Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
al-azad
May 28, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It isn't, either the be-all and end-all or my personal favorite; FPSes aren't even my favorite genre.

But it doesn't need to be either of those things for any of this to be relevant. If we lived in an alternate universe where console controller design never shifted the emphasis of FPS games away from aim, but rail shooters somehow became the default for some reason, I'd be talking about how we need to bring back positioning.

This is where you lose me, specifically the focus on aiming as the emphasis. I have never felt aiming was key to the design of any FPS that's not a realistic military shooter. Every shooter prior to Quake 3 had auto-aim and even with Quake 3 the focus was on maneuvering. Hitscan weapons had a wide spread like the shotgun or near instant kill like the railgun, while a weapon like the lightning gun was more about herding your opponent around than pointing at them. I'd say modern shooters are more about accuracy because not counting the cartoony ones like Overwatch a shot pretty much anywhere in CoD or CS:GO is instant death, rewarding twitch reactions. It becomes a game of who sees whom first which is definitely not a skill level I want to bother with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Anybody else notice how much Mario Odyssey borrows from Dark Souls? Everytime you die you lose some currency and if you make it back to your body without dying you can retrieve your lost fortune.

As you make progress there are these flags that are exactly like bonfires. When you activate them they allow you to respawn there and even use them for quick travel.

It's pretty cool that even your favorite plummer is taking notes from dark souls games

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

tap my mountain posted:

Is Super Mario Odyssey the first Mario game with titty jiggle?

madame flurrie

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
For a little while last night I was trying to play Odyssey and watch Stranger Things 2 at the same time. It didn't work though because insane things kept happening in Stranger Things and I'd have to put Mario down, and vice versa.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Ok I ran out of interest in the debate I guess. I don't see what the problem is inherently with things changing from what they were before. Just because they're different doesn't mean they're worse. I guess you're arguing that they are worse but I don't agree so whatevs!

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
As an Overwatch player that can't AIM for poo poo and mostly enjoys Symmetra and Mercy, I think I am everything Tuxedo Catfish hates in fpss.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
ANYWAYS, my work is done for the day so back to Mario!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Do Mario games have too low of a skill floor these days? 🤔

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

you're making a bad joke, but odyssey has the highest skill ceiling of any mario game. also a high floor if all the people complaining about the motion controls is any indication lmao

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think people are just annoyed there are motion controls in a game they wanna play in handheld mode

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The motion controls suck because I want to play it handheld

^^ Yeah!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

homeless snail posted:

you're making a bad joke, but odyssey has the highest skill ceiling of any mario game. also a high floor if all the people complaining about the motion controls is any indication lmao

It's mostly that you can't use the motion controls while playing in handheld mode. There's no reason to not bind them to buttons either since there are free ones available.

It's not a big deal since you don't really need the extra moves for anything but it is pretty dumb.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The motion controls arent bad at all but they're pretty pointless and I think people just thought even Nintendo was over that bullshit by now

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

The motion controls wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't always slightly faster/higher than the normal button press.

It's like microtransactions except instead of taking my money they're making me exert a little extra effort.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

you do need them, if you want to play skillfully. refusing to engage with mechanics puts you under the skill floor, I regret to inform you

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Andrast posted:

It's mostly that you can't use the motion controls while playing in handheld mode. There's no reason to not bind them to buttons either since there are free ones available.

It's not a big deal since you don't really need the extra moves for anything but it is pretty dumb.

That's the most baffling part.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I wish dive wasn't bound to a button combo.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

al-azad posted:

SH3 didn't get going until far too late in the game. And Dahlia was lame but Kaufmann and Lisa more than make up for it whereas Vincent and Claudia are kind of nonexistant creepy people and the detective guy a huge goof. Part of it may be nostalgia, SH1 and SH2 were the only games in the series I played when new, but SH1 has this sense of place that neither of the sequels has managed yet. Silent Hill is modeled like an actual town and the drug fueled (literally) story keeps things slightly more grounded.

I think I'll like The Room the best.
I enjoy the mundane normal world aspects of Silent Hill far more than the gross rusty chain sections and SH3 leaned heavily on those.

You would be the first person, ever, in the history of the world.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Still can't make up my mind on if i want to buy Destiny 2 or not

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X-S4qCs-R8

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

homeless snail posted:

you do need them, if you want to play skillfully. refusing to engage with mechanics puts you under the skill floor, I regret to inform you

Motion controls suck nards 100%

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Olive! posted:

quotin'

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

not saying they do or don't, but they're mechanics (and good and useful mechanics also!!) and mechanics deserve respect. I don't particularly love bunny hopping but its necessary to do if I wanna play quake

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
By the way Nintendo...sparkling water? In a corked bottle for a wedding? Are you really still not able to think Americans can't handle anything harder than Soda Popinski?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

homeless snail posted:

not saying they do or don't, but they're mechanics (and good and useful mechanics also!!) and mechanics deserve respect.

Not when it's motion controls!

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

glam rock hamhock posted:

By the way Nintendo...sparkling water? In a corked bottle for a wedding? Are you really still not able to think Americans can't handle anything harder than Soda Popinski?

Wait till you get to the part where Bowser koopanaps a non denominational prayer leader

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Olive! posted:

But people love RE4 Wii

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

sparkling water is trendy

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

glam rock hamhock posted:

idk I'd be more disappointed if nintendo properties didn't do this sort of innocence gag after all this time

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBxW4bDI1rU

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

They should replace every instance of 'soda'/'juice'/'milk' in Nintendo games with gin. Nothing but gin

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ginger ale it is

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

maybe it's the crew's infectious laughter or maybe the high, i don't know, but i have not laughed harder at a wanking joke in a long, long time

god bless you nintendo

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Really Pants posted:

ginger ale it is

mario takes a sip of the butterscotch sauce in his flask... it's the only way he can make it through the day

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

The White Dragon posted:

mario takes a sip of the butterscotch sauce in his flask... it's the only way he can make it through the day

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

this game is so good

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Has Mario always been this expressive since the days of Sunshine and Galaxy and I just never noticed

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It’s funny how many costumes Odyssey includes without the need for lootboxes (I guess there are technically Amiibo.)

tap my mountain posted:

Is Super Mario Odyssey the first Mario game with titty jiggle?

lol probably not jiggle physics though, just a canned (and funny) animation.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Tbh I was not expecting a Mario game to have the best photo mode of the year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

https://twitter.com/TomColetti/status/924222661370175488

• Locked thread