Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Out of all of the judges' levels, I'm really wondering about Nimono. I think his or her grades have been the most questionable by a mile. Ninja Boy might also be interesting due to the whole save stating thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

The judge levels are... Let's just say that they're in for a trip.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Blaze Dragon posted:

I don't get the point of these levels. It's fine to make a harder romhack, it's fine to want to test the players' skills...so long as it is in the right genre. What's the goddamn point of turning Mega Man into a shmup? It doesn't work.
Mega Man 8 did it pretty well, I think.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

EDIT: nevermind

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

FPzero posted:

The levels are all done but now we need to find the postgame. Back to the Blue Switch Palace! (And some other places)

Boy that's a cliffhanger

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

You thought you were done?

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

It's almost guaranteed Ninjaboy has some Kaizo nonsense.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat

Commander Keene posted:

It seems like your Balloon energy keeps counting down during that section, though. Is hitting zero "lose a life and start over"?

Thankfully no, as it checkpoints you several times during the section.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The two biggest problems I have with those shmup sections are
1) The fake bullets. No visual tell for them and there's a weird amoutn of inconsistency with whether or not they actually hit you
2) Rush Jet is slower and clunkier than Balloon. That's just...why

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
As Heavy Sigh noted, there aren't any fake bullets, Megaman's hitbox is just made a lot smaller for the boss fight. It's still poorly-communicated though.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

Augus posted:

2) Rush Jet is slower and clunkier than Balloon.
But you don't get access to weapons when you have the balloon out anyway, and the entire point is for it to be not as good for maneuvering as the balloon.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

:siren: FF6 Rando Part 35 - Secretly Into Beyblades :siren:

Tyty rejoins us as we continue to delve deeper into Kefka's Exdeath's Memoria Tower. Atma gets Atma Weapon'd, skeletons have way too many skulls, and buttons vex me.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Today we take on the third processor and Sonic actually becomes useful.
SMW - Hunters Revenge Revised: Episode 15

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

liquidypoo posted:

:siren: FF6 Rando Part 35 - Secretly Into Beyblades :siren:

Tyty rejoins us as we continue to delve deeper into Kefka's Exdeath's Memoria Tower. Atma gets Atma Weapon'd, skeletons have way too many skulls, and buttons vex me.

Atma's immune to stop! So many wasted turns! :argh:

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Doseku posted:

Today we take on the third processor and Sonic actually becomes useful.
SMW - Hunters Revenge Revised: Episode 15

Your video got blocked in the US.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Thanks for letting me know. I must have missed that part. It has been fixed.
Third time is the charm. This time around any instance of the offending track has been removed.

Episode is lengthy due to major plot progression as we gain access to the final world.
Subtitles are back due to moving into a new place and having house mates.

SMW - Hunters Revenge Revised: Episode 15 The third

Doseku fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 22, 2017

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Doseku posted:

Thanks for letting me know. I must have missed that part. It has been fixed.
SMW - Hunters Revenge Revised: Episode 15 (fixed)

Victor Entertainment's still got it out for you. :(

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's time to start Cossack 2, and what better way to start it off than with some Disappearing Blocks?

Rockman 4 Minus Infinity #10: Little Laboratory
(Heavy Sigh, Kalonzombie, and Shinryu)

Oh, and maybe throw in some QuickBeams for Hard Mode?

Rockman 4 Minus Infinity Hard Mode #10: Hero Megaman in the Cossack Laboratory
(Heavy Sigh, shinryu, Word On The Wind, dijondujour and Terror Van)

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat

Cheez posted:

But you don't get access to weapons when you have the balloon out anyway, and the entire point is for it to be not as good for maneuvering as the balloon.

I don't think anyone would enjoy a gradius where you have to choose between dodging attacks or shooting in anything other than a straight line.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

I don't know what's stopping you from dodging now. I got along just fine even on my first time around.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I'm sure I've heard that stage music before. What is it?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mak0rz posted:

I'm sure I've heard that stage music before. What is it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NY9okTTABus apparently

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Okay this is odd because I'm pretty sure I've never played that.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

:siren: FF6 Rando Part 36 - Oh, It's a Rat Stack :siren:

Tyty bears with us as I continue to fumble around the tower. We fight a couple bosses, I forget how an obvious button puzzle works, and I take advantage of an in-engine exploit to basically no profit whatsoever.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

liquidypoo posted:

:siren: FF6 Rando Part 36 - Oh, It's a Rat Stack :siren:

Tyty bears with us as I continue to fumble around the tower. We fight a couple bosses, I forget how an obvious button puzzle works, and I take advantage of an in-engine exploit to basically no profit whatsoever.

