Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

jackpot posted:

Leather gains a patina as it ages, so it darkens. Watchbands, wallets, whatever. Can that be removed without badly damaging the leather? My iphone case has gotten so dark that you can barely tell what it used to look like, and I'd like to bring it back closer to the way it used to be.

Try gently cleaning it with standard pencil eraser type material. If you're in a situation where it's going to work at all, you'll see relatively quickly. Otherwise, gentle cleansing with a small amount of soap and water and a soft cloth may also be used for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Cingulate posted:

I've run down a pair of shoes. I'd like to get the same thing again. However, I can't figure out what size these are! They're Adidas Samba, for what it's worth. How can I find out which size to buy, without leaving the house? You really don't want to burden the outside world with my presence.

Do you have a history with the store where you brought them? They may have your foot details on file.

Failing that, maybe ring a store, explain the situation and then post them the old shoes.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

504 posted:

Do you have a history with the store where you brought them? They may have your foot details on file.

Failing that, maybe ring a store, explain the situation and then post them the old shoes.
If I'm willing to leave the house and enter the store, I can just put on actual shoes ... The point is, I have my ruined shoes here, and also, uh, a cellphone and my feet and I guess some sort of ruler. And it's in the middle of the night here. Thought there was an option.

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009
Is the tongue (the bit that the shoelaces crisscross over) of both shoes is completely worn out? There's a size there on my Brooks running shoes. I don't really know to what extent you've ruined your shoes. Did they end up in a furnace or woodchipper?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cingulate posted:

If I'm willing to leave the house and enter the store, I can just put on actual shoes ... The point is, I have my ruined shoes here, and also, uh, a cellphone and my feet and I guess some sort of ruler. And it's in the middle of the night here. Thought there was an option.

If you don't mind ruining the shoe further, rip out the sole and measure its length, there should be a convertor for the size to that length.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks everyone, I found a second pair of shoes of the same type where a tiny label is still readable. I'm an Euro 44 fyi

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

jackpot posted:

Leather gains a patina as it ages, so it darkens. Watchbands, wallets, whatever. Can that be removed without badly damaging the leather? My iphone case has gotten so dark that you can barely tell what it used to look like, and I'd like to bring it back closer to the way it used to be.

I'm going to assume this is more like untreated leather, so saddle soap. If it's more like a car seat Leatherique.

Although for the price of a phone case I'm gonna say neither is worth the trouble, and it's gonna come right back, especially if it's untreated.

revolther
May 27, 2008
I have an ISI cream whipper that takes N20 cartridges/chargers, I've read online it's fine to use same size C02 cartridges/chargers in it to make small servings of carbonated beverages. Anyone have experience with this or knowledge regarding compatibility or dangers?

Along the same regard, does anyone know if a small pressure gauge/regulator could work in this situation to experiment with the size of my CO2 bubbles for douchey reasons like "mixology"?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

A couple of times now when I've had my stove or oven on at the same time as my kettle it's tripped the safety switch and turned off my power. Either one on its own seems perfectly fine, it's only the two together that's done it. Is this likely to be a problem with one or the other of those two devices or some underlying problem with how the place is wired or is it impossible to tell?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Tiggum posted:

A couple of times now when I've had my stove or oven on at the same time as my kettle it's tripped the safety switch and turned off my power. Either one on its own seems perfectly fine, it's only the two together that's done it. Is this likely to be a problem with one or the other of those two devices or some underlying problem with how the place is wired or is it impossible to tell?

Is your stove electric? It probably just means your breaker switch (or whatever) is working properly.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Tiggum posted:

How the place is wired. Not much you can do about it unless you get an electrician.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
If I’m moving and using a moving service, what’s the best way to (financially) insure against furniture damage in transit? I have some extremely expensive pieces and want reimbursement or replacement if damaged (everything still commonly available to buy, so values are all known).

Is this covered in renters insurance? Does the mover normally insure my pieces in transit? Is there a temporary policy or something else I need instead?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Moving insurance is a thing, yeah. Another option is Goods In Transit insurance, which some homeowners' insurance providers offer as a rider for an additional cost.

AlbieQuirky fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Oct 28, 2017

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

dirby posted:

Is your stove electric? It probably just means your breaker switch (or whatever) is working properly.
Yeah, electric oven/stove.

