Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

magical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horsey McHorseface
Jun 5, 2017

It's Butterful.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I learned today that Caramel is made with sugar, butter, and vanilla. Butterscotch is made with brown sugar, butter, and vanilla.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Well everyone, it looks like we're gonna need some help from you.

Butterscotch is kinda ruining our lives. The big issue is his night time behavior. He used to sleep in our bed every night. He'd be nice and quiet at the foot and all was well.

Then, he started walking on our heads a few months back.

We tolerated that, somehow, but recently katdicks (my wife) got pregnant and was having enough of a hard time trying to sleep through the night without Bscotch being a monster.

So we kicked him out and have him sleep on the couch with his brother. Now his new thing is just meowing and scratching at the bedroom door. All night.

I've found one semi-quick fix that usually buys an hour or two. I open the door, shine my flashlight at him, and spray him with some water he generally quiets down for a bit. I know, I know, that's not terribly pleasant, but we're running out of ideas here.

To top it all of he usually demands and screams for breakfast around 6AM, but that's only if we're lucky. Sometimes, he becomes inconsolable starting at around 4.

We love him, but we're really tapped out and we're not sure what to do next. I've taken to feeding him a little later at night, which has helped, but not consistently.

If we could get him to somehow stop scratching the door and meowing out there, we'd be set. But, as we all know cats are terrible, and Butterscotch is more cat than any other cat I've met. We've tried the feliway, no luck there. He just wants what he wants, when he wants it, can't really fault him for that but we just want him to understand :negative:

Help us, please.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

How long has he been meowing and scratching? Everything I've heard about this has suggested that this behavior dies out eventually once the cat realizes it's not going to get results.

I wish I had more advice to give (our cats can take or leave our bed and don't mind being closed out), but you have my sympathy. I really hope you can work something out.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Don't open the door. Ever. It'll take potentially weeks for this to work, because a housecat has nothing but time and persistence and will condition you to obey. You must master the cat's tools and turn them against him.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
I had a huge problem with Fery sleeping on my legs. Over time I've found two solutions. In the summer when it's hot I turn the ceiling fan on (she hates the motion) and she sleeps in another room. In the winter we keep things chilly (lol) so she prefers a fort warms over my legs. Try to give him a better option than your heads.

I hope you find an acceptable solution. You and Katdicks are good people and I've really enjoyed following your fosters and Butters! Best wishes and good luck.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Don't open the door. Ever. It'll take potentially weeks for this to work, because a housecat has nothing but time and persistence and will condition you to obey. You must master the cat's tools and turn them against him.

Oy. I was partially worried that this would be the answer.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Would earplugs work?

Alternatively, you could try something like one of those automated hissers to keep him away from the door. Or double-sided tape where he likes to scratch at it and beg.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Can you put him in a large carrier with pillows and toy in a different room and lock him in? Just from when he starts to fuss until you wake up.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Zore posted:

Would earplugs work?

Alternatively, you could try something like one of those automated hissers to keep him away from the door. Or double-sided tape where he likes to scratch at it and beg.

If you don't want to buy a hisser thing, I saw a video once where someone put their vacuum cleaner outside the door and threaded the cord under the door into the room. Turn the vacuum on but leave it unplugged until Butterscotch starts scratching then you can just lean over and plug it in as necessary for cat terrifying.

Also congrats on the babby!

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Zore posted:

Would earplugs work?

This was what I was going to recommend. Double-sided tape where he scratches, and put a Ssscat by the door when its bedtime.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

This works, but the extinction burst will be awful and if you gently caress up even once (because now you can clearly tell he's escalated to tearing up carpet and screaming like he's dying) it'll be awful and even harder to get rid of.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Butters is prepping you for future Chili-babby

I like the SSScatte and Vacuum suggestions

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I'm not big on cat terror methods since the stress can cause them to behave in odd ways and contribute to stress related illness. Teaching Butterscotch that he will be ignored is harder but ultimately kinder imo.

I figured locking him up probably isn't an option due to the floor plan not having soundproofed or distant enough spaces to effectively mute the inevitable insulted yowling too.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Does Butters now get along better with your other cool, chill cat?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

business hammocks posted:

Does Butters now get along better with your other cool, chill cat?

