now they're projecting their projection.
They're pretty good at it. I mean, "fake news" was originally about actual falsehoods published by Breitbart and other (well, at the time) fringe "news" sites. But now it's basically the rallying cry of the right whenever they don't like something about reality. Confidence in the media is down, although not simply for the fake news stuff (let's be clear: our media is super hosed up, but not for the reasons Trump is boo-hooing about).

Clinton is now going to be branded as a Russian sleeper agent until she dies now. The smear machine is already in motion, as shown by the scores of conservatives cartoonists parroting lies in lockstep.

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Could someone link or provide context for the Carter defense comments?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

I guess I need to go trick-or-treating this year

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Discendo Vox posted:

He did an interview with someone. The context is "very old white man who used to be important Has Opinions."

Being offended at Carter at this point is basically the same as being offended at any other ancient white guy you don't agree with, i.e. pointless.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Discendo Vox posted:

He made a comment a few days ago about how the media really is going after Trump.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Broken Loose posted:

your family is trash and if they can't handle the consequences of publicly acting like a shitfucker then they belong exactly where they say Those People should go, if not worse

You don't know my family, so I'm not sure your judgement of them as "trash" is accurate. And they do not publically act like racists nor do they think minorities should leave the country. This is the righteous, unthinking liberal anger I'm talking about.

As an example, my aunt is one of the most amazing human beings I know. She is ridiculously rich because she invented a way to use quick set cement to lay oil pipes in the gulf, yet she lives in a very modest house in one of the poorest, blackest communities around. All of her money and personal time goes toward helping those in need, no matter the color. In public? She's gotten awards from the NAACP, local charity groups, and the Knights of Columbus (who are white as hell). She breaks her back, literally to the point of needing surgery, to work for habitat for humanity. Recently, most of her time and money have gone to helping the local children's hospital. Yet, behind closed doors, she often talked about how Obama wanted to destroy Christian, white America and hates groups like BLM, antifa and immigrants.

Ignoring her weird racist political views, which do not seem to influence her philanthropy much if at all, how do you measure up? Certainly her white privilege is a factor, as well as the fact that her husband is a patent lawyer and helped build her fortune, and she was born into an old money family in the first place. These things disqualify her from being a net gain for humanity? Is she not worth saving? I've moved her considerably left, and the influence of the new Pope has eased her racism towards Latin Americans massively, but you would say she isntworth saving? That she's trash? It might be blood that is blinding me, but I just don't think so. She's not past redemption, assuming she even needs it in the first place. I love her regardless of her flaws for what I see in her, and I won't give her up simply because she comes from a different time and place than our modern ethics. I cannot. Call me an optimist, call me an idealist, call me a racist, point out that I'm from the south and all that that implies. I won't condemn the people I love to some societal purgatory simply because they don't live up to your standards. They aren't past redemption. None of us are.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

gowb posted:

You don't know my family, so I'm not sure your judgement of them as "trash" is accurate. And they do not publically act like racists nor do they think minorities should leave the country. This is the righteous, unthinking liberal anger I'm talking about.

As an example, my aunt is one of the most amazing human beings I know. She is ridiculously rich because she invented a way to use quick set cement to lay oil pipes in the gulf, yet she lives in a very modest house in one of the poorest, blackest communities around. All of her money and personal time goes toward helping those in need, no matter the color. In public? She's gotten awards from the NAACP, local charity groups, and the Knights of Columbus (who are white as hell). She breaks her back, literally to the point of needing surgery, to work for habitat for humanity. Recently, most of her time and money have gone to helping the local children's hospital. Yet, behind closed doors, she often talked about how Obama wanted to destroy Christian, white America and hates groups like BLM, antifa and immigrants.

Ignoring her weird racist political views, which do not seem to influence her philanthropy much if at all, how do you measure up? Certainly her white privilege is a factor, as well as the fact that her husband is a patent lawyer and helped build her fortune, and she was born into an old money family in the first place. These things disqualify her from being a net gain for humanity? Is she not worth saving? I've moved her considerably left, and the influence of the new Pope has eased her racism towards Latin Americans massively, but you would say she isntworth saving? That she's trash? It might be blood that is blinding me, but I just don't think so. She's not past redemption, assuming she even needs it in the first place. I love her regardless of her flaws for what I see in her, and I won't give her up simply because she comes from a different time and place than our modern ethics. I cannot. Call me an optimist, call me an idealist, call me a racist, point out that I'm from the south and all that that implies. I won't condemn the people I love to some societal purgatory simply because they don't live up to your standards. They aren't past redemption. None of us are.

i'm just gonna quote this whole thing in case he deletes it

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I don't know if casually racist family members is a common thing or just particular to the south. But I've taken some flak for at least calling out racist and homophobic behaviors with my otherwise friendly family. Don't know what's so hard about that. I don't need to weight them on a scale of "Well they do amazing things and are good people but they also casually say 'fag' without much prompting".

Am I out of line? It seems no different than my parents lecturing me as a kid on how to behave and have good manners.

Thank the man, handing out free drugs isn't cheap!

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Ularg posted:

I don't know if casually racist family members is a common thing or just particular to the south. But I've taken some flak for at least calling out racist and homophobic behaviors with my otherwise friendly family. Don't know what's so hard about that. I don't need to weight them on a scale of "Well they do amazing things and are good people but they also casually say 'fag' without much prompting".

