Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Digirat posted:

Do not trust any review that says dogma is "like skyrim" or "like the witcher"

It's not

It's garbage, and also great

All three of those games are garbage and also great, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Dogma's biggest strengths and weaknesses are a straight up inverse of the witcher 3's and it plays absolutely nothing like either of those games

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Their all fairly open action based western style RPGs. Yes they all play differently but saying they're nothing alike is not correct. Really the basic structure of them all is pretty similar it's just how they do those things is completely different.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Dragon's Dogma is like the best sandwich you'll eat in a while but it's half-eaten and you can see drool lingering from the bite marks.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I have 200 hours in my DD PS4 file right now. Keep giving me the sandwich.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Policenaut posted:

On the subject of Taiko Drum Master, I'd just like to remind anyone interested in importing that the Asian English release is available now at Play-Asia for $55.99 USD. The version that comes with a Drum controller is sold out but you can still buy a separate drum controller if you want the full Taiko experience for $60 which together with the game is only $10 more expensive than what the bundle version costs. You can play it with a regular controller too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sz0kXutWk8o

That controller isn't region locked right? I just want to make sure before I make my rash purchase.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Popular characters!?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Policenaut posted:

I have 200 hours in my DD PS4 file right now. Keep giving me the sandwich.

How the heck do you already have that much didn't it come out like a couple of weeks ago?

.... I'm totally going to borrow your pawn.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I just noticed today that the power on button doesn't work on my pro. I always press the ps button on a pad to turn it on so I never realized it before. I tried using the button but nothing happened. Turned it on via gameplay, no problem as usual. Anyone get that issue?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

glam rock hamhock posted:

Their all fairly open action based western style RPGs. Yes they all play differently but saying they're nothing alike is not correct. Really the basic structure of them all is pretty similar it's just how they do those things is completely different.

dragon's dogma is technically open, but the world is basically a stretch of the coast with one road that goes from one end to the other

they're pretty similar in that they're third person arpgs in a fantasy setting but I wouldn't take it further than that

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The actual "open world" part of dragons Dogma is pretty bad. It's small, lifeless, and a bit ugly, and a massive pain in the rear end to get around.

The dungeons however are cool and good.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Jimbot posted:

That controller isn't region locked right? I just want to make sure before I make my rash purchase.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure there are no region locked controllers so you should be good.

veni veni veni posted:

The actual "open world" part of dragons Dogma is pretty bad. It's small, lifeless, and a bit ugly, and a massive pain in the rear end to get around.

The dungeons however are cool and good.

What is neat is that they give you the power to create your own fast travel points with the Portcrystals. By NG+ you can have a complete array of 10 set up around the world so you can instantly teleport to mission critical locations.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
If YouTube has taught me anything and it hasn't it's that you should put a cucumber on top of your ps4 and your cat will be terrified of it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Can confirm. Cats do not like cucumbers.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Games › PlayStation4: Place a cucumber over your PS4 for anti-cat measures.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

Also I was playing Wolfenstein TNO a bit more now and still amazed that they chose a grey on grey color scheme for almost every enemy encounter in the game. The only functional things that aren't grey is the flashes when your bullets hit things. Is the sequel the same?

sometimes

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

haveblue posted:

Ah, that makes sense. My library is almost 100% digital so that's not a sound I hear very often.

Mine makes that exact noise and it's the disc eject bug. My condolences.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Montalvo posted:

Mine makes that exact noise and it's the disc eject bug. My condolences.

Do y'all use rest mode all the time? The disc eject thing has to do with static buildup. Power down your console and do something to discharge the static.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Get a new model next sale. there are no permanent cures short of disconnecting the eject sensor

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I appreciate DD's way of treating the player. It doesn't want you to kill everything the first time you see it and it's happy to let you fail quests without warning. The most obvious example of this is an early game quest that asks you to go to a place that has bandits in the way. The bandits will almost certainly kill you over and over, so you might think to out the quest off and progress the story a bit. If you do, you lose a whole quest chain.

You can also make non-magical forgeries of any item in the game, including quest items. There's more of an open world aspect to how you compete quests and less in how your explore the world.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Dragon Dogma is a really cool game. I like Open World games (not Ubisoft ones) and I like DD version. Is basically multiple locations connected by paths that you slowly unlock. You always find something interesting to fight, even more after you completed the game the first time (the point of DD is that New Game+ kickass)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

When does A Way Out release?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

When does A Way Out release?

No release date.

