Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Banjo Kazooie sucks rear end lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

In Training posted:

yeah its really bad, which is why I'm glad nintendo made this game and not rareware

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I'm here to tell you all that Sonic Underground is art.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

homeless snail posted:

yeah its really bad, which is why I'm glad nintendo made this game and not rareware

Thinking about how good it feels to cap jump

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

In Training posted:

i like banjo-kazooie

tooie, dk64 and yooka-laylee suck though and it's hilarious to me that a hat in time got kickstarted as being similar and it ended up just being mario galaxy instead and nobody complained

i don't have a switch but i'm looking forward to playing mario odyssey, some day

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Colonel posted:

i like banjo-kazooie

tooie, dk64 and yooka-laylee suck though and it's hilarious to me that a hat in time got kickstarted as being similar and it ended up just being mario galaxy instead and nobody complained

i don't have a switch but i'm looking forward to playing mario odyssey, some day

Actually yeah, a lot of my banjo animosity is from Tooie/DK64. That first game is alright

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it sucks cause tooie has a lot of effort put into it it's just, uh, nobody ever stopped for a second and said "hey. what if we made one of the most technically impressive n64 games, and didn't make half of it empty space and long unskippable cutscenes"

and then 17 years later they did the exact same thing except without the "technically impressive" part

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

In Training posted:

Thinking about how good it feels to cap jump

Using this to get moons you're supposed to be using capture abilities to reach is weirdly satisfying.

Its impossible to bounce off your cap more than one in a single jump though right?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Sonic Underground, secretly someone's SatAM D&D campaign.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Colonel posted:

it sucks cause tooie has a lot of effort put into it it's just, uh, nobody ever stopped for a second and said "hey. what if we made one of the most technically impressive n64 games, and didn't make half of it empty space and long unskippable cutscenes"

and then 17 years later they did the exact same thing except without the "technically impressive" part

It's a huge game that's also criminally boring. The levels are impressive in scale but yeah, there's just nothing in them. It's kind of the exact opposite of Odyssey, in a way. Large levels with a suffocatingly large amount of objectives

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I love Banjo Kazooie but Twooie is a drag. I think Perfect Dark is good evolution of Goldeneye though.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the worst part is that tooie does have some cool worlds like cloud cuckooland, but then it ruins them by making it so before you can access any of the stuff you have to do these boring multi-stage processes to unlock them, and then you can go in, and then you can actually do the thing to get the jiggy. and then you have amazing worlds like terrydactyland, where the entire world is tediously running back and forth doing loving nothing remotely interesting so you can get one jiggy

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

I love Banjo Kazooie but Twooie is a drag. I think Perfect Dark is good evolution of Goldeneye though.

perfect dark is badass, the rare games that understood how to just focus on being fun action games were good. jet force gemini would be awesome if it didn't also have the worst final boss requirement ever and also they ever did anything to make the controls better the one time they rereleased it

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I haven't played Tooie but Odyssey is definitely closer to Banjo Kazooie, also a game where you turn a corner and there's a puzzle or mini-game used once. Ever.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Colonel posted:

the worst part is that tooie does have some cool worlds like cloud cuckooland, but then it ruins them by making it so before you can access any of the stuff you have to do these boring multi-stage processes to unlock them, and then you can go in, and then you can actually do the thing to get the jiggy. and then you have amazing worlds like terrydactyland, where the entire world is tediously running back and forth doing loving nothing remotely interesting so you can get one jiggy

perfect dark is badass, the rare games that understood how to just focus on being fun action games were good

Oh god yeah. That cross world train nonsense that you had to check in repeatedly for the entire game to get one jiggy...Gah!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

tooie is where the rareware poo poo got real bad, but you don't get there without Banjo 1. like the way Banjo focuses on a small part of Mario 64, Tooie learns the wrong lessons from Banjo. and then DK64 lmao

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Mario used to be a plumber.

