Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Mutant Standard posted:

I know you can climb veins faster holding down y. and for creatures that have shaking commands, that you NEED to do in order to progress through the stage, will also let you do their shake ability by hitting Y + B simultaneously (namely the fish and the onion vine dudes.)

Thanks, that's good to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
I think one of the advantages of the Switch’s flexibility is Nintendo could release revisions that abandon certain features/functionalities to see if they can hit a new market, like a console-only Switch aimed at the Wii sports nursing home market and/or a cheaper portable only with non-detachable JoyCons aimed at kids. One of the bigger risks of launching a new platform is not having any existing software or service support. But a console or portable only Switch would play 90% of Switch games, just with limitations like games which use the touch screen can’t be played on Console-only and games which do local multiplayer couldn’t be played on the portable only without buying extra controllers. And if one or both of these revisions flounder and fail, Nintendo still has the Perfect System to continue releasing perfect games on.

Once the current Switch is close to market saturation and no longer supply constrained, I would expect to see experimental revisions like this.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I don't know why people need to keep inventing reasons why Nintendo would take their successful console and release worse versions of it that would just divide their userbase for no discernible gain.

There is no Wii Sports Nursing Home market. There was a specific Wii Sports craze that swept the world ten years ago. Those people are not looking for another Wii Sports. They don't care.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Cleared the "main game" and did so with surprisingly more Moons under my belt than expected.

Not that it matters since we get at least ten added per zone and I'd not even begun collecting the poo poo that appears back in Bonneton. This game is truly a gem. I could gush for awhile on it, but basically every part of it works to a polished perfection. What especially surprises me is how much influence, of all games, Captain Toad clearly had on this game. Be it the perspective shifting, the items hidden in plain site or just the basic concept of creating enormous, semi-sprawling puzzle-box-like levels that emphasize exploration, it feels like Captain Toad rekindled some internal love for this style of game again, and now they've gone and done it in proper Mario fashion.

It's going to be so hard for Nintendo to top this title. This may ultimately be their pinnacle -- a final, perfect attempt to play the tune they'd started with 64 and kind of faltered on with Sunshine.

It's so very fitting to discover the "bonus" Kingdom and find the special outfits available there. Lots of nostalgic goodness.

My favorite detail in the ending is:
Mario consolingly patting Bowser's shell after Peach spurns both of their affections.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

did nintendo change the design of the joy con straps since release?

and if not, how were people doing it wrong?

my fresh switch purchase is obnoxiously great though

smiles for miles Right Now

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Tender Bender posted:

I don't know why people need to keep inventing reasons why Nintendo would take their successful console and release worse versions of it that would just divide their userbase for no discernible gain.

There is no Wii Sports Nursing Home market. There was a specific Wii Sports craze that swept the world ten years ago. Those people are not looking for another Wii Sports. They don't care.

I’m not saying the market exists, I just think Nintendo can lob softballs at different potential markets to see if they get a hit without risking their entire marketshare. The Switch platform is well set up to make low risk, high reward revisions that can be quickly abandoned if lightning doesn’t strike.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I admit by this time last week I had heard way more than enough of that corny theme song, and New Donk City started looking tired as soon as I finished watching that first reveal of the game (lol why nothing but taxi cabs amirite) but something happened to all of that. I just spent pretty much the entire night bouncing around New Donk City and the sequence of events leading up to the first multi moon got me pretty hard in the feels.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

enojy posted:

I admit by this time last week I had heard way more than enough of that corny theme song, and New Donk City started looking tired as soon as I finished watching that first reveal of the game (lol why nothing but taxi cabs amirite) but something happened to all of that. I just spent pretty much the entire night bouncing around New Donk City and the sequence of events leading up to the first multi moon got me pretty hard in the feels.

why are so few organizations besides Nintendo so bad at making not-bad games?

is it the time needed for competent development, something other corporate structures won't generally allow?

and the institutional knowledge on top of that

this game is a smirk fest for me unlike anything since the time I first played super mario galaxy

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The 2DS had a very specific purpose for existing; So small kids can play Pokemon without damaging their still-developing eyes with stereoscopic 3D.

nerd_of_prey
Mar 27, 2010

Raserys posted:

