Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
In TCM we learn Outlanders evolved from amphibians, hot water is not good for their healthy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Your coworker was just impressed by the suit

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I was at a doctor's office waiting for the doctor to get back from lunch, when I heard screaming outside. I saw people running, and I went outside to see what was going on. Turned out a box truck had run over a little boy, maybe 6 or 7. He was the one screaming, and his grandmother. His foot was mangled. It was split open and bleeding, and already blue and swollen on one side. The doctor saw him before he was driven off to a hospital, she said he'll probably recover but his foot will never be the same. Pretty much what I figured looking at it. I took a little video of the crowd afterward, thinking maybe they'd try to do something to the driver. He didn't try to run off or anything, but I think he has a pretty clear idea now how hosed he is. Lucky he only got the kid's foot, I think and not his whole leg, or worse.

I'm guessing the dude was on his phone.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

VideoTapir posted:

I was at a doctor's office waiting for the doctor to get back from lunch, when I heard screaming outside. I saw people running, and I went outside to see what was going on. Turned out a box truck had run over a little boy, maybe 6 or 7. He was the one screaming, and his grandmother. His foot was mangled. It was split open and bleeding, and already blue and swollen on one side. The doctor saw him before he was driven off to a hospital, she said he'll probably recover but his foot will never be the same. Pretty much what I figured looking at it. I took a little video of the crowd afterward, thinking maybe they'd try to do something to the driver. He didn't try to run off or anything, but I think he has a pretty clear idea now how hosed he is. Lucky he only got the kid's foot, I think and not his whole leg, or worse.

I'm guessing the dude was on his phone.

i gotta know, what are the actual statistics for auto accidents in china. goons here saying you can't drive in china or look at traffic without seeing a accident ever so often.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Fututor Magnus posted:

i gotta know, what are the actual statistics for auto accidents in china. goons here saying you can't drive in china or look at traffic without seeing a accident ever so often.

I don't think there are actual statistic for accidents in China and if the party does have them it doesn't share them.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
In this town, people drive in parking lots and apartment driveways (this lane was basically a driveway, with storefronts opening directly onto it, no sidewalk) like they're driving on the goddamn street. Huzhou has easily the worst, most gently caress-you drivers I've seen in China. I've yelled at quite a few people over it.

One of the jobs I held in my interlude in the US was driving instructor. Then I come back to this poo poo.

Anyhow, the party isn't going to do anything that might discourage people from driving because that would threaten one of the big forms of domestic consumption. I recall reading that in 2009 riding in a car in China was as dangerous as riding a motorcycle in the US.

blackbox
Aug 7, 2006
I must have been lucky then. When I worked in China I used to drive and I did see a number of accidents (though maybe only double than I'd expect in the UK) but never anything horrific or involving a pedestrian. Maybe different cities have different driving standards?

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

blackbox posted:

I must have been lucky then. When I worked in China I used to drive and I did see a number of accidents (though maybe only double than I'd expect in the UK) but never anything horrific or involving a pedestrian. Maybe different cities have different driving standards?

I went there in 2007 and in two weeks in Beijing saw three accidents - two with cars/scooters and one with two cars.

Plus, I was in a bus when I heard an amazing explosion, heard some tremendous crushing noises, and saw a huge cloud of smoke. It turns out a construction company dynamited some bedrock in a construction site, and debris and smoke was just pouring over the fence around the property (which was barely 8' high). Dust was everywhere. I'm surprised no windows broke.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i was in beijing for three years and i didn't witness any really horrible accidents, but the freeway was always getting backed up because of them

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012
But what about North Korea?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I Love Annie May posted:

What about them?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Fututor Magnus posted:

The only stats I've ever seen are for fatal accidents, which are quite high but nowhere near the way Africa dominates the list. For non-fatal ones god only knows. I see at least one accident any day I'm outside and near roads for more than an hour or so. Couple days ago I saw a guy who rear ended a cement truck so hard he shattered his windshield. To be fair, it's hard to see a cement truck.

I've seen two people I'm 100% sure were dead, one from getting hit by a construction truck one from maybe jumping out of a window? It wasn't near the road and cops were taking pics. And at least five others that I'm pretty sure were dead. All motorcyclists who got run over by trucks.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Caesar Saladin posted:

i was in beijing for three years and i didn't witness any really horrible accidents, but the freeway was always getting backed up because of them

I saw the aftermaths of several. Two guys who'd been hit by cars turning right from the main road at a T-intersection, crossing the bike lane. After I saw the first one, I made a point of cutting into the car lane when I went through intersections like that, just so that 1: the car nearest me couldn't loving miss me, and 2: so I'd be out of its path of travel if they were turning. (Traffic was slow enough and I was fast enough that this wasn't particularly dangerous). IIRC there was one more accident there the nature of which I couldn't determine. There were a couple of collisions. My favorite was when the mianbaoche hit one of those steel barriers end on, caving the front end in and smashing about 3 loops on the barrier.

Oh yeah, and then there's the time I was hit by a Honda Accord.

The only one where I'm pretty sure someone died was when I saw a woman crying next to a pool of blood and a shattered scooter.

I've seen more fatal accident aftermaths in the US, actually.

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012

Jeoh posted:

What about them?

I mean in relation to that image. If Japan is Sushi China and Vietnam is Jungle China, then what is North Korea? Juche China? Nuclear China? Starving China?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I Love Annie May posted:

I mean in relation to that image. If Japan is Sushi China and Vietnam is Jungle China, then what is North Korea? Juche China? Nuclear China? Starving China?

