Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Incestuous amplification is the phenomenon where a group of people who get together because they are similar become more similar as a result of spending time together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

what about the Great Leap Forward leading to at least 18 million deaths or the Holodomor?
What about WW2 leading to 70 million deaths? WW2 you know the thing Hitler is kinda famous for starting.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Literally this talking point came up in the comments for a Youtube video of some people playing Wolfenstein. People (Commenters) trying to claim that Communists are worse than Nazi's and thus Wolfenstein is bad for having Communists being good guys. I don't recall this talking point during the original Call of Duties which featured a Red Army soldier as a protagonist but maybe I'm just too old and they too young.

There are also other factors to the GFL, such as backyard industrialization and a withdrawal of Soviet assistance during a time wherein China lacked access to Western experts of any kind (Whereas the USSR had Americans building and designing their major factories). So you have tens of thousands of villages spending effort trying to set up blast furnaces making useless iron and there's a huge momentum to the process that's also difficult to put a stop to as China wasn't all that centralized yet.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

business hammocks posted:

Incestuous amplification is the phenomenon where a group of people who get together because they are similar become more similar as a result of spending time together.

Seems like the closest to what I'm thinking.

I brought it up cause I thought of my former roommate who was a solid atheist for years before we started talking politics and I found out he was a Republican and he slowly started making arguments like "you know, maybe creationism isn't so far-fetched after all...".

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Kokoro Wish posted:

Kyle Kulinski of Secular Talk debates Razorfist on Drunken Peasants on a number of topics including healthcare, conservatism, etc:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IARK379_-c

Now I'm not a fan of Drunken Peasants, nor am I that big on Kulinski's New Atheist leanings, but I thought this might be entertaining for some people here.

This was going great until the end where he and Razofist bonded over the fact that the REAL Russia scandal is Hillary/Obama not going to jail for selling uranium to the Russians.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I miss the days when Razorfist was just a goofy Marvel villain who has swords for hands.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the reason right wingers accept it all is because right wingers fall in line.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

Is it?

I really dont know

Read something, then. Like the post where I explained it to you. gently caress.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Mao didn't trust the bourgeoisie and had educated people banned or beaten to death by mobs for being a class enemy. Their projects would have done better if they people who actually knew what they were doing building their dams and poo poo
Also not having people who point out the flaws in the chairman's plans banished to a farm would have helped.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

nickmeister posted:

Mao didn't trust the bourgeoisie and had educated people banned or beaten to death by mobs for being a class enemy. Their projects would have done better if they people who actually knew what they were doing building their dams and poo poo
Also not having people who point out the flaws in the chairman's plans banished to a farm would have helped.

This isn't exactly what happened. The Hundred Flowers Campaign preceded the GLF resulting in a chilling effect on those who would've had the knowledge to criticize the agricultural and industrial policies of the GLF; but China wasn't Cambodia; it wasn't that they beat/killed what experts they had, it's that they simply didn't have enough of them to make any of the projects workable.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

You know, the Bengal Famine really doesn't get the love it deserves in a good ethnic cleansing conversation. It's all Hitler and Holomdor all the time, where's Churchill's due, I ask?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I was watching some of Contrapoints old videos and I have to say this one kind of annoyed me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klfH9QaEcqY

I like her and all but I thought her complaints about Sarkeesian were pretty dumb, to this day nobody's ever really been able to explain what was actually genuinely shady about her crowdfunding campaign other than 'it got too much money? Even though that was totally out of her control?'.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Drowned in a bathtub full of gin, probably.

E: Churchill that is not Anita.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Oct 29, 2017

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

khwarezm posted:

I was watching some of Contrapoints old videos and I have to say this one kind of annoyed me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klfH9QaEcqY

I like her and all but I thought her complaints about Sarkeesian were pretty dumb, to this day nobody's ever really been able to explain what was actually genuinely shady about her crowdfunding campaign other than 'it got too much money? Even though that was totally out of her control?'.

Didn't he make a video later on (or at least talk about it with someone) that he was mistaken about her and got all kinds of false info?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Mr Interweb posted:

Didn't he make a video later on (or at least talk about it with someone) that he was mistaken about her and got all kinds of false info?

