Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Under previous ownership most of the fork truck operators wouldn't wear their seatbelts because they felt safer at the idea of being able to jump clear if the fork truck was going to go over. Now they wear them because they know if they don't they'll get fired.

I'm guessing that comes from a bunch of older people? Before seatbelts became a common and required thing, it was generally believed to be safer to be thrown from a car crash than to stay in the car. I guess the idea was that the car was likely to just crumple up and crush you, and you had a better chance of living by sliding across the pavement. I remember watching an old highlight reel of an F1 season from the 60s and the narrator is talking about a big crash a driver has and even says "luckily he was thrown clear of the car." Then eventually they started making cars so that the cabin didn't immediately crumple as soon as the car crashed. You can look up a video of a trackday on the nurburgring in the 70s and you will see people loving up corners and rolling their beetles and BMWs and whatever and the doors flap open and passengers and their picnic baskets and whatever fly out of the cars. I don't think anyone in the video is seriously injured.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Oct 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

EKDS5k posted:

This is the lovely part, though. I guess put your arms up and let them take the force?

No, you hold onto the steering wheel and sorta try to brace your legs against the floor.

I haven't tipped in a forklift, but I have laid a tractor against a hillside before. The impact will always throw you towards the ground but the seatbelt will keep your rear end in the chair and the steering wheel ripping out of your hands will at least slow you down. The ROPS will ensure there is plenty of room for your body to flail around in.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
The forks on our mine sites all have harnesses. They're all-terrain machines and regularly work at pretty extreme angles, so it seems prudent.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Honestly the really scary thing is that industry in North America is not exactly known for it's standards of maintaining and repairing things, including the ROPS on a forklift, or even the forklift in general. We have one ancient Caterpillar forklift that smells like a rolling electrical fire in progress and vibrates so badly you spend a shift on it and have the shakes for the rest of the day. The last Toyota 8FGCU25 I drove was 16000 hours young, bucked around, rattled, clapped out mast, condemned rotator (we'd been told to stop using it, didn't stop using it), and had a compromised ROPS. I seriously doubt that isn't the norm for a lot of operators.

Also, side shifters are for cheaters.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Cojawfee posted:

I'm guessing that comes from a bunch of older people? Before seatbelts became a common and required thing, it was generally believed to be safer to be thrown from a car crash than to stay in the car. I guess the idea was that the car was likely to just crumple up and crush you, and you had a better chance of living by sliding across the pavement. I remember watching an old highlight reel of an F1 season from the 60s and the narrator is talking about a big crash a driver has and even says "luckily he was thrown clear of the car." Then eventually they started making cars so that the cabin didn't immediately crumple as soon as the car crashed. You can look up a video of a trackday on the nurburgring in the 70s and you will see people loving up corners and rolling their beetles and BMWs and whatever and the doors flap open and passengers and their picnic baskets and whatever fly out of the cars. I don't think anyone in the video is seriously injured.

Always worth posting when this comes up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtxd27jlZ_g

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I saw one recently where it was a mid-80s Camry vs. a new one. The person in the old car was folded up like an accordion. Phone posting right now but I think it was on the front page of Imgur in the last few days.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Fermented Tinal posted:

No, you hold onto the steering wheel and sorta try to brace your legs against the floor.

I haven't tipped in a forklift, but I have laid a tractor against a hillside before.

Thats pretty much my greatest fear with the terrain I operate tractors on in work, mostly cos im pretty sure if she went over, she wouldnt STOP at laying down with the hills I work on.

I've had the wheels take off on one side before but i was lucky that slamming the bucket of the front end loader on the tractor into the ground and slamming the slasher down hard into the deck pushed her back onto its feet and allowed me to slide it back down the hill to scrape my jocks out.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Cojawfee posted:

TBH it actually was safer then tho and not just a general belief - what with non collapsable steering columns, metal / wood dashes and the what you mentioned with cars turning into lethal deathtraps inside. Physics-wise it plays out well too - if you hit a tree doing 50kph, you hit the steering wheel at 50kph with near zero deacceleration - but if you were thrown out, you had a pretty good chance in tumbling and extending the deacceleration time ... plus just simply not having your chest opened up with a steering column.

So yeah - thrown clear really did equal more chance of surviving.

