Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Not Operator posted:

How does the thread think DR3 compares to the first two anyway?

I started playing it, and I'm sure I'll go back to it eventually, but I finished the first trial and when I realised we were going to be playing as the boy detective I kinda lost some interest.

e: yeah what he said.

I really did not like this either for a bunch of reasons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You're not supposed to like it, that's kind of the point.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I think i'm finally going to start DR3 tonight. looking forward to the ep 1 twist that everyone has mentioned. If it's anything like the nagito twist at the start of chapter 2 in DR2, I'll like it

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

You're not supposed to like it, that's kind of the point.

No I mean from a storytelling and video game making perspective, not "this was sad"

To be more specific:

1. Other games have played with the "you the PC were the killer" thing but they always are pretty careful that you are not actually in control of the PC during the parts where he/she does the crime. In other games where you were the bad guy all along that I've played, which I won't list here in case you haven't played them, you are not in control of the bad guy during the part where they are the bad guy. Having an unreliable FPS narrator is dumb if they are unreliable while you are controlling them the whole time. I realize it does the "ha ha I dropped everything I was carrying get it :)" dialogue but that's a cop out.
2. Having a girl sacrifice herself so that the male main character actualizes in some way is dumb and a bad trope
3. It would have been cool to play as a girl for once

I actually did like how the crime was committed though, I felt like it was cool and could be figured out without going to trial first which is rare in those games

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Oct 28, 2017

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Not Operator posted:

How does the thread think DR3 compares to the first two anyway?

I think it is the best Danganronpa. It has my favorite characters, and the trials are really good. The soundtrack kicks serious rear end, and I liked the controversial portions as well.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Ah drat I accidentally moused over that spoiler absentmindedly, no more than a second, but it was enough to read the first bit.

So I pulled the trigger and ordered DR3 and I'm pretty excited. I loved the first two and it sounds like this one is as good or possibly better than the first two. The ending sounds like it's gonna be a love it or hate it thing, but it should be a fun time either way.

I knew I was gonna get my money's worth with this Vita, with such fine titles as Danganronpa 1, Danganronpa 2, Danganronpa 3, and uh

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

tweet my meat posted:

Ah drat I accidentally moused over that spoiler absentmindedly, no more than a second, but it was enough to read the first bit.

So I pulled the trigger and ordered DR3 and I'm pretty excited. I loved the first two and it sounds like this one is as good or possibly better than the first two. The ending sounds like it's gonna be a love it or hate it thing, but it should be a fun time either way.

I knew I was gonna get my money's worth with this Vita, with such fine titles as Danganronpa 1, Danganronpa 2, Danganronpa 3, and uh

Stein's Gate is better than all 3 of them put together imo

And I don't even dislike DR

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Stefan Prodan posted:

That's a weird way to spell Virtue's Last Reward (s;g also owns though, yes).

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I think S;G is better than all the DRs and all the Zero Escapes just because it actually has good and pretty developed characters, except for Daru.

All of the characters in DR are one-note cardboard cutouts for the most part and same with the Zero Escape games. Like, interesting things happen to those cardboard cutouts so it makes them worth playing but they really aren't all that good as characters.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
I like the 'main' Zero Escape characters but the plots are so overwrought that it retroactively ruins them for me.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Daru has like one or two decent moments in S;G 0 but overall I've never really known what to do with him. He feels super extraneous to me, no matter what version of the story we're talking about.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Suzuha is legit one of the coolest characters in any visual novel

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Sea Sponge Run posted:

I think she was easily the best part of S;G 0, too. Granted there wasn't much else positive I can say about that game but she was one of them.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I have reached chapter 2 of DR3 and i don't like the twist. the 2 most interesting characters are killed off. The boy detective isn't interesting
I too have lost interest in DR3 now

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Keep playing.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Sea Sponge Run posted:

Absolutely, I love suzuha

If she is a prominent character in 0 maybe I should play that

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Only of you enjoy them completely retconing her backstory.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Well, it's a different Suzuha from the one shown throughout S;G pre-true ending. She's still badass.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Suzuha owns, a lot

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.

