Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

oddium posted:

ac origins may be bad like every ac game except maybe brotherhood but at least it has Most Fun Building Climbing going for it

[puts finger to ear]

hold on... breaking... just in...... New Donk City is reportedly extremely win, and epic

i think it's good. what's wrong with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
That's a good write-up, corn. Looking forward to starting it up!!

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

My problem is it's not on sale yet and I still haven't beaten AC:Syndicate.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

I think the problem might be he's a bad poster

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

The map is divided up into zones and it can be pretty silly in places, like you may cross the river and on the other side are a bunch of invincible hippos that you cannot hope to fight, but it works well enough.
Hey can't fault them for being realistic.

Never gently caress with hippos.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
the only mainline AC game that's outright bad is the first Watch_Dogs. even 3 and Unity, the worst of the rest, aren't "bad games" they're just boring.

if you don't like the entire kind of game they are and dislike all of them, it's not really a hot take to say the new one is bad. the question is, is it good for people who have, on balance, enjoyed the games thus far

like i'm not gonna ask someone who hates Final Fantasy whether FF15 is good or not and i'm also not really gonna give any weight to someone who says "yeah the new final fantasy sucks like every final fantasy"

:shrug:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i went ahead and got Origins because my anniversary is Tuesday and my wife likes AC even more than i do. no that's not the only thing i got her lol

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Accordion Man posted:

Hey can't fault them for being realistic.

Never gently caress with hippos.

They say there are poachers that hunt them with old soviet rocket launchers, cause that's what you need basically to take one out.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

It is really, really good. Assassin's Creed has always felt like a series stuck in the 2000s, but they finally decided to modernize things and adapt stuff from other games -- most notably, The Witcher 3.

They moved away from the aging GTA-style "go to a big letter on the map where one of the quest NPCs is" to having lots of smaller sidequests scattered around the world, which helps both to make the world seem bigger and worth exploring, and to give you a reason to go check out bases or tombs rather than simply because there's a map icon there and you need to do X icons for the plot to progress. You gotta get that guy's horse back! Some of the sidequests are bigger than others, or may lead into different ones, and of course there's a main storyline as well.

The fabled Ubisoft Towers are still present and you can climb them if you want, but they just unlock new places to fast travel to. Revealing stuff on the map is done by actually going to see what's there. This is the one on the Pharos Lighthouse:

The map is divided up into zones and it can be pretty silly in places, like you may cross the river and on the other side are a bunch of invincible hippos that you cannot hope to fight, but it works well enough. Basically, the whole thing feels more like an action rpg (albeit one without dialog options) than previous games have, for better or worse. Plus the protagonist is pretty great, though he's clearly yet another example of them trying to be like the witcher. Dude is uninterested in political intrigue and poo poo, he just wants to murder people for revenge and gets involved in global events mostly because of being so drat good at it.

I am glad that it looks like your new PC is chugging along well

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

So what’s GotM?

Other than the here that came out in the past few days, what other major releases have there been? I can’t remember

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Dragon's Dogma came out this month so

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jay Rust posted:

So what’s GotM?

Doki Doki Literature Club

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jay Rust posted:

So what’s GotM?

Other than the here that came out in the past few days, what other major releases have there been? I can’t remember

South Park 2, Life is Strange episode 2

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

So what’s GotM?

Destiny 2 (Windows)

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I haven't played the new zachtronics game yet but probably that one

al-azad
May 28, 2009

note to self, steal mario odyssey's method of displaying a map slash disney world brochure if you ever make a game

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Mario used to be a plumber.

Peach's net worth must be pretty high in order to build giant statues of herself

The toads have some kind of fanatical devotion to her, they'll do anything for their princess.

Plus when you can find a million coins in an evening stroll you're always loaded.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

Jay Rust posted:

So what’s GotM?

