Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

HEY NONG MAN posted:

High end grocers in malls is an interesting idea but it seems like it would undercut the importance of the food court.

I assume it would take at least a little bit of infrastructure change, since the refrigeration and plumbing and general HVAC for a grocery store isn't present in most malls. But all of that could be overcome, because grocery stores in malls are actually common, in places. Also, grocery stores have expanded until many big grocery stores are like department stores with electronics, toys, books, etc. But most grocery stores work on people coming in for staples and loss leaders. People might not drive to the mall and a high end grocery store because they are out of butter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Most food courts these days are dogshit anyways.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
the real traction for mall rehabs is when they develop the parking lots into housing or social space

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

glowing-fish posted:

I assume it would take at least a little bit of infrastructure change, since the refrigeration and plumbing and general HVAC for a grocery store isn't present in most malls. But all of that could be overcome, because grocery stores in malls are actually common, in places. Also, grocery stores have expanded until many big grocery stores are like department stores with electronics, toys, books, etc. But most grocery stores work on people coming in for staples and loss leaders. People might not drive to the mall and a high end grocery store because they are out of butter.

High end grocers don't work on staples and loss leaders like low-cost chain grocers. You go to malls to go to Macy's because that's where Macy's are. If the only Whole Foods in your town is at the mall, and you want to go to a Whole Foods, you will go to the mall. That's the concept of an anchor.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The biggest mall is my town is anchored by a wallmart at one end and a whole foods on the other.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I mentioned before that I have a friend who owns a small mall-based retail business.

The interesting thing to me is how much he had to invest in certain items, basically the store started out as sort of a "all types of <this product>" store and got pushed into a small niche of selling only the stuff they churned the most. Because of the price of floor space in a mall he cannot stock a ton of stuff and so has to make every square foot count.

It's not a game store, but the analogy I would use is that he started as a store that sold all types of games and eventually ended up selling just Magic cards + high-end board games with great components that you could see and get interested in just casually walking by. Literally everything else is his old stock that he hasn't sold yet and he's slowly clearing out.

When it comes to having a breadth of inventory the Internet absolutely crushes these stores, they can't compete.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What are rents like in a typical mall?
I've been looking at some industrial rents and I'm shocked how cheap they were. One place was like 8,000 sqft with 18' ceilings and they rented it out for a couple months for only $5000. Made me want to rent it and illegally carve it into 16 illegal 1br suits and re-rent at $1,200 each.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Baronjutter posted:

I've been looking at some industrial rents and I'm shocked how cheap they were. One place was like 8,000 sqft with 18' ceilings and they rented it out for a couple months for only $5000. Made me want to rent it and illegally carve it into 16 illegal 1br suits and re-rent at $1,200 each.

I've noticed that the prices of small shops in my (expensive) area are roughly half that of a ground floor studio apartment. Makes me think....

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Wegman's is principally known for its good working conditions and for having an excellent buffet/cafeteria/sandwich shop.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
My boyfriend (and the dudes he was in a mediocre band with) lived in a barely up to code loft/warehouse kinda space when we were first dating. It could have been really nice were it not for the fact that the landlord was kind of a dick who'd just kinda lazily put up a few dividing walls, installed some highly questionable plumbing and appliances and called it a day. Didn't help that it was a bunch of dudes living there and the whole place smelled like Modelo and bongwater, of course, but the place was pretty loving gross.

The neighborhood it was in has gentrified a bit since then, last we checked the website it had been split up into three seperat apartments that each rented for what they'd paid for the entire floor

And on a Halloween-appropriate note, my bf had dreams about pigs and blood off and on for the first few weeks he was living there. He later found out that the place had originally been a slaughterhouse :spooky:

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Baronjutter posted:

This is something I believe, perhaps without having evidence for it: half of the cost of a house is plumbing, electricity, HVAC and insulation.

Of course, retail has some of those things, but not the same way that a house would.

Life would be a lot cheaper if we didn't have to poop, people.

glowing-fish fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 27, 2017

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

glowing-fish posted:

This is something I believe, perhaps without having evidence for it: half of the coast of a house is plumbing, electricity, HVAC and insulation.

sort of, but not because of material costs, it's just more expensive to pay an electrician, plumber, or HVAC guy than a drywaller, a framer, or a roofer. you could probably get a whole framing crew for the cost of one qualified electrician (altho residential electric tends to be balls simple)

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

boner confessor posted:

sort of, but not because of material costs, it's just more expensive to pay an electrician, plumber, or HVAC guy than a drywaller, a framer, or a roofer. you could probably get a whole framing crew for the cost of one qualified electrician (altho residential electric tends to be balls simple)

The cost of labor is kind of the cost of most things. That is the labor theory of value. :ussr:

I mean, I know that theoretically you could probably just go to Home Depot, buy a bunch of plumbing equipment for a few thousand dollars, and use it to turn a shop space into three ready to go rental units, but on the other hand, Groverhaus.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

glowing-fish posted:

The cost of labor is kind of the cost of most things. That is the labor theory of value. :ussr:

I mean, I know that theoretically you could probably just go to Home Depot, buy a bunch of plumbing equipment for a few thousand dollars, and use it to turn a shop space into three ready to go rental units, but on the other hand, Groverhaus.

