Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Fish Noise posted:

I think the death and disease parts of the fishkeeping parade around here are being hogged by Azuth and Stoca Zola right now.

Much to my amazement my little guys are still all alive. The Furan -2 arrived today, shipped from Canada. Now my major debate is, do I start treating with it straight away, or do I wait for the kanaplex and do both? I keep coming across info that says they work in a synergy that is not well understood and sometimes that combo is the only thing that wipes out columnaris. But I guess I have enough packets of Furan2 that if I drop the tank level to 10 gallons I can get 2 full courses of 4 days out of it. Maybe do 4 days and if it doesn't work, hold off for the kanaplex to arrive and get 4 more days of both meds? It's pretty lovely that all I'm doing so far is buying time for me to try to poison my fish a different way. This time, the chemical causes breast cancer in mammals! No wonder its loving banned :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Stoca Zola posted:

Much to my amazement my little guys are still all alive. The Furan -2 arrived today, shipped from Canada. Now my major debate is, do I start treating with it straight away, or do I wait for the kanaplex and do both? I keep coming across info that says they work in a synergy that is not well understood and sometimes that combo is the only thing that wipes out columnaris. But I guess I have enough packets of Furan2 that if I drop the tank level to 10 gallons I can get 2 full courses of 4 days out of it. Maybe do 4 days and if it doesn't work, hold off for the kanaplex to arrive and get 4 more days of both meds? It's pretty lovely that all I'm doing so far is buying time for me to try to poison my fish a different way. This time, the chemical causes breast cancer in mammals! No wonder its loving banned :psyduck:

Both, do both and follow the instructions religiously.

My dwarf puffers have been slaughtering malaysian trumpet snails in my plant grow out tank. One of the little guys flung a snail across the tank then slurped it out of the shell. These guys are awesome, makes my morning coffee so much more interesting.

Azuth0667 fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Oct 25, 2017

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Do you mean "both" as in both treat now and treat again later? Or do you mean do not treat now, and only treat with both? Edit: I guess my deal is, I don't know for sure that this is columnaris, just that it does not respond to malachite green, salt, triple sulfa, tetracycline, methylene blue, acriflavine or aminocrine.

I don't know how much longer these poor dudes can last and there is no shipping update on the kanaplex, like nothing for a whole week. I don't know how long I'll be waiting. Extra edit: shiiiiiiiit the worst case shipping estimate has another 2 weeks before delivery and I do not think anything will survive that long. I think I'm going to use half of what I've got and hope for the best :(

We can't get puffers here, only local SW puffers I guess. So instead I have yoyo loaches zooming around with snails on the ends of their noses and clacking excitedly. I kind of feel bad for the snails but not THAT bad. Those loaches are so happy about snails.

Stoca Zola fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Oct 25, 2017

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Yay now it’s elevated nitrates and not nitrites that will murder my fish without twice daily water changes.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Stoca Zola posted:

Do you mean "both" as in both treat now and treat again later? Or do you mean do not treat now, and only treat with both? Edit: I guess my deal is, I don't know for sure that this is columnaris, just that it does not respond to malachite green, salt, triple sulfa, tetracycline, methylene blue, acriflavine or aminocrine.

I don't know how much longer these poor dudes can last and there is no shipping update on the kanaplex, like nothing for a whole week. I don't know how long I'll be waiting. Extra edit: shiiiiiiiit the worst case shipping estimate has another 2 weeks before delivery and I do not think anything will survive that long. I think I'm going to use half of what I've got and hope for the best :(

We can't get puffers here, only local SW puffers I guess. So instead I have yoyo loaches zooming around with snails on the ends of their noses and clacking excitedly. I kind of feel bad for the snails but not THAT bad. Those loaches are so happy about snails.

Sorry, i mean both at the same time. Its what I used to destroy columnaris. Unfortunately it nuked everything else too but, thats what seachem stability is for.

E: are there any universities near you? You could try to contact one of their ecologists and ask if they'd be willing to give you any. You will have to comb through some literature and figure out the dosing yourself in this case though.

Azuth0667 fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Oct 25, 2017

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

Squishing and removing all snails seen has had some decent results. I haven't seen any of them today but I'll keep monitoring things to see if more appear. I'm not sure if they where spawning or fighting with each other but I saw a fair bit of that over the weekend and the biggest snail hasn't been seen since sunday and was last seen with fuzzy poo poo hanging out of its poop hole

In one week of me not picking them out, there are now dozens and eggs everywhere.

Sweet hobby.

