Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
They tried to sell us ours for $300, no way am I paying that for used up beretta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Arc Light posted:

My dept just switched from .40 to 9mm. We're allowed to purchase our old Glock 22s. They're pretty well kitted out, with tritium sights and department engraving.

Is the sentimental value of keeping my first duty pistol worth the shame of owning a .40?

How much

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

$300, which includes 3 mags and a case.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
I’ve seen as cheap as $250 for police trade ins but $300 isn’t bad

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

I only put about a hundred rounds through mine, so it's a good deal for $300, I just retch at the idea of using a .40 by choice.

But then again, I'm a total sentimental dweeb, so I'm probably going to cave and buy it so I have something to give my grandkids. Mostly for the bitchin' engraving. My department can't afford tasers, but somehow we can afford this.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Can I buy it from you? Not for myself, but for my bro-in-law who collects firearms with goody origins.

MesquiteLog
Dec 8, 2009

Arc Light posted:

I only put about a hundred rounds through mine, so it's a good deal for $300, I just retch at the idea of using a .40 by choice.

Just get a 9mm conversion barrel for it. Retain sentimentality and have a useful caliber. Not near as good of a deal this way though.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Vahakyla posted:

Can I buy it from you? Not for myself, but for my bro-in-law who collects firearms with goody origins.

I think I'll hold on to mine as a keepsake, but there are a bunch that were unclaimed by their assigned officers. Same make/model/tritium/engraving. They're being sold at a local gun shop. You could probably arrange to buy one and have it shipped to your local FFL, if you're so inclined. I sent you a PM.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
I'm surprised they're selling them. Cue the inevitable stolen or straw purchased gun recovered at a shooting scene proudly emblazoned with the logo.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
I watched the Jim Jeffries Show the other day and was wondering what you cops think of lowering the drinking age to 18?

These are the only countries that require a person to be 21 to drink:

Côte d'Ivoire, Equatorial Guinea, Iraq, Kiribati, Micronesia, Mongolia, Nauru, Oman, Palau, Samoa, Sri Lanka, United States.

https://drinkingage.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=004294

China has no drinking age? :what:

Everyone else is below that or just no booze for anyone cause like god and stuff. The argument that got me wasn't the "you can own a gun(maybe)" or "you can join the military" but the fact that you can get filmed getting fuuuuuucked - like brazzers hosed and that's fine but you can't have a beer after you just had 47 dirty Australians pummeling your shithole for 90 minutes. v:shobon:v

Edit: found the 1st episode of Mike Judges Tales From the Tour Bus: Johnny Paycheck - full episode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgoAJhuEM3M

loving hilarious

Reign Of Pain fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Oct 27, 2017

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

I enlisted in the Air Force as a teenager. My first duty station was in Italy. I was old enough to kill or die for my country, and I could legally (because the drinking age is state law, not federal) go to the local bar and drink, or pick up a six-pack at the base shoppette.

On my first deployment, I crossed paths with a soldier on his way to Iraq. He wasn't yet 21, and he was apparently so scrupulously honest that he'd never had a drink before. His first drinking experience was a few lovely Coronas at Al Udeid Air Base.

I went home to New York to celebrate my 21st birthday. For the week prior to that date, I once again couldn't drink. It was amazingly stupid.

Yes, I'm all for lowering the drinking age. Just about every other developed country makes it work. Hell, we made it work as recently as the Baby Boomer generation. From personal experience, I doubt that the drinking age ever actually stopped teenagers from drinking if they want to. It just keeps them away from bars until they can get a decent fake ID.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

Arc Light posted:

I enlisted in the Air Force as a teenager. My first duty station was in Italy. I was old enough to kill or die for my country, and I could legally (because the drinking age is state law, not federal) go to the local bar and drink, or pick up a six-pack at the base shoppette.

On my first deployment, I crossed paths with a soldier on his way to Iraq. He wasn't yet 21, and he was apparently so scrupulously honest that he'd never had a drink before. His first drinking experience was a few lovely Coronas at Al Udeid Air Base.

I went home to New York to celebrate my 21st birthday. For the week prior to that date, I once again couldn't drink. It was amazingly stupid.

Yes, I'm all for lowering the drinking age. Just about every other developed country makes it work. Hell, we made it work as recently as the Baby Boomer generation. From personal experience, I doubt that the drinking age ever actually stopped teenagers from drinking if they want to. It just keeps them away from bars until they can get a decent fake ID.