PRADA SLUT posted:

How the place is wired. Not much you can do about it unless you get an electrician.
I'm renting, so I guess this is something the owner would have to do, and aren't likely to seeing as how the simpler solution is apparently just "don't use the kettle and stove at the same time then".

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Tiggum posted:

Try plugging the kettle into a different outlet, the combined draw is probably just too much for one breaker and it's tripping.

It's weird that an outlet would be on the same circuit as the oven though, usually high-load stuff like ranges or electric dryers get a dedicated circuit with nothing else on it. Strange setup, but it's working as intended.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Enourmo posted:

It's weird that an outlet would be on the same circuit as the oven though, usually high-load stuff like ranges or electric dryers get a dedicated circuit with nothing else on it. Strange setup, but it's working as intended.
It's actually a benchtop oven/stove that plugs into the wall outlet.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Tiggum posted:

It's actually a benchtop oven/stove that plugs into the wall outlet.

Ahhh, that'll be why. No way a normal 15A circuit is gonna run 2 high-wattage heaters at the same time.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

PRADA SLUT posted:

If I’m moving and using a moving service, what’s the best way to (financially) insure against furniture damage in transit? I have some extremely expensive pieces and want reimbursement or replacement if damaged (everything still commonly available to buy, so values are all known).

Is this covered in renters insurance? Does the mover normally insure my pieces in transit? Is there a temporary policy or something else I need instead?

I have heard just enough stories of people being scammed and having literally everything they own get stolen by dodgy removal companies that I would always look into some kind of removal insurance.

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Is that old punk'd show 'real'? Why does everyone sound like they're wearing a mic?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Usually those shows tell the prank victims that they're going to be on a fake show about something else. So they do get miked up and expect a camera around.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I take these vitamin pills. Can someone tell me what ingredient it is in the pill that basically sends my libido into overdrive? When I'm not taking these pills, I'm good, I'm pretty sure I'm an above average libido sort of person. But when I'm on these pills, it's kinda crazy. It's only when I'm on these pills, other multivitamins I take don't have this effect.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Oct 29, 2017

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Q8ee posted:

I take Opti-men vitamin pills. Can someone tell me what ingredient it is in the pill that basically sends my libido into overdrive? When I'm not taking these pills, I'm good, I'm pretty sure I'm an above average libido sort of person. But when I'm on these pills, it's kinda crazy. It's only when I'm on these pills, other multivitamins I take don't have this effect.

So how much did they pay you?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

So how much did they pay you?

If you think I'm a shill, I'll happily remove the brand name.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Q8ee posted:

I take these vitamin pills. Can someone tell me what ingredient it is in the pill that basically sends my libido into overdrive? When I'm not taking these pills, I'm good, I'm pretty sure I'm an above average libido sort of person. But when I'm on these pills, it's kinda crazy. It's only when I'm on these pills, other multivitamins I take don't have this effect.
Try comparing the list with other multivitamins and see whats on this one that isn't on the others. If nothing try looking if something is in a much higher quantity. If still nothing it might be the particular source of vitamin X, so look at ingredients instead of nutrition facts.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Q8ee posted:

If you think I'm a shill, I'll happily remove the brand name.

I was just loving around haha.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Xenoborg posted:

Try comparing the list with other multivitamins and see whats on this one that isn't on the others. If nothing try looking if something is in a much higher quantity. If still nothing it might be the particular source of vitamin X, so look at ingredients instead of nutrition facts.

That's the best way to do it. Was hoping there'd be a chemical whizz who'd make my job easier.

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

I was just loving around haha.

you can never tell on these forums, but I get about $2.50 for everyone who searches the pills and orders if they came from this site.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Super Fan posted:

Is that old punk'd show 'real'? Why does everyone sound like they're wearing a mic?

fishmech posted:

Usually those shows tell the prank victims that they're going to be on a fake show about something else. So they do get miked up and expect a camera around.
While this sounds stupid and unbelievable, remember that this show started airing in 2003, and it was more believable back then.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Q8ee posted:

Maybe the zinc? Zinc leads to huge ejaculate loads so maybe it’s connected?

You should like do a blind study on yourself though. Take the pills out of the bottle and like mask their appearance and take them for one week and then other pills for another week and randomize this somehow and keep a journal.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

tuyop posted:

Maybe the zinc? Zinc leads to huge ejaculate loads so maybe it’s connected?

