Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Oooooh my god I thought I was finally escaping Lizard Hell but nope I guess Naggarond got steamrolled by Kroq. Think that's it for you Skrolk, sorry man, I don't want to fight any more god drat frenzying bastards.

Edit: yeah I'm done, gonna find a faction who lives over in the new world, I'm sick of these guys.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer Hall Putz
Sep 10, 2005

Unpleasent snacking
I haven't tried Skaven in Moral Empires yet (so I may or may not be an ignorant dummy), but unless they've radically changed things the principle should be the same. The non-artillery units in my armies really struggled to get gold chevrons over quite a long campaign, so you could probably pad it with pretty much anything once you've hit the critical mass. Good luck through, they seem like a hard faction to use in a ME campaign!

Beer Hall Putz fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Oct 29, 2017

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Pierson posted:

Edit: yeah I'm done, gonna find a faction who lives over in the new world, I'm sick of these guys.

Wait, you want to go over to the New World to no longer have to deal with Lizardmen?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Got my worlds mixed up, I'm just gonna go where the lizards can't get me.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Pierson posted:

Oooooh my god I thought I was finally escaping Lizard Hell but nope I guess Naggarond got steamrolled by Kroq. Think that's it for you Skrolk, sorry man, I don't want to fight any more god drat frenzying bastards.

Wait hold up. Naggarond got rolled by KROQ? From the opposite side of the planet? I gotta see this :frogon:

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Is the dragon mount worth the investment for Mannfred or are the points better spent elsewhere?

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

crime fighting hog posted:

Is the dragon mount worth the investment for Mannfred or are the points better spent elsewhere?

The black dragon breath ability is really strong, and it gives another passive ability 'swarm of flies' that lowers the melee attack of everyone around him. It's probably worth it, especially if they get 40 points now.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Pierson posted:

Skrolk is so good at killing lizards its insane

Stack plague monks and poison gas globardiers and you just melt them like crazy

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Pierson posted:

Got my worlds mixed up, I'm just gonna go where the lizards can't get me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1Sq1Nr58hM

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

The good rule of thumb is that if you went with the yellow line buffs the mount isn’t worth it, otherwise it usually is

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

The good rule of thumb is that if you went with the yellow line buffs the mount isn’t worth it, otherwise it usually is

Doesn't the yellow line also buff the mount though? My rule of thumb is that due to knockdown mechanics mounts are always worth it unless you have a very specific purpose.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The mount hurts your combat stats sans charge so unless you live in some world where a mount means you don't engage in combat there is no rule of thumb.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Pendent posted:

Doesn't the yellow line also buff the mount though? My rule of thumb is that due to knockdown mechanics mounts are always worth it unless you have a very specific purpose.

It buffs the mount but you still take a big attack/defense hit, as well as having a bigger model so more enemy infantry can get hits in at once. Knockdown is an issue, and generally you’d only want to spec full yellow line characters for a specific purpose, but if you want your lord/hero to just blender infantry then skipping a mount is often appropriate.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Then again, if you don't want your lord riding a giant Carnosaur, you might as well uninstall the game.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017
A mount hurts your melee attack and defense but is still a buff overall. Grimgor is the prime example of this. He's got the most-killingest stats of any LL in the entire game, but since he can't have a mount, you can just chain-knockdown him so he never actually gets to use said stats.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Not to mention the other benefits a mount provides. For example, I noticed that Skink Priests can get a Stegadon or Ancient Stegadon mount, which has much of the same armament as the units of the same name: skinks throwing spears from a platform plus a ballista or giant blowgun, respectively.

This means Lizardmen can have a single unit that's an artillery piece, a heavy-hitting close-range monster and a support spellcaster, which is incredibly useful.

William Bear fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Oct 29, 2017

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Zaphod42 posted:

Skrolk is so good at killing lizards its insane

Stack plague monks and poison gas globardiers and you just melt them like crazy
Speaking of which are Censer Bearers an anti-armour variety of Plague Monks or a straight upgrade? They explicitly get the 'anti-armour' trait which monks don't, but they lose 'anti-infantry' at the same time, which is loving with my head when it comes to fighting armoured infantry. :v:

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

William Bear posted:

Not to mention the other benefits a mount provides. For example, I noticed that Skink Priests can get a Stegadon or Ancient Stegadon mount, which has much of the same armament as the units of the same name: skinks throwing spears from a platform plus a ballista or giant blowgun, respectively.