Evil Within 2 was really drat good but I don't see it holding a candle to Wolfenstein and Mario.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I"m having way too much fun with Mario Odyssey. So good :allears:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I'm glad three very different games came out yesterday and all were good! Enjoy videogames!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i hate old egypt and deserts and stuff

glam rock hamhock posted:

I think the problem might be he's a bad poster

where to begin, with this one...........

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Isnt there a desert in Super Mario Odyssey

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

I'm glad three very different games came out yesterday and all were good! Enjoy videogames!

Oh yeah? Well gently caress YOU :colbert:

nah I'm just kidding, enjoy video games too buddy :)

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

yeah and it's my least favorite so far !! but for different reasons

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

actually my least favorite is maybe the planet wisp level

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the level that most feels like a banjo kazooie game, is woods kingdom

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

homeless snail posted:

Oh so it's the worst level? :smug:

- someone, probably

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the hat town music seemed kinda kirkhope-y

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

in a lot of ways mario odyssey is the best game rareware never made

al-azad
May 28, 2009

homeless snail posted:

Nah, that's Testosterosawhatever. It's so big there's a sweet rock cat you can ride on and a gliding creature thing to reach platforms.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

nah, the bird is straight out of mario 64

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

homeless snail posted:

in a lot of ways mario odyssey is the best game rareware never made

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

hooray

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The only problem with super Mario Odyssey is that there's too much of it

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
aria of sorrow was pretty sick. cotm was too uneven and frustrating, and hod was way too bland and annoyingly designed, but i can totally see revisiting aria at some point. hell it even had a pretty tough last boss without getting to the point of making me want to die

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I loving love Aria of Sorrow. You planning on going through the rest of the 2D CVS? Because order of ecclesia might be the best 2D Action game ever

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

In Training posted:

I loving love Aria of Sorrow. You planning on going through the rest of the 2D CVS? Because order of ecclesia might be the best 2D Action game ever

not right now because i've spent precisely 2/4 of the month on castlevania and 1/4 on silent hill but i'll totally play the ds games at some point

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I was lukewarm on Ecclesia but the wall boss is the best video game boss.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

In Training posted:

Ecclesia is a great 2D action game (though I wish the weapons had a bit more variety) but not a great Castlevania in the vein of sotn or aria.

Albus mode is also totally busted.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Did the spirit of Videogames possess you? :ohdear:

Also people who join urgent hunts and then abandon and ditch the hub after quest gets underway are the Worst Halloween Trick. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I don't mean it in a bad way, its good actually, just like, Banjo and DK64 pick up where Mario 64 left off and because they weren't first gen 64 games or carving out a whole new genre of game in whole cloth, they could get a lot more sophisticated with the design. Compare the design of Mario 64 stars to banjo jiggies for one thing, there's some overlap but the objectives to get them are pretty different, Mario 64 tends to be more about mechanical mastery and exploring and getting a really solid understanding of the levels, and banjo has more of an adventurey feel talking to NPCs and doing very specific things for them etc (and yeah Mario 64 had a few stars like that too, like the penguin mom star, but it always felt to me that rare looked at that stuff that was a fairly small part of Mario and built a whole game around it). Mario Odyssey has over 69 million moons with really diverse conditions so of course some of them you're gonna look at and its like "oh yeah this is Mario 64 as gently caress" or "sick its a Galaxy 2 green star" and others it feels like you walked into a Rareware game. Another thing I think about is the huge weird moveset that the Rareware games had and the progression of movement abilities you unlock over time and then I pop open the capture ability menu in odyssey and its like ah I'm home, if you told me that the caterpillar dude from the swamps was a mumbo jumbo transformation from Banjo I would believe you

But what I'm really saying is that Nintendo hasn't made a game like this since 2002 and it feels like a game with 20 years distance from Mario 64, the way Banjo-Kazooie felt like a game with 2 years distance from Mario 64, and also probably a game made by people that grew up playing Nintendo 64 platformers. And that's my thesis on why Super Mario Odyssey is Banjo-Kazooie 4.

• Locked thread