Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

https://youtu.be/PGfhtLrwiKo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

soylon posted:

half of my students put two spaces after periods in their papers, is that a thing they teach in high school these days?

It was the standard for printing when it used movable type (so, most of its history). Because of this, it was taught in most typing classes that used typewriters and then transferred into "keyboarding" teaching through sheer momentum. Single spacing is the new standard but many people (including me) were taught the old way and it's muscle memory. If there's good news, it's that HTML collapses multiple spaces so it doesn't matter how many you put in -- it only displays one.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I'm getting tired of seeing people bitching about double spacing. It seems like something only a small number of people would normally care about or notice but now it's trendy since comic sans hate is played out.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Was this an ad for clothes, because I feel like I should be buying some after watching it

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Xibanya posted:

I'm getting tired of seeing people bitching about double spacing. It seems like something only a small number of people would normally care about or notice but now it's trendy since comic sans hate is played out.

Do we not hate comic sans anymore? Man I feel old...

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

I'd never even heard of double spacing until a few years ago. It seems dumb.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

People double-space after periods when typing on a typewriter, because typewriters use a fixed width for every character. The document becomes somewhat more readable by double-spacing.

Double spacing did not start with movable type, because the kerning and spacing of each line was set correctly by the typesetter using spaces of variable width, or with small wedges that would automatically justify the text.

If you're typing on a word processor made after 1984 and using a variable-width font, the computer is already placing the correct space after each period. Double-spacing in this situation is incorrect. Microsoft Word will highlight it as a grammar error, and many other programs will just automatically correct it to a single space.

tl;dr double spacing is always wrong unless you're using a typewriter

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

People double-space after periods when typing on a typewriter, because typewriters use a fixed width for every character. The document becomes somewhat more readable by double-spacing.

Double spacing did not start with movable type, because the kerning and spacing of each line was set correctly by the typesetter using spaces of variable width, or with small wedges that would automatically justify the text.

If you're typing on a word processor made after 1984 and using a variable-width font, the computer is already placing the correct space after each period. Double-spacing in this situation is incorrect. Microsoft Word will highlight it as a grammar error, and many other programs will just automatically correct it to a single space.

It's like pennies, guns, and a fascist police force. American's are obsessed with defending any poo poo thing they've had/done for a few decades and is (now) objectively just 100% wrong to have/do.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Jerry Cotton posted:

It's like pennies, guns, and a fascist police force. American's are obsessed with defending any poo poo thing they've had/done for a few decades and is (now) objectively just 100% wrong to have/do.

Apparently also apostrophes.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

soylon posted:

half of my students put two spaces after periods in their papers, is that a thing they teach in high school these days?

I do it. I was told in school that it was just the way you have to do it and i'm not about to change now.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I was taught to double space, but I don't do it because gently caress YOU MR. SCHWARTZ.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

i was taught to double space but i was also taught to capitalize certain words and use punctuation and we see how well that worked

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
I was never taught to type and learned it myself, so I don't double-space.
I've noticed that my company's lawyer clients always double-space, so it's definitely the lawful evil approach.

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

Honestly never encountered or heard of double spacing after periods until my adult life. I think all my high-school English teachers were barely young enough to not know about it either and didn't teach it. When I did learn about it in college, it was in my design courses where I was told that it was a dumb thing that only makes sense when using a typewriter and you shouldn't do it. When I was working at a print shop, I would remove it from any text that people sent me because I assumed it was just a dumb thing that old people continued to do out of habit and it looked better without it.

In short, you're a dumb idiot if you keep doing it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

My grandmother taught me to type in the 80s, that's where I learned about double spacing after periods

She also proofread a story I wrote and corrected the spelling of Halloween to "Hallowe'en"

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

Microsoft Word will highlight it as a grammar error

No the gently caress it will not. I mean, maybe there is an optional setting, but it doesn't do that out of the box. Not in American English settings at least.

I was taught to double space. My high school still taught typing classes on "word processors" which were glorified typewriters. It's just muscle memory now.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The Bloop posted:

No the gently caress it will not. I mean, maybe there is an optional setting, but it doesn't do that out of the box. Not in American English settings at least.

I was taught to double space. My high school still taught typing classes on "word processors" which were glorified typewriters. It's just muscle memory now.

Well, you're wrong. If you type only in monospaced fonts you can be right again though.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

LMAO if you actually Touch keyboard at any point instead of just dictating your posts

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's kind of too bad that voice typing has gotten so good these days. Like, I got a few errors here and there but I miss the era of raccoon natural speed King

I typed this post with voice recognition, no Corrections

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

Well, you're wrong. If you type only in monospaced fonts you can be right again though.

Someone has sabotaged my copy of MSWord on my home computer, and on my last three work computers! All different versions too! How deep does this conspiracy go?

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

The Bloop posted:

Someone has sabotaged my copy of MSWord on my home computer, and on my last three work computers! All different versions too! How deep does this conspiracy go?

Same.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Most sites will edit out your double spaces. So you've just been wasting precious keystrokes for years

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Lol you nerds and your spacing after periods. Real men have their shell emulators render out all white space so you don’t have your Ruby or python go sideways because of course having a white space sensitive programming language is a good idea.

Solarized and Consolas 4 lyfe yo.

I spent 4+ hours going down a terminal wrapper and coloring hole. Send help.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Warbird posted:

I spent 4+ hours going down a terminal wrapper and coloring hole. Send help.

Follow these instructions to compile the bullet from source

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Fried Watermelon posted:

Most sites will edit out your double spaces. So you've just been wasting precious keystrokes for years

Yeah, but who can't use a little more exercise? I probably burn an extra 10 calories a year with all those extra keystrokes. And my thumb is buff as gently caress.

e: gently caress, this is the meme thread. *googles furiously*

Facebook Aunt has a new favorite as of 20:33 on Oct 29, 2017

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Facebook Aunt posted:

And my pinky finger is buff as gently caress.

Where... where is your spacebar located :confused:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Afaict legal style is still two spaces. It helps with legibility with the crazy amounts of inline citations

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Jerry Cotton posted:

Where... where is your spacebar located :confused:

Thumb, I meant thumb. drat it, I am old and senile. :smith:

Folks have strong feelings about spaces.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niZpcdp2v34

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That’s not how Kyle “The Yellow Dart” Smith was taught to double space

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
LOL at people saying double space after a period is "objectively wrong," like you found some stone tablet saying that under natural law you must only use one space. Just LOL

e: for the record I use two spaces but SA automatically removes them when I post. Do you really want to be on the same side of history as these dead gay forums?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Comptroll The Forums posted:

LOL at people saying double space after a period is "objectively wrong," like you found some stone tablet saying that under natural law you must only use one space. Just LOL

That's actually exactly what happened. I had to read it out of a hat, though, and nobody is allowed to see it.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

gently caress. You.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
Once you start using the double space you realize how drat good it feels to hit the 'bar twice. Sometimes I'll keep writing extra sentences just to keep feeling it. Mmm yeah that's the stuff.

Stex T
Mar 7, 2005

Shut the fuck up and get out. Have fun being a slave of the rich and powerful.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

I feel better not using double space. Feels so much more efficient.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Didn't this one literally get a guy arrested? I never followed up with that meme-related crime.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

The Virgin Doublespace vs The Chad 1-page-long Run-On

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Data Graham posted:

That’s not how Kyle “The Yellow Dart” Smith was taught to double space

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Tab after every sentence, let god sort it out.