Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

I have scored 79 out of the 80 necessary points on Picture Match four times in a row and I desire death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Phoix posted:

I have scored 79 out of the 80 necessary points on Picture Match four times in a row and I desire death.

It’s so finicky. Like my first attempt when I was still figuring out the rules I left Mario’s eye outside his actual head and got the exact same score my second attempt where everything was actually almost pretty close

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
took a dinner break and then nailed that bullshit jumprope on the next try

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

DACK FAYDEN posted:

No limit, and it's at every shop. But they don't check off the actual ones, just inflate your count for swag and unlocks.

I spent forever thinking these were part of the finite count for each kingdom and sunk an abysmal amount of time/coins into trying to unlock "all" of them.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Picture Match may just be the thing that discourages me from 100%ing this game

And the koopa line walk stuff

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

This bone costume better be worth an hour of grinding.
I'm dedicated to use it for the final stage.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Picture Match is easy as hell to get over 80 points on.

Are you certain you have the eyes on the right sides?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i am at 97 purple coins in the mushroom kingdom and have no idea where the last three are. are there some hidden in one of the pipes / tubes? are there three that are notoriously difficult to find? i've gotten them from behind peach's chair, i think i have all of them from the tops of buildings and trees, from the passage under the hill... i am stumped

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

alf_pogs posted:

i am at 97 purple coins in the mushroom kingdom and have no idea where the last three are. are there some hidden in one of the pipes / tubes? are there three that are notoriously difficult to find? i've gotten them from behind peach's chair, i think i have all of them from the tops of buildings and trees, from the passage under the hill... i am stumped

there is a waterfall at the edge of the world and 3 purple coins are hanging off of that.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Mothergently caress Freerunning 2 in Cap Kingdom. This gold bastard cheats or something, I swear, and I just don't have the dexterity/brain cells to figure this out. Any tips?

Edit: And of course, I get it immediately after posting. :argh:

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

there is a waterfall at the edge of the world and 3 purple coins are hanging off of that.

you might have actually just saved me, thankyou so much

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Pollyanna posted:

Mothergently caress Freerunning 2 in Cap Kingdom. This gold bastard cheats or something, I swear, and I just don't have the dexterity/brain cells to figure this out. Any tips?

I just rolled constantly. There are lots of hills to gain momentum on with that.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Any hints for the second moon in that blue/orange moving block room in Cap Kingdom? Trying to find it is completely kicking my rear end. :negative:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Kalsco posted:

Any hints for the second moon in that blue/orange moving block room in Cap Kingdom? Trying to find it is completely kicking my rear end. :negative:

Small hint: Take a look around once you get close to the end

Bigger hint: The moon is hidden in a moving block.

Answer: More specifically, the big L-shaped one near the time with all the 2 layers of moving platforms.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Good example of the type of movement tech you'll want to practice/learn. Longjump > Cap Throw > Dive > Cap Jump > Cap Throw > Dive

https://twitter.com/zh_switch/status/924807783052017664

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Lotta people saying the ending sequence is very similar to how most ending sequences go in modern Sonic games with the anime music. Buddy the difference is that Crush 40 is honking random anime lyrics about tons of different poo poo that maybe Sonic is involved with in the broadest of strokes but the lady singing the Honeylune Ridge Escape song is singing about you, Super Mario, kicking rear end in very specific ways

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Its a garbage song that sounds like trash. Doesn't matter what the lyrics are about :geno:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I played about 45 minutes of this at PAX and don't think I liked it. Does the difficulty ramp up in any meaningful way over time? I know 45 minutes isn't a lot of a game like this, but I found the art kind of jarring and when displayed on a huge TV the pop-in is pretty loving bad. Mario was going to sell me the Switch, but now I'm in two minds. If it becomes challenging after a while I'd probably still be keen, but from what I played it didn't feel like it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Internet Kraken posted:

Its a garbage song that sounds like trash. Doesn't matter what the lyrics are about :geno:

I think you'll find it's an amazing song and you can eat my whole rear end.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
gently caress I just realized why one of the guitar riffs in the Escape from Honeylune Ridge song sounded so familiar to me and I love it even more holy poo poo. Bowser's theme from Mario 64!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

JBP posted:

I played about 45 minutes of this at PAX and don't think I liked it. Does the difficulty ramp up in any meaningful way over time? I know 45 minutes isn't a lot of a game like this, but I found the art kind of jarring and when displayed on a huge TV the pop-in is pretty loving bad. Mario was going to sell me the Switch, but now I'm in two minds. If it becomes challenging after a while I'd probably still be keen, but from what I played it didn't feel like it.

