Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

OptimusWang posted:

What are those used for? Making your own paint?

Weathering, for mud and dirt etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

OptimusWang posted:

What are those used for? Making your own paint?

In traditional art, yes they are. Some people prefer to control exact consistency. Of course, I'm sure some people use them dry or dust them on.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
A thing was done, and cross post posted.

R0ckfish posted:

I did a land raider! holy poo poo was working on it exhausting tho, just so much stuff to cover.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Finally got around to painting a bit more. 15mm Barbarian and some treasure tokens

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Finally got around to painting a bit more. 15mm Barbarian and some treasure tokens

This is insanity. And really well done, the amount of detail you get on that small of a mini is crazy.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Nebalebadingdong posted:

-----

Holy poo poo, how long does it take do those tiny things?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Doesn't take that long at that size. That's why I like 15mm!

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Decided to try out my Deathwatch this weekend, so I (mostly) finished up my Corvus Blackstar and the base. I toned down the red by swapping to Khorne Red as a base instead of Mephiston Red as well.

Am I doing the blending right on the cockpit? I'm not really sure. I think it looks okay, but this was really my first time trying to blend.

First time doing a scenic base as well.

Things I learned: Don't flock before you drybrush the stone and don't use cheap $2 primer, because it gunks up. Luckily I have two more to try basing.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

I was given these this weekend, it's apparently time for me to learn some of the dark arts of pigmets and enamel based washes. Other than Mig Jimenez youtubes, do you lot have some recommended guides and videos?

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

Finished Joker and Goons.

Batman and Arkham Guards

Blackgate Prisoners

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
I like the skin on the left prisoner. What method did you use?

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

Mugaaz posted:

I like the skin on the left prisoner. What method did you use?

Just the flesh tones set by Scale 75 and used a series of washes and thin glaze like highlights so get the look.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

dr_ether posted:

Finished Joker and Goons.

Batman and Arkham Guards

Blackgate Prisoners

Awesome, these look great. Hows the quality of their new resin?

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

bonds0097 posted:

Awesome, these look great. Hows the quality of their new resin?

The details are nice and crisp, and in general very few issues on the cast (slip, bubbles etc). I would rather work with these than the original metal casts they did - I loving hated those bastards. This sculpt of the Joker is far superior to the original Arkham City one they did. Really looking forward to getting Two Face.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

dr_ether posted:

The details are nice and crisp, and in general very few issues on the cast (slip, bubbles etc). I would rather work with these than the original metal casts they did - I loving hated those bastards. This sculpt of the Joker is far superior to the original Arkham City one they did. Really looking forward to getting Two Face.

That's good to hear, I think I ordered a pair of starters recently.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I picked up a scourge starter box the other day and i wanted to ask for some colour scheme opinions.

Here is a quick test i did on a flat piece of plastic:

I'm pretty set on the rust brown and the green glow for weapons and vents but i'm entirely unsure on the eyes.

For reference, here's what the models look like in studio scheme:

Edit:
Scourge basically have fours kinds of details that warrant special treatment: eyes, plasma weapons, vents, engines
eyes i could see either with green glow or the gem like effect on the sample
plasma weapons are definitely getting glow
vents could either be glowing or getting pigment powder soot treatment
engines are probably going to be metallic with or without glow

Bistromatic fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Oct 30, 2017

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Is there anything different about Vallejo Air paints besides being much thinner? And the Air paints still need to be thinned ?

goodness fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Oct 31, 2017

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Bistromatic posted:

I picked up a scourge starter box the other day and i wanted to ask for some colour scheme opinions.

Here is a quick test i did on a flat piece of plastic:

I'm pretty set on the rust brown and the green glow for weapons and vents but i'm entirely unsure on the eyes.

For reference, here's what the models look like in studio scheme:

Edit:
Scourge basically have fours kinds of details that warrant special treatment: eyes, plasma weapons, vents, engines
eyes i could see either with green glow or the gem like effect on the sample
plasma weapons are definitely getting glow
vents could either be glowing or getting pigment powder soot treatment
engines are probably going to be metallic with or without glow

I'm not sure how I feel about the blue/grey samples. Are those actually blue or is that a metallic paint reflecting something?

kommisar
Jan 2, 2007

goodness posted:

Is there anything different about Vallejo Air paints besides being much thinner? And the Air paints still need to be thinned ?

They’re a bit thinner. I tend to use them straight out of the dropper because I’m lazy but if your going to be using a lot of the same color I’d thin it a bit first.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Quick sanity check: can I use mineral spirits for thinning enamel washes? I have some mineral spirits for cleaning brushes already, and I’d rather not buy special enamel thinner if I don’t have to. (I also have lacquer thinner and a few varieties of acrylic thinner, though I doubt those would work.)

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007

First attempt at non-metalic metal. This is by no means the finished product but I've mostly been a "basecoat, dip, highlight" guy so this is way out of my comfort zone. Any tips/help? I feel like it is turning out chalky, which is not a problem I've had with valejo paints.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Did you prime it? By the looks of the rubbed off areas it seems like it either isn't primed or the primer didn't stick well.

