Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
So what do you do at that point? New engine? Or do you flush it with oil for an hour and hope for the best?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
New engine. If they hadn't tried to start it with the washer fluid in the oil, you might get away with a couple of flushes. However, once you whip it into tart apple mouse, I'd wager the crank is shot.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Memento posted:

Couple from the front page of imgur.

Rubber cement and tape.

"I just poured washer fluid in until it was full, and now it won't start?!?"

Ah yes the "stiff peaks" phase of beating your motor oil.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

sharkytm posted:

New engine. If they hadn't tried to start it with the washer fluid in the oil, you might get away with a couple of flushes. However, once you whip it into tart apple mouse, I'd wager the crank is shot.

Someone who is ignorant enough to put washer fluid in the oil fill port was almost certainly ignorant enough to drive it until it stopped running; Thing is probably locked up tight.

Englishman alone
Nov 28, 2013
There is a Toyata Corolla crash test 1998 vs 2015 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xidhx_f-ouU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Memento posted:

Couple from the front page of imgur.

Rubber cement and tape.

"I just poured washer fluid in until it was full, and now it won't start?!?"

The stupidity on display is truly impressive

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Englishman alone posted:

There is a Toyata Corolla crash test 1998 vs 2015 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xidhx_f-ouU

Why was the 98's airbag removed?

Also, that 15's a-pillar failed. That's uh...not cool.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

where are they finding these perfect 20-year-old cars to smash

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Have you met Toyota owners?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Jeez, with how terribly that 98 did, I'm surprised they thought an airbag would do anything anyway

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Godholio posted:

Disagree that the a pillar "failed"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It bent and creased a bit, but it still prevented anything from getting into the passenger area.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I almost did that windshield fluid into the wrong part of the car thing once. Then I noticed the big flapper valve-looking seal with a windshield on it and poured it into the correct tank instead.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Years ago when I was still wrenching, a friend of mine's father noticed some clear water under the car after he got home on a hot day. It was aircon drain, obviously. So of course he assumed his coolant was leaking and poured water into the engine until it was full. He left it there overnight, and then started it the next day to go to work. He made it down the end of the street before it poo poo itself. Brand new VT Calais, so this would have been 1997.

It should be something told to all car buyers when they pick it up. If you don't know exactly what the gently caress you're doing, leave the 710 cap alone.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Godholio posted:

ANCAP is Australian. Airbag in a 1998 AU delivery Corolla was a $900 option.

I think Toyota was one of the few at the time prepared to have the option as its own line item (i.e. not packaged): Around that time I remember it being pretty typical to stump up for a CD changer and alloy wheels you didn't want to get the airbag you did want.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I almost did that windshield fluid into the wrong part of the car thing once. Then I noticed the big flapper valve-looking seal with a windshield on it and poured it into the correct tank instead.

Guilty as charged...Coolant and washer flaps were next to eachother. Did a radiator change then topped it up realizing my mistake. Blame it on the "I'm in the home stretch let's get it done". Caught it and was able to drain the tank.

But dumping into the crankcase...yikes.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Memento posted:

Years ago when I was still wrenching, a friend of mine's father noticed some clear water under the car after he got home on a hot day. It was aircon drain, obviously. So of course he assumed his coolant was leaking and poured water into the engine until it was full. He left it there overnight, and then started it the next day to go to work. He made it down the end of the street before it poo poo itself. Brand new VT Calais, so this would have been 1997.

It should be something told to all car buyers when they pick it up. If you don't know exactly what the gently caress you're doing, leave the 710 cap alone.

He thought he had a leak and thought just filling it back up would fix it?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Cojawfee posted:

He thought he had a leak and thought just filling it back up would fix it?

Yup.