I got 3 little shrimps for $2 a piece but I think they are Amano and won't be able to breed without saltwater. I went to local petco for cat food and noticed a few for cheap hiding and terrified of all the other fish in their tank. They were sold as "Japanese Algae Eating Shrimp" but look almost identical to Amano.

They had no problems adapting to my new tank. Testing shows like 0ppm of just about everything. The nitrite and nitrate levels are just barely registering anything but I'm assuming that just seeing it go up at all means there is some bacteria doing its job and it's just being consumed by all the plants.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Dumb question: how can I tell the difference between glass aquaria and terraria?

I found some unmarked 10-gal and one 20-gal glass containers in the lab and I need them full of water for a fish experiment. All of their glass is the same thickness (approx 4mm or 5/32"). Is that too thin for the 20-gallon tank?

All but one of the 10-gals have the silicone sealant in the wall corners, but it does have some black rubber poo poo that runs down the seams (sorry I didn't get a picture). Is it ok to fill that with water? The rest of them are fine?

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Oct 25, 2017

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Mak0rz posted:

Dumb question: how can I tell the difference between glass aquaria and terraria?

I found some unmarked 10-gal and one 20-gal glass containers in the lab and I need them full of water for a fish experiment. All of their glass is the same thickness (approx 4mm or 5/32"). Is that too thin for the 20-gallon tank?

All but one of the 10-gals have the silicone sealant in the wall corners, but it does have some black rubber poo poo that runs down the seams (sorry I didn't get a picture). Is it ok to fill that with water? The rest of them are fine?

AFAIK there is no difference and no way to tell. Silicone can be black. But any aquarium can have a leak, especially if the sealant is old or damaged.

I think all you can do is fill them with water and then check for leaks. Make sure the outside is dry, so you can easily see any tiny puddles forming before they get big. You can also mark the water level on the outside with a sharpie to make any drop more obvious. If they hold water for 24 hours they should be fine.

If any of them do leak attach some kind of label to the leaky ones so it will be known in the future.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Anyone want to take bets on what turns up next in Azuth's tank? I'll wager on a 'Nemo'

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
A koi

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

We will find out this weekend as I have to go away again for work. I am already getting bitched at about the oscar because "its evil it keeps killing the other fish." I think they've put a goldfish or parrot fish in it already and are trying to hide it from me.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Facebook Aunt posted:

AFAIK there is no difference and no way to tell. Silicone can be black. But any aquarium can have a leak, especially if the sealant is old or damaged.

I think all you can do is fill them with water and then check for leaks. Make sure the outside is dry, so you can easily see any tiny puddles forming before they get big. You can also mark the water level on the outside with a sharpie to make any drop more obvious. If they hold water for 24 hours they should be fine.

If any of them do leak attach some kind of label to the leaky ones so it will be known in the future.

Excellent, thanks! Crossing my fingers that they aren't leaky.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Synthbuttrange posted:

I'll wager on a 'Nemo'
ffffuck I don't think I can top that guess.

Azuth0667 posted:

I am already getting bitched at about the oscar because "its evil it keeps killing the other fish."
Wait, nevermind. They're totally going to go for a pirahna to kill the oscar.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Mak0rz posted:

For small tanks the thickness of the glass doesn't matter so much. I had a quick read through a "build your own aquarium" guide that I have and 6mm is the recommended minimum thickness but I have two commercially made 15 gallon tanks where the glass looks to be 4mm. The dimension where it matters is tank height; the taller the tank is, the more the glass will bow in the middle from the weight of the water, so the thicker it has to be to maintain structural integrity (the seals not the glass itself). Glass is pretty strong vs flexing but not as strong vs impact. Anyway I think it will be fine as long as your 20 gallon tank is long rather than tall ie about a foot tall.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Stoca Zola posted:

Anyway I think it will be fine as long as your 20 gallon tank is long rather than tall ie about a foot tall.

The 20 gallon one is just a foot tall, actually! Thanks!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Azuth0667 posted:

We will find out this weekend as I have to go away again for work. I am already getting bitched at about the oscar because "its evil it keeps killing the other fish." I think they've put a goldfish or parrot fish in it already and are trying to hide it from me.

Isnt the oscar your nephews fish anyway?

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Chucked some purigen in along with a water change so I could get rid of some of the snail poop that's covered things. I only saw one snail and he went in the syphon. It's only been a few hours but things are looking clearer so we'll see how things progress. The tank will continue to run for two weeks more before they get moved. I'll keep adding a little fish food to keep the bacteria happy but it appears that the plants are having a good time as they are growing rapidly.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Synthbuttrange posted:

Isnt the oscar your nephews fish anyway?

