Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!

Novum posted:

I won't be hugging you

DOOM = LOVE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Message me if you're around. A few of us are staying at that home2suites

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Might see Bell Witch and Primitive Man tonight

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Probably going to the Primitive Man/Bell Witch show next Sunday in Somerville. Pretty good lineup for that one, with Upheaval and Churchburn opening. I think they're also playing Portland that Friday night, so I might be seeing them twice, though I'm not as into the opener that night as I am for the Sunday show.

Really wish I could've made it to Days of Darkness. That's a heck of bill. Have fun, ya nerds!

And in case anyone hasn't listened to it, the Primitive Man is dirty, dark, and crushing as you'd expect.
https://primitivemandoom.bandcamp.com/album/caustic

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
That will be a good show. I'd be there if not for Days

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
I just saw that Jon Rossi from Pilgrim died. He was only 26. What a bummer.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
That sucks, he just played with obsessed a couple days ago.

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

Well well well, this looks to be one disturbingly erotic post

Detective Thompson posted:

I just saw that Jon Rossi from Pilgrim died. He was only 26. What a bummer.

Oh dammit that's such a shame. Going to have to jam those records tonight.

... wait, he was only 26?!?

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

flirty dental hygienist posted:

If this is the same guy I think I hugged, or at least patted on the arm, at the Melvins show in Tampa, he seems like a cool dude and I would've drank many beers with him.

You're the dude that caught Steven's pick, right? That was an awesome show and thanks for the ringing endorsement, next time I catch you at a show I'll get you a beer.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!

Shakenbaker posted:

You're the dude that caught Steven's pick, right? That was an awesome show and thanks for the ringing endorsement, next time I catch you at a show I'll get you a beer.

Awesome, thanks man! Yeah, I caught Steven's pick. What a night that was. Not sure who's coming to the Tampa area next, I'm hoping for some good shows next year.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
If I weren't otherwise busy I'd for sure be at that Holly Hunt show at Planet Retro tonight. I actually got a little let down when I saw the date and realized I'd be out of town for it.

Clutch in December with Devin Townsend and THE OBSESSED at Janus will be a good one for sure. Then Gwar like four days later :getin:

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Welp, Blood Mist rules

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Novum posted:

Welp, Blood Mist rules

Yep. Also anyone who wasn't wearing earplugs during Acid King probably just hosed up their hearing for life. they were real good and real loud

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I had to put in earplugs for slough feg and not acid king

yoober
Nov 21, 2010

slough feg has like 100% more guitars
earplugs are good, regards tinnitus haver

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Slough feg was so bad it was surreal and wrapped around back to entertaining

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Novum posted:

I had to put in earplugs for slough feg and not acid king

Lol because you can hear when the damage really starts

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Mike's live vocals are not at all what I expected but I still thought they were pretty good. I kinda loved Mike going ham with the big rockstar moves because why not?

Acid King's constant roar of heavy riffs was pretty fuckin' sweet, they rule hard.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Alms was cool, Crypt Sermon was great, kind of skipped a bunch of electronic stuff. Elder was great too.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Is Crypt Sermon playing new stuff? I've been waiting patiently for a second album

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
They played two new songs

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Novum posted:

Slough feg was so bad it was surreal and wrapped around back to entertaining

They’re bad live? That blows.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Kilometers Davis posted:

They’re bad live? That blows.

Very sloppy, several technical difficulties

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Novum posted:

Alms was cool, Crypt Sermon was great, kind of skipped a bunch of electronic stuff. Elder was great too.

If you skipped Perturbator you messed up, it was real fun

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Nah, stuck around all night by that point. A bunch of the acts are playing near me soon so I'll be able to catch Dance with the Dead and Gost back home.

Dick Boat
Jul 3, 2009

Pulse Demon

Elder was great. Dance with the Dead really surprised me, they were pretty amazing. Perturbator was pretty fun too, but my sensitive goon eyes were hurting from the lights.

Stoked for Cirith Ungol, Bongripper, Boris, and Om tonight.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Which was the best of the electronic acts? Did any of them really perform live or were they mixing off laptops?

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Dance with Dead had some guitars and were good.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
*Warning just finishes playing*

CIIIRIITH UNNNNNNGOOOOOOL

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Fun weekend. Hopefully this catches on because commuting out of mdf on memorial day sucks fat dick

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Random DoD thoughts:

-Best surprise: Ruby the Hatchet hauls a lot of rear end, and they also haul around an organ and a leslie.

-Biggest letdown: Captain Beyond. Shoutout to all the old jazz fusion dudes who paid 50 bucks just to see them.

-Boris is of course the greatest.

-I also went to Edgar Allan Poe's grave, in a cool churchyard cemetery that I'm sure all the undercard bands took photos in.

-The festival lives up to its name, as opposed to MDF, where you are watching shows and cranking beers for 6 hours and then you look out the window and the sun is still up.

-A huge outdoor Halloween dance party was right outside the venue Saturday night, which led to hilarious collision of worlds, costumes versus costumes. A lot of the smoke break metalheads were annoyed but we thought it ruled.

