Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

hey thats me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Teeny Little Super Jedi

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Jerkface posted:

Spin this poo poo around I wanna see the porgs

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
I just realized Star Wars movies had the exact same trajectory as the Phoenix Wright series. Brilliant original trilogy that somehow both exemplifies and transcends its moment in cultural time. Director becomes embittered and makes a joyless sequel that's generally less liked by everyone but specifically hated by the fans because of how much it subverts the originals. Director leaves but series IP owners make a new one anyway, it's pure fan pandering that seeks to erase everyone's bad feelings about the last one but by being more like the original trilogy but ultimately is just empty.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

Captain Splendid posted:

Teeny Little Super Jedi

Won't let this go underappreciated!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rjvt6xqKwV8

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Jerkface posted:

The porgs are the wind beneath his wings.

Forever sad I'll never be able to ride an eggbeater.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jerkface posted:

Porgs got their own glasses. Not a joke.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I just realized Star Wars movies had the exact same trajectory as the Phoenix Wright series. Brilliant original trilogy that somehow both exemplifies and transcends its moment in cultural time. Director becomes embittered and makes a joyless sequel that's generally less liked by everyone but specifically hated by the fans because of how much it subverts the originals. Director leaves but series IP owners make a new one anyway, it's pure fan pandering that seeks to erase everyone's bad feelings about the last one but by being more like the original trilogy but ultimately is just empty.

What is Ghost Trick in this metaphor?

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Red tails

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

WrightOfWay posted:

What is Ghost Trick in this metaphor?

It doesn't have an analogue, but Ace Attorney Investigations was Rogue One.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

If you look at it through the lens of classical conditioning, the new trilogy is actually performing a valuable service.

Unconditioned stimulus: Creative, visually interesting film where every part of the production contributes to a deeply resonant gestalt
Conditioned stimulus: TIE fighters

And if you expose the organism to the conditioned stimulus alone enough it causes extinction of the conditioned response. In other words, the trilogy could break our culture's addiction to Star Wars and finally let us move on.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I watched TFA again last night, and then I watched the most recent trailer, and I feel like the theory that Rey is a female clone of Vader through Snoke/First Order shenanigans is the most likely outcome.

Especially when Luke says he’s only seen this kind of power once before. He could be talking about Kylo Ren, but I feel like he’s talking about Vader.

It might also explain why she had Vader-themed flashbacks when she touched the saber. Luke being her old man is too obvious, as far as i’m concerned. And her being a Palpatine is also too goofy.

As to how she ended up on Jakku, who the hell knows. Maybe Luke or someone close to his new Jedi Order found out about her lineage, and because she’s a potential walking, talking Dark Side WMD, dropped her off on Desert Shithole VI in the hopes that she’d live out her life ignorant of the Force.

Kylo, a Vader fanboy who’s directly related to him, somehow knows she’s a Vader clone and that’s why he wants to befriend her and train her.

I’ll almost certainly be proven wrong in 6 weeks, though.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Oct 29, 2017

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
Clone of Vader or Palpatine is bush-league.

It will be revealed that Rey is a clone of Bill Belichick.

https://youtu.be/8yRQnZWbl6k

The horror. The horror.

Preston Waters fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Oct 29, 2017

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

BarronsArtGallery posted:

Clone of Vader or Palpatine is bush-league.

It will be revealed that Rey is a clone of Bill Belichick.

The horror. The horror.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
There are people who doubt she's a Kenobi?

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Porg Kenobi

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

wukkar posted:

There are people who doubt she's a Kenobi?

Not sure how that would work. She would have to be his grand-daughter, so it would be a bit awkward to try to insert all of things that would explain it since it wasn't set up, at all.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Gonz posted:

Especially when Luke says he’s only seen this kind of power once before. He could be talking about Kylo Ren,

he was absolutely talking about kylo and i don't get how anyone can think otherwise

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Gonz posted:

I watched TFA again last night, and then I watched the most recent trailer, and I feel like the theory that Rey is a female clone of Vader through Snoke/First Order shenanigans is the most likely outcome.

Especially when Luke says he’s only seen this kind of power once before. He could be talking about Kylo Ren, but I feel like he’s talking about Vader.

It might also explain why she had Vader-themed flashbacks when she touched the saber. Luke being her old man is too obvious, as far as i’m concerned. And her being a Palpatine is also too goofy.

As to how she ended up on Jakku, who the hell knows. Maybe Luke or someone close to his new Jedi Order found out about her lineage, and because she’s a potential walking, talking Dark Side WMD, dropped her off on Desert Shithole VI in the hopes that she’d live out her life ignorant of the Force.

Kylo, a Vader fanboy who’s directly related to him, somehow knows she’s a Vader clone and that’s why he wants to befriend her and train her.

I’ll almost certainly be proven wrong in 6 weeks, though.

They are never going to use EU flavoured stuff in the movies they are trying to sell to a general movie audience. The vast majority of people seeing the new movies barely knows the EU exists and would respond with a hearty "What the gently caress??" to any goofy Vader/Palpatine cloning garbage.

Also as others have said, these trailers are deliberately designed to be misleading and using them to judge any thing is folly. I could point out how wrong a lot of the assumptions in your post but I don't want to come across as attacking you directly (although it looks like I Am, sorry don't mean too)

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Brother Entropy posted:

he was absolutely talking about kylo and i don't get how anyone can think otherwise

Yeah, this is the logical conclusion. Luke failing to see Ben's volatility as a threat resulted in the destruction of his new Jedi Order.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I don't even remember enough about Rey for any twist about her origin to surprise me. All I know is she was orphaned, she's the even chosener one than Anakin, and she got visions when she touched Luke's lightsaber.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Unless Luke told her "you are my father"

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

504 posted:

They are never going to use EU flavoured stuff in the movies they are trying to sell to a general movie audience. The vast majority of people seeing the new movies barely knows the EU exists and would respond with a hearty "What the gently caress??" to any goofy Vader/Palpatine cloning garbage.

Also as others have said, these trailers are deliberately designed to be misleading and using them to judge any thing is folly. I could point out how wrong a lot of the assumptions in your post but I don't want to come across as attacking you directly (although it looks like I Am, sorry don't mean too)

Oh no problem at all. I’m just throwing out random speculation at this point. As you said, the trailers are full of red herrings designed to mislead. I’m almost certainly wrong.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
The twist for Rey is that there is no twist and she was just abandoned by some rear end in a top hat parents.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The twist for Rey is that there is no twist and she was just abandoned by some rear end in a top hat parents.

Well that kind of shows the problem. There's nothing in the first movie to even be twisted. In ESB, Vader being Luke's father directly contradicted what we'd been told before so there was this sense of betrayal toward Obiwan that Luke and the audience both shared. In TFA, everything pointed to Rey having some relation to the Skywalkers and a weird origin, so can it even be considered a twist when it turns out she had a weird origin that relates to the Skywalkers?

On the other hand, it'll be a pretty good twist from Kylo Ren's perspective, thinking he's the chosen successor to Vader only to find out Vader's literal clone exists and is better than him

But yes like you said, it actually would be a twist if Rey wasn't related to anyone. It'd twist the central logic of the films themselves that everything has to be superficially like the OT

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

They gotta do something with Rey because at this point Rey is basically Luke, but with more economic horror in her background. I honestly found Finn more compelling as a character since he has airs of a moral choice and a sort of awakening while Rey just kinda felt "there." I do not hate, of course, that people loved the character.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I'm just going to be so happy when Rey's true identity turns out to be... Rey, and Snoke's true identity turns out to be... Snoke.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Nessus posted:

They gotta do something with Rey because at this point Rey is basically Luke, but with more economic horror in her background. I honestly found Finn more compelling as a character since he has airs of a moral choice and a sort of awakening while Rey just kinda felt "there." I do not hate, of course, that people loved the character.

Yeah Finn was definitely more interesting (and also the only character without an OT analogue) but aside from the scene where he finds his adoptive parents dead Luke was also just kind of "there" in the first movie too so whatever.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Although Luke did have a kind of naivete Rey doesn't, probably because it would come across differently if a woman was like that

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I'm just going to be so happy when Rey's true identity turns out to be... Rey, and Snoke's true identity turns out to be... Snoke.

Snoke is actually hundreds of Porgs.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

It's impossible for Snoke to just be Snoke because he's too old and powerful to not have been prominent during the OT

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Yeah Finn was definitely more interesting (and also the only character without an OT analogue) but aside from the scene where he finds his adoptive parents dead Luke was also just kind of "there" in the first movie too so whatever.
Sure, Luke was kind of a non-entity, I mean more if all Rey does is show up and be taciturn and interested in having a steady job while also killing people with a lightsaber, that would suck.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Jeb! Repetition posted:

It's impossible for Snoke to just be Snoke because he's too old and powerful to not have been prominent during the OT

Not necessarily. For one, it's possible he came from outside known space.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

TheMaestroso posted:

Not necessarily. For one, it's possible he came from outside known space.

He's a Yuzhan Vong? Or however that's spelled.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
why the gently caress did they call their big bad 'snoke'

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Milky Moor posted:

why the gently caress did they call their big bad 'snoke'

I do not know.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Adam Driver lets Star Wars secrets slip in the latest GQ

quote:

"You have, also, the hidden identity of this princess who's hiding who she really is so she can survive and Kylo Ren and her hiding behind these artifices," Driver says, apparently dropping a massive revelation about Rey's royal origins.

:eyepop:

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Wew

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Driver, you done hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
If it turns out that she knew who she was but kept it from the audience the whole time...

that's just like the laziest writing ever

• Locked thread