Actually one of the big issues was the cabin not crumpling - a lot of fatal crashes, the car was easily repaired afterwards. The problem is that the crash energy being transferred to the meat bags inside. Part of the reason for a safety cell is to transfer energy of an accident around the occupants - which is why a lot of times a big old heavy car looks okay and the passenger cell is still good but the occupants are hosed up vs a small car that looks like it' being flattened and the occupants walk out no problem.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Godholio posted:

This is worse, 2 nissans which up until february were sold in different markets. the American Versa and the Mexican Tsuru

https://i.imgur.com/tdMZyDy.mp4

It's almost as if the US has too many regulations that are strangling businesses and hurting the economy.

....wait, no.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Powershift posted:

This is worse, 2 nissans which up until february were sold in different markets. the American Versa and the Mexican Tsuru

It's almost as if the US has too many regulations that are strangling businesses and hurting the economy.

....wait, no.

Jesus loving christ.

After seeing the Malibu one for the 100th time... I... still want a classic car... maybe?.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

The Tsuru was sold in the US too at one point.

... as the B13 Sentra (1991-1995 model years). It's pretty much identical to a 2017 Tsuru, with a few mechanical changes. From wikipedia: Tsuru vehicles destined for the Mexican market were modified by Nissan Mexicana specifically for the Mexican market and for the most part are identical to the 1991 model except for a new Renault clutch/transmission, updated Mexican made electronic systems and minor cosmetic and ergonomic upgrades.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Powershift posted:

....wait, no.

Ahh, thanks, this is the one I was talking about. Thought it was Camrys, guess not.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
I’m just glad no one sperged out and posted the bullshit about that the car was super rusted or didn’t have a drive train, both of which are false.

I have a fond memory of someone in AI (I think) trying to argue with me that crash standards hadn’t changed in like 30 years. Was definitely on SA.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

`Nemesis posted:

I’m just glad no one sperged out and posted the bullshit about that the car was super rusted or didn’t have a drive train, both of which are false.

I have a fond memory of someone in AI (I think) trying to argue with me that crash standards hadn’t changed in like 30 years. Was definitely on SA.

Rusted out is a bit silly, but it's pretty reasonable to at least ask the question about potential rust and it's impact on the structural integrity. Nicely enough they did address it in some article and the puffs were dirt and not structural rust.

Speaking of rust, it would be interesting to see a rusted vs non rusted same model test. Any good ones like that around?

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Godholio posted:

I love that they put fuzzy dice in the Bel Air for this.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Pomp and Circumcized posted:

I love that they put fuzzy dice in the Bel Air for this.

I love all the sand, dirt, and rust that comes out of the fenders as they rip away on the Bel Air

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

`Nemesis posted:

I worked at a crash test facility for a while and we'd get abandoned cars to run the side impact sled into for calibration.

Ha ha ha ha ha holy poo poo does the rust from those suckers go everywhere

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

`Nemesis posted:

I’m just glad no one sperged out and posted the bullshit about that the car was super rusted

It's entirely possible for a car to be structurally rusted to gently caress regarding cabin integrity and still look good to go from the outside. Ask me how I know!

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
There's a long gif of the Nissan one that shows the dummies inside. The one in the newer car is "gently" tossed forward and greeted with an airbag, the one in the red car gets a face full of A pillar.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Breakfast Feud posted:

There's a long gif of the Nissan one that shows the dummies inside. The one in the newer car is "gently" tossed forward and greeted with an airbag, the one in the red car gets a face full of A pillar.

You mean the one that was posted in this thread?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Cojawfee posted:

trackday on the nurburgring in 1970
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xwc54G2Ur8

e: And the Lexus vs '67 LeMans pictures

joat mon fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Oct 27, 2017

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Powershift posted:

....wait, no.

JFC

Altho I did laugh at the centre console / radio becoming a projectile.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I was in a 30MPH head-on collision in a 66 Pontiac in 2000. Wasn't wearing the lap belt; I raised up towards a standing position and the bridge of my nose hit the windshield bow. While the steering column was not collapsible, my gut acted as an organic airbag against the bottom half of the steering wheel itself; the combination of that and the energy dissipated by me raising from my seat is possibly why I had nothing more than a bruised nose & 2-black eyes.

I bent the brake pedal in half with my foot. I apparently hit the brakes before the collision. My foot was somehow uninjured, even though the pedal steel is something like 14-GA.

Yes, I wear a seatbelt now. I was lucky once.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Oct 28, 2017

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ferremit posted:

Thats pretty much my greatest fear with the terrain I operate tractors on in work, mostly cos im pretty sure if she went over, she wouldnt STOP at laying down with the hills I work on.