It's that whole thing with people being successful at something, and deciding that means they're successful at everything. The guy was the national manager for a maritime insurance company, made a ton of money, "I can fix that how hard can it be?" kind of mindset.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Godholio posted:

It says in the description that the airbag, along with abs, were part of a $990 option.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
That interior shot of the 1998 Corolla makes me loving cringe.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

tetrapyloctomy posted:

That interior shot of the 1998 Corolla makes me loving cringe.

and the accident was pretty horrifying too

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Fermented Tinal posted:

It says in the description that the airbag, along with abs, were part of a $990 option.

I somehow did not realize these weren't US-spec.

Edit: And yeah I guess the pillar didn't quite fail, but it's certainly at it's limit.

Edit2: V Yeah, I noticed it the second time.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Oct 30, 2017

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Godholio posted:

I somehow did not realize these weren't US-spec.

Edit: And yeah I guess the pillar didn't quite fail, but it's certainly at it's limit.

The US spec cars are not normally shipped with right hand drive. :v:

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

This was good and I appreciated it.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried

Cojawfee posted:

Jeez, with how terribly that 98 did, I'm surprised they thought an airbag would do anything anyway

My van is based on a design from 1994 and has an airbag. I assume it's to lull you into a false sense of security before the A-pillar, dash and engine smash you face clean off.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

They should really tell new drivers "if its screwed on dont touch it"
Washer cap is usually the easiest one to get at so even if all the markings are gone and you are blind you could just go by what opens easiest.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
I had a friend do the opposite and fill oil into her coolant reservoir. She drove a couple hundred kilometers like that until the nagging feeling in the back of her head that something wasn't quite right got the best of her and she let a mechanic check it out. They flushed it a couple of times and it seems alright...for now.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Well I mean yeah, oil isnt as good but its also part of the cooling system and doesnt hurt anything in that environment.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Extra lubrication for the water pump :colbert:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
That's probably the most harmless automotive fluid fuckup you could make. I guess aside from the fact that whatever reason you needed to add oil still applies. As long as the oil doesn't cause the coolant to sludge up I'd expect it'd work just fine.

Lots of poo poo can cause coolant to sludge up though so I wouldn't be putting poo poo willy-nilly in to my cooling system.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Cars designed in the 90s weren't all bad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8J7B9lqPSE

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What speed do they do these tests at? Because my head-on was at about 35 in a 2008 and it had that level of damage where it initially looked repairable, but once the adjuster saw it they wrote it off.

These cars are getting unbelievably hosed over, are they doing this at 50 mph?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Was it a direct head-on? Most of those videos are offset crashes, where the same amount of force is going through generally <50% of the car's structure, along with loading it asymmetrically (hence why you see stuff like crash-side A-pillars folding like a limp noodle while the other side is mostly intact). Straight head-ons are way easier to design for.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
The cars are probably more well-aligned to one another than in a real world collision. They're hitting dead nuts on (with respect to the offset) with not a lot of deflection until the crumple-zones have crushed. Remember, they have to simulate worst-case scenarios.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Mine was an offset.. basically driver's headlight to driver's headlight, not a 50% like these videos show.

edit - actually, loading up the old pictures I guess it was a lot more glancing than I remembered. Nevermind then!

xzzy fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 30, 2017

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

xzzy posted:

What speed do they do these tests at? Because my head-on was at about 35 in a 2008 and it had that level of damage where it initially looked repairable, but once the adjuster saw it they wrote it off.

These cars are getting unbelievably hosed over, are they doing this at 50 mph?

US testing is at 40mph.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

MrYenko posted:

Someone who is ignorant enough to put washer fluid in the oil fill port was almost certainly ignorant enough to drive it until it stopped running; Thing is probably locked up tight.

And if I recall the story correctly, he was stupid enough to add several *gallons* of washer fluid. Like, what car ever has taken more than one gallon of washer fluid?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Small overlap tests nowadays are like 20% or something, aren't they?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

Well-played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Adding washer fluid to the coolant loop probably would be pretty benign, right? It's still mostly just water and the methanol content should help keep the freezing point depressed. Better than running the engine with the coolant low, anyway.