Yup, its already been abandoned by him too.

There was definitely something with gold or orange scales that was put in here and did not survive.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I would move the Oscar and get a piranha, and clearly label the tank “warning contains a piranha”.

I now have 3 snails.

Did a 50% water change last night and nitrites are now at 0 and the nitrates don’t seem to have risen again. By George I think she’s cycled.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

One of my fish finally died today, an oto - but, it was one of my old otos that I've had since April last year. I had 4 in with the catfish and recently they've been spending the whole time huddled in one corner. So that's where I've been feeding them but from the state of the dead oto, I think he starved to death. I think the snails must have been eating too much of the food before the otos got enough, the snail population seems to have really spiked and I hadn't noticed :( The other factor is the peacock gudgeons in that tank seem to be in breeding mode and perhaps that has stressed the otos out a bit too. RIP tiny oto, I guess keeping you alive for 18 months isn't terrible in the scheme of things.

In the plague tank nothing has died yet, everyone is still eating and behaving reasonably normally. Even though 2 or 3 of them now look like fish shaped crackers that have been sucked on by a baby, their outlines are so blobby and indistinct.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Synthbuttrange posted:

Anyone want to take bets on what turns up next in Azuth's tank? I'll wager on a 'Nemo'

an arapaima, probably

Lord Kinbote
Feb 27, 2016
Need some advise on an idea or two I have for a tank setup. So I have a 200l tank (55g US) its kinda a cube shaped tank, 71cm L 65cm H 51cm W. I have an Eheim 2217 for it. I really love South American cichlids and I was thinking maybe some type of an Apistograma harem setup with tons of Almond leaves etc in the bottom with plenty of caves and driftwood and maybe a school of Rasboras or cardinals. Or I was thinking of Maybe a pair of blue Acaras but I'm not sure that tank would be big enough.Have any of you got any stock suggestions, my LFS are great and they can order me all kinds off stuff.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Harlequin rasboras :D clearly I’m recommending them because they are currently the only thing in my tank apart from the 9 snails and I’ve got Stockholm syndrome.

I’ve got a 60l planted tank and am layering it. 1 male Siamese fighting fish top, 6 Harlequins middle, (a few) corydoras to hoover up any dropped food at the bottom, and 1 Pleco to eat the algae.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

seriously regretting not getting a 20 long because I see so many great aquascapes I wanna do but it's difficult in a tall tank :cry: this is giving me feels

I can't wait to move the tank and re-scape it, but it's a shame.

question: since I have a taller tank and my cories are obviously at the bottom, would I be able to keep a betta in there? would a female betta be less likely to hurt cories? I see conflicting things in my google searches, though a lot of them are people asking about ~10 gallons or smaller with cories/bettas. I have my tetras as well and I'll probably just replenish that school. I wanted to do a betta tank in my old 10 gallon, but I just don't have room for it anywhere permanently (I plan on using it to keep the cories in during the tank relocation though, and for quarantining as well).

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The lousy thing about bettas is that they have PERSONALITY so some might be huge assholes and others are live and let live. I've had two males with my cories though through the years and both of them have been fine.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

yeah I definitely want to have a backup plan in case the betta ends up being a big butt. I do have a table that can hold the 10 gallon if needed, at least.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The Snoo posted:

seriously regretting not getting a 20 long because I see so many great aquascapes I wanna do but it's difficult in a tall tank :cry: this is giving me feels

I can't wait to move the tank and re-scape it, but it's a shame.

question: since I have a taller tank and my cories are obviously at the bottom, would I be able to keep a betta in there? would a female betta be less likely to hurt cories? I see conflicting things in my google searches, though a lot of them are people asking about ~10 gallons or smaller with cories/bettas. I have my tetras as well and I'll probably just replenish that school. I wanted to do a betta tank in my old 10 gallon, but I just don't have room for it anywhere permanently (I plan on using it to keep the cories in during the tank relocation though, and for quarantining as well).

It depends on the betta. I had a half moon betta that was fine in a 37 gallon tall tank with cories, loaches, and neon tetras. He gave everyone a good looking over when I first put him in the tank, and I had a backup 3 gallon if it didn't work out, but he soon decided the other guys were neither food, rivals, nor potential mates and ignored them. He spent more time near the bottom than the top though, apparently hunting for worms or something in the gravel.

- I put him in a floating isolation/breeding thing for the first day, so he could get used to the water without having to deal with other life forms and current, because I figure after living in a little cup it would be a big change.
- I wouldn't mix tetras with one of the big flowy guys like a crowntail, because the tetras may harass the betta.
- Have a backup container for the betta if he turns out to be a jerk.
- Since it is a tall tank, have something for him to rest on in the top 6 inches of the tank. They sell a fake leaf with a suction cup specifically for this purpose. He may or may not use it.

