Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Munkaboo posted:

I just bought this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07474WTCG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 with no reviews... hooooope it doooooesnt suuuuuuck.

There's no reviews because they haven't shipped to anyone yet, but Spigen neo hybrid cases are always good for any phone, you made an extremely safe purchase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Rastor posted:

There are several such cases:

Punkcase StudStar

i-Blason Ares

Clayco Hera

Personally I wouldn't use such a case, I prefer something much thinner and maybe a high-quality PET screen protector film with anti-fingerprint coating, but with today's Gorilla Glass screens you really don't need anything more than perhaps a bit of cushion bumper around the edge of the phone to protect from falls.

Yeah... none of them look very nice or have particularly good reviews. I ended up going with this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XP74MYV/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 after a bit of research. Hopefully it's as nice as it looks. The reviews are mostly pretty positive, too.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Still trying to decide if I keep my pixel 2 XL or revert back to my pixel 1 XL. Front speakers and waterproofing are good, but I also like my pixel 1 and it's not $800 (after my 6P trade in. Which I'll get...eventually?)

Anybody know how it works if you return the phone after the trade in credit hits?

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
My wife is phone stupid and therefore I have to do everything with her iPhone or else listen to her complain. Since her 6+ was updated to iOS 11, the camera takes 5 or more seconds to open and the phone dies at 50% battery.

Good thing there's an Apple store! Google truly can't match this experience:
"Did this start happening recently? Yeah it's the iOS 11 update; you'll have to wait for the next update to fix it. I can set you up with a phone call to support, or to see a tech it'll be 2 1/2 hours..."

gently caress it, I'll factory reset it first at least. There is clearly a backup already because iCloud constantly nags that it's "almost" out of space and we need to buy more. Of course I'll run the backup process just in case though.

lol no nothing at all was backed up...not even contacts or calendar. Her iPad was backed up, though! The iCloud website is a dinosaur and actually went down for maintenance when I tried to use it.

If it means having to put up with some garbage on the hardware front, I'll take Google software any day.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
Speaking of garbage hardware I preordered the 2XL after being almost 100% happy with my regular Pixel.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Munkaboo posted:

I just bought this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07474WTCG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 with no reviews... hooooope it doooooesnt suuuuuuck.

I have one for my G6; looks decent and tough, though I'd prefer thinner side bumpers for easier one-handed use.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!
Of course I need a second phone - just ordered a Huawei Mate 10 Pro in blue.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

nocal posted:

Speaking of garbage hardware I preordered the 2XL after being almost 100% happy with my regular Pixel.
Speaking of garbage here I am on Android just because the W10M Spotify app is bad.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Kidney Stone posted:

Thanks for the update.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Got my MiA1 delivered on Saturday. It is replacing my old Nexus 4, so I have no strong comparisons for my impressions:
* Everything is upside down. The headphone port is on the bottom the volume button is on the right, the back button is switched with the menu button. I will probably get used to the last one first.
* The body is reasonably gripy. The phone runs cold enough that is feels uncomfortably cold when picking up from a table. The camera is standing out enough that the phone has a slight wobble when lying on a flat surface. But the sides are small enough that is is annoying to pick up instead of sliding it of the table.
* Battery went from full to 50% after a bit over a whole day on strong usage and a night without recharging. It recharged in under 2 hours.
* The IR remote is pretty cool. I have already used it more then I used the NFC in my whole life. My brother found the feature so cool that he is considering trading his OP5 for a MiA1.
* It costs 200€, through gearbest. Half the price of direct importing the Moto G5+(64gb) which is also not available in Germany.
* The ports and buttons feel a bit flimsy, hope they last. The bottom speaker is also exactly where I place my hand when gaming.
* No Sim ejector in the package, and my old one was to short. Might be a double-sim thing.
* I don't have 4G in my contract, so no testing. But it finds the network, and 3G works perfect.
* Found an old sdcard (16gb probably bought in 2010). And there still seems to be no apps that can use it to store their data. I am going to continue ignoring the feature.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Headphone port on the bottom is correct and the only logical placement. Right side buttons as well

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

tonberrytoby posted:

* Found an old sdcard (16gb probably bought in 2010). And there still seems to be no apps that can use it to store their data. I am going to continue ignoring the feature.

I think most media apps can be configured to store media on the sd card...no?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Kidney Stone posted:

Where'd you order it from and how much was it? I didn't see it on any sites although I haven't looked very hard.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Thermopyle posted:

I think most media apps can be configured to store media on the sd card...no?

Yes.