Peach's net worth must be pretty high in order to build giant statues of herself

I take it you never played mario land 3: wario land

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Super Mario Odyssey, but you have 5 different colored Marios and they all can only collect moons of their matching color.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the insane thing about tooie is technically it improves on stuff added in dk64 but it also somehow fills itself with much more busywork. like congratulations, there are no color-coded collectibles and warps are all connected to each other! it also now takes triple the amount of time to get a jiggy that it took to get a golden banana

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Super Mario Odyssey, but you have 5 different colored Marios and they all can only collect moons of their matching color.
also there are 4 different kinds of coins in each kingdom, if you want the hats you need the hat coins, if you want the shirts you need the shirt coins

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
like i'm gonna be honest. i got 101% in dk64. but by the end of tooie, i was too loving tired. dk64 is tedious but it always sort of almost feels like you're doing something??? tooie is simpler but, you spend so much time walking and watching cutscenes, and area transitions somehow feel like they take way longer than kazooie or dk

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

al-azad posted:

I haven't played Tooie but Odyssey is definitely closer to Banjo Kazooie, also a game where you turn a corner and there's a puzzle or mini-game used once. Ever.

I don’t know if there are any puzzles in Odyssey that are done only once, it generally uses the Galaxy formula where there is an easy version of a puzzle to teach you the ropes and then a harder one pops up later on.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
after that i think i replayed rayman 2 and remembered there was in fact more than one good 3d platformer in the n64 era

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I also did everything in DK64 but thankfully the only thing I remember about that game is that it has really good versions of Donkey Kong and Jetpac in it

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the boss battles in dk64 are much cooler than anything else in the game

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I 100% Tooie and dk64

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

homeless snail posted:

I also did everything in DK64 but thankfully the only thing I remember about that game is that it has really good versions of Donkey Kong and Jetpac in it

it doesn't have dk '94 in it sorry

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
its tail time

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

exploded mummy posted:

it doesn't have dk '94 in it sorry

That game is so good it's not even funny.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tomorrow i think i'll start playing REmake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1VeCmtyX90

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

The Colonel posted:

tomorrow i think i'll start playing REmake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1VeCmtyX90

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_r38e3Yqzg

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Olive! posted:

That game is so good it's not even funny.

tbh the first time i ever played it as a kid I was happy I beat 100 m and then watched DK get back up and went like waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I fell 30k places on the mario leaderboards in like 18 hours, holy crap

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I liked Tooie a lot, honestly. The unskippable cutscenes were trash garbage and probably ensure I couldn't stand playing it today, but I liked how sprawling and interconnected the world was and how long it took to get certain jiggies; it made them feel really special and satisfying to finally get. The interconnected world also let me plan out my route between levels to be as efficient as possible which is something I've always loved doing.

The Colonel posted:

like i'm gonna be honest. i got 101% in dk64. but by the end of tooie, i was too loving tired. dk64 is tedious but it always sort of almost feels like you're doing something??? tooie is simpler but, you spend so much time walking and watching cutscenes, and area transitions somehow feel like they take way longer than kazooie or dk

I guess I can understand this, but... man, so many of DK64's bananas were basically "switch to monkey, pound on switch with monkey's face on it, banana appears somewhere arbitrarily". And all of the levels were rooms connected by hallways with almost no landmarks to navigate them by. And there were two ability upgrades that were solely to let you hit different colored switches, like holy moly. They did that crap in Star Fox Adventures, too! A ground pound upgrade was the last thing you got in that game! Getting a new ability is one of the coolest things in a game and Rare made the last one the most boring thing possible.

Internet Kraken posted:

Using this to get moons you're supposed to be using capture abilities to reach is weirdly satisfying.

Its impossible to bounce off your cap more than one in a single jump though right?

They specifically catered to this kinda stuff, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a382dmNvRXs

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The best X Kong game is Diddy Kong Racing

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

The Colonel posted:

after that i think i replayed rayman 2 and remembered there was in fact more than one good 3d platformer in the n64 era

I loved "Tonic Trouble" but this isn't the Games Only Kids Who Were Molested Played thread

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

goferchan posted:

I loved "Tonic Trouble" but this isn't the Games Only Kids Who Were Molested Played thread

:yikes:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

what about space station silicon valley, everyone can enjoy that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

https://twitter.com/itssnails/status/924532070830837762

• Locked thread