Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

i mean the house did settle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
So did his wife.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Phanatic posted:

So did his wife.

Goddamn.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Phanatic posted:

So did his wife.

:holymoley:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Phanatic posted:

So did his wife.

:iceburn:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Phanatic posted:

So did his wife.
https://twitter.com/BRENTHOR/status/923206898349953024

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
She is gonna string him up by the balls when it comes to child support just by pointing at this about saying "full custody, also, $$$"

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Yawgmoth posted:

She is gonna string him up by the balls when it comes to child support just by pointing at this about saying "full custody, also, $$$"

At least she won't get the house!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Facebook Aunt posted:

At least she won't get the house!

Or, it's become much easier to just take her half in handy pieces.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

there wolf posted:

I kind of like it. But then I also don't believe someone actually gilded eggshells and glued them down.

I'd be ok if they were delicate little porcelain pots instead of eggshells.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

And they want fifty dollars for it.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

As a dude with no sense of colour coordination I've always swore I'd paint everything eggshell. But not with actual egg shells.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
So, I decided to do a little more surround-sound wiring downstairs, by which I mean "start the surround-sound wiring downstairs." I'd placed gang boxes for the input side near the receiver and one behind the center speaker above the television, and figured I'd just run the RCA cable for the subwoofer really quickly today. I mean, the basement is set up perfectly for it -- there's a drop ceiling, and as you can see in the picture below there are even easy chaseways straight back and to either side from the column the television is on.

... only there isn't. That column the TV is on? The builder put a horizontal sheet of drywall on top of it (I'm guessing he built the side-to-side portion of the ceiling that's a bit lower first, since that's where some HVAC runs. HOwever, as I am a manlet, I was able to stick my arm in the hole I made for the center speaker gangbox, and chop a hole in it with a drywall knife. Still, come on, man.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

HOwever, as I am a manlet, I was able to stick my arm in the hole I made for the center speaker gangbox, and chop a hole in it with a drywall knife.

As a fellow spaghetti-arm-haver, let me tell you, that poo poo comes in handy SO MUCH when trying to be minimally invasive on old work.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Bad Munki posted:

As a fellow spaghetti-arm-haver, let me tell you, that poo poo comes in handy SO MUCH when trying to be minimally invasive on old work.

I was so happy I didn't have to chop another hole in the wall somewhere. I can't easily feed wires into the hole I made, though, so I might have to rig up some short lengths of conduit with PVC to make it all easier. I also still haven't decided where to put the front left and right speakers, either (the speaker stands are meant to be temporary). To get them thirty degrees left and right means I'd have to mount them sideways on that area at the edge of the drop ceiling, and mounting vertical speakers horizontally almost certainly screws with sound dispersion. I could also just move the speaker stands when I want better sound, I guess, but then I'd have to recalibrate the sound.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

tetrapyloctomy posted:

To get them thirty degrees left and right means I'd have to mount them sideways on that area at the edge of the drop ceiling, and mounting vertical speakers horizontally almost certainly screws with sound dispersion.

Ehhh this depends. Mounting them sideways broadly speaking narrows the ideal listening position, so if it's just you or maybe a narrow sofa it should be fine. The photo doesn't show the seating so hard to say, but if there's a wide array of sofas and chairs then yeah some of the seating positions are going to get some heavy dips.

That said, from the looks of it you're in a large room with lots of hard flat surfaces and very little to break up the echoes, so maybe it won't matter.

Try it and see.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Jaded Burnout posted:

Ehhh this depends. Mounting them sideways broadly speaking narrows the ideal listening position, so if it's just you or maybe a narrow sofa it should be fine. The photo doesn't show the seating so hard to say, but if there's a wide array of sofas and chairs then yeah some of the seating positions are going to get some heavy dips.

That said, from the looks of it you're in a large room with lots of hard flat surfaces and very little to break up the echoes, so maybe it won't matter.

Try it and see.

Not super-wide, no -- a futon and two chairs than get moved to near the futon when watching television due to poor off-angle picture: it was a cheap television I bought to fill the space, and a 50" LCD is the largest screen that will fit on that column, so it's the limit unless we put a television on the wall and the couch near the column. When I get around to it the attic is a much better place for a large television. Anyway, I'll have to fabricate some mounting plates anyway -- the speakers just have a single keyhole, so to mount them sideways and aim them a bit downward will require some work, and I guess I could also aim them toward the center a bit as well -- so the stands will stay for the time being.

