Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

little_firebird posted:

Hello.

Someone is starting to get pretty new feathers in!

About a month ago for reference:

AaaaaaAAAAAAaaaaaAAAAAAHHHHhhhh

More

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

little_firebird
Sep 1, 2008

Why don't you
just eat your
belly button and die?!

Eifert Posting posted:

AaaaaaAAAAAAaaaaaAAAAAAHHHHhhhh

More

More will happen, I assure you. Hyde is grunting at me from his cage in the "Lemme oouuuuuuuttttt :((((((" tone of voice but I have things I need to finish up before he can free-roam.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

little_firebird posted:

Hello.

Someone is starting to get pretty new feathers in!

About a month ago for reference:

such a pretty bird!!!

Very lovely :) Looks very soft....

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
I was at the pet store yesterday visiting with Mr. Quaker and some weirdly hard to find baby cockatiels that were adorable.

Annie, the cone of shame cockatiel, had just been fitting with the "cone."

She was so angry about it, she would just sit in place and quietly hiss if you tried to pet her. She was birb pouting.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
I have always liked pigeons, and Hyde just confirms that. They have such great little faces.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

give me your bird

pls

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I am a Purrrfect Princess

give me burd also pls

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Parakeet Question for Goon Opinions -

My parakeets are getting friendly with each other. Baby making friendly, but no actual mating.

I have twenty years under my belt in discouraging the behaviour, but since I'm thinking about adding a proper budgie to their ecosystem, would that help or hurt?

Also, any tricks an experienced small parrot guy might not be thinking about? Their cage is fine and their schedule is decent. The only change has been installing a "sun" lamp. The lamp is not left on all day.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

SMASH
https://twitter.com/donchan08041/status/923119715492413441

sleep~
https://twitter.com/405Nishichan/status/923464460953513984

Horn of Arby's
May 30, 2004
what? no catfood?
Need some advice for a shrieking GCC...

Pico lives in the loving room of the house my roommate and I share. This is new in the last month or so- he used to live in my room. Overall, he seems much happier. More people around and is content being out and just watching us putter around. The trouble comes when it's either lights out time (around 9 pm) or if someone leaves the house with the intention of going somewhere else (car starts or his special bird ESP). If that happens, he uses his special shriek flock call that is not only piercing but slightly "Oh god you're leaving me forever, I'm so lonely and sad." The problem is we leave for work at 5:30 am and sometimes that wakes up the person who's not working. Or who went to bed early.

Hints? I've tried a certain saying when I leave, but my roommate isn't on board. I try to not react, but I feel bad that my beast is being loud. Am I just stuck with a flock calling bird?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Window perch, episode 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrAvNF_HBfk

Horn of Arby's posted:

Going to suggest the same, introduce some rituals for leaving for a short time, leaving for a longer time, going to bed, and coming back. Your roommate really needs to recognize that parrots are very social and do need that assurance from their flock/family.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Horn of Arby's posted:

Pico lives in the loving room of the house my roommate and I share. This is new in the last month or so- he used to live in my room. Overall, he seems much happier. More people around and is content being out and just watching us putter around. The trouble comes when it's either lights out time (around 9 pm) or if someone leaves the house with the intention of going somewhere else (car starts or his special bird ESP). If that happens, he uses his special shriek flock call that is not only piercing but slightly "Oh god you're leaving me forever, I'm so lonely and sad." The problem is we leave for work at 5:30 am and sometimes that wakes up the person who's not working. Or who went to bed early.

Hints? I've tried a certain saying when I leave, but my roommate isn't on board. I try to not react, but I feel bad that my beast is being loud. Am I just stuck with a flock calling bird?

Do you cover him at night? Or have a special, smaller night cage for him? Amadeus gets his own 'bedroom' -- a small closet with a shelf that has his night cage, which is customarily covered in a couple towels or blankets to make it even darker and help muffle sound. That sounds a little over-the-top bird crazy, I know, but it makes a huge difference. He loves having his own little safe and secure den; he's happy to go to bed at night and settles down quickly, and is usually quiet and content until he's uncovered and woken up the next morning.

After my boyfriend and I broke up this spring, but before I had a new place to live, I spent some time staying at a friend's place. When it came time to settle down for the night Ama was an ENORMOUS butt even after I covered him; shrieking, contact calling, hurling his night-jingly around in a rage until he wore himself out. After three nights of this (and me desperately trying to quiet him down each time) my friend quite tactfully said, "didn't you say he had his own closet at home?"

We cleared out space on a shelf in her linen closet and stuck his night cage in there.

Bam.

Perfect behavior.

