Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sephyr posted:

I've been a distant fan of L5R for ages, reading up on the lore but never really having a chance to play. Now I finally found a table and I have zero idea on how to make a workable character. I was thinking of making a vaguely monk-ish, sleepy kakita duelist and I need to have it ready by tomorrow.

Any quick hints on what to pick/avoid? Not looking for any broken combos (But if you wanna share... *cough*), just not really eager to suck at what I should be good at.

Which edition? 4e? The 5e beta? One of the older things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

Which edition? 4e? The 5e beta? One of the older things?

5e beta. Because they don't yet have Daidoji Bodyguards, which I find really cool. :(

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Sephyr posted:

5e beta. Because they don't yet have Daidoji Bodyguards, which I find really cool. :(

Take a Kakita Bushi, raise earth, and grab the earth shuji that lets you spend opportunities to mark an enemy in court or battle, making everyone that isn't you harder to hit. At that point all you lack is the actual school name, since a real daidoji should be a decent duelist anyway.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Is there a good card database/deck builder online?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Office Sheep posted:

I feel like the stand out is Yurt. Flexibility, deck thinning dishonor protection, potential honor strategies. It is boringly good.

No doubt, definitely quite good, particularly for Unicorn.

StashAugustine posted:

Is there a good card database/deck builder online?
https://fiveringsdb.com/#/

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Oct 29, 2017

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Ok, ran a quick intro with the DM to get the hang of things and...yeah, seems reallyfun. I hope they release more stuff soon, as right now it seems limited in options. No Asahina, no Scorpion bushi, etc.

Also, holy crap does Strife pile up fast. Assessing before a duel? Strife. Fighting the duel? Strife. Dropping a zen one-liner after the duel? Strife. Doing a relaxing tea ceremony with my aunt to unwind after all the stress?

Strife.

Now I know why opium is all the rage.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I really want to make Unicorn work, but I think I am being too cute with them. Charging a big dude in and using Good Omen to give him a fate is pretty cool, but it seems to be thinning my hand to much. I thought the fate economy gains were worth the cards, but after playing games against good Scorpion and Dragon decks I don't think it is.

I have tried pairing with Crane for better political stats (Height of Fashion, Political Rival) and with Lion for some tricks (Ready for Battle, For Greater Glory), but I still get 'out-tricked'. I know that Unicorn are seen as the underdog at the moment, but they are really good fun to play. Has anyone found any other good pairings?

Phrosphor fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Oct 30, 2017

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007

Phrosphor posted:

I really want to make unicorn work, but I think I am being too cute with them. Charging a big dude in and using Good Omen to give him a fate is pretty cool, but it seems to be thinning my hand to much. I thought the fate economy gains were worth the cards, but after playing games against good Scorpion and dragon decks I don't think it is.

I have tried pairing with Crane for better political stats (Height of Fashion, Political Rival) and with Lion for some tricks (Ready for Battle, For Greater Glory), but I still get 'out-tricked'. I know that Unicorn are seen as the underdog at the moment, but they are really good fun to play. Has anyone found any other good pairings?

If you want a silly combo watch commander and a favored mount on an ide trader. You rarely get all the pieces without getting let go but it's a funny monstrosity when it works.

I currently splash scorpion. I'm currently 15-1 with some variation of this.

https://fiveringsdb.com/strains/9fb6c46f-ab94-11e7-8e3c-8e1ccf16fca4/view

Forged edit is mostly cancel cancels but in other matchups it is still high value. The Yojimbos are there to smooth out flip problems because of the 6 holdings and 3 Keeper Initiates. It runs enough courtiers to run for shame. There is a controversial amount of Bonzais.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Office Sheep posted:

If you want a silly combo watch commander and a favored mount on an ide trader. You rarely get all the pieces without getting let go but it's a funny monstrosity when it works.

I currently splash scorpion. I'm currently 15-1 with some variation of this.

https://fiveringsdb.com/strains/9fb6c46f-ab94-11e7-8e3c-8e1ccf16fca4/view

Forged edit is mostly cancel cancels but in other matchups it is still high value. The Yojimbos are there to smooth out flip problems because of the 6 holdings and 3 Keeper Initiates. It runs enough courtiers to run for shame. There is a controversial amount of Bonzais.

I gave this a try and in 2 out of 3 games I never had a courtier to play half the cards :( Maybe I am just unlucky. I am going to try some Crab games. I definitely don't want to play Scorpion.

