Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

two_step posted:

So will the AI just keep invading Luganville until it succeeds? Can't you just make the place a fortress and stall them forever there?

Didn't the Japanese AI do that with Eniwetok? I feel like it gets target fixation sometimes and if you can sink/beat back the first invasion force they'll just send reinforcements forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Some idiots don't listen to my orders.

I'm going to have to double check said orders.

The Allies attack at Buna. This place is not going to last long.

I double check the ranges I set for the bombers. The Kates must have launched from the docked Kido Butai.

Our second wounded light carrier reaches home.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
A touch overloaded at the shipyard. Looks like the Yamashiro needs a whole new engine.

I'd say that should speed up a lot as the CVLs and DDs are patched up, but those BBs alone are presumably more than enough to break capacity.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Put the battleships on pierside repairs until you have the dry dock space. The light units will finish relatively quickly, without the overload penalty.

Slippery42
Nov 10, 2011
You only need shipyard mode to repair major floatation/engine damage, so if a ship only has systems damage or minor flt/eng damage, pier side works just as well (if not more quickly) and requires no drydock space. Musashi and Hyuga can be moved there at this point, along with several lighter ships.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Grey Hunter posted:

The Allies attack at Buna. This place is not going to last long.

Nice

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Bip Roberts posted:

Didn't the Japanese AI do that with Eniwetok? I feel like it gets target fixation sometimes and if you can sink/beat back the first invasion force they'll just send reinforcements forever.

Yes. The AI can be pretty bad at force concentration - it has a target it wants to take, but whenever that impulse strikes it, it'll send whatever it has on-hand, rather than waiting for a critical mass of forces.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yes. The AI can be pretty bad at force concentration - it has a target it wants to take, but whenever that impulse strikes it, it'll send whatever it has on-hand, rather than waiting for a critical mass of forces.

The AI also has a terrible tendency to group passenger liners with actual landing craft for beach invasions

Leon Cross
May 10, 2016
I now have the image of a Disney Cruise liner beaching itself and marines poring out of it to storm a Japanese island in my head.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

We lose a plane on the ground.

We hit another base, but the other one flips back.

Another carrier group heads south and does some damage.

Curse you!

There is another round of fighting at Buna.

The Allies are definitely on the offensive. Its small and slow, but they are pushing in now.

Wounded ships sink.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Leon Cross posted:

I now have the image of a Disney Cruise liner beaching itself and marines poring out of it to storm a Japanese island in my head.

Basically this is what happens whenever a cruise ship sails into a small town.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

BATTLESHIP!

BATTLESHIPS! This is a good day! Losses are high, but we get some nice hits in.

A smaller wave fails to get some hits, but report the New Mexico has flooded her magazines.

The afternoon attack finishes the Alabama. The New Mexico and Astoria are both in the bag as well.

The other group is further south fight though fighters to a troop convoy.

This is a Terror attack!

The flak today has been absolutely brutal – but that is to be expected going after battleships. That said, this is a lot of damage done to their invasion support.

We claim a battleship and an heavy cruiser. We should have another battleship tomorrow.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

:toot:

I actually got a chance to visit the Alabama not to long ago. Guess I wont get the chance in this timeline.:v:

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Good catch, the Alabama was a South Dakota-class battleship.

Brutal day in the air, but a modern battleship and a heavy cruiser more than make up for it.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Whoo! Congrats. One BB sunk, one mauled, and one dead cruiser isn't a bad haul at all. And suppose tomorrow you'll also treat into that troop convoy as well. Theoretically how many BB's and Carriers would the Allies have in the Pacific at this point with losses and replacements?

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
What are the differences game-wise between an older US battleship and a newly commissioned one?

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Mos of the existant US BB's were built during WW1 or the 1920's. After the Naval Treaty of London it was permitted to build much smaller ones in terms of total tonnage. While the BB's had been refitted, most of the ones in service in the USN in the Pacific were at least 20 years old, if not more

Newer BB's had better hull protection, could make more knots, had lots more AA, radar firing for the guns.. More/bigger guns in general, mroe secondaries.. Also they were much sounder structurally so internal damage from hits was less of a threat, which made the Damage Control of the USN much, much more effective and them less prone to being brutalized from hits at weak points (compared to, say, the Hood).