Google play music
Google play movies and TV
Vudu
Netflix
Amazon Prime Video

They all allow downloads to go to the SD card.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
People are buying essential codes for $50-$100

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I checked Google play music and it has no option to use the sdcard. Seems to be a common bug, when I googled it. The option is missing for Amazon Video, too. It might be my old sdcard, but downloading to sdcard does work for the Kindle app.
That sort of thing is why I avoid sdcards.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

tonberrytoby posted:

I checked Google play music and it has no option to use the sdcard. Seems to be a common bug, when I googled it. The option is missing for Amazon Video, too. It might be my old sdcard, but downloading to sdcard does work for the Kindle app.

Heathen. Sdcards are love. Sd cards are life.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

tonberrytoby posted:

I have both a Galaxy Tab S3 and a Moto Z Play with SD cards and the are recognized as valid storage for all the apps I mentioned.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Syrinxx posted:

Where'd you order it from and how much was it? I didn't see it on any sites although I haven't looked very hard.

Most of the cellphone companies here in Denmark have it ready for preorder - with delivery in a month.

It costs me $50 a month for the first 6 months, and then $35 for the remaining 18 months. The price for the first 6 months are including free text messages, free minutes and 15 GB data each month.

And the phone comes with a Huawei CV60 360 panoramic camera.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Kidney Stone posted:

Consider me interested in your thoughts of it. They're not for sale in the U.S. yet, but I am also considering one. Not sure if the AMOLED panel, SoC, and improved camera lenses are enough to upgrade from my Mate 9 (which has turned into my favorite smartphone out of the last 10).

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Oct 30, 2017

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Has anyone else run into issues with Chrome keeping a screen on? The screen on my girlfriend's P2 won't timeout while chrome is running.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

So the Pixel 2 XLs seem to also be suffering from audio recording issues? Any of you with one here having that issue?

Also Essential just dropped a update enabling fingerprint gestures similar to Pixel. Gotta say they are at least putting forth a good effort to get things fixed and newer stuff added which is good to see. Maybe there will be hope yet...

Wish I could get one of those F&F codes. That phone for $500 isn't bad, but at $300 is a freaking steal.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Mental Hospitality posted:

Consider me interested in your thoughts of it. They're not for sale in the U.S. yet, but I am also considering one. Not sure if the AMOLED panel, SoC, and improved camera lenses are enough to upgrade from my Mate 9 (which has turned into may favorite smartphone out of the last 10).

I’ll let you know when I get it, then you can ask me some more specific questions.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

tonberrytoby posted:

Do you have your SD card set as an external drive or expanded storage? The later will prevent you from using it explicitly.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Anyone go through the old phone trade in for the Pixel yet?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Jerk McJerkface posted:

My trade in should arrive to them today.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I almost did, but I'm returning my 2XL instead.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Huh, thanks for reminding me. I did, put the phone in the mail probably exactly a week ago, but no update on the trade in status page. I stupidly forgot to take a pic of the return label tracking info, so will have to ask Google for that if I want to track it.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I'm a little nervous now. I was considering cancelling my 2 XL pre-order and Google went ahead and shipped my phone out a week ahead of schedule.

:ohdear:

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Q_res posted:

I'm a little nervous now. I was considering cancelling my 2 XL pre-order and Google went ahead and shipped my phone out a week ahead of schedule.

Don't be. The phone is so drat good.

I still can't get over the battery life. I used it pretty much non stop Sunday watching football and still had 30 percent when I went to bed. My old phone would've required 2 charges in that time/useage.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm ending my workdays with about 40% more battery than I used to on my OG Pixel.

Edit: I mean that in an absolute sense, not as a percentage. So, if I would normally end work with 20% battery, I would end with 60%.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Aren't you comparing your brand new 2 XL with your year old XL there?

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Incessant Excess posted:

Aren't you comparing your brand new 2 XL with your year old XL there?

Guessing he had a small Pixel 1 because battery life is amazing but not that amazing.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

Q_res posted:

My wife canceled her order and is incredibly jealous of my XL2. She placed a new order after she held it and messed around with it a bit.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yes, I had the small OG Pixel.

I am regularly getting 7ish hours of SoT with this 2XL though over the course of a full day, so that's nothing to sneeze at.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.
What are the recommended cases for a Moto G5+?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Kidney Stone posted:

That looks like one expensive china phone

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Received my MNML case after recommendation in this thread and it is incredibly thin. It adds nearly no bulk but I can't imagine it helping at all in case of a drop. I'll roll with it for a while and see how it goes. This is my first phone case in probably 6 years.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

While the render looks a bit incomplete, if the specs are true... The Razer phone might be pretty badass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's about time the ~6" 1440 edge to edge display SD835 configuration got some play in the market. It's been thirsty.