Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

That wasnt a promise dude jesus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
The dude on the right looks like an owl looking out from a bush

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

SCtrumpHaters posted:

That wasnt a promise dude jesus

Post scrotae taxxe

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Furia posted:

Would it be too gauche to mock outfit choices itt?

What's there to mock? He is clearly a local native German attending the convention wearing his everyday attire.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

SomethingJones posted:

Ming, it was Ming that was coming 10 months ago, that was a typo

this pleases mining

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

https://i.imgur.com/8zVa9iJ.gifv

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Thoatse is a goddamn treasure.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Golli posted:

"Imagine two balls on the edge of a table"

I almost cropped that image and made it his avatar.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Thoatse posted:

this pleases mining

I remember it well, the MERCILESS ship had just gone on sale and they said that Ming would be in the game so everybody could buy it and be Ming. All of them will be in, Flash Gordon, Doctor Who, Buck Rogers, loving George Jetson, they're all in

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

SCtrumpHaters posted:

I don't want anyone and Dereek to get too bent out of shape but there will be swift reprisals for bullshit if it continues to be spread here. If you have criticisms fine, but this fantasyland scam thing is decidedly over.

Holy poo poo is this real life?

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I'm so glad this game will never come out, and even more glad they'll stop giving refunds to the ones that defended them for years before they reveal 'whoops, well our reach exceeded our grasp so we decided to cancel it'

Edit: Because even when they cancel it Roberts will try to make it sound like he was far too ahead of his time and the tech still isn't there and if only he'd spent less time managing eighty studios and more time coding and yadda fuckin' yadda

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Oct 29, 2017

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

That said, I don't see a reason why the city tiles can't be walkable. Will be repetitive as hell, though.

It is a lot easier to tile objects when you don't have to make sure that the edges connect to each other in a logical way. You have to guarantee that the height between edges are suitable for a ramp, such that you can travel between areas without it looking like a hosed up rat maze with many dead ends. Are you going to have NPCs walking around, props like chairs, bins, railings, bits of newspaper flapping about? Are there any interactables and objects that will need to be tracked by the server? What does that do to performance, and how will it affect people in ships.

You would also need to put in a lot of work to get the assets to look good. Once they flew past the buildings surrounding the landing zone, everything looked a lot less detailed. You had the yellowish-white squares for windows, and oddly proportioned textures that would look out of place and blurry close up. Then you start getting into citizen territory with wondering if there will be windows and doors that you can look into, or open and explore.

That isn't to say any of this is impossible, but CIG doesn't have unlimited time and resources. It isn't easy, and if the result is something pointless, repetitive and tedious, then why put significant investment into it? You could argue that coming up with a system to tile buildings in order to create a believable city planet is already well in the realm of pointless extravagances. Putting in an order of magnitude more work to get something that no one will appreciate for longer than ten minutes is an even more pointless extravagance. How many people said they enjoyed scouring an entire planet in No Mans Sky in the hopes of finding an easter egg, or something cool??? Exactly.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Had anyone found MoMA's body yet? This thread needs a new month for it's wall.

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

McGiggins posted:

Had anyone found MoMA's body yet? This thread needs a new month for it's wall.

MoMA's on a multi-day bender celebrating the most boring game presentation in the history of game presentations. He's storing up crates full of :smuggo: to unleash on the thread when he makes his triumphant return.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

SomethingJones posted:

I remember it well, the MERCILESS ship had just gone on sale and they said that Ming would be in the game so everybody could buy it and be Ming. All of them will be in, Flash Gordon, Doctor Who, Buck Rogers, loving George Jetson, they're all in

I'm playing as VOLTAN then. Can't wait to scream "STAND BY, MY HAWKMEN!" over voice chat and then deafen everyone with Vultan's Theme and Battle Theme from the Flash Gordon soundtrack.

Oh well, who wants to live forever? Hahahahahaha! DIIIIIIIVE!

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008

SCtrumpHaters posted:

So I've been a long time lurker but had to grit my teeth and pay up just to explain....well gloat on all you clowns,

Like how does it taste? The biggest event of the year where you guys were sourly clenching your fingers in anticipation of mocking something better than yourselves.

But Chris delivered. Showing Dereek Farts and you idiots what is possible in gaming.

You guys are pretty much silent, trying anything in your power to smear this accomplishment and its ugly. You have nothing solid to point at and say this is bad. Its all supposition and honestly, lies.