I guess if you like hover pooping into a drainage drain like a chinese person?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Baronjutter posted:

That's how you end up with wrongful death lawsuits.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Magius1337est posted:

I guess if you like hover pooping into a drainage drain like a chinese person?

Can I not pay 60% of my income into rent? If so, sure!

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

BlueBlazer posted:

Can I not pay 60% of my income into rent? If so, sure!

Maybe you're too poor to live in the middle of a hot and trendy downtown area?

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

lol wegmans is basically the anchor store at the weird 'lifestyle center' outdoor mall nearby since the sears right next to it closed!

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Magius1337est posted:

oh totally. half my block has fallen. I've been collecting all the finest cardboard boxes for my eventual eviction.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

glowing-fish posted:

This is something I believe, perhaps without having evidence for it: half of the cost of a house is plumbing, electricity, HVAC and insulation.

Of course, retail has some of those things, but not the same way that a house would.

Life would be a lot cheaper if we didn't have to poop, people.

That's an option if you're willing to utterly change your diet and destroy your intestinal floral like that Soylent guy did.

E: please don't do this, it's a bad idea.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

glowing-fish posted:

I assume it would take at least a little bit of infrastructure change, since the refrigeration and plumbing and general HVAC for a grocery store isn't present in most malls. But all of that could be overcome, because grocery stores in malls are actually common, in places.

Relatively cheaply. Plumbing just isn't a big deal. Refrigeration costs the same regardless of where you're putting it with the exception of a condensate drain.

The most expensive things they would need to install are Ansul systems (hood systems with fire suppression) for some of the cooking equipment like stoves, grills, fryers and salamanders.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Salamanders?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

They are commercial really hot broiler ovens.

If you've ever been in a commercial kitchen you've almost surely seen one:

Edit: it's entirely possible that name for them is a regional term.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
The dying mall fairly close to my house took an old Dillard's anchor building and turned it into a Winco, grocery store which isn't really 'high-end', but has the full deli, butcher etc. The layout is really weird because the original building had multiple small entrances, as many mall-end anchor stores do, but the only place wide enough to put the row of checkout registers is the side where the store meets the mall.

So they walked off all the entrances and you have to walk down a tunnel lined with carts to get to the 'front' of the store, where you can turn left into the mall or turn right into the grocery store. It's very odd, but I'm just happy to have a Winco close to the house. It took them a long time to renovate the building, I think adding all the cold storage and loading docks was a pita. The old store had like one lovely loading dock and now they have three good ones.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Motronic posted:

They are commercial really hot broiler ovens.

If you've ever been in a commercial kitchen you've almost surely seen one:

Edit: it's entirely possible that name for them is a regional term.

Never heard them called Salamanders, just broilers.
But it's been almost 20 years since I worked in a commercial kitchen.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

JnnyThndrs posted:

The dying mall fairly close to my house took an old Dillard's anchor building and turned it into a Winco, grocery store which isn't really 'high-end', but has the full deli, butcher etc. The layout is really weird because the original building had multiple small entrances, as many mall-end anchor stores do, but the only place wide enough to put the row of checkout registers is the side where the store meets the mall.

So they walked off all the entrances and you have to walk down a tunnel lined with carts to get to the 'front' of the store, where you can turn left into the mall or turn right into the grocery store. It's very odd, but I'm just happy to have a Winco close to the house. It took them a long time to renovate the building, I think adding all the cold storage and loading docks was a pita. The old store had like one lovely loading dock and now they have three good ones.

Dang. I'd definitely go to the mall if it had a winco in it.

Why can't all the anchor stores be grocery stores of different stripes instead of department stores? The mall would own if there was a WinCo, wegmans, and a trader Joe's in it.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
There's an old mall around here that was converted into a gigantic Asian supermarket, it owns

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Dang. I'd definitely go to the mall if it had a winco in it.

Why can't all the anchor stores be grocery stores of different stripes instead of department stores? The mall would own if there was a WinCo, wegmans, and a trader Joe's in it.

Mostly it's because all the grocery stores that would use such a space already secured a good location elsewhere a while back and don't really want to move. And their parent chain doesn't want to mess with the current store catchment areas.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
There's a kind of mini-mall that exists on a busy street in my home town that used to be a kmart but with a few additional stores attached. I don't recall what those stores used to be but kmart left a few years ago. It's been interesting seeing how things have turned out for that place. Every year there's been a lone business that takes up shop in one of the smaller places and each year they close up and someone else moves in. This year though a walgreens is moving into the corner. They must be confident because the corner building is getting a facelift to look like other walgreens in the area.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Once Walgreens starts carrying narcan it will be a community hub.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Magius1337est posted:

Or within a 90 minute drive of a hot and trendy downtown area, a place you have lived your entire life and cannot afford to move away from.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
http://www.ajc.com/news/national/robots-help-stock-shelves-walmart-stores/b6rr3q3P6t9crhDzpb5RSI/

Article about Walmart adding a pilot program where robots will examine shelves and keep track of inventory.