This is a good question - maybe he needs some catte bro lessons

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The problem is that you got Butters down to a healthy weight, so now he actually has energy and is far more active :v:.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

My friends invented a method for their night-time fusser that's proven highly successful. Rather than giving a dinner at the evening hour that disappears all-too-quickly, they give out meat popsicles -- a mixture of gushy food and water that's been frozen in a small tupperware container. Cat then gets a meat popsicle that keeps her occupied, fed, and content for the entire night. Maybe you could try something like that.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Chili posted:

Butterscotch is kinda ruining our lives. The big issue is his night time behavior. He used to sleep in our bed every night. He'd be nice and quiet at the foot and all was well.

We tolerated that, somehow, but recently katdicks (my wife) got pregnant and was having enough of a hard time trying to sleep through the night without Bscotch being a monster.

So we kicked him out and have him sleep on the couch with his brother. Now his new thing is just meowing and scratching at the bedroom door. All night.

I've found one semi-quick fix that usually buys an hour or two. I open the door, shine my flashlight at him, and spray him with some water he generally quiets down for a bit. I know, I know, that's not terribly pleasant, but we're running out of ideas here.

To top it all of he usually demands and screams for breakfast around 6AM, but that's only if we're lucky. Sometimes, he becomes inconsolable starting at around 4.

We love him, but we're really tapped out and we're not sure what to do next. I've taken to feeding him a little later at night, which has helped, but not consistently.

If we could get him to somehow stop scratching the door and meowing out there, we'd be set. But, as we all know cats are terrible, and Butterscotch is more cat than any other cat I've met. We've tried the feliway, no luck there. He just wants what he wants, when he wants it, can't really fault him for that but we just want him to understand :negative:

Help us, please.

Maybe you can change his behavior with an automated feeder, if you can find a butterproof one (they're also a little pricey, ~$120). Theory goes that it doesn't matter what time it's set to, whether it's 6, 6:30, 7, 7:30, whatever, when he figures out the machine itself dispenses the food, independent of you the hooman, he'll learn to go wait by it instead of bugging you as much.

Our cat usually spends about 30 minutes a night in the other room, usually about 10:30-11pm, just going "Mrow! mrow! Mrow! Mrow!" as she carries a little toy raccoon tail around. It's cute but does keep me up. She stops on her own though. She'll walk on our heads and meow at us in the morning, and try to knock over lamps, but it's not as bad as it sounds like Butters is.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Chili posted:

Help us, please.

Have a room on the far side of the house you can lock him in? Sounds mean, but, hell, if you get some sleep - it's worth it. We've had to do it on and off with our two cats when they get stupid. The other thing that might work (depends on butters) - if you are at the end of a hallway, get a big floor fan and blow it down the hall. Our cats hate that, and won't come near the bedroom if its running. They might make some terrible noises, but usually not for long.

Also, grats on the incoming non-foster addition :)

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Nth'ing the Ssssscat-outside-the-door recommendations, our big boy would do exactly the same crap that Butters does now, including whining and scratching at the door if locked out - until we found the joy of automatically released compressed air. Now it's peace & quiet all night long.

Commissar Kayla
Dec 27, 2008
I have a slightly smaller than Butters cat who when left to her own devices, would jump up on my bed and shake me awake and yell in my ear in order to get exactly two pets before loving off again.

The solution turned out to be locking the cats downstairs at night. There's a garage and an attached room that is now Cat Place. It has their automatic feeder, water, litter box, beds, lots of safe places to hide in and soft places to sleep. I lure them down there every night with food, so they don't have THAT bad an association with it. Then they get locked in.

They do thump on the door a bit at first, but they usually settle down, and it is much quieter to hear them thump on that door than my door.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
Maybe if one of you sleep out there with him, he'll spend the entire night annoying that one person but stop scratching at the door, letting the other person get a good night's rest. Not the best solution really but uh, I guess it could do in a pinch?

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Thank you all for the suggestions. We've tried many of them already and have not been able to execute them for various reasons.

Automatic Feeder? Other Cat will get into it with him for the food.

Locking him in another room? I'll feel too guilty and he'll destroy poo poo.

Ssscat/Vacuum? We may have a winner.