Here's a picture pointed toward where I took the first image, for reference.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Buddy found this on a home inspection he was doing

Never seen a shower head exclusively for your balls

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Women use showers too, and that one looks pretty great although too amazingly indiscreet for real life. Just get the detachable handheld kind and then you can just pretend it's a cleaning thing (it is good for that too).

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

FCKGW posted:

Now I have seen this, my shower experience will always feel like something is missing

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

FCKGW posted:

Maybe that was for washing their dogs? Still, a shower wand would be better for that.

Also, everyone, that pipe is one of 3 methods for mounting bath spouts. Yes, the threads are the same as a shower arm.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

FCKGW posted:

Great way to vaporize your hemorrhoids.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

FCKGW posted:

It's a stand-up bidet of course.

You bend over and pull a goatse on it, and you are good to go!

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
That grout job is pissing me off.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
And here we have a push-stick with an RCA subwoofer cable and two speaker wires (left and right side surround) successfully pulled through the drop ceiling into the column.

I'm going to do the rear speakers some other day. I at least had the foresight to pull another length of wire through just so I could use it to pull the rear speaker wires through and not have to fish around with the stick again.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

tetrapyloctomy posted:

And here we have a push-stick with an RCA subwoofer cable and two speaker wires (left and right side surround) successfully pulled through the drop ceiling into the column.

I'm going to do the rear speakers some other day. I at least had the foresight to pull another length of wire through just so I could use it to pull the rear speaker wires through and not have to fish around with the stick again.

Rip in peace controller buttons

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Variable 5 posted:

He posted in the right thread. Har har har.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

tangy yet delightful posted:

He posted in the right thread. Har har har.

I’m still gutting my house after Harvey and Sheetrock dust gets everywhere :saddowns:

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

tetrapyloctomy posted:

They make pull string especially for that, you know.

Also, those Arlington low voltage old work boxes rule.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

FCKGW posted:

Did Lyndon B. Johnson live there?

http://gawker.com/lbj-was-obsessed-with-his-dick-1694599317

quote:

Vanity Fair today points out an excerpt from a forthcoming history of the White House called The Residence: Inside the Private World of the White House by Kate Anderson Brower. The section of the book about Johnson includes an anecdote about the presidential shower. According to Brower, it was very important that a newly installed jet stream be blasting water directly at Johnson's dick.

When told that it would be inconvenient to have a jet installed into the shower simply so that water could constantly shoot directly onto his cock, Johnson reportedly invoked the Vietnam War:

quote:

The 36th president of the United States reportedly refused to accept staff arguments that outfitting the shower with the demanded features—including one nozzle aimed "directly at the president's penis"—would require a great deal of plumbing work. "If I can move 10,000 troops in a day, you can certainly fix the bathroom any way I want it," Johnson told the staff, according to the book.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

if the subwoofer is powered (ie, you're just sending it line level signal), you're gonna enjoy life way more if you keep the runs of unbalanced audio cable as short as is humanly possible. more than ten feet starts to end in tears pretty quick.

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

FCKGW posted:

Maybe the bathroom has twenty foot ceilings, and the dick nozzle is just there to provide warmth?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Goredema posted:

Maybe the bathroom has twenty foot ceilings, and the dick nozzle is just there to provide warmth?

Maybe it's a totally normal shower head and the handle is on the ceiling.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I managed not to throw up between being a baby and being a 20 year old, so when I woke up at 4am in my parents' guest room feeling really...off...I didn't know what to do. All I knew is I couldn't quit making GBS threads long enough to do anything else with the toilet, so I had to grab the trash can and use it as a barf receptacle.

My dad asked the next morning if I didn't know a person could throw up in the toilet, you know, for clean up reasons. I can't remember if I yelled at him or cried, but he only stopped apologizing for it a couple years ago. Apparently HE had never had the barf-shits before, the lucky bastard.

So a few years ago I was in the hospital. I had to poo poo BAD. Bad enough that I couldn't waste much time getting my IV machine thing dragged into the bathroom (doing so required getting out of bed, unplugging it, dragging it with me to the bathroom, etc, and I was somewhat sedated). Nope, ripped the screw on part of the IV out of the catheter going into my arm, ran into the bathroom, pulled my pants down, and.... my rear end let loose before hitting the toilet, and I started puking at the same time. With what was left of the IV trying to turn it into a murder-poo poo scene with every beat of my heart.