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007

Floppychop posted:

Did you prime it? By the looks of the rubbed off areas it seems like it either isn't primed or the primer didn't stick well.

I did, but I've been handling it extensively and dropped it more than a few times.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

lokipunk posted:

I did, but I've been handling it extensively and dropped it more than a few times.

Get a cork, pill bottle, or something and sticky-tack the base to it. Makes it easier to handle and you don't have to risk rubbing the paint off.

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007

Floppychop posted:

Get a cork, pill bottle, or something and sticky-tack the base to it. Makes it easier to handle and you don't have to risk rubbing the paint off.

Will do, still struggling keeping highlights looking good without just being wonky lines. Edges are easy but like cylinder lines are super awkward and I just kind of smoosh them up.

I really wanted to try a tough technique for shadespire as the warbands are so small I can afford a week of work on each model.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!

Floppychop posted:

or why not the Citadel Buttplug™?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Texmo posted:

Because a cork is free with the purchase of wine or whiskey.

As a bonus you can drink while you paint!

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007

Floppychop posted:

I have a no-drinks-at-the-paint-table rule after the paintbeer incident.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!

Floppychop posted:

use the buttplug, and you have both hands free while painting

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Texmo posted:

oh i've been using this wrong

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

wdarkk posted:

I'm not sure how I feel about the blue/grey samples. Are those actually blue or is that a metallic paint reflecting something?

Thanks! Those are actually blueish greys. And yeah, i'm not so hot on those either right now. I did play around in photoshop a bit and this is what i'm thinking at the moment:

glowy eyes, weapons, engines
sooty vents

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.

lokipunk posted:

First attempt at non-metalic metal. This is by no means the finished product but I've mostly been a "basecoat, dip, highlight" guy so this is way out of my comfort zone. Any tips/help? I feel like it is turning out chalky, which is not a problem I've had with valejo paints.

You're certainly headed in the right direction. In terms of materials problems, you've got a little bit of chalkiness happening, but the majority of the problem that I see is actually paint tearing, especially on the legs. That happens when you try to paint over a layer that's set up but isn't completely dry yet, so you should either be working faster and wet-blending, or slow it down and stick to the layered approach you're using now. The poster that recommended a handle of some sort to mount your model on is also dead on, that'll help you reduce the paint that rubs off as you handle the thing, and give you better control of how you hold it in general. If you use a pill bottle for a handle, I recommend filling it halfway with some sort of weight (coins, sand, whatever dense thing you happen to have lying around) to keep it bottom-heavy and less likely to tip over at the drop of a hat.

In terms of the actual execution of the NMM, the biggest issue that I'm seeing is that your bright highlights are a little too big, and your shadows aren't dark enough to make the highlights really pop. I really like this Ben Komets video on non-metallic gold as a pretty easy to understand visual reference for what I'm talking about here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VepXVggrfiE

As I said, though, you're off to a good start, and some more work put into it will absolutely yield a pleasing result.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Bistromatic posted:

Thanks! Those are actually blueish greys. And yeah, i'm not so hot on those either right now. I did play around in photoshop a bit and this is what i'm thinking at the moment:

sooty vents
I love the scheme! Looks appropriately mysterious and evil-alien without being heavy-handed.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Avenging Dentist posted:

Quick sanity check: can I use mineral spirits for thinning enamel washes?
Generally, yes.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Bistromatic posted:

sooty vents

That looks pretty dang good.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Cross posting my finished Land Raider.

Zuul the Cat posted:

Completed a Deathwatch Landraider. Also pictured is my lotion.

Should I add some stirland mud and fall leaves to the tracks/bottom section?

I feel like it may be a little too dull.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Zuul the Cat posted:

I think some mud on tracks and a bit of chip weathering is always fitting for imperium stuff. Looks super clean though, paint-job wise. Very cool.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007

Zuul the Cat posted:

Not dull; just has that fresh off the line look. I'd recommend another Nuln Oil wash on the tracks and some subtle chipping effects around the ramp and the side skirts before going all-in on mud mix. It's a sharp, clean-looking model that will look great on a table or on display. I think you want to take it slow before betting the farm on the heavy weathering. Maybe add some more purity seals and bits to it.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the tips guys. I was looking for bits to put onto it, but I don't want to put some on that ruin the vibe of it. I'll have to look and see what I have. Anyone know where I can get some 3rd party Deathwatch stuff for vehicles? I can't find anything on shapeways.

I was thinking of doing a thin gold filigree on the recessed khorne red sections.

I'll definitely add some mud and some slight chipping to the ramp/front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
I'm kind of in the same boat as you. Just finished up a Black Templars LRC, and trying to add weathering/character without ruining what is already a pretty decent paint job. I bought some of the Forge World etched brass bits, which look rad against the black hull with some Agrax Earthshade and a gold drybrushing. Black, red, and gold/brass is a top tier color combo IMO.