Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

DoubleNegative posted:

Here we can see the machine activating its blinkenlights features.

I see that machine and my mind goes right to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1WemnsB98o

Anyway thanks for plodding through this beautiful yet maddening game! KQVI was my favorite so I’m looking forward to your take on it.

JOLLO!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

mauman posted:

Welp, the worst is over (well, 8 aside).

There is no KQ8.
And not, this is not some sort of Fanon Discontinuity: the regular series stops at 7, Mask of Eternity is conisidered a pareallel work, sharing only the setting with the adventure games.

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc

Bloops Crust posted:

I think the King's Quest V audio switch glitch deserves special mention...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqunFIEI1IY

If you play the DOS version with the Windows CD in, the dialogue gets switched around and it's super hilarious.

"No more for today!"

Daaaaamn! Cedric's balls finally dropped!

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Guy Fawkes posted:

There is no KQ8.
And not, this is not some sort of Fanon Discontinuity: the regular series stops at 7, Mask of Eternity is conisidered a pareallel work, sharing only the setting with the adventure games.

As much as I wish this was true, it's not.

It's been called by KQ8 by publications, GoG, the developer of the new King's Quest, Roberta Williams.

It's KQ8 :saddowns:

mauman fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Oct 29, 2017

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

mauman posted:

It's KQ8 :saddowns:

But not KQVIII.

The real ones have Roman numerals.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Nidoking posted:

But not KQVIII.

The real ones have Roman numerals.

Actually....uh....I hate to break it to you, but they do use the roman numerals. Or at least some of the references do.

I was just being lazy.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

EorayMel posted:

This is the TRUE canonical ending to King's Quest 5:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Soa_yptl1mw

Bloops Crusts posted:

I think the King's Quest V audio switch glitch deserves special mention...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqunFIEI1IY

If you play the DOS version with the Windows CD in, the dialogue gets switched around and it's super hilarious.

Mandatory clicks

The end of the first video and most of the second one had me in stitches.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Out of all the King's Quest games, this is the one that most people regard the highest. It has the least bullshit and is generally pretty friendly for a Sierra adventure game. Unlike the previous game that was lousy with them, there are only a tiny handful of dead man walking scenarios, all of which are only present on the path to the best ending.

Yes, there are two paths to the end of the game; both paths are different, but the only difference at the end is who is present in the final cutscene. The longer path is a lot more fun than the shorter one, as well. So to that end, I will just show off the path to the best ending and full points, which also tells a better story.

Speaking of Story

It's been several months since the deus ex machina at the end of King's Quest V. In that time, all Alexander has done is think about the girl he met for all of five minutes, Cassima. When he sees her face in the magic mirror, he finally sets out to find the place where she lives, a place nobody has ever heard of, the Land of the Green Isles.

Spoilers?

The story and the puzzles are why we're here. Don't be a dick, spoiler tag your poo poo.

The Updates

#1 - Mirror Mirror on the Wall
#2 - The World Famous Talking Bear
#3 - What a Totally Believable Coincidence
#4 - The Magic Smap
#5 - A Tour of the Islands
#6 - Exam Puzzle #1

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Nov 14, 2017

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Hello everyone. We've arrived at the good one.

Welcome to King's Quest VI. drat it feels good to be able to say that. I've been anxiously waiting to get to this one.

By the way, this whole update is available in video form. Click here to watch it.

: Long ago, in the castle of a kingdom called Daventry...

King's Quest VI - Opening Movie and Introduction

King's Quest VI admittedly doesn't start off on the right foot. The opening cutscene aged pretty poorly. Alexander here looks like he's made of clay. It's also the only cutscene of its type in the game, so just grin and bear it for now. The game looks a whole hell of a lot better after this.

: Alexander! Here you are! You're still not thinking about Cassima, are you?
: Hmmm? I suppose I am.
: Son, it's been MONTHS. You've GOT to pull yourself together. After all, you only met her that once...

drat. Alex has got it bad for that cute girl he met once for all of five minutes.

By the way, if you're watching along with the cutscene, then you might find Alexander's voice a tad familiar. Unlike King's Quest V, where programmers, QA people, and Roberta Williams did all the voices, Sierra dished out some money to get professional voice talent. Alexander here is voiced by Robby Benson, who had the starring role a year prior in one of Disney's most famous animated movies.