This means Lizardmen can have a single unit that's an artillery piece, a heavy-hitting close-range monster and a support spellcaster, which is incredibly useful.

This is also true for Skink Chieftains! In both cases I usually stop at regular Stegadon for the ballista, which has vastly more ammo and range than the Ancient variant's blowpipes.

Do note that you are charged additional upkeep once you equip the mount, which in the case of a Stegadon amounts to hundreds of gold.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Skink priests own and I cannot wait for the Tehenhauin FLC

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I'm pretty sure Chameleon skinks are the best units on the lizardmen roster.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Pierson posted:

Speaking of which are Censer Bearers an anti-armour variety of Plague Monks or a straight upgrade? They explicitly get the 'anti-armour' trait which monks don't, but they lose 'anti-infantry' at the same time, which is loving with my head when it comes to fighting armoured infantry. :v:

Anti-infantry is +10 when fighting infantry. Armour piercing is an armour bypass (not sure how much). You're better off using the censer bearers against armoured targets basically, but plague monks are still going to be good for everything else.

e: also you need to factor in price and Skaven benefit from clan rat stacks even late in the game, so I'd be trying for a combined force that keep your censer bearers in the back line so you can select the unit you want them to smash up. The other thing to consider is just having chaff rats and bombarding them with globes and arty while cackling maniacally.

JBP fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Oct 29, 2017

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Captain Oblivious posted:

Wait hold up. Naggarond got rolled by KROQ? From the opposite side of the planet? I gotta see this :frogon:

I'de buy it.

If Lizards are the kings of auto resolve, Kroq is the fuckin' God-Emperor.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Xae posted:

I'de buy it.

If Lizards are the kings of auto resolve, Kroq is the fuckin' God-Emperor.
I'd argue that title belongs to the High Elves.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

Kainser posted:

I'm pretty sure Chameleon skinks are the best units on the lizardmen roster.

they're also the most adorable units, those toad pelts!!!!!!!!

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Poisonous toads to squeeze toxins from. A toad hat to hide underwater with. A spiritual leader toad to unite them all.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Regular blowpipe skins are cuter. Unfortunately they also seem like useless trash.

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

Probably going to start playing this again since Wolf 2 isn't running on my laptop. ME seems like it needs more time in the oven, is multiplayer in a good spot right now?

Multiplayer is pretty good right now in my opinion, certainly better than most total war games are. I think having a ton of varied factions has done a lot for how good the multiplayer is. Been especially enjoying playing dark elves, greenskins, dwarfs and high elves in quick battles.

Anecdotally it feels like there’s a lot less arseholes at present though that could just be my luck.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Playing ME as Empire, something I have noticed is that the vanilla maps are a lot more.. Warhammer. I don't know how to describe it but if you take the example of the first settlement you attack as Empire to take it off of the secessionists. in WH1, you would fight on this very vertical map with a lot of forests. This would be repeated for the settlement fight, and for any other fights in that territory (I have fought the Beastmen on it loads of times and the forest really helps them).

This time though, I got a mostly flat plain, with a couple of hilly rises in both deployment zones, a farm and some trees in the middle of the map. The hill was high enough that I could deploy my handgunners behind my infantry line and they could happily shoot over them.

It felt like an implementation of the most typical Warhammer Fantasy game board. And I have had a few other maps like this as well.

Has anyone else noticed this?

I like it, its just surprising.

Phrosphor fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Oct 30, 2017

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Okay so since I was playing a Delf campaign anyway I decided to just start a Mortal Empires one and I've reached the nightmare chaos swarm invasion while also fighting a pretty long and protracted battle with the High Elves. What should my end game Dark Elf armies be looking like. I'm not quite sure what do with their ranged units against those top tier high elf and choas armies but given the comical horde of eagles the AI seems to be mixing in I feel like having a crew is worthwhile. Anyone got advice assuming I have infinite money?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I hope they've taken out that loving Lustria map where it's a sheer hill and nothing but trees so you can't set up well if you luck out on the poo poo deployment area and once you actually fight its just a crapshoot tree battle where you can't see what the gently caress is happening.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Do lizardmen have a good counter to elf archer units that don't involve late game Dinos? Starting a Kroq and it seems like skink skirmishers don't stand a chance, nor do most of my cavalry unless I micro the gently caress out of them.