I was sooooo disappointed when I heard at the ripe old age of 16 that they were moving the limit to 21 in NY. IIRC they did put a grandfather clause in there though.

Is having a fake ID a felony? Is it just a misdemeanor in most states for a fake DL vs what must be a felony for a fake passport?

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Reign Of Pain posted:

I was sooooo disappointed when I heard at the ripe old age of 16 that they were moving the limit to 21 in NY. IIRC they did put a grandfather clause in there though.

Is having a fake ID a felony? Is it just a misdemeanor in most states for a fake DL vs what must be a felony for a fake passport?

I'm in Louisiana now, so I can't speak for NY, but creating, transferring, or possessing a forged identification card is a felony here. Up to ten years imprisonment and/or $5K fine. Under the applicable statute, drivers' licenses and passports both have equal weight as "symbols of value, right, privilege, or identification." The same law applies to forged money, credit cards, and trademarks.

Edit: ten years is the max. I have no idea what a judge would normally give, but probably less. I suspect the max sentence is more for forgery that results in actual defrauding of a victim.

Double edit: actually, that's just if the prosecutor is a dick. Odds are, the suspect would catch a misdemeanor charge for misrepresentation of their age to obtain an alcoholic beverage, which is just a fine, community service, and 90 day suspension of drivers license.

Arc Light fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Oct 27, 2017

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

Reign Of Pain posted:

I watched the Jim Jeffries Show the other day and was wondering what you cops think of lowering the drinking age to 18?

I'm good with it, as long as we also get the same lower BAC limits and higher penalties for alcohol related offenses that most other countries have. Most of Europe is .03-.05 BAC for DUI, and several countries make it .00 BAC for new or younger drivers regardless of experience. Germany's is the best though, it's technically .05, but if you crash they drop it to .03 :lol:.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
When I went to Spring Break in Cancun there were so many American 18-21 yearolds who really didn't know how to handle their booze and ended up on some corner being sick on themselves while their mates chanted 'Bukkake' and abused the Mexican barstaff, I kept seeing people do dumb poo poo like skull those alcoholic energy drinks at 6pm. By 11pm mostly only the Canadians and Europeans were left standing.

What I'm trying to say is you need to get better at drinking by starting early. Everyone in the UK has been fingered and shitfaced by 14.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Bernard McFacknutah posted:

When I went to Spring Break in Cancun there were so many American 18-21 yearolds who really didn't know how to handle their booze and ended up on some corner being sick on themselves while their mates chanted 'Bukkake' and abused the Mexican barstaff, I kept seeing people do dumb poo poo like skull those alcoholic energy drinks at 6pm. By 11pm mostly only the Canadians and Europeans were left standing.

What I'm trying to say is you need to get better at drinking by starting early. Everyone in the UK has been fingered and shitfaced by 14.

Most people in the states have as well, but the majority of people in the states don't have enough money to vacation in cancun when they're 18-21.

You gotta remember that your type (wealthy people) have hosed over this country so bad that "middle class" doesn't really exist and the median income creeps closer and closer towards the poverty line.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Mr. Nice! posted:

Most people in the states have as well, but the majority of people in the states don't have enough money to vacation in cancun when they're 18-21.

In that case, Americans are loving terrible at holding their booze

Unless there's something being lost in translation here. I suppose I should elaborate that when English people say "drinking", we mean "binge drinking" and by "binge drinking" we mean averaging 15 pints of lager with associated shots

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
No, most teenagers in the states binge drink like motherfuckers, too. The majority of them aren't vacationing in cabo was my point.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

But remember, when it comes to bottled beer, we typically drink 12 oz/355ml servings, as opposed to a proper pint. An American drinking six beers won't get nearly the same level of alcohol in their system as a Briton killing six >500ml bottles.

On a highly related note, I desperately miss living in Fairford and getting smashed on the cheapest digestible beer (hello Spitfire) from Tesco. Cheap US beer is water, cheap UK/German beer is at least still beer.

Arc Light fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Oct 28, 2017

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
No argument there. Can you get forties in the UK?what about stuff like MD 20/20, thunderbird, or night train? I think those are called fortified wines, but that might have just been a texas label.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?

Mr. Nice! posted:

No argument there. Can you get forties in the UK?what about stuff like MD 20/20, thunderbird, or night train? I think those are called fortified wines, but that might have just been a texas label.

