Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Tgent posted:

I also have this issue, just with the right joycon. It can be pretty frustrating and I haven't been able to find much info about it online, its all stuff about the left joycon. I'm guessing its made worse by the fact that my switch needs to be in a cabinet behind my TV (the TV is wall mounted).

Does the pro controller have significantly better range?

I don't believe it is a range issue. Tonight I found that the Switch has a button test mode, which is great for troubleshooting this kind of issue. Not only does it function well almost twice the distance from the console, but I was getting perfect button response with myself in my bedroom and the Switch in my living room, with several walls between.

The problem is when I am sitting on my couch, about 7-8 feet from the console, and I am not sitting straight up with the controller out in front of me. If I try to relax more, lean back, kick my feet up on my table... that is when I start having these issues. The interference is the signal being blocked by my body, while distance and walls don't affect it nearly as much.

If you read about this online, you'll find that it is commonly known that bodies can affect Bluetooth like this. I know I have this problem with headphones and iPhones. But I never have this issue with other controllers, like my XB1 and PS4 controllers. Both connect to my PC through Bluetooth, and I can't recall any signal issues I've had with them. (Okay, technically, I've had signal problems with the DualShock 4, but only when using it with a specific DualShock program; using it vanilla with Windows Bluetooth is fine.)

There's a video of somebody modding the antenna in the Joycons by soldering a wire. I'm starting to get tempted...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Uncle Amiibo recognizing my Ness amiibo makes me hope for a future patch that adds his outfit for Mario. Unlikely, but one can dream.

I did the exact same thing last night. :buddy:

Still worth it. I'm not chasing that bird a second longer than I need to and death is meaningless in SMO.

I also got the nearby power moon on top of the pillar, by jumping down to it from the top of the inverted pyramid. Then realizing that the glider lizard likely exists for collecting it with less effort, but also less free-falling fun. :allears:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Does anyone know when BOTW is going to get its last DLC and get an all-in edition? I know I want to re-buy it for the Switch eventually but dunno when.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Samurai Sanders posted:

Does anyone know when BOTW is going to get its last DLC and get an all-in edition? I know I want to re-buy it for the Switch eventually but dunno when.

It's been reconfirmed that the DLC will release before the end of the year. Unknown if a packaged deal with the game comes at the same time.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
There won’t be a goat edition

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
There'll be a goat edition once the Switch 2 comes out and they port BoTW to it because that's the only way Nintendo does goty editions

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

how about some dang kirby user icons already for this thing!

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
finally managed to sneak away and snag odyssey!!

wow you guys were not joking about the wood world music, that escalated quickly, before i even realized it was coming from the switch and not the tv

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
gently caress smo

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I beat Luncheon Kingdom and I never knew I wanted the Kingdom after that but I want so much more of it.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I tried to buy Wolfenstien II today and found out it wont be coming to the Switch until 2018. The weird part is that I am sure I knew this already.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

gently caress smo

I don't know man, you gotta romance a game like that.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I tried to buy Wolfenstien II today and found out it wont be coming to the Switch until 2018. The weird part is that I am sure I knew this already.

anyone couild have told you that

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
looking at how insistent nintendo is about playing mario odyssey with detached joycons (and how they've been kinda acting this way with all of their titles post BOTW), i get the feeling that they're trying to low-key reintroduce the concept of the wii back to the market

like i'm starting to expect that they're going to put out a console-only version of the switch at a reduced price and they're going to market it as a motion-controls enabled casual platform. and it's going to happen relatively soon, like late 2018

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Oct 29, 2017

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Mutant Standard posted:

looking at how insistent nintendo is about playing mario odyssey with detached joycons (and how they've been kinda acting this way with all of their titles post BOTW), i get the feeling that they're trying to low-key reintroduce the concept of the wii back to the market

like i'm starting to expect that they're going to put out a console-only version of the switch at a reduced price and they're going to market it as a motion-controls enabled casual platform

That would be a huge mistake

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Played about half an hour of Mario so far and it's awesome.

Less awesome was playing in an ARMS tournament at pax yesterday and finally experiencing the poo poo that is forced motion controls (especially when they start in button mode then randomly change). Compete loving garbage. In my defence I've never played it without being in handheld mode so never knew how bad they are.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

That would be a huge mistake

probably, but I bet for nintendo it makes a certain amount of sense.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Oct 29, 2017

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Mutant Standard posted:

It wouldn't because the entire point of the Switch is that you can pick it up whenever. It would be like a Wii without motion controls, a Wii U without the gamepad or a spherical gamecube. Nintendo doesn't abandon core gimmicks like that.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Mutant Standard posted:

like i'm starting to expect that they're going to put out a console-only version of the switch at a reduced price and they're going to market it as a motion-controls enabled casual platform. and it's going to happen relatively soon, like late 2018

And what happens to the whole pro controller that is 70 dollars

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

god the camera mode in mario is so good

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

nintendo shoehorns in motion controls because they want their games to be accessible to those who look at a controller and go "woah that's too complicated for me"

doing a complete 180 on the concept of the switch would be the loving dumbest thing they could honestly do at this point and i have no idea why anyone keeps thinking they're going to make console-/handheld-only variants of the switch

it's not going to happen

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Mutant Standard posted:

You are dumb

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

It wouldn't because the entire point of the Switch is that you can pick it up whenever. It would be like a Wii without motion controls, a Wii U without the gamepad or a spherical gamecube. Nintendo doesn't abandon core gimmicks like that.
the 2DS

a.lo posted:

And what happens to the whole pro controller that is 70 dollars
it would still exist, as would the switch?

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Oct 29, 2017

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Mutant Standard posted:

it would still exist, as would the switch?

I only replied to you because what you say is ridiculous

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Mutant Standard posted:

the 2DS

it still exists, as would the switch?

The 2DS still had 2 screens, one of which was a touchscreen. A non-portable Switch would be a like a 1 screen 3DS.

It's also literally the only time they've ever done anything like that. You're really not very smart.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Mutant Standard posted:

This person believes what he types.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

The 2DS still had 2 screens, one of which was a touchscreen. A non-portable Switch would be a like a 1 screen 3DS.
a non portable switch would still have functional parity with all of nintendo's first party software, it just wouldn't be portable. i don't see how it would be the same as a 1 screen 3ds, no game relies on the player to switch between console and portable modes.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Oct 29, 2017

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

oh man can you just not post here

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Mutant Standard posted:

a non portable switch would still have functional parity with all of nintendo's first party software, it just wouldn't be portable. i don't see how it would be the same as a 1 screen 3ds, no game relies on the player to switch between console and portable modes.

Several Switch games require the touchscreen

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Several Switch games require the touchscreen
yeah, but they're digital only 3rd party titles that could be removed from the "whitelist" on the eshop. still a messy prospect, but the playstation tv happened

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
The 2DS was able to play all the same games as the 3ds. A non-portable Switch would not be able to play games like Severed that need the touchscreen and future games would need to account for consoles that cannot use touch for anything. It would be categorically worse and Nintendo has never released a new hardware iteration that could not play the same games at the previous iteration.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Mutant Standard posted:

yeah, but they're digital only 3rd party titles that could be removed from the "whitelist" on the eshop. still a messy prospect, but the playstation tv happened

PSTV was even more DOA than the Vita itself. It barely sold. Releasing a Switch that does not switch would literally be the dumbest move Nintendo could make right now.

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Oct 29, 2017

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Releasing a Switch that does not switch would literally be the dumbest move Nintendo could make right now.

it wouldn't be a very good move. but neither is shoehorning in motion controls to the detriment of the portable experience (to the point where you straight up can't do certain actions that joy-con users can), and nintendo keeps doing that whenever they get the chance. they seem eager to invoke the wii

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Mutant Standard posted:

it wouldn't be a very good move. but neither is shoehorning in motion controls to the detriment of the portable experience (to the point where you straight up can't do certain actions that joy-con users can), and nintendo can't stop doing that to their games. they seem really eager to invoke the wii whenever they get the chance.

You can literally do all the motion control actions in SMO with buttons

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

You can literally do all the motion control actions in SMO with buttons
you can do all the fancy curved, homing, and directional hat tosses with just the buttons?

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Mutant Standard posted:

you can do all the fancy curved, homing, and directional hat tosses with just the buttons?

You can do the spinning throw but you can't do the homing cap throw. You also can't speed climb, or do a lot of capture actions (like high jumping) without motion controls.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

actually i rescind my whole argument because what do you call a switch that can't switch

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Wait, so can you or can't you? Had conflicting answers almost straight after each other

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

iajanus posted:

Wait, so can you or can't you? Had conflicting answers almost straight after each other

Unless there are methods that aren't listed in the action guide or other in game tutorial popups, there are definitely some actions that can't be done without motion controls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

I know you can climb veins faster holding down y. and for creatures that have shaking commands, that you NEED to do in order to progress through the stage, will also let you do their shake ability by hitting Y + B simultaneously (namely the fish and the onion vine dudes.) the tooltips that frequently appear but leave out key button information is a really weird oversight by nintendo. even when you disable motion controls they'll still tell you what shaking will do but not the button equivalent of it. it's odd that it's an issue when every other aspect of the game feels like a ton of time was spent on it and a ton of manpowered was poured into it

• Locked thread