-Eating a lovely pub salad at 8 last night probably saved my life. I feel shockingly decent today.

-Shakenbaker is a cool dude; Novum ya shoulda tracked us down.

Also DC people: Boris is playing a 20 dollar show at the RnR Hotel Friday. What the poo poo!!

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I'll get you guys next time. Boris was maybe the loudest band I've seen in a long time. Baltimore has a cool aquarium. Halloween bimbos and metalheads culture mosh was funny but the DoD guys said they will do a different weekend next time. Warning is amazing and I'll be seeing them with Morne on Halloween. Namaste and hail satan and all that.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I'm stoked for Elder this Friday, been wanting to see them for a while.

Oh snap, Fu Manchu/Truckfighters/Earthless is next week. I gotta get a ticket.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I thought Elder was done after the RI show

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Ingmar terdman posted:

-Eating a lovely pub salad at 8 last night probably saved my life. I feel shockingly decent today.

They just had to make you wait for it so you could appreciate it properly. Also are you going to hit that Boris show? You know it'll be sweet as hell.

Thanks for hanging out man, it was an awesome time and I really think I have to come back up for more shows. I will for sure wear actual shoes next time because boots on concrete for 12 hours was for suckers.

To chime in about acts I haven't seen mentioned in the thread:

Asthma Castle loving ripped so hard and their singer may have been the most coked up dude in the entire city. Killer way to start of the last day.

Night Demon were pretty fun and they had a guy dressed as a skeleton in a cloak with a chalice he was offering to people. More bands need random-rear end mascots on stage with them, for realz.

I thought Heavy Temple were great at the pre-fest especially since they were day-of replacement for Inter Arma. Those girls are pretty loving solid.

Cirith Ungol are really great and Tim Baker still sounds like you want him to sound. Bonus: it turns out that the dude that yelled right after Warning was right next to some of my friends at the front.

I did have really cool luck flying out because it turns out Al was going through security right ahead of me. I got to chat with him a little bit and you will all be shocked to know that he's very chill and super nice.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Shakenbaker posted:

They just had to make you wait for it so you could appreciate it properly. Also are you going to hit that Boris show? You know it'll be sweet as hell.

Of course, I haven't seen them since Sunday.

edit: maybe a bit of a stretch, but question for you and I suppose the whole thread. During Warning's set, the frontman mentioned that a particular dude/artist from the Baltimore area was a huge influence on him and I guess the sound of the band. Anyone have a guess as to who that may be? I was going to look it up then but I couldn't make out the name, and now I can't remember.

edit: John Brenner/Revelation perhaps?

Ingmar terdman fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Oct 31, 2017

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Yeah that was the guy

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Ingmar terdman posted:

Random DoD thoughts:

-Biggest letdown: Captain Beyond. Shoutout to all the old jazz fusion dudes who paid 50 bucks just to see them.
yea seemed like they spent more time talking than playing.

quote:

-A huge outdoor Halloween dance party was right outside the venue Saturday night, which led to hilarious collision of worlds, costumes versus costumes. A lot of the smoke break metalheads were annoyed but we thought it ruled.
haha yeah me and my friend walked out and into it and thought it was just too drat loud and crowded to stand right out there, so back to the beer garden we went for a while.. which is where we took nearly all of our breaks in between. It was weird seeing the Rams head area so empty on Friday night compared to what it was like during MDF, and then the madness of Saturday, and then back to empty on Sunday. The festival seemed to almost be a disappointment with attendance at times, perhaps a different weekend for next year... and a headliner like Electric Wizard or something would help bring more people.

Shakenbaker posted:

Asthma Castle loving ripped so hard and their singer may have been the most coked up dude in the entire city. Killer way to start of the last day.
I missed Asthma Castle and Alms because we were too drat lazy getting out of bed for the very first band of the day, whoops

No one wants to mention how much Bongripper owned? Because that was a truly awesome set. Lol'ed at the dude who yelled "Play the slow one about weed!" right before they started

Elder was very fun and cool, and Boris was something else man.. what an experience. I got a cool Warning tour poster too that I'll take a pic of & update here later. I'll have to make an effort for MDF to meet you people, I had plenty of :420: to share. Rams Head area / security is the most chill

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Varg posted:

No one wants to mention how much Bongripper owned? Because that was a truly awesome set. Lol'ed at the dude who yelled "Play the slow one about weed!" right before they started

Elder was very fun and cool, and Boris was something else man.. what an experience. I got a cool Warning tour poster too that I'll take a pic of & update here later. I'll have to make an effort for MDF to meet you people, I had plenty of :420: to share. Rams Head area / security is the most chill

You weren't the one of the dudes lighting up at the backside of the pit during Bongripper, were you? I was cracking up at but also impressed by them. Just felt like the most precarious place they could possibly decide to light their joints.

And Bongripper totally rules, yeah. Something about the fact that they don't even bother with setting up mics makes them seem that much more impressive to me because even most of the instrumental acts I've seen at least have one to say "hi we're ____." Bongripper just goes off like a doom metal Sloshy though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Bongripper is my favourite thing in the universe and I wish theyd come to Australia