I got Mario odyssey yesterday, and it's fantastic, but tbh I'm still playing fire emblem warriors

Me too, booted up Odyssey couldn't pull off the motion controls with my pro controller and too lazy to change my controller set up so just went back to smashing up soldiers in Fe:Warriors. Will get back on to mario soon though as I did enjoy being a T rex but not so much a bullet Bill.

nerd_of_prey
Mar 27, 2010

Tgent posted:

I also have this issue, just with the right joycon. It can be pretty frustrating and I haven't been able to find much info about it online, its all stuff about the left joycon. I'm guessing its made worse by the fact that my switch needs to be in a cabinet behind my TV (the TV is wall mounted).

Does the pro controller have significantly better range?

I had a right joycon issue, (neon joycon plus snipperclips pack brought separately to console) mine kept disconnecting and had input lag. Sent it off to Nintendo UK and it was back in a couple of days working well.

However, since getting a pro controller I think it is superior in everyway, no input issues, super responsive and I got the splatoon one so it's fresh.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

enojy posted:

(lol why nothing but taxi cabs amirite)

private car ownership is bad for a lot of reasons

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Has anyone here picked up the Nyko Dock at all and if so would you recommend it?

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Tender Bender posted:

Because a lot of traditional console gamers don't want/care about the handheld aspect and repeatedly keep saying, "I'd take a stronger switch that wasn't a handheld in a heartbeat". There isn't a strong cry for people who want a handheld-only switch (though I'd like that myself), it's pretty much the former group imagining up scenarios that would get them what they want.

It's sorta like people who imagine Nintendo going 3rd party so we could get their dang good video games without their dang dumb, stupid, and failing consoles as well. These people have a solution they want, and are envisioning a problem and scenario that would fit that solution.

Bulgakov posted:

why are so few organizations besides Nintendo so bad at making not-bad games?

is it the time needed for competent development, something other corporate structures won't generally allow?

and the institutional knowledge on top of that

It's not really time needed. Some of Nintendo's best released games come out very very quickly, and some of them take just as long as some of the other largest games in the industry.

I'd like to answer the question properly, but I'm hoping Sunning will come by and give us a good wide analytical take on different company standards that would be better than anything any of us could write :v:

iajanus posted:

Wait, so can you or can't you? Had conflicting answers almost straight after each other

Mutant Standard posted:

I know you can climb veins faster holding down y. and for creatures that have shaking commands, that you NEED to do in order to progress through the stage, will also let you do their shake ability by hitting Y + B simultaneously (namely the fish and the onion vine dudes.)

So if I have this right, that means that w/o motion controls, players still have all the needed button commands to play/beat the game, but are missing out on some of the QoL commands that make things more convenient?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
So for those of you wondering what Gamecube controllers working through the WiiU adapter means in terms of future developments... turns out Nintendo's as surprised as we are.

Reggie Fils-Aime posted:

In our latest system software update, it enables third-party peripherals to work on Nintendo Switch. As a result, the peripheral for Wii U that allows it to attach GameCube controllers also works. I think it’s fair to say, Stephen, that that peripheral working was as much a surprise to us as it was to consumers.

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit
pff bull poo poo reggie we all know you guys are going to put gamecube VC on the switch

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Skeezy posted:

Has anyone here picked up the Nyko Dock at all and if so would you recommend it?

I heard rumors of it permanently frying your console USB port.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

So for those of you wondering what Gamecube controllers working through the WiiU adapter means in terms of future developments... turns out Nintendo's as surprised as we are.

Oh come on. Gimme smash got dang brothers Nintendo.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Skeezy posted:

There are stories of it mangling the usb c connector on your switch. Maybe they’re edge cases or people who open palm slam their switch into the dock but I wouldn’t risk it until it gets debunked as fake or fixed by nyko

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Lol no it wasn't Reggie come on

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The only way that's remotely possible is if the person(s) on the firmware team who got it running didn't document it properly. It may have come together pretty easily, but the system's not going to accept a 4-port Gamecube adapter with flawless button mapping without some deliberate effort. Maybe I'd believe it was accidental if everything worked except the triggers, or something like that.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Macaluso posted:

Lol no it wasn't Reggie come on

Supercar Gautier posted:

The only way that's remotely possible is if the person(s) on the firmware team who got it running didn't document it properly. It may have come together pretty easily, but the system's not going to accept a 4-port Gamecube adapter with flawless button mapping without some deliberate effort. Maybe I'd believe it was accidental if everything worked except the triggers, or something like that.