I'm so glad the game supports group hugs as part of Cover. :allears:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

A short but important update

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Time to finish this LP. It's the beginning of the end.

Tyty is still mad about this one. He haaaaates variable Layer 2 scrolling. When specifically asked on the record exactly how much he hates the scrolling, he said, "I absolutely despise it."

Level's not even that long, it's just frustrating and easy to mess up in. It also doesn't help that it was past midnight at this point with no end in sight. And I even cut out a good 10 minutes from this level too.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

That level is complete garbage.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

That's kinda nauseating to look at

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

FPzero posted:

Time to finish this LP. It's the beginning of the end.

Tyty is still mad about this one. He haaaaates variable Layer 2 scrolling. When specifically asked on the record exactly how much he hates the scrolling, he said, "I absolutely despise it."

Level's not even that long, it's just frustrating and easy to mess up in. It also doesn't help that it was past midnight at this point with no end in sight. And I even cut out a good 10 minutes from this level too.

Augus posted:

That's kinda nauseating to look at
Yes it is, as someone who gets motion sick easily this was getting damned close to setting me off.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Watching this video and my mouth is just hanging open in shock. I'm only a third of the way through the video and the level keeps topping itself in crappiness.

Though now I don't feel quite so bad about a level I made while tooling around with LunarMagic a few weeks ago. Because at least it's not that.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I don't understand how the secret works.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Thank you for vocalizing your issue with tech or "creativity" over actual level design. It always plagues contests and collabs (USS Suboptimal says hello) and now everything being shown off about the SMBX 2.0 project just screams this. They added like a million characters but they're all terrible gimmick characters that make Link look like just a Mario recolor, and they just keep showing off dumb things you can do with tech, as opposed to actual neat game design things.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
That level is so bad, jeez. How could someone who thinks that is good design be a good judge of anything? And the rest are pretty bad as well....? God.

Anyway, regarding Ty's complaints re secret exits, I sorta agree but I think they could have a use if done well even in a contest like this, albeit as a bonus or whatever. It's very level dependent in the first place, but something like the line cutting level could have one and it not be weird or gratuitous, I think. If the regular level is a "okay, so here's this concept that I'm building the level around, it's short and simple so you can get used to it" then you can have the secret exit be an actual challenge of the skills the level teaches you. It still has the issues of being awkward to get to, and basically just being a way to play the level twice but at least it's testing you in a way that "drag the P switch across the entire level" and "go down this one pipe" don't. So, I guess less of a secret and more of a system mastery kinda thing.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Those who can, do. Those who can't, judge, apparently.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Just because the level was kinda cool in concept, speaking as someone who'd never seen layer 2 scrolling like that before, doesn't mean that the level wasn't complete rear end.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

I really don't see the problem with the level that makes it worth all the yelling. The gimmick is well put together and doesn't look hard to play either. One of you got really mad about the idea of having to backtrack a tiny bit to continue onwards after screwing something up... But how different is that from screwing up a normal thing and having to walk back a little? It's really just not as bad as you want it to be. There was ONE section that had a bit of a hangup because it wasn't very easy to move.

Fun is a subjective thing. You're averse to something that would be fun to many other people. That does not make it unfun. In this video alone you've complained about every single application of layer 2 obstacles. It's not the levels, it's you.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I thought the mechanic was interesting but like... it didn't feel like it fits well with Mario or with the rest of the level, really. Plus it seems like the sort of thing you couldn't ever hope to beat if you weren't already super down with the various engine quirks. Which, to me, is always a down mark.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Cheez posted:

I really don't see the problem with the level that makes it worth all the yelling. The gimmick is well put together and doesn't look hard to play either. One of you got really mad about the idea of having to backtrack a tiny bit to continue onwards after screwing something up... But how different is that from screwing up a normal thing and having to walk back a little? It's really just not as bad as you want it to be. There was ONE section that had a bit of a hangup because it wasn't very easy to move.

Fun is a subjective thing. You're averse to something that would be fun to many other people. That does not make it unfun. In this video alone you've complained about every single application of layer 2 obstacles. It's not the levels, it's you.

Nah this level is total trash and you have bad taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Because deciding you are always right and it's everyone else who is wrong always goes well.

• Locked thread