Most importantly for the Pacific they had lots more AA and were faster so they could keep up with carrier TF's. They were far more effective at dealing with enemy aircraft.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

How many of the South Dakota-class battleships has Grey sunk so far? There were four completed and I think he's sunk at least one before, though I could be thinking of the Iowa-class battleships.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I suppose the pilots are the true resource but seems like that's an acceptable number of planes to trade for battleships.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Great day for the IJN!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
:rip: CannonFodder

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

RZApublican posted:

How many of the South Dakota-class battleships has Grey sunk so far? There were four completed and I think he's sunk at least one before, though I could be thinking of the Iowa-class battleships.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Yes, the museum ships of the US are going to have to be light cruisers, memorializing the great Pacific War where they fought to confused victory after the Japanese High Command suddenly surrendered after discovering a mixup ended up turning all their raw materials into engines for out of date scout planes.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

:stare:

I mean, the US is still gonna have half a dozen Iowas running around so it's not like we're gonna have battleship superiority but drat that's gotta hurt.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
~100kt of warship is a good day.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
In game play terms the speed of the newer battleships is the biggest differential. You can put the fast ones in your carrier task groups, and their crazy AA and torpedo-sponge ability really helps.

Planes will often attack them instead of your carriers, which is also very helpful.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

One of our subs is sunk. I have no idea how the LSI got a shell hit from a submerged sub, but I guess the enemies fire control discipline is lacking.

Their back again.

Carrier based planes try and protect the base, but do poorly.

They get a warhawk later on though.

The bombers hit a couple of nice transports.

The afternoon strike does some more damage.

The AA on their warships is definitely building up.

More troops are landed at Jaluit. This may take them over the edge – I need to get more of my own men on shore and soon!

The night fighters need to get better at their job!

No more sign of battleships today. But I can begin reloading the men from New Caledonia to ship back to Rabaul. Lets hope I can keep the convoy covered!

No sign of a second battleship yet.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Jobbo_Fett posted:

:rip: CannonFodder
That makes 2 BBs that I've picked and IRL survived the war that sank to Grey Hunter :argh:

I'll take SS Drum, the submarine at the same park as the Alabama.

edit: The battle report says the Alabama sunk, but the overall report at the end of the post says the New Mexico sank. What's going on? The world wonders.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Oct 31, 2017

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

CannonFodder posted:

That makes 2 BBs that I've picked and IRL survived the war that sank to Grey Hunter :argh:

I'll take SS Drum, the submarine at the same park as the Alabama.

edit: The battle report says the Alabama sunk, but the overall report at the end of the post says the New Mexico sank. What's going on? The world wonders.

if you pick a British ship the double negative will keep it alive forever

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
It seems that once the allies get an uncontested foothold onto an island, there's no chance of wresting control back from them regardless of the Japanese AV advantage.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

In light of that, how many Iowa's have gone down?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

RZApublican posted:

In light of that, how many Iowa's have gone down?

None, the Iowas don't show up until '44.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

31 October 1943

German (ex-Danish) sloop Heimdal, sabotaged at Copenhagen.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

It’s worth noting that even the oldest pre-war US battleships get pretty terrifying AA through upgrades, as the war goes on.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
I imagine that newfangled "radar" contraption probably helps a fair bit with making flak more effective.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

I imagine that newfangled "radar" contraption probably helps a fair bit with making flak more effective.

Especially when miniaturized and put inside shells.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Also paired with

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1i-dnAH9Y4

Reuben Sandwich
Jan 27, 2007

sullat posted:

Especially when miniaturized and put inside shells.
Is there anything out there that goes into depth on the VT fuse?

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009

Reuben Sandwich posted:

Is there anything out there that goes into depth on the VT fuse?

Most of what I know came from bits and pieces of articles from history magazines I read years ago so I'm unsure about what's online.

The most interesting bit of trivia I remember about it is that developing it was as huge of an undertaking for the US as the Manhattan Project and just as secret.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reuben Sandwich
Jan 27, 2007

Stumbling Block posted:

Most of what I know came from bits and pieces of articles from history magazines I read years ago so I'm unsure about what's online.

The most interesting bit of trivia I remember about it is that developing it was as huge of an undertaking for the US as the Manhattan Project and just as secret.
That's all I've been able to find is sections here and there. So little about something so remarkable.

The bit of trivia about the VT fuse I found interesting was that it was exclusively used in the Pacific and over only water at first as they were affraid of the Germans reverse engineering it. Watching Air Corps training films on flak navigation I can understand why.