I agree but only because I want a thing. I know nothing of software engineering.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I just love how officially enough time has passed that new Mario games stopped being love letters to SMB1 and are now love letters to 64
I mean yeah of course a lot of loving references to the first Mario games but dang they're successfully banking on the 64 nostalgia

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I could see Nintendo making a cheaper and bombproof version of the Switch for kiddos, sort of like the 2DS, if that were practical. That seems like it would expand their market, especially once the 3DS simmers down. Maybe a smaller version without the dock and detachable joycons.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

If anyone plays a lot of games with the d-pad, the hori pokken controller has a sweet d-pad. It's $25 on amazon. I've gotten a lot of mileage out of it between the pc and now switch.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Calaveron posted:

I just love how officially enough time has passed that new Mario games stopped being love letters to SMB1 and are now love letters to 64
I mean yeah of course a lot of loving references to the first Mario games but dang they're successfully banking on the 64 nostalgia

but it has a love note to the former at the beginning

:thunk:

that nostalgic sight and sound is cultural canon

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Supercar Gautier posted:

Not really. If they're working off a standardized codebase between consoles there's no reason that the 4-port hub isn't sending button inputs that match whatever standardized USB output they're expecting to receive.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cubivore_ posted:

Ready for 2nd flight of the day

The Switch is awesome

Powerful combo

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I'm a few worlds into Odyssey now and it hit me that so far I have found the control and movement for every capture to be completely reasonable and intuitive. Right now I'm really impressed by Tropical Wiggler. Many games would try to do a mechanic like that and it would feel clumsy or require an unfun level of precision. Instead it just works.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Something to note for those that have been mentioning how easy SMO is; Wait til you get to the post-story content.

Then your pain begins, friend :toughguy:.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The flower UFO fight was loving awesome dang

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Something to note for those that have been mentioning how easy SMO is; Wait til you get to the post-story content.

Then your pain begins, friend :toughguy:.

Yea, I know better by now when people/reviewers are like "welp beat the new Mario game... kinda easy imo"

Bitch you didn't beat poo poo, you cleared the tutorial

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

enojy posted:

Yea, I know better by now when people/reviewers are like "welp beat the new Mario game... kinda easy imo"

Bitch you didn't beat poo poo, you cleared the tutorial

Nintendo know how to twist the knife; by simply not placing coins in the little stand-alone level you've just died a dozen times while trying to survive getting through :unsmigghh:.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I wonder what happens if you die and you have no coins left

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Calaveron posted:

I wonder what happens if you die and you have no coins left

Extreme shame.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Switch doesn’t support bluetooth headsets right? Is it feasible for them to patch it in or is it physically unable to do bluetooth

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I might be imagining this but I seem to remember around the time of Galaxy 2 there was an interview with one of the developers that stated they designed that particular game with the idea that anyone can beat it and see the ending, but anyone who wants to 100% it will find it a real challenge. If that's true, they probably kept that philosophy as they made more Mario games, including this one. 3D World was also really easy if you just wanted to clear the levels and beat Bowser at the end, but if you wanted to 100% the game then you had to work for it.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Improbable Lobster posted:

The 2DS was able to play all the same games as the 3ds. A non-portable Switch would not be able to play games like Severed that need the touchscreen and future games would need to account for consoles that cannot use touch for anything. It would be categorically worse and Nintendo has never released a new hardware iteration that could not play the same games at the previous iteration.

You could have a portable only and a console only version of the switch it wouldn't be a big deal. Nintendo released like a zillion different DS's that I didn't see a market for.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

GreenNight posted:

Extreme shame.

Or a moon.

I just played catch with a dog and he dug me up a moon and it was awesome GOAT

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Or a moon.

I just played catch with a dog and he dug me up a moon and it was awesome GOAT

Check inside The Odyssey, he's riding with you onboard too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Can someone explain what this “take a picture of hint art” thing is?

• Locked thread