Am I out of line? It seems no different than my parents lecturing me as a kid on how to behave and have good manners.

Absolutely, as I've mentioned before in this forum I have been ostracized by quite a few family members for calling out their racism (nobody's really homophobic since we have gay relatives, which ain't ideal but better than nothing) especially on my mom's side. I don't hesitate to call out blatant racism when it appears, which is why my aunt and I have had long discussions on the topic and she's become way better about it than she used to be.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

i'm just gonna quote this whole thing in case he deletes it

Why in the world would I delete something I posted from the heart? Unlike some, I Post With Honor

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Sagebrush posted:

otoh: "they go low, we go high" got us to the state we are currently in so I say it's time to abandon that strategy

That "basket of deplorable" comment didn't seem to help much either, did it? What it did was push people that thought of themselves as not racist right into the open arms of racists who wanted to fill their heads with poo poo like "You aren't deplorable, all those people saying you are wrong are the real deplorables. Now, let us tell you how correct you are for thinking Mexicans are ruining the country." If you see a Nazi, please punch them, if you hear someone say they don't want their kids to go to school with black kids because they are "genetically inferior", completely cut them out of your life, but maybe lets not push people that are racist out of selfish ignorance over the edge because places like Breitbart are waiting in the wings to swoop in and grab their minds.

Also, it isn't shocking news that the ranks of white supremacist groups are filled with people that felt outcast and powerless. You can't be serious when you say that making people feel unwanted in their own families and letting them continue to feel powerless is going to "cure" them of their stupid racist beliefs. It won't. They aren't going to think "Wow I really should stop thinking that thing I think is perfectly fine but people think is racist so they'll like me again". They are going to feel like a victim first and seek out people that'll tell them they are right to feel that way.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

It's cool these graves say Hero because you can't name a real person because no one actually died looking for him.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

SwitchbladeKult posted:

That "basket of deplorable" comment didn't seem to help much either, did it? What it did was
Nothing. What it did was nothing. It didn't do a loving thing. The quote was taken entirely out of context and leveraged, free of facts or meaning, to whip up the base. If Clinton had never said it in the first place, you think they wouldn't have found something else to throw at her? You think misinterpreted soundbites are what broke her chances? There but for a few careless comments go we? The radical alt-right wouldn't be a loving drop less radical and insane in an alternate dimension where she'd never said that; no one would be "closer" or less "pushed away". It's a loving excuse is what it is.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Casually racist family members are common, but don't act like people who are materially harmed by the shitstains they vote for aren't justified in hating them.

It's your job to deal with your family and make them better. To everyone else, they're just another rear end in a top hat Republican making the country go down the gutter.

And don't talk to me about how I don't understand, I live in loving Paul Ryan's district. drat near everyone I grew up with is Republican.

Also the "basket of deploreables" speech was specifically an attempt by Clinton to demonstrate that some Trump supporters were justifiably angry. She didn't show enough deference to white grievance and got pilloried for it.

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Oct 29, 2017

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Samurai Sanders posted:

What's with the design of the terrorist's sword's hilt?

It matches the one on the flag.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Lightning Knight posted:

specifically an attempt by Clinton to demonstrate that some Trump supporters were justifiably angry

Basically she said "There are some people who are genuinely stupid fucks and we're gonna put them over here and let them be, but most people aren't those people" and the Republicans said "SHE CALLED Y'ALLS STUPID FUCKS" and the base went "HELL YEAH WE'RE STUPID FUCKS" and then Trump happened.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

First Dog on the Moon:

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

Casually racist family members are common, but don't act like people who are materially harmed by the shitstains they vote for aren't justified in hating them.

It's your job to deal with your family and make them better. To everyone else, they're just another rear end in a top hat Republican making the country go down the gutter.

And don't talk to me about how I don't understand, I live in loving Paul Ryan's district. drat near everyone I grew up with is Republican.

Also the "basket of deploreables" speech was specifically an attempt by Clinton to demonstrate that some Trump supporters were justifiably angry. She didn't show enough deference to white grievance and got pilloried for it.

It's my job to deal with the people in my family I want to save, yeah. Whose job is it to convert those who have no such family members to help them? Are they doomed to the guilliotine?

Even the KKK aren't beyond compassion. http://www.npr.org/2017/08/20/544861933/how-one-man-convinced-200-ku-klux-klan-members-to-give-up-their-robes

I'm not saying people aren't justified in the hatred they feel. People are entitled to their feelings, no matter what they are. But try to have some compassion for fellow human beings who aren't as priveleged as you.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

gowb posted:

It's my job to deal with the people in my family I want to save, yeah. Whose job is it to convert those who have no such family members to help them? Are they doomed to the guilliotine?

We don't have to kill racists. We just have to politically marginalize and overwhelm them to make a better country.

You aren't entitled to complain to people who experience the consequences of these people's actions that they're wrong to call them shitheads. They are shitheads. You just love them anyway because they're your family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Lightning Knight posted:

Given that the exact same thing happened with Obama, re: guns and bibles, you'd think she'd just be a whole lot more careful.

• Locked thread