Stefan Prodan posted:

Just finished and then 100%'d S;G last week and was so struck by how good it is on every level that I'm now kind of pissed because I feel like its caliber of execution has proactively ruined most other VNs for me.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Steins;Gate is not necessarily my favorite VN but I'd still rate it drat high and at the very least I can't immediately think of a VN that executes its endgame/ending as well as S;G's did. It ends in such a satisfactory manner that the mere idea of any sort of sequel / follow up feels like a waste of time, and sure enough we get S;G 0 which added essentially nothing to the equation.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I've been reading Higurashi ch 1 for Halloween. I watched the anime so it's a nice expansion on characters I already like but I'm not sure I want to bother past ch 1 until I can get the rest of it in 1 shot.

Quick Umineko question while I'm thinking of it. The "witch fight" or Beatrice showing off her powers is Chapter 4 right? I remember that decently so I can just start reading again when Chiru comes out?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Irritated Goat posted:

Quick Umineko question while I'm thinking of it. The "witch fight" or Beatrice showing off her powers is Chapter 4 right? I remember that decently so I can just start reading again when Chiru comes out?
I think that's EP3, if you mean the Beatrice vs. Virgilia fight, as that was when Virgilia was introduced. But given the type of story that Umineko is there could be other, similar events that you're thinking of.

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.
Speed metal going hard in this intro to Dies Irae.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Nate RFB posted:

I think that's EP3, if you mean the Beatrice vs. Virgilia fight, as that was when Virgilia was introduced. But given the type of story that Umineko is there could be other, similar events that you're thinking of.

No, I'm pretty sure you're right. I may need to reread episode 4 then to find my place. I was reading back when Witch Hunt was doing translations and Chiru was actually coming out so it's been quite some time.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I finally put down ELEX and SMO and Destiny 2 long enough to do Class Trial 2 in DRv3.

The game really loving faked me out with a line of foreshadowing before the body is found: I didn't get to train with Kaito tonight. But oh well, it's not like it's the last opportunity I'll have to hang out with him!" I had 4 out of 5 levels of the relationship and was absolutely convinced they'd bite it before I got another chance at free time.

...then I get their skill and realize it's for the easy/weird taxi prostitute question minigame. drat.

Also, I haven't gone back to the others to check, but...is DRv3 a million times more finicky than the first two games were regarding aim during Debate Time or whatever? I swear, sometimes I'm blasting truth bullets and they seem to slip between the spaces in words or miss above/below by like two pixels, and I don't think I ever had this much trouble before.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Just beat Trial 1 in DR3 and I'm really upset that we have to play as the boring mopey loser instead of Kaede who is cool as poo poo. I thought this game might actually buck the trend and have an actually interesting protagonist, but Danganronpa once again subverts expectations. Also holy poo poo that murder method was stupid as poo poo, just one gently caress up on the engineering of it or like an inch difference in where the guy was standing and the ball either completely whiffs or only injures him. I hope the rest of the cases pick up from here, because I really wasn't impressed. They also seem to be continuing the route of piling as many different minigames as possible into the trials which is pretty lame.

Also why the gently caress does the right stick bring up that useless response wheel thing? I'm constantly brushing my thumb against it accidentally and making remarks instead of actually forwarding dialogue, it's incredibly annoying. Does it actually serve a purpose later?

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

tweet my meat posted:

Also why the gently caress does the right stick bring up that useless response wheel thing? I'm constantly brushing my thumb against it accidentally and making remarks instead of actually forwarding dialogue, it's incredibly annoying. Does it actually serve a purpose later?

No. It never serves a purpose.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
I've only just started it, but it immediately felt as though they redesigned the UI just to make it different, and it really suffers as a result.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

tweet my meat posted:

Just beat Trial 1 in DR3 and I'm really upset that we have to play as the boring mopey loser instead of Kaede who is cool as poo poo. I thought this game might actually buck the trend and have an actually interesting protagonist, but Danganronpa once again subverts expectations. Also holy poo poo that murder method was stupid as poo poo, just one gently caress up on the engineering of it or like an inch difference in where the guy was standing and the ball either completely whiffs or only injures him. I hope the rest of the cases pick up from here, because I really wasn't impressed. They also seem to be continuing the route of piling as many different minigames as possible into the trials which is pretty lame.