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007

Phrosphor posted:

I gave this a try and in 2 out of 3 games I never had a courtier to play half the cards :( Maybe I am just unlucky. I am going to try some Crab games. I definitely don't want to play Scorpion.

Weird.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Playing more games, I think it is just that I am very bad!

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
I'm 0-2 at world's. LOL I'm so bad this game.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
For every winner there has to be a loser. Just think: you're making somebody else's day whenever you lose! :)

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Dick Burglar posted:

For every winner there has to be a loser. Just think: you're making somebody else's day whenever you lose! :)

LMAO true! I'm having a blast though. This game is so fun and everyone has been extremely cool and well mannered.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I picked up a second core and I'm digging Crab. One question though, what's a good sleeve to color-coordinate for Crab?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Somberbrero posted:

I picked up a second core and I'm digging Crab. One question though, what's a good sleeve to color-coordinate for Crab?

Blue and silver/gunmetal grey at my go-tos. Blue and red if I'm feeling fancy.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
I'm watching the l5R worlds on Twitch.

That feeling when you Way of the Crab a clan champ.

https://clips.twitch.tv/PlumpRenownedHamPicoMause

Edit: And someone's coming up with a replacement for Sun and Moon for the LCG (Sun and Moon was the online client that let you play L5R online after untap stopped being as useful)

https://github.com/gryffon/ringteki

SirFozzie fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Nov 2, 2017

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

SirFozzie posted:

Edit: And someone's coming up with a replacement for Sun and Moon for the LCG (Sun and Moon was the online client that let you play L5R online after untap stopped being as useful)

There's one out already called Jigoku, no idea if it's good or not.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

SirFozzie posted:

LOL I got my champ blown up by Way of the Crab and I WAS PLAYING CRAB. Did I mention I'm bad at this game? That game ended hilariously, though. I was down to 1 honor, and he way of the crab'd me so that we were each down to 1 dude, he had Intimidating Hida (lose 1 honor if you passed a conflict declaration) and I had a tricked out dude with a bunch of force. So he was like "well, that's game." I was like nuh uh, let's play this out, friend. For some reason he didn't notice/forgot that I had flipped 2(!) favorable grounds. So, I attacked and he declined to defend, thinking he could either get me with unopposed attacker honor loss or the Hida. I sacked a favorable ground and moved my guy home. "Oh, I see..." haha yeah. He attacked and didn't have enough force to break me, I blew up the other favorable ground, and then turned around on my second attack and blew up his stronghold. He was a little tilted but did a good job of recollecting himself, I guess. Firm handshakes and GGs.

Also,

https://mahois.fun/

Ringteki/Jigoku is where I did all my practice for worlds. It has a couple glitches here and there but is actually pretty solid and unlike TTS or VASSAL it actually has all the game mechanics and card interactions programmed into it.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Also, there was something like 22% Phoenix players at Day 1Z. :aaa:

edit:

anecdote: I switched from Phoenix to Crab for Worlds lol

Finster Dexter fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Nov 2, 2017

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Finster Dexter posted:

https://mahois.fun/

Ringteki/Jigoku is where I did all my practice for worlds. It has a couple glitches here and there but is actually pretty solid and unlike TTS or VASSAL it actually has all the game mechanics and card interactions programmed into it.

thirding, this is a good client, has all the card interactions etc. If your used to Jinteki Online then its super easy to get going with.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Finster Dexter posted:

Also, there was something like 22% Phoenix players at Day 1Z. :aaa:

edit:

anecdote: I switched from Phoenix to Crab for Worlds lol

crying a single tear over Unicorn

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Today's stream was on Kolat Informat (day 1A)

edit: https://go.twitch.tv/videos/187046330

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.
Any LCG players know of a good group in the NYC area?

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
This might be a little TOO Northeast for you, but there's a FB group I'm involved with called "Northeast L5R" It may help:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/216348515051841/

EnjoiThePureTrip
Apr 16, 2011

Crane vs. Lion final battle!

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

EnjoiThePureTrip posted:

Crane vs. Lion final battle!

it's really great, i can't even be mad.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
This game has been fantastic. Crane shot up two provinces and control early on, but spent too much honor early on and Lion's switched clean to a slow and dirty control playstyle and has clawed his way back into the game.