The look on the nurse's face when I pulled the "hey I need help" cord in the bathroom.... :smithicide:

It's been several years and I still feel terrible about that. It took several people a good 30 minutes to clean the mess up. They brought me a massive bed pad after that and told me they'd much rather clean a lovely bed.

YamiNoSenshi posted:

My parents rented a house that was sagging in one corner. I stayed over one weekend and didn't notice it too much. Until I stumbled out of bed in the middle of the night to take a leak, and just kept stumbling all the way into the corner of the room.

Nothing in my apartment is square, and if you drop a large marble in the middle of a room, it'll wander around before settling into a corner... eventually. Anyone that comes over that hasn't been here before complains about feeling drunk the first few times they walk across my living room. I decided against setting my aquarium back up after moving here - the shelving unit next to my desk is against the baseboard at the floor, and about 6 inches away from the wall at the top. And visibly wobbles anytime even my cat walks across the room.

My place is very much crappy construction tales - this guy built every apartment and condo in this area (my place was originally condos, built in 1983, then converted into apartments). Bankrupted a few S&Ls along the way, and everything he built is slapped together as cheaply as possible (even cheaper than apartments and condos tend to do stuff).

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

SoundMonkey posted:

if the subwoofer is powered (ie, you're just sending it line level signal), you're gonna enjoy life way more if you keep the runs of unbalanced audio cable as short as is humanly possible. more than ten feet starts to end in tears pretty quick.
I ran everything wired to full length already and it sounds pretty good. I should be safe, "should" being the operative word that will cause lots of drinking later.

kid sinister posted:

They make pull string especially for that, you know.

Also, those Arlington low voltage old work boxes rule.
Yeah, I found myself late in the day with two more runs of wire not completed and the strong desire to clean the place up before my wife came downstairs. I had no pull string, but a loop of speaker wire wasn't going to use was nearby ... Anyway, yeah, the Arlington boxes are fantastic. I have a bunch more single-gang recessed boxes so I can hide the connections behind the speakers easily.

Variable 5 posted:

That's all cocaine, it's fine.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

So a few years ago I was in the hospital. I had to poo poo BAD. Bad enough that I couldn't waste much time getting my IV machine thing dragged into the bathroom (doing so required getting out of bed, unplugging it, dragging it with me to the bathroom, etc, and I was somewhat sedated). Nope, ripped the screw on part of the IV out of the catheter going into my arm, ran into the bathroom, pulled my pants down, and.... my rear end let loose before hitting the toilet, and I started puking at the same time. With what was left of the IV trying to turn it into a murder-poo poo scene with every beat of my heart.

The look on the nurse's face when I pulled the "hey I need help" cord in the bathroom.... :smithicide:

It's been several years and I still feel terrible about that. It took several people a good 30 minutes to clean the mess up. They brought me a massive bed pad after that and told me they'd much rather clean a lovely bed.

That's worthy of the healthcare stories thread.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

My place is very much crappy construction tales - this guy built every apartment and condo in this area (my place was originally condos, built in 1983, then converted into apartments). Bankrupted a few S&Ls along the way, and everything he built is slapped together as cheaply as possible (even cheaper than apartments and condos tend to do stuff).

Could someone clarify the difference between "apartment" and "condo"? In exchange I'll explain the difference between "apartment" and "flat" in the UK; there isn't one, except "apartment" is sometimes used to make it seem fancier, or sometimes when talking about multi-floor apartments since they're not "flat" anymore.

It's a "luxury flat" if you're arguing against gentrification, and a "luxury apartment" if you're selling them.

There's also bedsits.. sorry "studio" apartments..

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Oct 30, 2017

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Jaded Burnout posted:

Could someone clarify the difference between "apartment" and "condo"? In exchange I'll explain the difference between "apartment" and "flat" in the UK; there isn't one, except "apartment" is sometimes used to make it seem fancier, or sometimes when talking about multi-floor apartments since they're not "flat" anymore.

It's a "luxury flat" if you're arguing against gentrification, and a "luxury apartment" if you're selling them.

There's also bedsits.. sorry "studio" apartments..

You rent apartments and own condos. As far as I know that's it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jaded Burnout posted:

Could someone clarify the difference between "apartment" and "condo"?

With an apartment, a landlord owns the building and tenants pay to live there.

Condominiums are owned by individuals, typically the resident. There is a condo association that collects fees and owns and maintains common areas, roofs, exterior walls, &c..

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Ah, we have no such distinction (other than freehold/leasehold/rental).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Jaded Burnout posted:

Didn't the old one get closed recently?