This is how a friend of mine's step dad died on their little 'farm' it was a pretty steep hill to get the tractor from the garage down to the field. He was pinned under the tractor and no one else was home, I think my friend's mom found him when she came home from work.

Plinkey fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Oct 28, 2017

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

charliemonster42 posted:

You mean the one that was posted in this thread?

Unless i missed it, there's another gif/video that shows a feed from inside the passenger compartents.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

PainterofCrap posted:

I was in a 30MPH head-on collision in a 66 Pontiac in 2000. Wasn't wearing the lap belt; I raised up towards a standing position and the bridge of my nose hit the windshield bow. While the steering column was not collapsible, my gut acted as an organic airbag against the bottom half of the steering wheel itself; the combination of that and the energy dissipated by me raising from my seat is possibly why I had nothing more than a bruised nose & 2-black eyes.

I bent the brake pedal in half with my foot. I apparently hit the brakes before the collision. My foot was somehow uninjured, even though the pedal steel is something like 14-GA.

30 each or combined? Curious how badly I'll be speared my mine in the 66 Vette...apparently GM first started using collapsible columns in 67.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Oct 28, 2017

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Breakfast Feud posted:

Unless i missed it, there's another gif/video that shows a feed from inside the passenger compartents.

It's at the end of the video posted already.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Godholio posted:

30 each or combined? Curious how badly I'll be speared my mine in the 66 Vette...apparently GM first started using collapsible columns in 67.

Needle was sweeping past 35 when the kid turned left in front of me, about 3-carlengths. I had less than a half-second to react. Witnesses heard my wheels lock up; between that and the bent pedal, I knew I had mashed the brakes. So...somewhere between 30-35. The other car, an '85 Topaz, was barely moving. I pushed it backwards a car-length.

Had I been wearing the lap-belt, and I was very fortunate, only my face would have been rearranged. Probably broken ribs too.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Breakfast Feud posted:

You mean the one posted in this thread?

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I think there's a video from the Nissan crash test that shows inside the cars.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Yeah, this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85OysZ_4lp0

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Godholio posted:

.apparently GM first started using collapsible columns in 67.

Yep, I think it's worth the money to retrofit a collapsible steering column. 66 was not collapsible, some 67 GMs were, and all were after that IIRC. Flaming River makes kits for that.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Breakfast Feud posted:

It's in the video posted, but I also saw thing one around.

Look at how badly deformed the head/neck area are on the dummy. :cripes:

https://i.imgur.com/MX5Z1rL.mp4

edit: for comparison

https://i.imgur.com/nlNu6rN.mp4

Memento fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Oct 28, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

PainterofCrap posted:

Sup once lucky buddy?

Was in the back seat of a friend's 240SX when he hit someone who stopped in the middle of the road. TX didn't require back seat passengers to wear seat belts back then. I bounced around the back seat and smacked my head pretty good, but walked away with just a concussion.

He had driven me to buy a new hard drive for my PC (a whole 540MB!) since I was too young to drive still (think I was 14?)... threw the HDD into my PC when I got home, it lasted about 10 minutes before this godawful SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE sound came out of it. I'm gonna guess the accident had something to do with that.

I have a bad habit of taking my seat belt off when I'm approaching a delivery address, but otherwise I always wear mine now.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

wow that one took me a solid 5 seconds to parse. I drove a forklift for a bit in a summer job. I have no idea if it it had seatbelts because we sure as poo poo didn't use them. I also didn't have a forklift license which certainly was mandatory. God bless Fonterra and the 'jobs for the boys' mentality.

The sum total forklift training I recieved was:

"see that big dent up there where the aircon duct is?"
"yep"
"well that's why we don't have air con anymore, don't drive around with the mast up"
"oh"
"what did you say your last name was?"
"REDACTED"
"huh, is REDACTED your brother?"
"yep"
"oh, well that was your brother that made the dent, I hope you're not a gently caress up like him"

slothrop fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Oct 28, 2017

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Couple from the front page of imgur.

Rubber cement and tape.

"I just poured washer fluid in until it was full, and now it won't start?!?"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

What is in windshield washer fluid that would turn the oil into a polymer like that? Or is it just really really foamy? It looks like some kind of gross meringue.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

What is in windshield washer fluid that would turn the oil into a polymer like that? Or is it just really really foamy? It looks like some kind of gross meringue.

It's just an emulsion of oil and water, whisked to mousse by the crankshaft.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Holy loving poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
So it's like engine mayonaise.