Oh? fair enough then.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Mr Interweb posted:

He's been making videos about Sarkeesian for actual, literal years at this point.

How did he fail to check the info in all that time?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Somfin posted:

He's been making videos about Sarkeesian for actual, literal years at this point.

How did he fail to check the info in all that time?

I think by 'he' Interweb is talking about ContraPoints, not thunderfoot.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
Yeah, she did a stream about that video and things in it she views differently in hindsight https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQr6yH2WtlI

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

MiddleOne posted:

Team player? Pragmatist? Opportunist? Coward?

It's all a matter of perspective really.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Is that Thomas Smith v. Sargon debate worth watching?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Mr Interweb posted:

You already know the answer to this.

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal

Mr Interweb posted:

No. Smith did an episode on his podcast about it that’s ok if you must subject yourself to that nonsense.

On the other hand, if you want to listen to a debate of his that’s genuinely interesting, listen to the episodes of his podcast where he discusses that ridiculous pseudo-hoax by Boghossian and Lindsay. He talks with Eli Bosnick first about why it’s bullshit (http://seriouspod.com/sio44-debunking-conceptual-penis-stunt-eli-bosnick/) and then talks with Lindsay, who in my estimation has no reasonable defense of his “hoax” (http://seriouspod.com/sio45-james-lindsay-co-author-conceptual-penis-hoax-paper/).

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Is Sargon Oswald Mosley yet?

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Lightning Lord posted:

Is Sargon Oswald Mosley yet?

The Times has to describe Sargon as 'the most handsome and gifted political leader of the 21st century' first.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I can't wait for Carl to try marching his League of Rationals down the streets of Swindon, only for them to get their asses kicked by some kids.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

SteelMentor posted:

I can't wait for Carl to try marching his League of Rationals down the streets of Swindon, only for them to get their asses kicked by some kids.

Asthmatic kids. Wearing braces.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SteelMentor posted:

Didn't a small mob of his followers to take over a playground somewhere in the name of "free speech" and all they did was creep out a bunch of parents and children? I seem to recall that was a thing that happened at some point, either by Sargon's direct order or the misinterpretation of something else asinine he muttered into a microphone.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

nine-gear crow posted:

Didn't a small mob of his followers to take over a playground somewhere in the name of "free speech" and all they did was creep out a bunch of parents and children? I seem to recall that was a thing that happened at some point, either by Sargon's direct order or the misinterpretation of something else asinine he muttered into a microphone.

I think they were fans, and yes, they chased and yelled at literal children and planted a kekistan flag at a playground.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

That was the first time I realized people did that weird screaming noise as an actual thing and not as a dumb meme.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

bobjr posted:

That was the first time I realized people did that weird screaming noise as an actual thing and not as a dumb meme.

I had someone do it irl to me over something going bad in a game of Warhammer.

He just didn't understand why I packed up my poo poo and called him a oval office.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

SteelMentor posted:

I had someone do it irl to me over something going bad in a game of Warhammer.

He just didn't understand why I packed up my poo poo and called him a oval office.

Weird screaming thing?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Madmarker posted:

Weird screaming thing?

"Reeeee."

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Madmarker posted:

Weird screaming thing?

"Reeee"

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Yeah, that poo poo. I can't stand people making fun of my condition, I can't stand that it's started to seep into general internet pop-culture even more.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's a condition?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Autism dude, that whole Reeee thing makes fun of 'tism.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

OwlFancier posted:

It's a condition?

It's the verbalization of *autistic screeching* that you see in lovely stdh posts where alt-right totally pwns some sjw cucks.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I thought they were just idiots.

I mean, they still are, but it is now a new level of idiocy.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I always assumed it was just the noise some frogs make when I first heard it, because it was usually accompanied by some Pepe poo poo or the "government get out ree" Gadsden parody.

I guess there's nothing that chan culture can't turn into garbage though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=948rhsRvIkw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

http://www.pcgamer.com/steam-needs-...uffer_pcgamerfb

• Locked thread