Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
All very heartwarming, but I'm starting to think there's never gonna be a season 12.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Bimmi posted:

All very heartwarming, but I'm starting to think there's never gonna be a season 12.

I wouldn't worry quite yet. He might be waiting to announce it during this year's Turkey Day marathon. If you don't hear anything then it's probably time to start worrying.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I do suspect Joel had the wit to take a few grand and go hire himself a professional adviser on these things. I've seen a lot of people do kickstarters or similar that have gone nowhere, but by Gosh if Penny Arcade can milk a business plan, why not our cow town puppet show?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Nessus posted:

I do suspect Joel had the wit to take a few grand and go hire himself a professional adviser on these things. I've seen a lot of people do kickstarters or similar that have gone nowhere, but by Gosh if Penny Arcade can milk a business plan, why not our cow town puppet show?

He definitely did this, and never kept it secret. He worked with a guy named Ivan Askwith, who had previously run the kickstarters for Veronica Mars and Reading Rainbow among other things.

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
Ivan was really awesome during the Kickstarter. I hope he gets to work on more cool projects like that (or stick with Joel). :v:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Diabolik900 posted:

He definitely did this, and never kept it secret. He worked with a guy named Ivan Askwith, who had previously run the kickstarters for Veronica Mars and Reading Rainbow among other things.

The Veronica Mars one was also a pretty big success (in fact, I believe it was the most backed Kickstarter until MST3K's revival). Anybody want to revive anything else?

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
This would be a great time to bring back Max Headroom.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Artsygrrl posted:

This would be a great time to bring back Max Headroom.

That show came out when I was in high school. There's a reason it didn't last very long. It was terrible

If you need a Matt Frewer fix, watch Eureka.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
I wonder how much of a season 12 would hinge on finding 12 more movies they can afford to license. Maybe that takes time too :s

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Proteus Jones posted:

If you need a Matt Frewer fix, watch Eureka.

He's great in this 2 season Canadian crime drama called Intelligence as a sketchy dirt bag government agent.

It's a pretty good show generally, think The Wire if it was about the Pacific Northwest weed trade and all the gangsters are hosers.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

EatinCake posted:

I wonder how much of a season 12 would hinge on finding 12 more movies they can afford to license. Maybe that takes time too :s

I suspect this is the thing holding it up, if anything IS holding it up and they're not just waiting for a big reveal. On top of finding the right movies, and finding movies that the rights-holders are willing to release for (albeit loving) mockery, we've seen from the DVDs that figuring out who HAS the rights to some of those things can be a real mess.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Didn't Joel say something at one of the live events that implied that the next season was already a go, but then hastily corrected himself about it because he wasn't supposed to be talking about it yet.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IIRC part of what started getting them money was when Rifftrax started selling episodes of MTS3K and everyone gets their royalties from those.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

muscles like this! posted:

IIRC part of what started getting them money was when Rifftrax started selling episodes of MTS3K and everyone gets their royalties from those.

Which is why I turned around and bought a bunch, even if I owned them on some random DVD from Rhino/Old Shout Factory/Whatever.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

There shouldn't be any issues licensing movies. The "B" movies in the MGM and Universal libraries are cheap, especially MGM since literally every niche label has been raiding their library. All but two episodes from S11 were from packages Shout! licensed for video (Cry Wilderness from Vinegar Syndrome, Carnival Magic from Film Chest).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's probably not so much licensing fees per se but Joel probably either can't or doesn't want to announce the season until they've decided on and cleared every movie and locked down every guest star/actor/etc. It doesn't seem that odd to me that it's taking a while all things considered.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I can guarantee that Netflix dictates when they are allowed to announce their next season and they've been sort of weird about keeping some of the release dates close to their chest this year. I'm not going to question their business model, because they're in weird uncharted waters right now where everyone is trying to create their own version of their old business model and they're altering theirs to re-focus on original content, but hell, there are full episodes of Black Mirror's new season showing at conventions right now and they don't even have a release date.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I hope they're just waiting until all the necessary ducks are in the appropriate rows, but I've heard mutterings to the effect that it didn't perform to expectations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

EatinCake posted:

Again, they also don't have the however many millions of dollars in crowdfunding that they had from the Kickstarter. For a season 12, they have whatever Netflix is willing to pay, and the amount Netflix is willing to pay is directly proportional to the answer to the question, "How many subscriptions will this generate?"

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

If necessary, Joel and Ivan can always hit Kickstarter again. The Rifftrax guys have gone back to that well five times (admittedly for smaller amounts).

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Timby posted:

Again, they also don't have the however many millions of dollars in crowdfunding that they had from the Kickstarter. For a season 12, they have whatever Netflix is willing to pay, and the amount Netflix is willing to pay is directly proportional to the answer to the question, "How many subscriptions will this generate?"

A problem with capitalism that you’d think someone would have thought of is that nothing can just grow forever no matter how good it is.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

business hammocks posted:

A problem with capitalism that you’d think someone would have thought of is that nothing can just grow forever no matter how good it is.