First quest battle throws some shades at you almost immediately.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Oct 30, 2017

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

JBP posted:

I hope they've taken out that loving Lustria map where it's a sheer hill and nothing but trees so you can't set up well if you luck out on the poo poo deployment area and once you actually fight its just a crapshoot tree battle where you can't see what the gently caress is happening.

I loving despise heavily forested maps. Should be a cheat mod available that removes them.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Pierson posted:

I'd say the censer bearers are a straight upgrade from Plague monks. Plague monks are a dedicated poison unit, while censer bearers are a 'great weapon' counterpart. Note that unlike many of their analogues both units have zilch for armor, and much like Death runners are meant to support another cheaper unit bogging down the target.

Skrolk gets significant upkeep discounts to Plague monk units which really shines with the censer bearers.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Panfilo posted:

I'd say the censer bearers are a straight upgrade from Plague monks. Plague monks are a dedicated poison unit, while censer bearers are a 'great weapon' counterpart. Note that unlike many of their analogues both units have zilch for armor, and much like Death runners are meant to support another cheaper unit bogging down the target.

Skrolk gets significant upkeep discounts to Plague monk units which really shines with the censer bearers.

Plague Monks don't have poison, they're a berserker unit with frenzy.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Mazz posted:

Do lizardmen have a good counter to elf archer units that don't involve late game Dinos? Starting a Kroq and it seems like skink skirmishers don't stand a chance, nor do most of my cavalry unless I micro the gently caress out of them.

March stupid numbers of Saurus warriors at them and upgrade them as hard as you can early. HE/DE ranged is brutal, but you can march your shielded Saurus through absolute hell and worst case is they'll get close and rampage. Kroq will make it cheap enough to run with nothing but Saurus and they're a very mid-tier unit so you can stomp over the top of most armies early in the game.

Tardcore posted:

Plague Monks don't have poison, they're a berserker unit with frenzy.

I think Skrolk is able to give them poison (or some other tech thing) but I can't 100% recall.

JBP fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Oct 30, 2017

Helion
Apr 28, 2008

Mazz posted:

Chameleon Skinks have huge resistance to missiles, hit them from the flank. Cold ones can eat em up pretty good too, just give them orders to flank. If they have too many archers your saurus should smash through their line.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

sucks to your rear end-mar posted:

I loving despise heavily forested maps. Should be a cheat mod available that removes them.

I think they should keep the forested maps, but let you use units that deal fire damage to burn the trees down. Warpfire throwers would get a LOT more interesting.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Helion posted:

Chameleon Skinks have huge resistance to missiles, hit them from the flank. Cold ones can eat em up pretty good too, just give them orders to flank. If they have too many archers your saurus should smash through their line.

Kroq Gar is a non gently caress giving LL as well, so if you put him on a cold one it negates needing loads of cav as he can merrily accomplish whatever killing is the priority.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
It's Kroq's first quest battle, so its really just ignoring 3 units of shades long enough to not get hammered by the actual stack you have to fight later on. They are basically going to delete a unit of Saurus in that time. Seemed annoying to not really have any answer to shades, since my starting Cold Ones lose pretty handily if they stay in melee, or really make contact at all (I havent found real use for cav yet in my HE or DE games either compared to just more monsters). The Stega and Kroq just routing them as a priority might be an answer I guess, or just ignoring the quest till I have a better stack, but that seems kinda weird since I never did that with any of my other lords.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Oct 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I think I sent some dudes via the trees and let the stegadon deal with the witch elves. Kroq rode his little dino into the archers and then rounded on the main force once they broke. I'm pretty sure I had a full stack though and probably ten units of Saurus warriors since I just shat them out early knowing Kroq was going to make them mean as gently caress really quickly while maintaining manageable upkeep.

e: I'm not sure if it's random, but I think you usually get blessed terradons early in for one of the quests as well. They're not a wonderous unit, but they'll do well to wreck shards while Saurus engage the line.

JBP fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Oct 30, 2017