Yep, that's the voice of the Beast playing Alexander. The narrator is done by Bill Ratner, who played Flint in the GI Joe cartoon, a shitload of narrators all over, and Ambassador Udina in the Mass Effect games. You can also hear Tony Jay doing several voices in the game as well.

: I know.
: Have you discovered anything about the Land of the Green Isles?
: No! No one's even heard of it! It's like she's just vanished!
: I wish I could help. Please try to think about something else, dear.
: I'll try, Mother.

: Despite his family's concern, Alexander remains tormented by thoughts of Cassima.
: Hours pass...

: --ander..

: --lexander...

: Alexander, I feel so alone... I don't know what to do.

: Alexander, I wish you were here. Alexander...

: Cassima! Wait!

: MOTHER! MOTHER, COME QUICK!
: Alexander, what on earth? You're white as a ghost!

: Mother, I saw Cassima! She was in the mirror!
: In the mirror? The magic mirror?
: Yes! And it showed me how to find her!
: How?

: The stars! I saw the stars outside her window! I can navigate by the stars!
: Oh, Alexander... If you really go...
: It will be alright, Mother. I promise.

By the way, that token appearance from the magic mirror? That was the last time any of the three treasures from King's Quest I appear in the games. Who knows, they might appear in King's Quest VIII. But playing that is like playing Ultima IX... nobody does it unless they're deliberately playing lovely games for the Internet.

Early 90s CGI is not a pretty thing.

: Three long months Prince Alexander sailed the known seas... and beyond.

The camera is doing a lot of sweeping shots that look really nice but bloat the size of a gif.

: Land ho. Land ho! LAND HO!

I see Graham sent Alexander out with the most trustworthy sailors in the kingdom.

: As the ship nears the shore, day turns to night and the sea turns violent...

:ohdear: Looks like Alexander's ship ran into a problem.

Fancy.

King's Quest VI - The Beach

: Alexander awakens to find himself on an unfamiliar beach. For a moment, he is too dazed to remember how he got here.

: Then he does remember. The shipwreck... sea. Just as he had seen his men safely into the life boats, a gigantic wave picked him up and tossed him overboard, into the churning sea.
: That was the last he'd seen of his crew. Debris from the shipwreck is scattered along the shore, but of the life boats and his men, there is thankfully no trace.
: He can only hope and pray that the life boats survived the currents, and that his men made their way safely back to Daventry.

So, once again, welcome to King's Quest VI. Alexander just survived a shipwreck against all odds and is now standing on an unfamiliar shore. We'll begin the LP proper next time, but for now, let's take a look at the interface.

This is still the standard VGA interace. The icons have changed around, but you can look at them and intuit what they all do by this point. Even if this is, somehow, the first game in this thread you're reading, you can probably still make educated guesses about what the icons do.

The options screen is the same as usual. Don't let the 231 points fool you, this game takes about 4 hours if you plow straight through to the best ending without stopping to explore along the way. The "DUAL" button at the bottom is something added by ScummVM which lets me have text on the screen while the narrator's voice plays. For instance, if I...

This will make copying from my transcript a lot easier, because I can just page through my recording without having to stop to listen to it every 3 seconds. I'll still probably do that anyway, because I loving love this game. It was the first adventure game I ever played, and it still holds up even after 25 years.

So to end this update, let's go for a swim in the ocean. We'll start this LP off on the right foot.

ocean

: The ocean is not as calm as it appears. Underwater currents tug at Alexander's legs.

King's Quest VI is about as friendly and welcoming as a Sierra point and click title will get. In none of the games has it ever been a particularly good idea to go out swimming in the ocean. The other five will kill you for even trying. 6, though? 6 warns you. If you wade out thigh deep in the water, you get this message, and it's your chance to turn around. Let's push our luck.

ocean

: The underwater tow is amazingly strong here. It pulls ferociously at Alexander's legs. Before Alexander can retreat, the current grabs his legs! The shifting sand vanishes from beneath his feet! Against his best efforts, he is dragged out to sea!