The game really isn't any easier than other Mario titles. Sure, you might think it is compared to other Mario games, but you have to keep something in mind; there's no life counter in this game.

In every other Mario, if you gently caress up too many times you will inevitably lose a ton of progress. If you go back far enough a single death is enough to kick you out of the level entirely. The challenges in these games really aren't any harder than the stuff Odyssey throws at you. The difference is you won't be punished horribly for a single mistake, so its significantly easier to progress. I wouldn't really consider that a flaw though. While the satisfaction of overcoming a grueling challenge with no checkpoints is undeniable, most of the time it just ends up being a pain. Odyssey's approach of throwing out the life system and being more generous with checkpoints results in a better experience overall.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
That reminds me; what happens if you die without any coins and/or less than 10? Do you actually get a game over?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Fortis posted:

gently caress I just realized why one of the guitar riffs in the Escape from Honeylune Ridge song sounded so familiar to me and I love it even more holy poo poo. Bowser's theme from Mario 64!

Is the song supposed to be about or from Bowser's point of view, do you reckon?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'm guessing if you have less than 10, you just lose everything, and if you have 0, nothing happens. But like, you're almost always near at least 10 coins anyway.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

JBP posted:

some of the platform challenges and rooms that occur later on, especially in the postgame, are on par with some of the harder stuff from 3D world. i don't know if this game ever hits Galaxy 2 levels of difficulty, but if you want some challenging platform nonsense later on, you get it

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm guessing if you have less than 10, you just lose everything, and if you have 0, nothing happens. But like, you're almost always near at least 10 coins anyway.

It's this. No game overs for hitting zero.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
This game will never be as "hard" as Galaxy 2 because you don't have to fight with a wii mote to point at the proper thing on the screen.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

JBP posted:

No, that rushed 45 minute assessment done in a demo kiosk of a super busy convention floor is very correct

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Fortis posted:

That reminds me; what happens if you die without any coins and/or less than 10? Do you actually get a game over?

If you have social media info linked to your switch account then it literally posts Goatse to your personal facebook and installs a firmware update that effectively bricks your switch/voids your warranty. Be careful

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Lobster Harmonica posted:

If you have social media info linked to your switch account then it literally posts Goatse to your personal facebook and installs a firmware update that effectively bricks your switch/voids your warranty. Be careful

Time to start killing myself

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Calaveron posted:

No, that rushed 45 minute assessment done in a demo kiosk of a super busy convention floor is very correct

I sat in the freeplay quiet area with headphones. It was just like playing at home.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

JBP posted:

I sat in the freeplay quiet area with headphones. It was just like playing at home.

You didn’t like the currently highest rated game of all time. You should probably just get it over with now buddy.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/ArchdanMiiverse/status/924567643301994496

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm trying to get the Taking Notes moon along the rim of the Wooded Kingdom and I want to loving die.

Edit: That is the second time in a row that complaining something has fixed it. :wtc:

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i love Odyssey, it's everything i loved about Mario 64 updated for this year. it's just fantastic.

now i am also kind of hoping for a re-release of 3D World, bundled with Toad's Treasure Tracker and updated to include the snapshot photo thing from Odyssey. that would be a delight.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
So was Captain Toad squirreled away in every single level before you hit the post game? Because I only started finding him after that

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I want a DLC where you play as Peach on her vacation tour. Instead of moons you play for souvenirs.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Calaveron posted:

So was Captain Toad squirreled away in every single level before you hit the post game? Because I only started finding him after that

i thought i found him a few times during the first trek through but now i'm second guessing myself

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Calaveron posted:

I've found Captain Toad twice and am currently on Poison Jungle level and not anywhere near postgame, so I'm thinking yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

alf_pogs posted:

i thought i found him a few times during the first trek through but now i'm second guessing myself

Wait, I found him first in Bowser's Kingdom and then not again until the postgame

• Locked thread