And the same at the new place. Night cage in a little closet, some towels on top, and he was and is happy as a clam. It might not take immediately but that might help your problem! On days when someone needs to leave very early for work there is occasionally some small plaintive cheeping, but he goes back to sleep soon after and is quiet until whomever's left at home takes him out for the day.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Horn of Arby's posted:

This is a lark on my part, but Chuck the parakeet would actually watch my iphone if I put Hulu autoplay on and left it on her cage. Tito did the same thing. It could sometimes help them settle down when they went into full blast featherstorm mode at nine at night.

I think Wandy the Cockatiel was a little dim by cockatiel standards. She would just beak the phone to see if it was food, then shove it out of my hands or off the counter. I would play her youtube bird sounds when her calls got ridiculous.

The parakeets liked Parks and Rec. :3:

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

I got to pet a cockatoo today. She was like a soft cloud :kimchi:
Then she put her head down like she wanted scritches and, while I scritched her, masterfully plucked out and threw away my earring then laughed my my ear.

Mr. Ana got to meet an eclectus.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Closets are great as bedrooms for birb. My avian vet suggested putting them in a nice roomy, dark closet at night, in a smaller cage than their day cage. It has really helped with getting Crouton and Galbedir more hours of darkness and sleep They aren't awake at 4.30 when it starts to get light and the lorikeets are calling, and I can be awake at 10pm without having to disturb them. They are more relaxed and not squeaking when neighbours are trying to sleep.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Closets are great as bedrooms for birb. My avian vet suggested putting them in a nice roomy, dark closet at night, in a smaller cage than their day cage. It has really helped with getting Crouton and Galbedir more hours of darkness and sleep They aren't awake at 4.30 when it starts to get light and the lorikeets are calling, and I can be awake at 10pm without having to disturb them. They are more relaxed and not squeaking when neighbours are trying to sleep.

I’ve always thought about that! Can you give details about ventilation? That’s what always worried me.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Bird experts, I have a question if that's welcome here. What species of bird is Big Bird from Sesame Street?

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

value-brand cereal posted:

Bird experts, I have a question if that's welcome here. What species of bird is Big Bird from Sesame Street?

he's a big bird

edit: the more serious answer is that it's a contentious question without clear response. the most consistent answer is that he's a bigus canarius

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Oct 29, 2017

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

The Narrator posted:

he's a big bird

edit: the more serious answer is that it's a contentious question without clear response. the most consistent answer is that he's a bigus canarius

You... You mean.... :v:

I can't believe he's a canary. But I thought he'd be something else since he's flightless? Perhaps he does not care for flying, or simply ate too much mash potatoe

Everyday Goast
Nov 27, 2011

spoopy

Clearly big bird is an albino moa

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
A woman from Iowa, who was having the bird I was interested in DNA tested, flew in for him or her. At least I know Mr. Terror will be somewhere he is loved.

Damnit.

Time to start from square one. At least they have five "rare" baby cockatiels to pester! I got one out the other day that wasn't hand trained but refused to bite. Good sign. :)

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Two birds sleepily crunching on my shoulder :kimchi:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Also bedtime/good bye/morning rituals are good for birds. Think of pretty much any TV show for very young children, and it'll probably have a very set "hello" "time to do X activity" "good bye" ritual. Teletubbies is a good example with an intro and outro ritual that is pretty much identical every time. It's very soothing for little kids, especially special needs kids. Time Birds work the same way.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You know when Sesame Street was in pilot they experimented with dubbing vocals for a live cassowary as a cost cutting measure.

It didn't go well.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Eifert Posting posted:

You know when Sesame Street was in pilot they experimented with dubbing vocals for a live cassowary as a cost cutting measure.

It didn't go well.

Yeah, cassowaries are unionized and demanded better pay.

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

Ugggh, I uncovered the cage this morning to find Ozzy barfed* everywhere. Scouring a cage when your SI joints are trying to murder you is not a fun start to a Sunday.

*I SUSPECT he was regurgitating on/'feeding' this new toy that I put in the cage recently, and it looks like he then proceeded to smear it all over the cage bars to get leftovers off his beak. There was just a lot more of it than last time this happened. New toy is gone, now I get to watch him for any weird behaviors for a little bit before I decide to make a vet appointment :sigh:

Ozzy please just be disgusting but not actually sick.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

GoldStandardConure posted:

Yeah, cassowaries are unionized and demanded better pay.

Australia - Home of All the Ridiculous Death Animals, and Parrots.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

value-brand cereal posted:

Per Sesame Workshop he is modeled after a canary. Though he is a bit proud to admit that and has referred to himself as a "golden condor" which is not a thing.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Apart from Kermit and Miss Piggy are any other Muppets supposed to be real animals?

Also what species of frog is Kermit?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Tsaedje posted:

Apart from Kermit and Miss Piggy are any other Muppets supposed to be real animals?

Also what species of frog is Kermit?