See you in the loving Verse friends.

Wonder how long until this one is banned for being permabanned user Clemens?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Spiderdrake posted:

Thoatse is a goddamn treasure.

Debatable, but so long as I don't get buried

https://i.imgur.com/rWrPWLL.gifv

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

Chiwie posted:

Holy poo poo is this real life?
No, just permabanned ball-poster Clemens again.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

This is a proud mane, a boastful mane

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

SCtrumpHaters posted:

Honestly I know we are all jaded here but you'd have to be made out of stone to not be affected by the scale of what was shown there. I know I know, its not "in game". But thats just you again moving the goalposts. For years it was "impossible." Well they've done it.

Dude, they did it back in 1982
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaR5wVL9x2I

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
The idea that their cobbled together bullshit maps are going to make any sense is nuts. How are you going to have NPCs moving through it in any sort of natural looking way? How do you stop completely illogical combinations of building types and store fronts being right next to each other?
Infinite permutations of something with such a giant pile of dependencies and that needs to fulfill a subconscious human critique for logic and sensibility is actually just infinite permutations of loving up.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Daztek posted:

oh derek

falling for the gimmick is now the gimmick

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

But don't insinuate that ships will be too cheap and easy to earn, or that 'rare' ships are going to be anything but extremely hard to find. I wonder why one of the saltiest backers is getting mad about claims that the game is pay to win if it obviously isn't 🤔

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Daztek posted:

how does this keep happening

I blame long-term exposure to milquetoasts like MoMa. What we really crave is full-blown glorious stupidity. And along comes someone to get us there.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

This is a proud mane, a boastful mane

It's the way the one guy with just a tuft of spiked hair on the top of his bald head that refuses to shave it probably sees himself in the mirror

I wish that guy knew how silly that looks because apparently nobody is telling him and I just feel bad for him

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Mr. Carlisle posted:

It's the way the one guy with just a tuft of spiked hair on the top of his bald head that refuses to shave it probably sees himself in the mirror

I wish that guy knew how silly that looks because apparently nobody is telling him and I just feel bad for him

I think it's the first time I have seen a really good real life version of John from Garfield's hair and for that I salute him o7//

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017
Wolfenstein II is pretty drat good. Impressed by the fidelity, and performance on my laptops 1060. When can we see this with SC?

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Jon Arbuckle telling Garfield about his latest Star Citizen pledge would probably hit a little too close to home for some.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Warhawk109 posted:

Wolfenstein II is pretty drat good. Impressed by the fidelity, and performance on my laptops 1060. When can we see this with SC?

The new Doom is good too, but as with most games I died at one point and never loaded it up again

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
/r/StarCitizen: Sean Tracy on building interiors

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Dusty Lens posted:

Jon Arbuckle telling Garfield about his latest Star Citizen pledge would probably hit a little too close to home for some.

Jon - "I'm gunna have to cook lasagne for an entire development team now!"
Garfield - "Keep doing what you're doing."

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Sean "Criminal" Tracy eh? Think you've got the order wrong there mate.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Solarin posted:

falling for the gimmick is now the gimmick

:lol: that egg I thought I had on my face earlier turned out to be the :smuggo: of a guy staying atop the thread trends.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Mr.Tophat posted:

Jon - "I'm gunna have to cook lasagne for an entire development team now!"
Garfield - "Keep doing what you're doing."

You could probably just paste a fan quote into pretty much any page of garfield minus garfield and call it a day.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

G0RF posted:

:lol: that egg I thought I had on my face earlier turned out to be the :smuggo: of a guy staying atop the thread trends.

Surprised Lazrin hasn’t stopped by.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

vyst posted:

Chris Roberts is basically the Donald Trump of gaming.

piss tape AMD letter is real

CROB!

*click*

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Dusty Lens posted:

You could probably just paste a fan quote into pretty much any page of garfield minus garfield and call it a day.

Editor note - In the dream business, this is known as refactoring!

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

blueberrysmith posted:

C U in the verse commando

brandon stark?

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Abuminable posted:

MoMA's on a multi-day bender celebrating the most boring game presentation in the history of game presentations. He's storing up crates full of :smuggo: to unleash on the thread when he makes his triumphant return.

The saddest thing is that you're probably exactly right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

snore citizen