: The currents around the island pull Alexander under! As Alexander struggles to the surface for the third and last time, he finds himself wishing he'd paid more attention to the warning signs of an undertow!

: Tickets only. NEXT!

That's a good place to stop for now.

NEXT TIME: We explore the island and get our bearings.

Register of Deaths

Swimming in the ocean

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc
Robby Benson also provided the voice for the lead character in The Legend Of Prince Valiant cartoon.

Say what you will about the intro, there's another version of the game in which it's worse by far. The animation is glitchy as heck and the voice acting is on par with the voice acting from King's Quest V.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

DoubleNegative posted:

Yes, there are two paths to the end of the game; both paths are different, but the only difference at the end is who is present in the final cutscene. The longer path is a lot more fun than the shorter one, as well. So to that end, I will just show off the path to the best ending and full points, which also tells a better story.
Hm, I didn't actually realize there were two paths, I always just assumed that if you didn't follow the full-points path you'd eventually hit a DMW scenario. I totally understand not replaying the game a separate time to show it off, but if you wouldn't mind, I'd find it interesting if you called out the shorter path/optional items as you go along.

quote:

The stars! I saw the stars outside her window! I can navigate by the stars!
This might be a dumb question, but is this actually possible? I know you can navigate directions based on the stars, but can you actually glance at a star pattern from miles away, look up at the stars above you, and then figure out the proper directions to sail to get from here-to-there?

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

MagusofStars posted:

Hm, I didn't actually realize there were two paths, I always just assumed that if you didn't follow the full-points path you'd eventually hit a DMW scenario. I totally understand not replaying the game a separate time to show it off, but if you wouldn't mind, I'd find it interesting if you called out the shorter path/optional items as you go along.

This might be a dumb question, but is this actually possible? I know you can navigate directions based on the stars, but can you actually glance at a star pattern from miles away, look up at the stars above you, and then figure out the proper directions to sail to get from here-to-there?

I do hope at least a little bit of the easy path is shown.

If only to highlight Cassima's You Dun hosed Up Speech, and Alexander's reaction. :allears:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

MagusofStars posted:

Assuming that the mirror is realtime? Yes, with a caveat
Measure the apparent elevation to the horizon of three* stars; use hopefully accurate star charts to see what is the absolute position of those three stars at the current time; lastly, calculate your current position (or Cassima's position in this case) by seeing where on Earth those stars assume the apparent configuration you're seeing.

Caveat, Alexander saw the pattern for all of five seconds so I have no idea how he got reasonably accurate measurements out of that.

*I think you might actually need only two stars

E: keep in mind the mirror needs to be realtime. With an one hour delay you'd get an error roughly the size of France's width

Omobono fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Oct 29, 2017

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
If you consider Mask of Eternity to be the eighth King's Quest game (I believe I've made my opinion perfectly clear), then every even-numbered King's Quest game begins with a vision in the magic mirror. It was a thing.

There is one DMW situation that comes up before the paths split, and the warning you get is only a warning if you're aware that it doesn't happen if you're adequately prepared. The good news is that it leads to a fairly unique death, which can also be found if you have what you need to avoid it but are determined to die that way anyway.

It's also not too far out of the way to get to the short path, if you know when the split happens. You can preserve a save before the split and just play through the short path ending. There are a few unique puzzles and at least one conversation that I think goes a fair bit better in the short version, but certainly not something that needs to be in an LP.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

Keeping a save just after completing the voice actor's tie in should set you up to cover the 2nd path, once you start going the long way the short one is closed off to you.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh, huh, the underworld is an actual place? Makes me think we'll be heading there.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

DoubleNegative posted:

Who knows, they might appear in King's Quest VIII. But playing that is like playing Ultima IX... nobody does it unless they're deliberately playing lovely games for the Internet.

Oh. Ohhhhhhhhhhh. Okay, I suddenly get how bad KQ8 is.

I'm a huge Ultima fan (VII:BG was the first computer RPG I ever played) - are the arguments against KQ8 similar, i.e. it's a buggy pile of trash and they just took a poo poo all over the history built up in previous games?

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

Oh. Ohhhhhhhhhhh. Okay, I suddenly get how bad KQ8 is.