The wheel is an in-joke because it's seen as rude in Japan to sit there saying nothing instead of going 'uh huh' 'I see' while people are telling you something and earlier protags got called out on it so they added that so you could make interjections if you want.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Little Busters! is out on steam, it's on sale for the first week

http://store.steampowered.com/app/635940/

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Sakurazuka posted:

The wheel is an in-joke because it's seen as rude in Japan to sit there saying nothing instead of going 'uh huh' 'I see' while people are telling you something and earlier protags got called out on it so they added that so you could make interjections if you want.

It wouldn't be that bad if they didn't make it prevent you from advancing dialogue for a second after you accidentally make a remark, but it does and holy poo poo it sucks. I've found myself having to use the touchscreen instead of the buttons to avoid brushing the right stick.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

astr0man posted:

Little Busters! is out on steam, it's on sale for the first week

http://store.steampowered.com/app/635940/
You have an insane backlog ahead of you LB, but there is a decent chance I follow through someday on my promise to replay you when those extra routes got translated.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
DR3 case 2

Someone making this game must have been bullied by an interesting person as a kid, because so far the MO seems to be killing off the interesting characters as fast as possible so we're left with nothing but the lame ones. 2 trials in and the 4 characters I found the most compelling are gone. My guess for the next trial is that Maki and the Anthropologist guy bite it, since they're about the only characters I really like all that much remaining. I guess Angie is pretty great and the liar dude keeps things interesting, but I really can't seem to get invested in the other characters.

Also god drat these pointless minigames are starting to drag down the trials. I didn't mind it as much before but they just keep introducing more and more minigames that have less and less to do with the trial. The mind mine and weird rear end driving minigame seem to ask incredibly basic logic questions and instead choose to focus more on the minigame aspect, and neither of them are fun. If it was a way to make deductions a lot more frantic like the panic debates then I'd be fine with them, but I'm just playing a bad version of outrun and a lovely puzzle game instead.

I really hope the game gets better soon, because there's really not gonna be anything left for me to care about at this pace. The protagonist is boring now, the other good characters keep dying off, the monokubs are around way too much to not be annoying, and the trials are focusing more and more on minigames instead of logic.

That being said, the soundtrack continues to be amazing, the actual logic based minigames are great, and I do really like the murder method in the second case. If the game does pick up, I'll probably wind up coming around on it because the good stuff is very good.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I think the minigames were worse in DR2 myself, shrug

Nothing slowed down the trial like Logic Dive or, god forbid, "Improved" Hangman's Gambit.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Sea Sponge Run posted:

I think the minigames were worse in DR2 myself, shrug

Nothing slowed down the trial like Logic Dive or, god forbid, "Improved" Hangman's Gambit.

Man I found psychic taxi way more of a drag than logic drive.

The "improved" hangman's gambit was horrendous though.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.

theblackw0lf posted:

Man I found psychic taxi way more of a drag than logic drive.

The "improved" hangman's gambit was horrendous though.

Yeah I found the games in this one to be the worst. I gave up on 100% because doing those games over and over to try and perfect them when they aren't even fun is a waste of my time.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Case 3 of DR3 was a weird ride.

I was stoked that it would be a locked room mystery, then disappointed that the locking part was so easy to solve, then the second murder caught my interest before leading to the most ridiculously obvious culprit across all three games so far.. It was almost like the hardest part of the trial was sitting there watching everyone debate when they obviously had enough evidence from the word "go" to make some really solid conclusions.

Also, I'm enjoying the mini games in this one, although it's frustrating to have to do a mining segment or a psychic taxi only to then immediately need to spell pretty much the same thing out in Hangman's Gambit.

....that said, the interstitial arc plot of this game is wayyyy more compelling to me than the other games'.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Nate RFB posted:

I think she was easily the best part of S;G 0, too. Granted there wasn't much else positive I can say about that game but she was one of them.

The best part of S;G 0 is Okabe getting thrown back into the alpha attractor field (and talking with old-sprite Kurisu) only to find out his life is miserable and the group is unofficially disbanded after Mayuri dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
Is it ok to talk about the All Ages Versions (Steam Versions for example) of games that are otherwise NSFW?

MUV-LUV, G-Senjou no Maou, etc?