No, you see, when it looks like it's plateauing, you just slash jobs and wages and outsource everything so it LOOKS likethere's more growth.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Timby posted:

Are you saying that the pro move would be to unsub, then resub en masse when they announce a new season?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Bruceski posted:

I suspect this is the thing holding it up, if anything IS holding it up and they're not just waiting for a big reveal. On top of finding the right movies, and finding movies that the rights-holders are willing to release for (albeit loving) mockery, we've seen from the DVDs that figuring out who HAS the rights to some of those things can be a real mess.

iirc the films from this season had the rights owned by shoutfactory, so if that's the case it's easier now since mst3k is partnered with an organization/publisher that already has a massive lovely film library

Timby posted:

netflix is pretty generous with funding original content, and mst3k is real cheap to make

if anything i bet joel was holding out for the kind of deal he wanted, since he had a ton of leverage over netflix by self-funding season 11. his plan before netflix came along was just to kickstart each new season and he can always go back to that if for some reason netflix doesn't want to pay peanuts to draw a cult show viewership to their platform

joel places a lot of weight on creative freedom, conflicts with jim mallon are what drove joel off the show in the first place. now he has his baby back and it's all his, so there's no reason to jeopardize his creative freedom again

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Oct 30, 2017

drunkencarp
Feb 14, 2012
Regardless, it’s really weird for a Netflix show to go this long without a renewal announcement or a lack-of-renewal announcement. Weird to the point of unprecedented.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It really has to be worth it, when I went to the live show there was a very full crowd (with families and children!). Like yeah, it's a cult favorite, but but it's got to have some numbers behind it, and the new season was very highly rated critically, which is something they care about. Come on, Netflix. Announce 12 more seasons. Do it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

When I went to the live show, it was sold out and the vip section was full of people who brought their kids. I feel like the show has to have done ok at least. They kept it on the sci-fi channel for like 5 years and the ratings were probably not very good.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Just got shipping notifications for my season 11 Blu-ray, mystery gift, and a calendar I don’t remember ordering.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Got shipment notification for season 11 blu-rays and a mystery gift. Please no spoilers until next Monday!

^^^ :hfive:

PS. A wildest theory: mystery gift is a lavishly decorated postcard announcing Season 12! Prove me right Joel!

ringu0 fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Nov 7, 2017

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Do you guys know if the Blu Rays will be available for non-backers to purchase? Is it getting a release through Shout? I backed at the digital goods level only which I now super regret given the digital version will be on Netflix forever. I should have backed at the hard copy level but figured the one sent to backers would inevitably be released as something I could buy later. I really didn't see Netflix as the production partner coming, where infinite streaming is inevitable and physical copies are harder to come by.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

They haven’t set an official release date, but they have said it’ll get a general release next year.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Volume VII is available for preorders. Release date: February 13, 2018

Titles Include:
Hercules Unchained
Hercules Against The Moon Men
Prince Of Space
The Killer Shrew with Short Junior Rodeo Daredevils

3 Bonus Shorts:
Assignment: Venezuela
Century 21 Calling
A Case Of Spring Fever

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

ringu0 posted:

Volume VII is available for preorders. Release date: February 13, 2018

Titles Include:
Hercules Unchained
Hercules Against The Moon Men
Prince Of Space
The Killer Shrew with Short Junior Rodeo Daredevils

3 Bonus Shorts:
Assignment: Venezuela
Century 21 Calling
A Case Of Spring Fever

If you don’t have this set already, it’s honestly worth it just for Assignment: Venezuela. Quite possibly the funniest short they ever did.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I must have fallen off the truck at some point. Did they start to re-release the DVD packs? Or reprint and repackage them?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

IUG posted:

I must have fallen off the truck at some point. Did they start to re-release the DVD packs? Or reprint and repackage them?

It's almost certainly a case where Shout Factory didn't get the rights from Rhino The low volume numbers I think were all Rhino and I don't know what their deal was in terms of distribution. They probably had to wait until they lapsed and get their own deal set up for rights before they could re-issue.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Proteus Jones posted:

It's almost certainly a case where Shout Factory didn't get the rights from Rhino The low volume numbers I think were all Rhino and I don't know what their deal was in terms of distribution. They probably had to wait until they lapsed and get their own deal set up for rights before they could re-issue.

And they're being released in standard plastic cases instead of the cardboard boxes.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

This is what they said with the release of Volume I

quote:

Yes, this has all happened before, and it will all happen again. If you're experiencing déjà vu, do not adjust your TV set (or tablets or phones), because it's true: behold, again, the first collection of episodes of the beloved TV series Mystery Science Theater 3000.

Why?

Easy: It had fallen out of print, and the only available copies cost as much as a used car. The episodes collected herein all spring from the same well of cheesy movies, MST'ie favorite Crown International Pictures. We've upgraded the presentation a bit, but most importantly, it's available again and you won't need to sell an organ to buy it.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

IUG posted:

Now that Shout has run out of unreleased episodes, they've been re-releasing the Rhino collections in Shout packaging.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

That's cool. Weren't there some early sets that had some quality issues? Hopefully these fix that. I might have to start selling my blood to get the set though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I think the original volume 7 had problems with the Killer Shrews disk. And I think the Dead Talk Back did as well, though the problem with that may have been from the master tape.