I'm a huge Ultima fan (VII:BG was the first computer RPG I ever played) - are the arguments against KQ8 similar, i.e. it's a buggy pile of trash and they just took a poo poo all over the history built up in previous games?

That's pretty accurate. Ultima IX is still worse but Mask of Eternity is pretty god-awful.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

i think you should do the short path then reload to do the long path, because that will let you play more kings quest 6, which is a good game

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

where the red fern gropes posted:

i think you should do the short path then reload to do the long path, because that will let you play more kings quest 6, which is a good game

No, doing the short path first would spoil a good chunk of the long path's ending. Better to do the long path while keeping a save to cover the short ending in a bonus update.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I can now only see the Narrator as Ambassador Udina constantly yelling at Alexander for causing a political shitstorm.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Serifina posted:

That's pretty accurate. Ultima IX is still worse but Mask of Eternity is pretty god-awful.

It's honestly a very similar comparison. It's a main-line game, but somehow still a spin-off, that takes a relatively beloved classic and suddenly makes it an action platformer/combat game rather than the old gameplay people have come to expect. If I remember right they even look and play relatively similar, with the main difference that KQ8 doesn't poo poo on established canon like Ultima IX does and it doesn't require a team of dedicated software engineers to play it for longer than five minutes without crashing. It's less of a buggy piece of poo poo, is what I'm suggesting.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I cracked open my King's Quest companion (come to think of it, I could have used some sections to accompany the LP earlier) and Alexander has a pretty good explanation about the different magic types. It's all "hey, magic is mysterious and hard to comprehend completely by definition. Only total nerds really smug wizards would believe they know all about how magic works based on a highly limited sample. Also, the multiverse is real, and Lovecraft's work was a documentary. Ya Cthulhu Ftaghn. "

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

Alexander worked from the 'magick of olde', Crispin might be working from something newer.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

I had forgotten how terrible early 90s CGI was. Ugh!

Of course, at the time it seemed cool.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

There's charming 90's CGI and then there's that. The pixelation is so bad I'm surprised they went with it at all.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Comstar posted:

I can now only see the Narrator as Ambassador Udina constantly yelling at Alexander for causing a political shitstorm.

drat it SHEP--ALEXANDER, the council won't like this

yeah, checks out

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

KQ6 not only has the fewest DMW and bullshit puzzles, it has probably one of the most coherent plot progressions in the series

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Xander77 posted:

I cracked open my King's Quest companion
Also, KQ6 has the best manual in the series. Pretty much up there with the Quest for Glory manuals, with a lot of in-universe fiction. If I were running the LP, I'd just quote bits of lore that the player was meant to have read as we come to each island.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Definitely helps when, as someone here mentioned earlier, all of the NPCs have actual personalities and add to the narrative as opposed to just being set dressing or a puzzle to be solved to progress.

I mean, in some ways that is still what a few of them are but there was more effort than...most of the people in KQV

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
I think there was only one truly bullshit puzzle in KQ6, but that only comes up near the end of the long path through the game.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Aces High posted:

Definitely helps when, as someone here mentioned earlier, all of the NPCs have actual personalities and add to the narrative as opposed to just being set dressing or a puzzle to be solved to progress.

I mean, in some ways that is still what a few of them are but there was more effort than...most of the people in KQV

I don't know what you're talking about. It was rather ice to meet the snow queen. And that hermit! Man, he was certainly solitary, beardy, and eccentric. Depth!

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc

Snorb posted:

I think there was only one truly bullshit puzzle in KQ6, but that only comes up near the end of the long path through the game.

I think I know which puzzle you mean. Let's wait and see if I'm right...

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

i like the part where alexander is in the two good kings quest games

i've already forgotten what 4 was about (not joking; reminder please?)

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Rosella settles a fairy turf war while searching for magical HGH for her ailing dad.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Anime Reference posted:

Rosella settles a fairy turf war while searching for magical HGH for her ailing dad.

the biggest disappointment of V is that Graham did not just punch Mordack's magic forms to win

punching a ring of fire so hard it goes out, seems fine to me?

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016

i like the part where alexander is in the two good kings quest games

Fruity fairies.