Rolf is a dog, Rizzo's a rat, Pepe is a prawn, and then there's Sam Eagle

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I'm not a Muppet expert, clearly. Big bird is a big bird, does it need to be more specific?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Tsaedje posted:

I'm not a Muppet expert, clearly. Big bird is a big bird, does it need to be more specific?

There's a reason this thread isn't called bird reasonables.

little_firebird
Sep 1, 2008

Why don't you
just eat your
belly button and die?!

ready for his close-up

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Gonna make a Hatoful Boyfriend mod featuring that birb :syoon:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

little_firebird posted:

ready for his close-up

Your bird in an anime. It happened.

-

I was in the bird store today meeting birds. They have a large play room for all birds above parakeet sized to play on during the day. But the birds get cycled in and out.

Important Side Note - I'm on a blood thinner and simple bites could make me have an irritating ER visit.

I walked into the bird room alone and got stink eyed by an Amazon. This amazon is apparently named Pretty Bird. I waltzed over and picked him up and played with him for about five minutes. I left him on my shoulder.

Cue an employee seeing me and her eyes going dinner plate wide. She said, "Are you...alright?"

"Sure, this bird is great," I say putting him back on a perch.

Apparently, the bird is so possessive and aggressive, it has to be towelled around the store unless the old owner is present. He was not. I let a human can opener play with my ear. Ack!

-

I think if we all combined forces with some other birb goons we could become a hit TV show of bird whisperers.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

So, once upon a time, Mookie the giant umbrella 'too bit the poo poo out of the base of my thumb. On the way to the grocery store, I stopped by the ER I worked at to grab some skin glue, so I wouldn't bleed all over the produce.
Co-worker #1: Hey man, that looks pretty bad. You ok?
Me: Yup, just another bird bite. Just grabbing some glue.
Co-worker #1: I dunno man, it looks kind of swollen. Hey (co-worker #2), check this out!
Co-worker #2: Oh man, that looks pretty bad. What happened?
Me: Bird bite.
Co-worker #2: Maybe we should have the doctor check it out.
Me: No, really, it's fine...
ER Doc: Man, that's pretty swollen and ugly. Let's have the surgeon check it out.
Me: But... Ok, I'll be in the break room.
Surgeon: Your thumb and wrist look kind of like a sausage, this is probably a job for the orthopedic surgeon!
Orthopod: Looks like it goes pretty deep, I'd like to do a fasciotomy. What happened?
Orthopod: That's it?
Me: Wait, his pellet mix changed. It has peanuts in it now, which I'm hugely allergic to. Maybe he had residue on his beak, which got jammed into the deeper tissues?
2 nursing staff and three doctors crammed into a break room the size of a closet sigh in disappointment
Surgeon: Makes sense. Later!
ER Doc: Here's a Benadryl, see you on shift.
Orthopod: I'm going to put you in a splint anyway. Can I do a case review on you?

I guess what I'm saying is that I can be the well-meaning idiot that adds some bloody drama to Captain Log's bird-whispering adventure.

little_firebird posted:

ready for his close-up

Would scritch.

Suntan Boy fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Oct 30, 2017

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Suntan Boy posted:

So, once upon a time, Mookie the giant umbrella 'too bit the poo poo out of the base of my thumb. On the way to the grocery store, I stopped by the ER I worked at to grab some skin glue, so I wouldn't bleed all over the produce.
Co-worker #1: Hey man, that looks pretty bad. You ok?
Me: Yup, just another bird bite. Just grabbing some glue.
Co-worker #1: I dunno man, it looks kind of swollen. Hey (co-worker #2), check this out!
Co-worker #2: Oh man, that looks pretty bad. What happened?
Co-worker #2: Maybe we should have the doctor check it out.
Me: No, really, it's fine...
ER Doc: Man, that's pretty swollen and ugly. Let's have the surgeon check it out.
Me: But... Ok, I'll be in the break room.
Surgeon: Your thumb and wrist look kind of like a sausage, this is probably a job for the orthopedic surgeon!
Orthopod: Looks like it goes pretty deep, I'd like to do a fasciotomy. What happened?
Orthopod: That's it?
Me: Wait, his pellet mix changed. It has peanuts in it now, which I'm hugely allergic to. Maybe he had residue on his beak, which got jammed into the deeper tissues?
2 nursing staff and three doctors crammed into a break room the size of a closet sigh in disappointment
Surgeon: Makes sense. Later!
ER Doc: Here's a Benadryl, see you on shift.
Orthopod: I'm going to put you in a splint anyway. Can I do a case review on you?

I guess what I'm saying is that I can be the well-meaning idiot that adds some bloody drama to Captain Log's bird-whispering adventure.

You're in! :)

When I inevitably end up purchasing a bird store in five to ten years, you are all invited.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

I may or may not steal the greys.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Sekkira posted:

I will definitely steal the greys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
GET DOWN FROM THERE