Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

OhsH posted:

Yeah yeah, i get it, codemasters is a company and not some dipshit, but loving lol at them getting up in arms when 95%of ac mods are all ripped from nfs shift and forza anyways.

I certainly don't feel conflicted about using codemasters' tracks in AC anymore though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
I would, their tracks are trash

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Eh, sometimes they're the only option for f1 tracks and they're a hell of a lot better than I could do. Their Malaysia is great fun.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

They're not actually the same though? I see lots of tris on one that aren't on the other.

Lmao all these people jumping to conclusions "codemasters so bad" who don't know anything about 3d modeling

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Oct 28, 2017

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The model was admitted to be used as a "reference" but that dude isn't gonna see more than the cash for the royalty free purchase on turbosquid, because if he went after codemasters for anything else, Ferrari S.p.A. will deep dick him for pursuing codemasters without asking Ferrari for the permission to make the original F2002 3d model.

Dude is dumber than a loving fence post if he takes it any further than the money from the sale of the model from turbosquid.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah it is. And you can pull the wheel off like a proper F1 car, and then swap in a round road car wheel, so its the best of both worlds, instead of a one-size-fits-all approach.

Exactly. I have the F1 rim and the M3 rim, both are awesome. I had a Thrustmaster T500 before with the F1 rim, and it's no comparission in build quality. One is plastic, the other is metal and carbon.

What's also awesome about the CSW and it's rims is the onboard tuning menu. You can change nearly every setting directly on the wheel, like sensitivity, deadzone, linearity, drift simulation (I am so used playing with -2 or -3 here because it gives an awesome feel imo, and makes the wheel not too light), break pedal sensitivity and many different FFB settings like overall strength, strength from suspension, strength from tire friction etc. It's super quick and easy, and can be saved in different profiles for different rims or games. Saves a ton of time and many trips to the games own settings menu.

It is a drat expensive setup, but you get a lot for the money. The pedals are awesome, too, even "stupid" features like the vibrating throttle when understeering are actually good. While it's not realistic, you get used to it and as soon as the pedal starts to vibrate, you know what's wrong.

I might sound like a Fanatec shill, I know, but I'm just really impressed by their products and especially build quality. The shifter for example is sturdy as gently caress and super adjustable.

/fanatec shill post

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

also: if someone wants carbon shifter paddles for the F1 rim (you can get them for couple of bucks from a company that produces them for real race cars, at least here in germany...I think I paid 15 eur for them), I created a small adapter I printed with a 3D printer, if anyone wants the file or a set of adapters, just PM me, I'll supply the file or maybe (depending on where you are in the world) can mail some over.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

I was ready to not believe this but apparently Codemasters sent him this

So, I dunno, crazy!

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Matt Archer, how could you!

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Nice

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Zaphod42 posted:

They're not actually the same though? I see lots of tris on one that aren't on the other.

Lmao all these people jumping to conclusions "codemasters so bad" who don't know anything about 3d modeling

Also at the risk of an rear end reaming :lol:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

orange juche posted:

The model was admitted to be used as a "reference" but that dude isn't gonna see more than the cash for the royalty free purchase on turbosquid, because if he went after codemasters for anything else, Ferrari S.p.A. will deep dick him for pursuing codemasters without asking Ferrari for the permission to make the original F2002 3d model.

Dude is dumber than a loving fence post if he takes it any further than the money from the sale of the model from turbosquid.

Hahaha, good point. The whole turbosquid page is illegal in the first place.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Automobilista is 50% off on Steam right now.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Automobilista is 50% off on Steam right now.

Game+Season Pass is £21 as well which is a drat fine deal with all the old cars they added recently but I haven't driven because Forza.

General RAARGH
Jan 24, 2003

armchair general
Automobilista is a fine sim but sadly haven’t played it once since VR

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
How is Automobilista with a 360 controller?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

How is Automobilista with a 360 controller?

Not terrible, they did a load of work to it recently with XInput support and improving the gamepad defaults because their head track guy uses a gamepad. It's not ideal and not up to Forza and PCars 2 levels but it's playable.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Do you guys agree with this dudes top 3 vehicle physics games?

https://youtu.be/9WjCwlY2YIQ

1) rfactor 2
2) assetto corsa
3) pcars 2

I realize car feel is subjective, but I haven’t played any of those games.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Any ranking of physics is dumb sim nerd wankery really. Content and the actual racing is way more important. Which makes it kinda funny that this dude's physics #1 is the game with the biggest content problem, and his 2nd has possibly the worst actual racing in the genre right now.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That’s kind of what I thought. I want forza 7 because of the content it brings and I hope it provides decent physics and wheel feel (can I trademark that?) as well on pc.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

While on the subject of forza, I really like GT Sport for its online, but the single player campaign is....bad. As is the track selection and the car selection so far.