King's Quest IV has not stopped being relevant to the storyline of the series and it's events will come up again.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Hello everyone and welcome back to King's Quest VI. Before we move on, there's a couple items on this screen that we need to pick up sooner rather than later. They're an unfortunate holdover from the previous game, a few glinting pixels. As best I can remember, the items on this screen are the only such occurrences in the game. So let's just roll our eyes at the bad design holdouts and move on.

glinting pixels

: Alexander's royal insignia ring lies abandoned on the sand. It must have slipped from his finger during the shipwreck. Fortunately, it was not lost in the sea.

ring

: Alexander picks up his royal insignia ring from the beach.

The other item on this screen is a little harder to find, and when I first played this it took me ages to realize you could do this. Do you see that plank to the right side of the screen, that looks like background decoration?

wooden plank

: A long plank lies on the beach. No doubt it once belonged to Alexander's ship.

wooden plank

: Alexander pushes the plank to one side. A box has been partially buried under sand.

Bear in mind, this was my very first adventure game. I'd never even heard of Sierra at that point. I was like... 8 when this game came out, and we'd just gotten our first Windows-based PC. so the fact that something like this...

Was even doable was beyond me at the time.

box

: Alexander's treasure box lies partially buried in the sand. It must have washed ashore with the other ship debris.

box

The glinting pixels in here stand out, and most importantly, there are no time constraints here. So I'm feeling more inclined to be kind to these pixel hunts as a result. Plus there's no impending game overs if we don't get them. This beach ain't going anywhere, and we can't get very far in the game without the ring or the tiny coin in this box.

coin

: Alexander takes the coin and leaves the ruined box where it is.

The inventory is largely the same as usual. Though we can now talk to our inventory objects for a funny line or two.

: Alexander is carrying a copper coin of Daventry. King Graham graces the front of the coin.
: Alexander rubs his fingers over the indentation of King Graham's face on the copper coin, and thinks fondly of home.
: Ah, if only Alexander's father could speak now and give his advice!

: If an owl starts talking to you, kill it on sight.

: Alexander's ring is made of the purest gold and has the insignia of the royal family of Daventry on its face
: Alexander is already wearing his ring.
: Reminiscing of home is fine, but the ring is not a very good listener.

I've played this game so many times over the years, and I didn't even try playing with the inventory until I was doing my test run for the LP. So even 25 years later I'm still finding out new stuff to love about this game. Anyway, let's get on with the game.

north

tree

: A grand old tree stretches its luxurious limbs out over the crossroads.

village

: To the left, a small village seems to invite the weary traveler.

castle

: In the distance, a majestic castle shines in the sun.

We're going to the castle for this update. To get maximum points, we have to introduce ourselves at the castle before we do too much on the island. There are a bunch of optional dialogues you can only get if you do things in strange orders. For instance, if we never go to the castle to introduce ourselves, we'll eventually hit a game over at the very, very end when we need a plot critical NPC to recognize who we are.

To get that game over, you have to go well out of your way to trigger it. So I don't really consider it a proper DMW scenario. I mean, yes, it is... but not in the King's Quest V sense. Plus the guards at the local castle will probably have a pretty good idea of where we are and if Cassima is nearby. Who knows, it may even be her castle. It totally is.

northeast

I like the little touch that you can see characters walking up the path to the castle.

King's Quest VI - The Castle

Those guards look rather strange. Let's get a closer look.

guards

: Two guards take their stance in front of the castle doors. They look quite fierce and have the stiff, blank expression of soldiers on formal duty.

Let's introduce ourselves.

guards

: Alexander politely addresses the odd-looking guards at the castle doors, hoping to learn more about his predicament.

: Good day to you, guards. I was cast upon this island in a storm, and I'm a little confused about my location. Could you tell me what place this is, and who lives in this castle?
: Eh? What is that you say? A castaway? A likely story! We haven't had any foreigners in this part since Alhazred arrived.
: Don't be so rude, Gruff! He is not asking for any secrets.

Guard dogs. Oh that's bad. :haw:

: You're standing on the Isle of the Crown, lad, and this is the Castle of the Crown. The royal family resides here. Or, rather, what is left of the royal family.
: The Isle of the Crown? But tell me, am I anywhere near the Land of the Green Isles?
: This IS the Land of the Green Isles! The Isle of the Crown is the main island, foolish boy!
: Then Princess Cassima must live in this very castle!
: Aye! The princess is indeed our treasured jewel to guard--and we consider it an honor!