Female bettas are generally less aggressive and less handicapped by their fins. They also aren't quite as pretty as the boys, and in some areas can be difficult to find at all.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

He did flare at the neons a few times at first. But since they wouldn't flare back he lost interest pretty quick.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Synthbuttrange posted:

The lousy thing about bettas is that they have PERSONALITY so some might be huge assholes and others are live and let live. I've had two males with my cories though through the years and both of them have been fine.

Personality is right. I had one that used to be my buddy when I was writing and one that was docile while I was around but, turned into a murder hobo as soon as I went anywhere. Will probably get another when this oscar is gone and I downsize to a few small tanks. A move is coming up and I dread moving large tanks.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

thank you for your input!

I do have a bunch of pothos floating in the top but I'll be looking into resting/hiding spots that'll blend well with my natural theme.

I've seen plenty of female bettas in the stores near me, so they're an option, luckily! I'm more interested in a nice color than long fins, something to offset the black/green scheme of the aquarium and the kinda drab cory colors (which I do enjoy! the green flash is pretty), but also not blue/red like the tetras.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Fish Noise posted:

ffffuck I don't think I can top that guess.

Wait, nevermind. They're totally going to go for a pirahna to kill the oscar.

I know an old lady who swallowed a spider...

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

The Snoo posted:

I used to want to do that kind of pretty aquascaping - still do, but don't really try anymore - but would always get tired of fiddling with and maintaining it.

Now my aquascaping style is Overgrowth. I can barely see past an inch into my Heterandria tank, on account of all the Najas.

The Snoo posted:

In general, bettas don't go with anything that has long flowing fins, and anything bitey doesn't go with bettas. Cories should be fine, but as others have mentioned, bettas can have quite a range of personalities.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Alright, been a while, but looking for some info.

I've got a yellow Comet in my tank and after feeding he'll come up to the surface and pop up nearly half his length a few times and then return to his normal little self. I dunno if this is some issue or if it's just a quirk. I ask because I've got a veil tail in there too that likes to spit water at me when he's hungry

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The Snoo posted:

thank you for your input!

I do have a bunch of pothos floating in the top but I'll be looking into resting/hiding spots that'll blend well with my natural theme.

I've seen plenty of female bettas in the stores near me, so they're an option, luckily! I'm more interested in a nice color than long fins, something to offset the black/green scheme of the aquarium and the kinda drab cory colors (which I do enjoy! the green flash is pretty), but also not blue/red like the tetras.

If you just want something where you can add a single showy 'centerpiece' fish, you could also look into dwarf gouramis. One of those is about the same bioload and personality as a betta, and they are generally a little less aggressive. They are blue and/or red, but quite distinct from tetras. Worth a look next time you are in the shop.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My Betta is home :D he’s not out the bag yet but pictures to follow.

I should have clarified that the Cory that will be going in with him are Cory that already lived with him in the shop’s tank for three weeks already. He’s blue with red fins so I’ve had to be really careful to avoid those colours when picking the other fish.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Facebook Aunt posted:

If you just want something where you can add a single showy 'centerpiece' fish, you could also look into dwarf gouramis. One of those is about the same bioload and personality as a betta, and they are generally a little less aggressive. They are blue and/or red, but quite distinct from tetras. Worth a look next time you are in the shop.

I think I want one.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
So here’s the nearly completed tank this thread helped build :) thanks everyone!

Edit: finally managed to get a picture of Coward.

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Oct 28, 2017

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Finally managed to get the software that lets me program the lights to work so I built a custom program that cut down the photoperiod by a lot and let me turn it off in the middle of the day for a break as theres signs of algae turning up atm. The preprogrammed ones aren't too bad apart from the tank being on from 5.30am until 10pm without a break. Nitrites have shown themselves properly for the first time after I stopped dosing stability given the tank has to move in less than two weeks.
I haven't really been dosing fertilisers but the plants that are in there continue to grow pretty well. I'll also get a small wave maker when I move as there is a dead spot in the opposite side to the filter and a pile of stuff seems to accumulate in the rocks over that side.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

I'm considering a 10 gallon with three female bettas- I figure that's as many as I can reasonably put in there, to try and allow each to have their own territories and not to overload the tank because there's Amano shrimp in there too. That shouldn't be a problem, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I think betta sororities could do with 5. 3 seems quite small if there's any pecking order aggression .