Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I can't believe Mario is in the same universe as Dark Souls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Hedrigall posted:

You don't need to hold Y or use X at all.

Try this:
Jump, press Y to throw cap, quickly hold ZL then press Y again

I'm pretty sure you have to use waggle for the cap toss or else it returns too quickly

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
You might as well do a nice round 550

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Internet Kraken posted:

I just reached Crumbled Kingdom and holy poo poo

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

This is a big deal to me. Like, there's an element to mainline Mario games that's been missing since 64, where there's inexplicably some creepy and viscerally real poo poo that comes out of left field— the eel from Jolly Roger Bay, the chomping piano, the creepy photo-realistic skybox textures in that one water level

Odyssey brings that memorable vibe back and doesn't even loving bother to explain itself. Just like here, here's Dark Souls

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

so uh no koopa kids in this game yeah

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
You actually go on top of the castle to find yoshi. The Mushroom Kingdom is amazing.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Like has been the case since Mario 64 to beat the story is easy and designed so children can do it. The challenge is after the story where the harder shines/stars/moons/extra worlds come in where Mario demands his pound of flesh

There's a little of that 3D World design sensibility where a lot of the moons have a simple straightforward path but also everything is arranged and timed out so you can optionally take a very stylish and fast way to your objective. In Mario games you're often creating your own challenge for the sake of just looking snazzy. I really love that.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

nerdbot posted:

There's a little of that 3D World design sensibility where a lot of the moons have a simple straightforward path but also everything is arranged and timed out so you can optionally take a very stylish and fast way to your objective. In Mario games you're often creating your own challenge for the sake of just looking snazzy. I really love that.

I really liked 3D World but Odyssey made me realize how much I value being able to zone out at any given moment and treat the world like a Tony Hawk's Pro Skater game

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I think I'm gonna 100% this one. I haven't gotten 100% in a Mario game since 64 but I really feel driven to do it here. The main reason I didn't 100% Galaxy and Galaxy 2 is there were a few stars that involved really challenging motion control gimmicks which I could never pull off. There don't seem to be any of those here so I just need to git gud at platforming.

Lobster Harmonica posted:

This is a big deal to me. Like, there's an element to mainline Mario games that's been missing since 64, where there's inexplicably some creepy and viscerally real poo poo that comes out of left field— the eel from Jolly Roger Bay, the chomping piano, the creepy photo-realistic skybox textures in that one water level

Odyssey brings that memorable vibe back and doesn't even loving bother to explain itself. Just like here, here's Dark Souls

Eh, I think a lot of the stuff you find creepy there can be attributed to age. Like the eel in 64 is freaky but I found the eel in Sunshine to be a hundred times worse because its loving massive.

But on the subject of stuff that is clearly meant to creep you out, Galaxy has one level where the skybox contains weird ghost aliens. No purpose for them to be there other than to spook you.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

So, a question about New Donk City. If New Donk City is where the original Donkey Kong took place, does this mean that Mario is originally from New Donk himself? And if so, does this make his classic origin story of being a plumber from Brooklyn who found himself in the Mushroom Kingdom actually canon again?

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

tap my mountain posted:

I'm pretty sure you have to use waggle for the cap toss or else it returns too quickly
No you just have to hold, not press, the Y button for the dive to transition into a bounce.

Also don't try and turn while doing this you'll miss the hat and dive off into oblivion while trying to explore the New Donk skyline

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Did everything in New Donk before work except for jump rope because gently caress that thing. Whoever put that in should be fired. Tonight after work I get to enjoy the comfy winter kingdom.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Lobster Harmonica posted:

It's something that there was a lot of in Sunshine too, that game is loving weird. I think a lot of Mario 64's oddities in terms of tone and design can be attributed to both the growing pains of feeling out a 3D space and also to the fact that there were not really that many Mario games at the time so there wasn't a codified idea of what a Pure Mario Experience was like yet.

By the time Sunshine rolled around though, I feel like Mario was established enough that what it was doing was very deliberately loving weird. I wasn't really sure how I felt about what Odyssey was doing in the leadup but as time went on I started to get that they were going back to making Mario feel completely unpredictable and insane. There are rules to Mario's world but none of them matter if it means they can do something to surprise you in a really fun way. In this case it means Mario gets to fight Gore Magala.

The New Donkers definitely seemed wild at first but I loving love that "businessperson in a suit" is equivalent to a talking fork or a mermaid in terms of being a caricature of what would live in their respective environments. New Donkers aren't human, they're just creatures in a skyscraper land. The suits are just their skin. New Donkers are to Pauline as Toads are to Princess Peach.

nerdbot fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Oct 29, 2017

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Post-game spoilers. Is there a limit to the number of moons you can buy from the Mushroom Kingdom shop or can I just inflate my moon count forever.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
When you come in second in a race, everyone is celebrating except you. What is wrong with you Mario?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
just beat it. i am currently having a seizure.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Phoix posted:

Post-game spoilers. Is there a limit to the number of moons you can buy from the Mushroom Kingdom shop or can I just inflate my moon count forever.
No limit, and it's at every shop. But they don't check off the actual ones, just inflate your count for swag and unlocks.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
loving music player holy poo poo. steam gardens 24/7.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Hedrigall posted:

You don't need to hold Y or use X at all.