We should play that though.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Evidently we're getting some new first party game announcements in about 17 hours for the kickoff of the Paris Games Week. Word was that it was 7 new titles between PS4 and PSVR. That seems pretty cool.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

According to Sony, E3 was "only half the story" which is basically them confirming that they're using E3, Tokyo Game Show, Paris Games Expo, and the PlayStation Experience as a weird kind of unending hype season.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Getting back into Horizon and man, this game is kicking my rear end. Don't really love having to hunt and forage constantly for the only two ways to regenerate health, and I really hate fighting human enemies, though I still love the rest of it. The Tripcaster seems kind of worthless in most situations though, should I be more proactively switching it out for the Ropecaster for larger enemies?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Policenaut posted:

According to Sony, E3 was "only half the story" which is basically them confirming that they're using E3, Tokyo Game Show, Paris Games Expo, and the PlayStation Experience as a weird kind of unending hype season.

PSX is definitely the one to watch for if you're interested in games from Japan being localized, it seems.

Then again, they also announced tlou pt2 at that one.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Arist posted:

Getting back into Horizon and man, this game is kicking my rear end. Don't really love having to hunt and forage constantly for the only two ways to regenerate health, and I really hate fighting human enemies, though I still love the rest of it. The Tripcaster seems kind of worthless in most situations though, should I be more proactively switching it out for the Ropecaster for larger enemies?

Tripcaster is good when you can plan a fight. I used the Ropecaster waaaaaay more often.

As far as regenerating health, two tips -

1 - Any time you're at a campfire you can save, then restart from save and you'll be back to full.

2 - Once you get to Daytower Gate you can buy the Golden Fast Travel pack, which gives you Infinite quick travel. The path from Daytower Gate back toward the Nora lands has a ton of herbs. Any time you need to stock up to can quick travel to the gate, and walk back and gather. If you need more, once you get to the camp fire you can save and reload and all the herbs will respawn.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I like the new thread title a lot better than the old one since Vanquish isn’t even a PS4 game (yet?)

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Arist posted:

Hunting and foraging for poo poo sucks rear end for sure. Thankfully there's not a ton of stuff you really need to worry about upgrading all that far. Oddly enough, I was in the opposite situation and loved the THWIP of landing a headshot on a human using a bow but got a little tired of fighting machines and started avoiding them whenever possible.

The tripcaster can be really good in rare situations, like if you know where something is pathing or will chase you you can use it to stage a trap and gently caress it right up. Ropecasters I used somewhat more often since it's nice to have a clean shot if you want to pop off that ravager cannon.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I can't really pinpoint my issues with it, but really not feeling the new Wolfenstein. The controls feel weird, shooting enemies doesn't really feel satisfying and I'm not really digging the story this time around.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

katkillad2 posted:

I can't really pinpoint my issues with it, but really not feeling the new Wolfenstein. The controls feel weird, shooting enemies doesn't really feel satisfying and I'm not really digging the story this time around.

I think that means you're a nazi.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Rinkles posted:

I think that means you're a nazi.

This is gonna be the new thing where I'm not allowed to dislike Wonder Woman for its weak second half without looking like an rear end in a top hat, isn't it

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

First person shooters are already boring enough most of the time, but adding the nazi trope makes them unbearably so. I imagine people think they will get a big thrill out of the exercise due to some perceived ideological polarity that allows them to avoid any questioning of the game or their complicity within it. Except said interactions with videogame nazis are a form of fetishism, an obsession with fascist iconography (akin to sadomasochist roleplay) that doesn't explore any of the weird historical nuances or social consequences of fascist politics.

Sontag wrote some pretty amazing essays about S/M culture and its roots in fascist iconography, partly as a reflection on Riefenstahl's absolutely bizarre post-war art career.

tldr; nazi antagonists are boring as gently caress because videogames don't care about sociopolitical nuance or consequence, only fascist spectacle. kind of like fascists.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

First person shooters are already boring enough most of the time, but adding the nazi trope makes them unbearably so. I imagine people think they will get a big thrill out of the exercise due to some perceived ideological polarity that allows them to avoid any questioning of the game or their complicity within it. Except said interactions with videogame nazis are a form of fetishism, an obsession with fascist iconography (akin to sadomasochist roleplay) that doesn't explore any of the weird historical nuances or social consequences of fascist politics.

Sontag wrote some pretty amazing essays about S/M culture and its roots in fascist iconography, partly as a reflection on Riefenstahl's absolutely bizarre post-war art career.

tldr; nazi antagonists are boring as gently caress because videogames don't care about sociopolitical nuance or consequence, only fascist spectacle. kind of like fascists.

lol

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

source your quotes

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I just wish video game Nazis wore bright colors or alternately decorated their bases with bright colors so I’m not shooting dark gray clad enemies against a dark grey metal and concrete interior.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

just turn the saturation and contrast up on your tv

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

I just wish video game Nazis wore bright colors or alternately decorated their bases with bright colors so I’m not shooting dark gray clad enemies against a dark grey metal and concrete interior.

It's okay, there are many other brightly colored floatinggunhand ubermensch games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

It's okay, there are many other brightly colored floatinggunhand ubermensch games.
If you mean Doom I’m already on it.