Well, we at least learned we wound up where we intended. Now we just need to get in to see Cassima to... I don't know what Alexander's intentions are here, or what he even hopes to accomplish. I guess he wants to give Cassima this note he wrote.

We need to talk to the guards to continue, by the way.

: Excuse me, guardsmen... er... guard dogs. I've been traveling for months to see Princess Cassima. I would like an audience, please.
: I'm sorry, but the princess is not receiving visitors. Particularly not strangers.

And again. By the way, at any point in this process we could shortcut the proceedings by just showing the right item.

: I really must see the princess. Could I please speak with someone in charge?
: Who are you that I should bother Captain Saladin?
: My name is Alexander. I'm a prince of Daventry and a friend of the princess.
: A prince is it? I see. And I am Lord of this dusty path! Step aside! You'll not be getting into the castle without some proof of your claims!

I should actually be using a third dog for the portrait in the above dialogue. The game doesn't try very hard to keep the different guard dogs straight. There's at least six different guard dog voices, including Josh Mandel just straight up doing his King Graham voice for one. It's hard to get an accurate bead on how many guards there even are because, as you can see, even in the same conversation the game is changing voices around. There's also a bad Clint Eastwood impression in the bunch as well. So I guess that makes seven?

For the purposes of the LP, and to keep things easier on my end, I'm only ever going to use and . Just imagine different voices each time they speak up and you'll more or less have the same experience as playing the game. Anyway, to make a long story short, the game finally outright told us what it wants us to do. So...

: Alexander decides to try his royal insignia ring on the guards. With all of his papers lost in the shipwreck, it is the only possible proof of his identity that he can think of.

: Perhaps this ring will convince you of my identity. It is the royal insignia ring of Daventry.
: Hmph. I'm sure. Just let me look at that ring.
: Well, er... *cough* I'm sorry, your highness. It's just that princes are so uncommon in these parts. Let me get Captain Saladin.

: The guard returns a moment later with a majestic-looking creature. Captain Saladin speaks with a voice that is gentle but reflects a will of iron.

: Prince Alexander of Daventry, I presume. I'm afraid I'm unfamiliar with your country, but I'm sure Vizier Alhazred will want to meet you--if indeed, you are a friend of the princess. Please, follow me.

This is Tony Jay's primary role in the game, though he does voice a number of smaller one-off characters as well.

King's Quest VI - Lord Abdul Alhazred **Recommended Listening**

: Lord Alhazred, a visitor to see you. Prince Alexander of Daventry.
: What is it that you seek, Prince Alexander?

By the way, the mysterious shirtless guy's eye twinkles gold. Something to keep in mind. Also, this guy is literally named Abdul Alhazared. Gee I wonder if he's the primary antagonist.

: Pardon the intrusion, my lord, but I came to see Princess Cassima. Some months ago my father, King Graham, saved my family and I from imprisonment under an evil wizard named Mordack.
: The same wizard that kidnapped the princess?
: Exactly. When my father rescued us, he also liberated Cassima and sent her home.
: Then your father has my gratitude, and that of the entire kingdom, but I'm afraid I still fail to see the purpose of your visit.
: *ahem* Well, I came to make sure that Cassima arrived safely and to pay my respects. Before we parted, she gave me an invitation to visit.
: I have no doubt she did exactly that at the time, Prince Alexander. However, things have greatly changed for Cassima since her ordeal in Mordack's castle.
: Cassima's parents both became ill and died while she was gone. Cassima is sequestered in mourning for them, as befits a princess. She is not receiving visitors of ANY kind.
: Even if she were, I do not think YOUR visit would be... appropriate. You see, it is time for Cassima to take her responsibilities seriously. With her parents gone, she no longer has the luxury to be a carefree maiden.
: As was her parents' wish, Cassima and I are to be wed. We shall rule the kingdom together. I assure you, our marriage is all Cassima wants now. As a prince and a gentleman, it would be best that you leave before there is any further... embarrassment.