No, no, no, those are still fortified wines. They're also hangover city and not worth the feeling you have the next morning and the color of piss.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
but what about my high gravity malt liquor?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
As of this week i am officially a cadet. I now have very strong opinions on Colon Crapperdick that I would love to share while i shine your boots, sirs.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Chichevache posted:

As of this week i am officially a cadet. I now have very strong opinions on Colon Crapperdick that I would love to share while i shine your boots, sirs.

Jesus Christ get some self respect

In general I feel that if a new hire dosen't ell a "senior man" to go gently caress himself during their first year on the job they should be fired for being overly deferential and lacking in confidence

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Arc Light posted:

But remember, when it comes to bottled beer, we typically drink 12 oz/355ml servings, as opposed to a proper pint. An American drinking six beers won't get nearly the same level of alcohol in their system as a Briton killing six >500ml bottles.

On a highly related note, I desperately miss living in Fairford and getting smashed on the cheapest digestible beer (hello Spitfire) from Tesco. Cheap US beer is water, cheap UK/German beer is at least still beer.

That's true if you comparing spitfire to say - bud light, but most American IPAs from smaller breweries will have a lot more ABV compared to what you can get from Tesco. So if you're used to drinking American craft IPAs/stouts/porters/ales, etc. you'll have no problem with a typical English pint.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQSE7STCpSY

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Smiling Jack posted:

Jesus Christ get some self respect

In general I feel that if a new hire dosen't ell a "senior man" to go gently caress himself during their first year on the job they should be fired for being overly deferential and lacking in confidence

Tip for the new kids coming on board.

Don't do this.

Getting off probation should be your only goal. Piss off the wrong person and you're as good as gone when you're on probation

Actually just stay away from this thread entirely and you'll be a lot better off.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Like you haven't told some loving loser who thinks time equals rank to gently caress off

Then again my department dosen't have this weirdo calling rookies "boots" and other stupid poo poo other departments seen to have so ymmv

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Seems like an old and big department like Yours would be super keen on ”tradition” but that’s just from lookinh at fire departments.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?
Fire service: Hundreds of years of tradition unimpeded by progress.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Smiling Jack posted:

Like you haven't told some loving loser who thinks time equals rank to gently caress off

It can be fun. I had a year-long stint of having to tell my boss's boss how wrong he was, getting thrown out of the office or tent or whatever, then being called back in 20-30 minutes later after he'd calmed down. This was a regular occurrence and somehow kind of worked. My boss's boss kind of came to enjoy this dynamic. My boss rater hated it, I think, as he was just trying to get poo poo done.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I'm not talking about actual superiors, but people who think they outrank you due to time in rank.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Smiling Jack posted:

I'm not talking about actual superiors, but people who think they outrank you due to time in rank.

Ugh, unless you have no-poo poo positional authority, if not rank authority, people pulling rank based on time in grade sounds like The Worst.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Hey guys, I’m the senior private here.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
This happens all the time at the IRS. Say your team is seeking volunteers for some cool sounding special project and 5 people say they want to do it for the 1 position available. It will then go by EOD - Enter On Date - the day you started working for the federal government. Whats hosed up about it is that your military service and anywhere else in the government added up is your official EOD. So if you've been at the IRS for 3 weeks but were in the Marines for 20 years you would effectively have seniority over someone in the same grade as you at the IRS that had worked there for 15 years. EOD is also taken into account when there are RIF's(reduction in force) so even though you've only been say a tax examiner for 3 months you could take someones job that had been doing tax examining for 15 years because you drove a tank for 20.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Good gently caress that little office bitch. Give tank guy the “cool” jobs.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I LOVE COCK SALAD posted:

Good gently caress that little office bitch. Give tank guy the “cool” jobs.

:same:

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

40 minutes before shift change, dispatch called out an intoxicated person asleep in the roadway. Found out he had a warrant for domestic abuse battery, and was carrying a bunch of meth and counterfeit money. Blitzed out of his mind and unresponsive.

Took four hours at the hospital before day shift could scrounge up someone to relieve us.

:argh: dispatch

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Smiling Jack posted:

Then again my department dosen't have this weirdo calling rookies "boots" and other stupid poo poo other departments seen to have so ymmv

I agree but just do it after probation.

But I also don't like many of the new people coming on board that think they know everything. gently caress that just as much as the senior guys thinking they've earned anything by doing nothing but collecting a check for 15 years.

The Shep fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Oct 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

The Shep posted:

gently caress the experienced guys for thinking they know anything.

Also gently caress the younger guys for thinking they know anything.