I'm all for not trying to do things that will upset Butters or alter his temperament and we are going to try to just ignore him for a bit, but if we need to, we may go that route.

Thank you all for pitching in. And Butters thanks you too:

https://twitter.com/Bscotchthecat1/status/925216158642528256

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

If you're willing to lay down some dolla dolla bills, they do make automatic feeders that can be programmed to only activate when a specific RFID chip is detected. You just put the chip on a collar and then you have a Butters-only feeder.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Radio! posted:

If you're willing to lay down some dolla dolla bills, they do make automatic feeders that can be programmed to only activate when a specific RFID chip is detected. You just put the chip on a collar and then you have a Butters-only feeder.

Wouldn't mind this but the other cat would hear him. It would become a thing.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

Chili posted:

Stupid question (likely tried) - feed him much later, in a separate room, that locks? So he gets "put to bed" but that's when/where he gets supper? Might be a happier experience for him then. Or lock him in with an auto-feeder that very-slowly spits out on piece of kibble at a time over 10 hours. He'll never want to leave.

Commissar Kayla
Dec 27, 2008

Siochain posted:

Stupid question (likely tried) - feed him much later, in a separate room, that locks? So he gets "put to bed" but that's when/where he gets supper? Might be a happier experience for him then. Or lock him in with an auto-feeder that very-slowly spits out on piece of kibble at a time over 10 hours. He'll never want to leave.

I feed my cats in the room they get locked in at night. They also have an automatic feeding in the morning. This cuts down on cat whining significantly, and they always follow me downstairs to the cat room of their own free will, because they expect food. I make sure to reinforce it with bits of kibble. It does mean that any time in the evening me going downstairs will trigger FRANTIC RUSH FOR THE FEEDING PLACE, but when I actually do need to put them away, it's painless.

I like the endless, slow stream of kibble, though.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Commissar Kayla posted:

I feed my cats in the room they get locked in at night. They also have an automatic feeding in the morning. This cuts down on cat whining significantly, and they always follow me downstairs to the cat room of their own free will, because they expect food. I make sure to reinforce it with bits of kibble. It does mean that any time in the evening me going downstairs will trigger FRANTIC RUSH FOR THE FEEDING PLACE, but when I actually do need to put them away, it's painless.

I like the endless, slow stream of kibble, though.

Yeah, my two get fed in the basement (otherwise the dog will polish off their food in sometime around a femto-second). When its breakfast/supper time, I have two cats trying to assassinate me on the stairs. Little fuckers.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Chili posted:

if you feel like doing some 'woodworking' there are catflaps/dog doors that do the RFID thing but with unlocking the flap. maybe combine that with the auto feeder so it’s in a room only he can get into

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Been quite a bit since I checked in on y'all. With the wife getting pregnant, we had to put a hold on the fostering for now. We're out of town at the moment but our cat sitter just sent us this:

Can't embed on my phone for some reason, sorry if it's not showing up, can someone help?

Scoooootch https://imgur.com/gallery/H14tI

Chili fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Dec 10, 2017

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Chili posted:

Scoooootch

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Chili posted:

Been quite a bit since I checked in on y'all. With the wife getting pregnant, we had to put a hold on the fostering for now. We're out of town at the moment but our cat sitter just sent us this:

Can't embed on my phone for some reason, sorry if it's not showing up, can someone help?

Can't believe this is the same butterball you started with.

Actias
Oct 9, 2012

I'd never noticed the interesting pigmentation in his left eye before. Such a handsome boy!

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

Actias posted:

I'd never noticed the interesting pigmentation in his left eye before. Such a handsome boy!

I think we were all distracted by the perpetual look of existential angst. He is super gorgeous though.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Don’t worry, Butters. Food hasn’t abandoned you.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
so skinny and cat looking :3:

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Butterscotch is beautiful at any size

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Chili posted:

Please believe me, I'm being serious: I've sent many Scotch pictures to my mother and she's asked me to tell you your cat is beautiful and you're a nice person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korremar
Mar 1, 2010

You are so big!
So absolutely HUGE!
hey friends I've worked at the SPCA as a kennel tech for like 8 months now, thanks for being good humans, I appreciate the things that y'all do