I miss the “gotta collect em all” aspect of the earlier ps2 Gran Turismos. I also miss tuning terrible shitboxes into fearsome track monsters. Does forza provide either of these things?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

While on the subject of forza, I really like GT Sport for its online, but the single player campaign is....bad. As is the track selection and the car selection so far.

I miss the “gotta collect em all” aspect of the earlier ps2 Gran Turismos. I also miss tuning terrible shitboxes into fearsome track monsters. Does forza provide either of these things?

Well it is sport. Its basically a demo for the real GT like MGS Ground Zeroes, but with lots of multiplayer to tide you over.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Yea. Forza plays nice. Default tunes aren’t great for the cars

I’m sure some people on reddit dislike the game because of tire wall flexing or whatever

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

Well it is sport. Its basically a demo for the real GT like MGS Ground Zeroes, but with lots of multiplayer to tide you over.

Have they confirmed this? I thought it was the mainline Gran Turismo and we have to wait another like decade for the next one

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
There is nothing about an actual Gran Turismo 7. Maybe this week, but no.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

forza 7 on a PC is a mixed experience.. It hasn't run well for me in the past week or so.. I've had crashes, stuttering etc.

it does work well with a controller and you won't have a terrible experience driving with a pad instead of a wheel, it's pretty forgiving, especially with assists on.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Do you guys agree with this dudes top 3 vehicle physics games?

https://youtu.be/9WjCwlY2YIQ

1) rfactor 2
2) assetto corsa
3) pcars 2

I realize car feel is subjective, but I haven’t played any of those games.

For me it's a bit daft to segment them into fav games or whatever, it's more nuanced than that.
The Jaguar JXR9 around Historic Spa in Project Cars 2 is perhaps the best feeling car / track combo I have ever experienced, but a lot of stuff in that game is the polar opposite.
Same with Assetto, the Porsche Cayman Club around the Ring is just unbelievably good.
iRacing, there are shitloads of cars in that that I do not like at all, but the MX5 around Laguna Seca is amazing.

It's a bit like asking what is your favourite sandwich - another thing I refuse to commit an answer too.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Video games played on plastic controllers.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

njsykora posted:

Any ranking of physics is dumb sim nerd wankery really. Content and the actual racing is way more important. Which makes it kinda funny that this dude's physics #1 is the game with the biggest content problem, and his 2nd has possibly the worst actual racing in the genre right now.

What's important in a racing sim is subjective. Video games are very subjective in general.

I picked up F1 2016 on sale and tried it out today, promptly leading me to remember that I actually hate F1.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

cowboy elvis posted:

Video games played on plastic controllers.

All video games?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lmao if you don’t have a 360 controller made of tungsten

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
My wheel is hand whittled by artisans using only the finest cedar

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

WTAF! :doh:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Codezombie posted:

WTAF! :doh:
Not acceptable if true.

I mean I'm pretty sure that the dude even putting the model up for sale on turbosquid was breaking some laws. Ferrari owns all rights to any likeness of the F2002 car, so dude has no case at all.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think it was "resolved" by someone from codemasters buying the model off turbosquid and saying "that's the best we can do."

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

What's hilarious is people getting bent and saying dude should demand a % royalty of the profits from F1 2017. Even if codemasters wanted to give him anything they couldn't because the dude has no rights to profit from that model because he never requested permission from Ferrari to make the F2002 model.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

orange juche posted:

What's hilarious is people getting bent and saying dude should demand a % royalty of the profits from F1 2017. Even if codemasters wanted to give him anything they couldn't because the dude has no rights to profit from that model because he never requested permission from Ferrari to make the F2002 model.

Two wrongs don't make a right though. There are a bunch of people in the linked thread, and you sort of sound like you're going the same direction, acting like the fact that the unofficial model isn't licensed somehow makes it OK for Codemasters to "reference". The comparison that overlays the polygons really sells it for me, where so much of the model is literally identical and many of the differences seen are actually because the person doing the comparison has an older version of the guy's model.

Obviously he couldn't actually take this to court in any way, but what's legally right and what's right often aren't the same thing.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Lmao if you don’t have a 360 controller made of tungsten

the A and B buttons on my poor 360 controller are starting to lose their spring, very sad

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

wolrah posted:

Two wrongs don't make a right though. There are a bunch of people in the linked thread, and you sort of sound like you're going the same direction, acting like the fact that the unofficial model isn't licensed somehow makes it OK for Codemasters to "reference". The comparison that overlays the polygons really sells it for me, where so much of the model is literally identical and many of the differences seen are actually because the person doing the comparison has an older version of the guy's model.

Obviously he couldn't actually take this to court in any way, but what's legally right and what's right often aren't the same thing.

The dude was selling it as a royalty free model. Codemasters paid for the model and used it as reference. There is literally no moral quandry here. Dude might even end up getting a job out of it since the message they sent him seemed like they were impressed enough with his ability to get a good model without ever seeing the actual car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

The guy is lucky Ferrari and the FIA doesn't crush him tbh