This makes her last line in King's Quest V really sad. :smith:

Cassima, in KQ5 posted:

: Yes, that's right! I can't wait to see my parents again! Good-bye, Alexander. Perhaps we'll meet again.

: I see. I suppose that I was mistaken. I thought for certain that Cassima... Well, I apologize.
: A young man sees what he wishes to see. I'm sorry you've wasted your time traveling to the Land of the Green Isles. May your journey home be swift.
: Perhaps I will take the opportunity to look around your fair land while I'm here.
: I would advise against that. The kingdom is rather, shall we say, 'inhospitable' these days. But it is YOUR neck. You may risk it if you please.
: Captain Saladin will escort you from the castle. Good day.

Curious that Alexander didn't mention that his ship wrecked on the shore and he was stranded here. Though I can hardly blame him for not revealing more to Alhazred.

: You have had your hearing with Vizier Alhazred. I trust you'll respect his wishes and not return. I have been instructed NOT to let you into the castle again. Good day, m'lord.

: Captain Saladin whispers something to the guard dogs at the castle gate, and they nod with understanding. Alexander has a feeling they won't be letting HIM into the castle again.

Just to drive the point home...

: Please, if you'll only be reasonable. I really must see the princess.
: Begone! You're not welcome at the castle, Prince Alexander of Daventry! We have our orders, and they are quite clear!

It will be an incredibly long time before we'll find ourselves back in the castle. In fact, we won't be in there again until we're ready to win. In the meantime, let's poke around some more.

west

wall

: The side of the castle is one big blank wall.

Someone should paint something there. It would look really nice. Maybe a big mural? Anyway, there's absolutely nothing we can do here beyond waste time. So now that we've been here, let's move on.

Back to the crossroads and into the village.

west

King's Quest VI - The Village **Recommended Listening*

The game has a very strong Arabian Nights theme. Alhazred has a vague accent that suggests Arabic origins, while the musical theme for the village has a "Middle Eastern" feel to it. Surprisingly for an early 90s game, it's not full of stereotypes. I guess Sierra got all of that out of its system with Shamir and the very strong Casablanca influences in QfG2.

Anyway, there's only two shops in the village that we can see: a pawn shop, and "Ali's Books". There's also the peddler dude camping out across from the bookstore. Let's talk to him first. While we're on screen, he periodically calls out...

: Old lamps for new! Old lamps... for new!

This is another Tony Jay voice performance because I guess they wanted to get their money's worth. Tony Jay won't appear again until we're committed to the long ending path.

: Good day, peddler.
: Good day, sir. If you would like to get one of my fine new lamps, I'll need an old lamp in trade.
: Isn't it rather a bad business--taking old lamps and giving new lamps in exchange?
: Well, there's always a chance that I'll find a genie. If I had a genie, I'd be richer than a king! Besides, there's always a roaring business in antique illuminaries.

Fair enough. We'll just... go over here now.

pawn shop

: Good day!

: Good day, merchant. What can you tell me about the Land of the Green Isles?
: I can tell you she is in a dark time. Without the ferry, communication between the islands has ground to a halt and so nearly has my business.
: Why the long ages of peace have ended, and why the Crown has not done something about it, is beyond me!
: But then, I am a shopkeeper, not a politician, and can only hope for better days.

I like this guy. It's never brought up in game, but his name is apparently Hakim.

Anway, let's get on to the meat of the update. We're going to look at some of the poo poo in this pawn shop... mostly the stuff that sticks out the most. Also some of the shelves because there's a bunch of flavor items on those as well.

wings

: A strange-looking winged device occupies one corner of the room. It is frail with disuse. Alexander finds it intriguing. Perhaps, he thinks, it was once used in a local sporting event in which enthusiasts jumped from cliffs, glided on air currents, and then attempted to land, frequently crunching a bone or two in the process. Alexander shudders at the thought and decides to stick to dragon-slaying.

bear

: Towering mightily over the other pawn shop curiosities, the stuffed bear makes an ostentatious display.

bear

: The world-famous talking bear has been sulking ever since his abduction from a small mountain community in California. He refuses to discuss real estate.