This is one thing that robots can probably do easily, and while it won't totally eliminate the job of shelver, it looks like another thing that is going to chip away at labor demand in the retail sector.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

glowing-fish posted:

http://www.ajc.com/news/national/robots-help-stock-shelves-walmart-stores/b6rr3q3P6t9crhDzpb5RSI/

Article about Walmart adding a pilot program where robots will examine shelves and keep track of inventory.

This is one thing that robots can probably do easily, and while it won't totally eliminate the job of shelver, it looks like another thing that is going to chip away at labor demand in the retail sector.

This is already a thing a fair few amazon warehouses over in the UK. They do the job of 6 people in half the time with a negligible error rate compared to a 5% error rate in humans.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Did I post the camper force article here? I can't remember so I'm doing it again.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...acCEby1&ampcf=1

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

glowing-fish posted:

The demand they chip away is mostly going to be cashiers because they're the ones that lose the most time to stuff being tagged wrong or stocked in the wrong place.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

BrandorKP posted:

Did I post the camper force article here? I can't remember so I'm doing it again.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...n5RacCEby1&cf=1

The part where the guy is glad his workers are 80 and dont ask for much :bang:

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

BrandorKP posted:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...acCEby1&ampcf=1
omg this is awful and it proves that the enemies aren't the boomers specifically - to find the true enemies, we need to look at the super-wealthy boomers who have now formed their own league of superboomers oppressing the other slightly-less-wealthy boomers, because they've locked every single non-wealthy-boomer group out entirely and they have to torture somebody. them. they are the enemy.

this is incredible:

quote:

It did not go so well at first. Another couple they’d met on the road had invited them to join a large, shared campsite. When the Stouts arrived, they saw that the campers staying there all had vehicles of the same type—luxury Blue Bird Wanderlodge motor homes—parked in a circle around a large bonfire pit. The Blue Bird owners, who generally seemed more well-to-do than Barb and Chuck, called the Stouts’ vehicle an “SOB,” slang for “Some Other Brand.” It was not invited to join the grand formation. So Barb and Chuck parked behind the Blue Birds. Some nights, they had their own bonfire.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

BrandorKP posted:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...n5RacCEby1&cf=1

Thanks for sharing this - this is a really great read and it's scary as hell.

On the subject of camping culture, I can't think of a more expensive hobby than the "glamping" trend. I'm not sure if it's a regional term, but it refers to glamor-camping, in which you have a set spot at a campsite and a fully furnished RV to stay in. These people put themselves into so much debt for an RV, a boat, a golf cart, gas, food, alcohol, other supplies, etc just so they can pretend they're living in the wilderness for 12-16 weekends a year.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Thanks for sharing this - this is a really great read and it's scary as hell.

On the subject of camping culture, I can't think of a more expensive hobby than the "glamping" trend. I'm not sure if it's a regional term, but it refers to glamor-camping, in which you have a set spot at a campsite and a fully furnished RV to stay in. These people put themselves into so much debt for an RV, a boat, a golf cart, gas, food, alcohol, other supplies, etc just so they can pretend they're living in the wilderness for 12-16 weekends a year.

"Glamping" to me has always referred to some resort/guided thing where you were put up in a luxury yurt or whatever and lounged around sipping cocktails and getting a massage on the beach. What you're describing is just general "RVing", or seasonal camping. Although I think the term "glamping" has been co-opted by this crowd a bit since seasonal RVing has a kind of trashy or "old retired Boomer" spin to it now.

Either way, it's still expensive as gently caress. My dad just retired and ordered a relatively modest travel trailer, and holy poo poo some of the stuff you see in those catalogs is insane. The "Class A" RVs built on diesel bus frames can easily go for $100,000 or more. Even "smaller" 5th wheel style trailers often require you to have (or I'm assuming more frequently, buy) a heavy pickup like an F-250 or 350. So factor in at least $20-30k before you even look at the trailer.

Luckily my dad didn't go off the deep end, and got something that he can pull with his "normal" F-150 he's had for years. Dude's done enough real camping over the years, and now he's in his mid 60's and has Parkinson's and rheumatoid arthritis so if he wants to use a camper at this stage, so be it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

the old ceremony posted:

omg this is awful and it proves that the enemies aren't the boomers specifically - to find the true enemies, we need to look at the super-wealthy boomers who have now formed their own league of superboomers oppressing the other slightly-less-wealthy boomers, because they've locked every single non-wealthy-boomer group out entirely and they have to torture somebody. them. they are the enemy.

this is incredible:

That is so sad and it shows the absolute civic rot that the last 60 or so years of rampant consumerism has wrought on us.

I mean really, I winced when I read that. Those two really did get shafted and lost huge and here they are getting poo poo on by their own cohort.