You should like do a blind study on yourself though. Take the pills out of the bottle and like mask their appearance and take them for one week and then other pills for another week and randomize this somehow and keep a journal.

Is there any point though, since I know for a fact these pills definitely have an effect on libido? When I'm taking other multivits, I'm pretty much "normal". I figured it'd be one of the goofy extracts at the bottom increasing libido, but maybe it's just the increased RI's for zinc and all the other micronutrients. I can take my other multivits and I won't really feel different. But after taking these ones, I'll wake up the next day and definitely notice a difference and just feel a bit more antsy.

I have Centrum Men which I take sometimes for a week or so, then I go back to the Optimen ones. I usually take the Centrum cause I get tired of feeling like a rabbit for so many days in a row, and Centrum doesn't give that effect.

The RI %'s for Centrum seem a lot lower, so it could just be down to a higher % of micronutrients or something. Just something I was thinking about, figured someone here would chemist the poo poo out of this and explain exactly why this happens.

Comrade Milton
Jul 16, 2005
So, I have Windows 10. I have a grouping of KeyPass databases of passwords. I'd like to automate the process of backing them up to various locations including Amazon S3, an SD card always inserted for small backups, perhaps Google Drive and so on.

I want to have them 7z and then encrypted via GPG before they're transferred anywhere. Does anyone either know the proper command argument OR batch file OR PowerShell commands and how to jam them into something I can put into an automated backup system?

Or perhaps the link to somewhere that explains how to do it?

I've been googling for a few days and I can't seem to find anything like what I describe there, but I have little experience scripting in stuff, especially outside of Linux.

So yeah, help, please, anyone?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Q8ee posted:

Is there any point though, since I know for a fact these pills definitely have an effect on libido?

Placebo effect is real, correlation is not causation, etc

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Q8ee posted:

Is there any point though, since I know for a fact these pills definitely have an effect on libido?

The point is that you don’t know that at all. Until you do a blind test for a long enough period where the only variable that could change with libido is multivitamin ingredients.

I’m telling you this is probably the placebo effect and if you want to believe that your supplements have magic mood effects, power to you, man.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Super Fan posted:

I'd say yes, moreso than other reality shows
This is based on 3 pieces of *cough* evidence..

They are obviously going to mic and wire a location to be able to hear the comments made by the victims, also they do use subtitles.

The play jokes that are short and not funny, if it was a set up there would be many less duds.

There has been occasions where pranks have spiraled out of control and people have been hurt/assaulted.

As a matter of interest do you ever wonder why Ali G guests were not tipped off by the ridicous questions?

Guests were "primed" before filming by being told they were being asked test questions, these would be so utterly and deliberately innane and stupid that the questions asked during filming seemed normal by comparison, Americans should be proud that the current president didn't fall for it and walked off the show telling them he knew it was a joke.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I don’t own an iron.

My dress shirts have a very defined crease from the way they were folded when I bought them.

I have washed them on every cycle my washer has.

I have dried them with no heat.

I don’t want to dry them with heat.

I have hung them up to dry.

I cannot get these creases out.

Help.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I don't know what advice you're expecting people to give you when the obvious answer is "get an iron". that or steam the creases out. even if you dried them with heat (which you don't want to do) there'd still be creases.

or you could take them to a shop (I forget the name, not laundromat) where they can steam it for you. dry cleaners?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I figured as much. I was just hoping there was a low effort and $0 solution.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Does Google voice's number porting work for Canada? I want to get a local number for job hunting reasons but I don't want to change my number yet.

E: or do I just get a google voice number and just put the app on my phone?

Jyrraeth fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 29, 2017

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Hang the shirts somewhere in the washroom and take a long hot shower. This helps with wrinkled shirts, might work on the creases too.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Fruits of the sea posted:

Hang the shirts somewhere in the washroom and take a long hot shower. This helps with wrinkled shirts, might work on the creases too.

Nope, it doesn't. you either iron them yourself or you pay someone else to iron them for you, there is no other way to get the creases out of a dress shirt that was folded for two months before you bought it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

I figured as much. I was just hoping there was a low effort and $0 solution.
Borrow an iron.