Try this:
Jump, press Y to throw cap, quickly hold ZL then press Y again

Interesting, messing with this you just have to time that Y press to effectively jump off the hat again. Awesome.

Fruity Rudy
Oct 8, 2008

Taste The Rainbow!
https://www.instagram.com/odysseyboi/

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

GOD

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I just realized that (endgame) Bowser didn't even invite his own son to his wedding. Pretty hosed up imho

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Fortis posted:

I just realized that (endgame) Bowser didn't even invite his own son to his wedding. Pretty hosed up imho

Jr was too busy in Kingdom Battle. Try wrapping your head around that one.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

a.lo posted:

I wish Peach would marry Mario
I wish Peach would marry me

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I wish Peach would marry Pauline.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Fortis posted:

nope. because. you ready for this?

odyssey bowser is grown up bowser jr. mario is grown up baby mario (from mario kart 8). SMB1 (nes) mario is an prehistoric ancestor of odyssey mario (8bit fossils in cascade). smb2 is a dream. smb3 is a stage play. mario world is baby mario from mario world 2 whose last adventure is sm64. sunshines are the sons and daughters of sm64 and is a the dying dream of a wasted life. galaxy is another set of kids who have kids themselves who play karting all day who then grow up to become odyssey characters.

new donk city pauline is the descendant of dk pauline (she doesn't recognize odyssey mario when he shows up in NDC)

now dk himself, we all know, from the original dk is cranky kong and DKC is DK jr grown up. but wait...

the lost kingdom. the blast barrel sign. the map for that kingdom mentions it originated there from ancient times.

the lost kingdom is the dk isles. utterly destroyed by the ravages of time and the waters poisoned by the sinking of the k. rool's island in dkc2. this happened 1000s of years ago.

they are dead. the kongs. donkey, diddy, dixie, chunky, cranky, candy, funky, tiny, lanky, the dapper one. all of them died 1000s of years ago.

but yeah thats why hes not there.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Oct 29, 2017

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I just reached 500 moons, which unlocks a grandmaster galaxy/ champion's road equivalent. Got probably halfway through until there was a section with the pole flicking mechanic which I'm terrible at and did not expect the game to ever seriously test. And of course, no checkpoints, so that is probably enough Mario for the day. Can't wait to die multiple times at every single "easy" section I just passed through when I come back. I hope this isn't going to take all of my play time tomorrow (it totally is).

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Is there any story or reasoning for why you do post game stuff? I can’t phrase this question perfectly, but once the game is beaten, are you essentially only playing to get 100%?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
i will pay 50 dollars for a ruined kingdom dlc that make it as big as one of the full-fledged kingdoms and adds themed costumes.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Impermanent posted:

i will pay 50 dollars for a ruined kingdom dlc that make it as big as one of the full-fledged kingdoms and adds themed costumes.

This does make me wonder if this game is gonna get any DLC.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

https://twitter.com/kaubocks/status/924745153700495360

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Internet Kraken posted:

This does make me wonder if this game is gonna get any DLC.

this game is gonna get a sequel with even more worlds and content and secrets just like galaxy 2 did for 1

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

LODGE NORTH posted:

Is there any story or reasoning for why you do post game stuff? I can’t phrase this question perfectly, but once the game is beaten, are you essentially only playing to get 100%?

yep, there is story and reasoning.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

an SNALE

alf_pogs fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Oct 29, 2017

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Seeing those snails reminded me of the snail people in Superstar Saga but also made me realize there's a 0% chance that they were supposed to be them.

It really makes me wonder why Nintendo seems so insistent on keeping the RPGs totally separate from the main games. I'm not sure what it accomplishes. Its especially odd given Odyssey has gone out of its way to a tie a bunch of other Mario series oddities into it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I just love how the worlds feel so alive after the final boss. There’s random NPCs from random worlds everywhere and it helps keep it all connected
Incidentally, am mexican and I loved Tostarena and its denizens, but were other people offended by their depiction?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Seeing those snails reminded me of the snail people in Superstar Saga but also made me realize there's a 0% chance that they were supposed to be them.

It really makes me wonder why Nintendo seems so insistent on keeping the RPGs totally separate from the main games. I'm not sure what it accomplishes. Its especially odd given Odyssey has gone out of its way to a tie a bunch of other Mario series oddities into it.

between Mario Odyssey and Kingdom Battle it really feels like Nintendo are making Mario the colourful, shiney "dark tower" central universe of videogames. it's chaotic and weird as gently caress but i'm totally into it

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Nolgthorn posted:

Any bowser amiibo will tell you where

Tempted to check stores near me for discounted Skylander Bowser, or maybe I should just spend the money and get that amazing Wedding Bowser...

Also, I beat the game last night, had an awesome blast, everything in the buildup to the finale was excellent. Today, my gf's nephews came over and I let them play the switch since they like messing with BotW, the second they saw the Mario Odyssey box they just explode in hype yelling "YOU GOT MARIO?!" and my heart grew three times.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Oct 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i would be very surprised if they didnt do odyssey DLC

its a free $30 or whatever for them

• Locked thread