Good stuff.

e: He just pulled in four characters from his provinces. He's got two ways of the lion and an assassination in his hand and has been starving Crane of conflict cards. I think he's got this.

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Nov 5, 2017

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I want Lion to win, but he needs to stop sticking out his goddamn hand like it's time for his opponent to concede.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Yeah, dude's playing a great game and being a huge tool.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Apparently that's how he was pointing at things.

Weird.

But Lion wins. Boo hiss :(

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
All your decks are illegal, time to rebuild everything.

Lion - Keeper of Fire
Crane - Seeker of Air
Dragon - Seeker of Fire
Scorpion - Seeker of Void
Phoenix -Keeper of Water
Crab - Keeper of Earth
Unicorn - Keeper of Wind

e: Are you kidding me, Seeker of Void? Why? This is a serious question I am seriously asking.

e2: Scuttlebutt from people talking to the guy who chose for scorpions (and a facebook post?) is that he did some playtesting and decided that if scorpion got a keeper role they'd be too strong and ruin the game. Hooray! My clan champion is holding us back! I wonder if any of the clans who did better in the tournament are being careful not to pick a good role.

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Nov 5, 2017

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

That list is order of selection, too.

I wonder if these choices are based on spoiled seeker/keeper only cards?

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Mystic Mongol posted:

slow and dirty control playstyle

You got that right. Obvious stalls all over the place when he gets ahead a little bit. Just like Crane players in Old5R.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Finster Dexter posted:

That list is order of selection, too.

I wonder if these choices are based on spoiled seeker/keeper only cards?

Explicitly the scorpion player chose a seeker role so to keep scorpion from getting Disdainful Remark and Backhanded Compliment, because he thinks dishonor decks would ruin the game for everyone else. Apparently there will be some hard to break void provinces coming out in the near future, including one that's political and military at the same time? Making Sinister Soshi and that burning poison card and other debuffs much stronger, because they hit twice. But even so, that means extra provinces it's safe to attack without accruing penalties, and all the seeker cards they've revealed are kind of mediocre for scorpion.

Phoenix is a keeper and Backhanded Compliment is dirt cheap, so I guess I'm a fire chicken now. Phoenix is probably better at dishonor play out of the box anyway, but losing that dragon splash is a downer. Mirumoto's Fury was just SO GOOD.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Mystic Mongol posted:

All your decks are illegal, time to rebuild everything.

Lion - Keeper of Fire
Crane - Seeker of Air
Dragon - Seeker of Fire
Scorpion - Seeker of Void
Phoenix -Keeper of Water
Crab - Keeper of Earth
Unicorn - Keeper of Wind

e: Are you kidding me, Seeker of Void? Why? This is a serious question I am seriously asking.

e2: Scuttlebutt from people talking to the guy who chose for scorpions (and a facebook post?) is that he did some playtesting and decided that if scorpion got a keeper role they'd be too strong and ruin the game. Hooray! My clan champion is holding us back! I wonder if any of the clans who did better in the tournament are being careful not to pick a good role.

Mark is an excellent player and an all round excellent guy so I respect his decision entirely. Backhand Compliment would have just caused some NPE problems which no one wants. You can complain hes held you back and theres nothing stopping you playing Keeper of Void in casuals just to see how bad it is if you like.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I am just glad that new L5R card game is starting the right way, with Lion getting their well deserved victory over the other (lesser) clans.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Aramoro posted:

Mark is an excellent player and an all round excellent guy so I respect his decision entirely. Backhand Compliment would have just caused some NPE problems which no one wants. You can complain hes held you back and theres nothing stopping you playing Keeper of Void in casuals just to see how bad it is if you like.

Do any of the other clans have an excellent player and all around good guy making decisions for them?

Also what's an NPE

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

Aramoro posted:

There is a bit of intrigue involved in the pick for Scorpion role, but I’ll say this. Jon Butler advised Mark Armitage to pick Seeker of Void for the Scorpion and Jon is one of the best deck builders I’ve ever met. If you think a murderers row of Pilgrimage, Shameful Display and Secret Cache in your provinces is a bad thing, I’d give it a second round of consideration.

While a keeper role for Scorpion gave them a good obvious dishonour bomb, they’ll probably get good value out of Seeker of Void.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jadarx
May 25, 2012

Mystic Mongol posted:

Do any of the other clans have an excellent player and all around good guy making decisions for them?

Also what's an NPE

Negative Play Experience.