I guess someone stole a stuffed bear from the Sierra studios?

armor

: An old suit of armor stands in the pawn shop. It looks like a vigilant guard against thieves and carpet salesmen, even though it IS headless.

skeleton

: A tall skeleton lends an air of mystery to the shop.

skeleton

: He's speechless.

shelf next to the bear

: The back wall of the shop holds various odds and ends. For example...

: ...a hull-hole detector for finding those hard-to-spot holes in small sailboats.
: ...cat-cookie mix. "Play tricks on your friends," the box says.
: ...a golden bridle finder, for finding those nearly-invisible golden bridles.
: ...self-adhesive emeralds. "What you use when you don't have honey."
: ...tongue climbing gear. "Tested on over one hundred whale tongues."
: ...a uvula tickler. "Guaranteed to make large mammals sneeze."
: ...a cheese hook, for retrieving cheese out of small holes.
: ...a shovel that's "Guaranteed not to break for over one-hundred grave diggings!"
: ...a bridge repair kit, for when you've crossed a bridge one too many times.
: ...stair traction pads; "Stop slipping off those narrow staircases."

shelf behind Hakim

: The back wall of the shop holds various bottles and potions. For example...

: ...a bottle labeled "Owl Courage Potion," for spineless owls.
: ...a bottle of "Gnome-be-gone."
: ...miniature carpet cleaner. For those castles-in-a-bottle.
: ...bird's nest soup mix. Treasure not included.
: ...garlic especially grown for vampire resilience.
: ...magic mirror glass cleaner for "when your future looks fuzzy."
: ...shark repellant.
: ...a small box of "Enchanted Sorcerer's Flea and Tick Collars."

You know, I've wanted to do a LP of King's Quest VI for a very long time. Now that I'm here, I'm really glad that I did the whole rest of the series first. These items are a much funnier with context.

Finally, let's take a look at the counter.

counter

These four items are the important ones in the shop. Over the course of the adventure, we're going to use all of them.

thing on the far right

: Have you an interest in tinder boxes? This one is only slightly battered. It holds a good supply of flint, a sturdy striking pad, and even a candle in case you find yourself with naught else to hold the flame.

paintbrush

: Ah, yes, the painter's brush. It was well-used by one of the island's best painters. There is a lot of creativity in that brush, and its bristles are still in good condition.

flute

: The flute is only made of plain wood but its notes are fine and true.

bird

: I see you have noticed my mechanical nightingale. She is made of plain tin, but she sings the sweetest song you can imagine--barely distinguishable from the real thing.

: I'm just looking for now. I'll be back later.
: Of course. I will be happy to help you then.

Let's end the update there. It's running long and we're not done with exploring the village yet.

NEXT TIME: Ali's Bookshop, the west end of the island, strange children

List of Points

+1 - Claimed insignia ring
+1 - Moved wooden plank
+1 - Got Grahamcoin
+3 - Proof of identity
+2 - Audience with Vizier Alhazared

Total

8/231

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

I actually don't think that pixel hunt is too bad. One you have no time limit and can come back. Two, since it's the first screen if there's anywhere you're likely to sit around for a few extra seconds just staring at the screen, it's the first screen of the game while you're figuring out the interface.

DoubleNegative posted:

: Cassima's parents both became ill and died while she was gone. Cassima is sequestered in mourning for them, as befits a princess. She is not receiving visitors of ANY kind.
: Even if she were, I do not think YOUR visit would be... appropriate. You see, it is time for Cassima to take her responsibilities seriously. With her parents gone, she no longer has the luxury to be a carefree maiden.
: As was her parents' wish, Cassima and I are to be wed. We shall rule the kingdom together. I assure you, our marriage is all Cassima wants now. As a prince and a gentleman, it would be best that you leave before there is any further... embarrassment.
Both parents became ill and died at once, leaving Abdul in power. And their last wish just happened to be to make Abdul king. What an amazing coincidence!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted

DoubleNegative posted:

: My name is Princess Cassima from the Kingdom of the Green Isles. My father, the King, employs a horrible Vizier who befriended Mordack. When Mordack saw me, he immediately wished to marry me and bring me here.

I'm guessing Alexander didn't listen much to Graham when they got back to normal size. She did say that Abdul and Mordack were friends. Through it would have been interesting if Cassima had agreed to marry Mordack, because then there would likely be a showdown between those two villains.

• Locked thread