Wifey China

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
.... taiwan?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
Communist China

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I'm going to a 'Chinese buffet' themed pot luck and said I'd do an egg noodle/bbq pork sort of dish, but I want to do something really tight. Since this is the best China related thread on the forums what do you guys suggest I try to cook?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Outrail posted:

I'm going to a 'Chinese buffet' themed pot luck and said I'd do an egg noodle/bbq pork sort of dish, but I want to do something really tight. Since this is the best China related thread on the forums what do you guys suggest I try to cook?

Gutter oil fried vegetables.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

LingcodKilla posted:

Gutter oil fried vegetables.

I was thinking I'd do an Americanized version of traditional. Boil them in sugar?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

I Love Annie May posted:

Nothing-to-do-with China.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Just make pad thai everyone will thank you.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Outrail posted:

This is very easy and good. Double the amount of spices and also add some thinly sliced pork belly that you've fried crispy. http://www.chinasichuanfood.com/dry-fried-cauliflower/

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
so if i'm getting it right, the most likely people to die on chinese roads are motorcyclists, and the most likely to kill are truck drivers? why is the traffic in china so dangerous?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Everyone ignores traffic lights/laws but people on bikes do it the most. They have no physical protection. Many truck drivers are paid by distance traveled, so they are constantly driving at maximum speed and never stop for traffic or red lights or anything else. People are loving idiots, China has gently caress you got mine cranked to 11, everyone is I GO FIRST in all situations, lots of people don't even know how driving works, no one cares about or notices anything other than themselves, no one pays attention to rules, no concept of public behavior or decency...

E: Just look at this poo poo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUHYcnjUKhs

E2: Also there's all kinds of bad driving here that's just loving nuts. Like I see at least a few people driving on the wrong side of the road into oncoming traffic every single day that I'm outside. Every. Single. Day. The kind of stuff I'd see maybe like once or twice in my entire driving lifetime in the US is a daily occurrence on Chinese roads.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Oct 29, 2017

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Plus if the licensing is anything like Taiwan they have no road experience before being given their license.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Those big red dump trucks in that video are the most dangerous vehicles on the planet. Almost every serious/fatal accident I've seen was one of those blasting somebody. Do not ever approach one of those or be in its way for any reason.

E: Lol 5:37 is the best part.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Oct 29, 2017

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Grand Fromage posted:

E: Lol 5:37 is the best part.

I had to watch this a few times to get a grasp on what was happening

edit: most of these just look so intentional

ladron fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Oct 29, 2017

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fututor Magnus posted:

so if i'm getting it right, the most likely people to die on chinese roads are motorcyclists, and the most likely to kill are truck drivers? why is the traffic in china so dangerous?

Motorcycles aren't call Donor-cycles for nothing in the medical community.

Lack of protection, instability, high skill floor, stupidity and physics mean not only are you going to get killed by almost anything you are likely to become brain dead even though the rest of your body is recoverable. This is pretty much universal, its a question of how many % of motorcyclist die a year. China being a lawless Mad max traffic clusterfuck is going to see more people turned into road kill.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I used to take motorcycle taxis every day in china. Makes you feel alive!

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
Whoever recommended Panda Gourmet in DC, thanks a lot! The dry fried chicken and chilies was really good, as was the cumin lamb and the spicy shaanxi noodles.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

TsarZiedonis posted:

Whoever recommended Panda Gourmet in DC, thanks a lot! The dry fried chicken and chilies was really good, as was the cumin lamb and the spicy shaanxi noodles.

lol if you live in Fairfax county, or worse, actual Washington DC

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009

The Great Autismo! posted:

Fairfax is cool man, there's lots of Vietnamese and Koreans so the food is good. And it's rich and snobby so there's bike lanes and breweries all over the place.

Also I only live here about 3/4ths of the year and plan on getting out ASAP

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

The Great Autismo! posted:

fairfax is way worse than DC, what the hell are you talking about

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Fututor Magnus posted:

I was in Shenyang for 6 months prior to the Beijing Olympics. Shenyang was hosting the football events, and they were doing a shitload of construction work to try and hide the fact that the Shenyang was a decaying rust-belt city. This meant tons, and tons of dumptrucks and some really poorly thought out detours, and measures to try and accommodate them.

I probably saw 5-6 different accidents involving dump trucks where people 100% died. One car was sandwiched between two dumptrucks, and I doubt there was enough empty space in the vehicle for a hamster to have survived let alone a human being. In most of the incidents I was either in a taxi or a bus driving past, so I was spared the grisly details, but one time I was walking down a street and saw what was left of a cheap Chinese car and there was a growing pool of fuel and blood coming out from under it. A dumptruck obviously couldn't stop in time, and instead of it flinging the car out of the way, the dumptruck's two front tires had made it all the way to the front bumper of the car and had flattened it to about 1-2' off the ground.

Dump trucks in China are are the ultimate killers on the road because they are either driven by idiots who have no idea of how weight effects braking distance, or they have never been properly maintained, and even if the driver has a clue, a mechanical failure means that someone is going to die.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I have seen what I'm pretty sure is the same dump truck going the wrong way down this one stretch of road near my work twice in the last 2 weeks. One of those times he was driving the wrong way in the bike lane. Moments after he'd gone, I saw a guy ride a bike out of there. That had to be terrifying.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

fairfax is way worse than DC, what the hell are you talking about

if you ever want to know what a hater looks like, here ya go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

TsarZiedonis posted: