Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Perestroika posted:

Is Admiral Cornwell in particular Lorca's direct superior, though? Like, there are a whole lotof admirals and captains around in Starfleet, and they're probably not all within the same organisational structure. From the looks of it, it seemed like Lorca's chain of command had him answering to that Vulcan admiral, not Cornwell. So while it's still skeevy, boning a technical superior who's in a separate branch/fleet/army group doesn't seem quite as compromising.

Think he was just talking to the Vulcan because of the Sarek situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Paradoxish posted:

It's more hosed up that the writers don't seem to understand or acknowledge how hosed up it is. Lorca is clearly damaged and not fit for command and Admiral Cornwell is in a weird position given how and why she knows that, but that's not even like a five second plot point.

How would you expect it to be acknowledged? It seemed pretty clear to me how hosed up all of it was, didn't need to be directly shown or said any more than it was.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

r.y.f.s.o. posted:

Why do you react to criticism of STD like someone is insulting your mother?

A more pertinent question would by "why do so many in this thread hate Discovery like it raped their mother?"

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

A more pertinent question would by "why do so many in this thread hate Discovery like it raped their mother?"

This show is boring enough that your shtick isn't really shticking, man

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Well, my mother was a tardigrade.

The Unfetered One
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax
I have just binged watched all of Discovery today. While the first two episodes were a little wobbly it found its feet running by the third episode. I am loving Captain Malfoy so much.

I think this a pretty drat good Trek show to be honest. I am hooked

The Unfetered One
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Also, Admiral Cornwell is TOTALLY Lethe from TOS episode Dagger of the Mind

The Unfetered One fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 28, 2017

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Lord Krangdar posted:

How would you expect it to be acknowledged? It seemed pretty clear to me how hosed up all of it was, didn't need to be directly shown or said any more than it was.

I mean that it's hosed up for Cornwell to be screwing with Lorca's career while being involved in a decidedly non-professional relationship with him. It's weird for your boss to fire you based on something that happened in a relationship outside of work even if she's totally justified in doing so. Even two seconds of dialogue from her or Lorca about the conflict of interest would have been something.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Paradoxish posted:

I mean that it's hosed up for Cornwell to be screwing with Lorca's career while being involved in a decidedly non-professional relationship with him. It's weird for your boss to fire you based on something that happened in a relationship outside of work even if she's totally justified in doing so. Even two seconds of dialogue from her or Lorca about the conflict of interest would have been something.

Yeah but we already know its hosed up, we don't need exposition telling us that. And maybe it would make sense for Lorca to protest on those grounds, but he already has a more aggressive plan to make it go away.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

They're regular flawed human beings that did a thing they probably shouldn't have, that's good enough for me

The Unfetered One
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax

The Unfetered One posted:

Also, Admiral Cornwell is TOTALLY Lethe from TOS episode Dagger of the Mind

Wow I just looked back and found the episode is actually called Lethe. Theory confirmed.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Drink-Mix Man posted:

They're regular flawed human beings that did a thing they probably shouldn't have, that's good enough for me

I think they're very much irregular in every conceivable way. If you know someone this flawed, maybe try meeting other people.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

I have just binged watched all of Discovery today. While the first two episodes were a little wobbly it found its feet running by the third episode. I am loving Captain Malfoy so much.

I think this a pretty drat good Trek show to be honest. I am hooked

You'll need this.... Standard issue, solider.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I do like having a non-evil admiral. They sort of got off that though. Admiral Forrest in Enterprise was a good dude and Admiral Ross in DS9 had... some flaws but wasn't like a TNG admiral.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Ross was working with Section 31 according to that one episode where Bashir goes to Romulus. Other than that he was OK.

I don't recall Forrest doing anything shady.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

It's cool seeing all these posters in utter dismay over a board member keeping a fuckboy on the payroll and letting them fail upwards like it was something new.

Five pips means you get to gently caress whatever you'd like and no one says poo poo because of the aforementioned five pips.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Powered Descent posted:

This is something of a :can: to some fans, but I've always thought it was ridiculous to try to claim that Starfleet isn't military. They fight the Federation's wars. That's the very definition of being the military; everything else is beside the point. They may prefer to think of themselves as explorers, and in peacetime they do quite a bit of science and exploration. But it all gets dropped like a hot potato the instant it's time to go blow poo poo up. When war breaks out, if there's ongoing science that would be useful for weapons research or military effectiveness, you better believe that's how it's going to be applied. You know, like happens in the entire premise of Discovery.

the spanish were just explorers until they conquered south america

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained

No, that's not a more pertinent question. that's hyperbolic, and not helping your case.

The Unfetered One
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Rocksicles posted:

You'll need this.... Standard issue, solider.

I will admit I have read none of this thread, my starting point is my first post, so I have to ask has it been really that badly received? I really do think it is highly enjoyable and I love the fact the Captain is suffering with PTSD and has a sketchy background.
Seeing Dwight from the office took me out of it a little as I spent way too long trying to figure out where I had seen him before.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

I will admit I have read none of this thread, my starting point is my first post, so I have to ask has it been really that badly received? I really do think it is highly enjoyable and I love the fact the Captain is suffering with PTSD and has a sketchy background.
Seeing Dwight from the office took me out of it a little as I spent way too long trying to figure out where I had seen him before.

We must move forward, not backward; upward, not forward; and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!

Seriously though, i can't tell who likes and who hates it anymore, people just argue about lighting and warp signatures.
I'm with you though, it scratches a very specific itch i have for space battles and klaxons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0B8iIYjO4U

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Oct 29, 2017

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I like it, it's just easier to point out weird bits than to describe why I like it.

I guess I like how everything looks and that they have some non sexy women in the main cast. And the Klingon war / spore drive plots are interesting enough to make me want to watch the next episode. And in between there's some pew pew Star Trek stuff to keep me entertained.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

pidan posted:

I like it, it's just easier to point out weird bits than to describe why I like it.

I guess I like how everything looks and that they have some non sexy women in the main cast. And the Klingon war / spore drive plots are interesting enough to make me want to watch the next episode. And in between there's some pew pew Star Trek stuff to keep me entertained.

Tily's rojofro is plently hot.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Since when have people been allowed to say they haven't read any of the thread?

Also that's what IMDB is for, pause it and check!

The Unfetered One
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Steady on there forums poster Taear, I didnt wish to stir up a hornets nest.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Discovery is good. Well, there's my hot take, have at me lads.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Discovery is disappointing, but still enjoyable.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

You can really tell that tensions are high in the Discovery thread. I feel like I need some riot gear to protect my nipps from all those stinging comments.

Discovery is very much okay, btw. Kind of like microwave pizza.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Discovery has Space Orcs called Klingons or something like that. I don't know why the title of this thread isn't Space Orc: Nipple Clamps but to each their own. This random statement is also my review.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

r.y.f.s.o. posted:

No, that's not a more pertinent question. that's hyperbolic, and not helping your case.

Nothing will ever be hyperbolic when discussing this threads hatred of discovery. People were complaining about the type of LEDs used after the pilot aired. I was there. I saw it all and I'll never be the same.

You people are clownish buffoons still coming to terms with the fact your mascot turned out to be a child molester. Your views and opinions ever suspect.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

I will admit I have read none of this thread, my starting point is my first post, so I have to ask has it been really that badly received?

The usual suspects have shat the bed so hard at the idea of Trek that isn't identical to the Trek from their childhoods that they have actually propelled themselves into strange new beds, which are now also beshitten.
It's the same reaction that TNG and DS9 had when they started, but through the filter of the internet instead of tear-stained letters to the studio. This isn't Star Trek, that bald Englishman is ruining it.#NotmyHarryMudd.

Of the people not wearing replica uniforms, or who have the basic ability to watch and understand a simple TV show, the reaction hasn't been nearly so negative.

An Ounce of Gold posted:

I don't know why the title of this thread isn't Space Orc: Nipple Clamps but to each their own.

Because comic originality isn't entirely dead on SA yet.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Regarde Aduck posted:

You people are clownish buffoons still coming to terms with the fact your mascot turned out to be a child molester
Yes, that's a productive way to talk about different taste regarding spaceship TV.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

I, for one, am glad you're fighting the good fight against those hostile, idiotic, nostalgic pedophiles who are neither original nor funny. I don't like them, either. Godspeed, gentlemen.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Do people actually think people who don't like their favorite Star Trek show are pedophiles or is this just elaborate hyperbole?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Arglebargle III posted:

Do people actually think people who don't like their favorite Star Trek show are pedophiles or is this just elaborate hyperbole?

It's an Aatrek joke.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
It's pretty funny to see purebred autism that got tricked into watching this show because it's called star trek interact the actual show, which is at least trying to have subtext or expect something from the viewer rather than having 5 beige people spout exposition in exact lockstep, their dilated pupils fixed on the camera

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

There is a crazy high, unexplained correlation between liking Star Trek and being a pedo. I'm not joking.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Arglebargle III posted:

Elaborate hyperbole, though I don't think there are that many posters here who think Discovery is their favorite Star Trek show

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Phobeste posted:

It's pretty funny to see purebred autism that got tricked into watching this show because it's called star trek interact the actual show, which is at least trying to have subtext or expect something from the viewer rather than having 5 beige people spout exposition in exact lockstep, their dilated pupils fixed on the camera

I appreciate Discovery because it’s at least attempting to do something different with Star Trek. It doesn’t stick the landing sometimes, and there are definitely still some reservations I have with even the basic concept, but I really like most of the characters and am totally down with the Discovery being the experimental weirdo ship being captained by a literal crazy person.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
It would have been nice if the show didn't come off like a 13 years old's hyper serious and totally grown up fanfic from 1997 original characters do not steal

Like I know that Trek got stagnant and needed to shake things up but even when this show has a good idea like the LSD drugs engine it ends up totally underwhelming, just like the last two loving shows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

There is a crazy high, unexplained correlation between liking Star Trek and being a pedo. I'm not joking.

But the Toronto police officer who said that was joking. :ssh: