Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Shooting Blanks posted:

You should renegotiate their contracts then.
Hahahahahahahaha. Do that, and people just leave. You lose the high performers, who can easily get another job, and keep the low-performers and the people who can't afford, for various reasons, to change jobs. You can force an individual who's overpaid out the door -- with a fair amount of work and a substantial lag -- but mass salary cuts aren't successful when people can always jump ship. See: you can't enforce a noncompete in California. Although IIRC a couple of industry stars had to spend 9-12 months on the bench before joining a new company. I remember the news stories, but not the names.

Re media platform, Twitter has Periscope, and wow does it suck. A podcast I follow, the Polygon Show, has switched to video streaming via Periscope, and it stutters and hangs in a disgraceful way for 2017.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

eschaton posted:

It must take a lot of effort to be this clueless.

Is there really a consensus on the quality of Apple phones strong enough to warrant a twitter style sick burn or is this guy just a moron?

I didn't realize anyone thought iPhones are still the bee's knees in 2017.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Arglebargle III posted:

Is there really a consensus on the quality of Apple phones strong enough to warrant a twitter style sick burn or is this guy just a moron?

I didn't realize anyone thought iPhones are still the bee's knees in 2017.
There isn't consensus on anything. There are enough people out there who think iStuff is cool OR (important issue) have enough of their stuff in the iCloud to keep sales going. For comparison, when Google Home came out, I automatically said "whatever" because Alexa was already part of my life, and in particular most of my music was in my Amazon library. It doesn't matter to me if Google Home is objectively better (I don't think it is yet?) it matters to me that I don't have to go through the amazing hassle of moving all my music to Google Cloud.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Yes, thousand dollar tea maker company, you didn’t have the time and resources to “educate” the market

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

http://twitter.com/girl_on_bike/status/924130436430815232

e: Per San Francisco Chronicle

quote:

It’s been a tough week for the future of food.

Eatsa, the San Francisco-based fully automated restaurant chain, announced the closure of five of its automated “experiences” across the United States. That leaves the 2-year-old company with just two retail outlets, both in San Francisco.

Fueled by venture capital investments, Eatsa was supposed to solve “big food system problems through tech innovation,” according to its CEO, Tim Young.

Instead, it turned out that there just aren’t very many people eager to swipe their credit cards for vegetarian grain bowls that they had to pull out of backlit cubicles.

The day after Eatsa’s announcement, Soylent announced it had failed to meet the requirements for the Canadian Food Inspection Agency’s standards for “meal replacement.” So Soylent products will no longer be shipped to Canada.

Soylent, another venture-fueled startup, advertises itself to a tech-focused male audience as the purveyor of “zero preparation meals,” in drink or powder form, which offer “everything the body needs to thrive.”

If that sounds confusing, remember that Soylent is really just Slim-Fast for men — with all of the immediate taste sensations and long-term nutritional impacts its predecessor product has to offer.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 28, 2017

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
"The future of food".

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Schubalts posted:

"The future of food".

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/anniefryman/status/924120177058254848

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I give it a year tops until someone tries to sell a literal wheel as an innovative product

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Shugojin posted:

I give it a year tops until someone tries to sell a literal wheel as an innovative product

"Imagine a fidget-spinner.. FOR YOUR CAR!"

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Shugojin posted:

https://twitter.com/dharmayogawheel/status/883040074044248064

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

eschaton posted:

If Epic was prevented from making its employees sign noncompete agreements, how many EMR companies would be based around Madison and Milwaukee?

Relevant to your point: although Epic doesn't have any EHR competitors in the region, there are quite a few EHR-adjacent companies based in the Madison area, like consultants, hardware producers, and more specialized software developers in healthcare areas that Epic hasn't already colonized. This all despite the fact that Epic ex-pats can't technically work for these companies for a year after they leave.

My point is, when you're talking about the software industry, it's not just developers you need to look at but the infrastructure surrounding them. Even though the EHR industry isn't as centralized as web development, Madison is still a huge location. Wisconsin banning non-compete clauses would have a far more dramatic effect than, say, Missouri doing the same thing.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

p much this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOK4J1kTEvc

as a startup

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
The problem with non-competes isn't that they are legal or illegal. It's that the cost of contesting them is too high for most employees so impacted. Until we make them both illegal and start fining companies for having them (and then paying those fines to the former employees) it's going to continue to be a problem.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Ynglaur posted:

The problem with non-competes isn't that they are legal or illegal. It's that the cost of contesting them is too high for most employees so impacted. Until we make them both illegal and start fining companies for having them (and then paying those fines to the former employees) it's going to continue to be a problem.

Do companies have to pay the employee (a percentage of) their former salary when they have him shackled by a non-compete?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Randler posted:

Do companies have to pay the employee (a percentage of) their former salary when they have him shackled by a non-compete?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Randler posted:

Let's put it this way. There are states in which the courts have outright deemed them illegal. Companies do it anyway. When someone leaves they serve them papers, at which point the former employer realizes they don't have $50K to defend their right to change companies.

The US legal system makes contesting even blatantly illegal actions very expensive for private citizens.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Randler posted:

This is why people say they're illegal in California. You can have a noncompete, you just have to pay them.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Ynglaur posted:

Let's put it this way. There are states in which the courts have outright deemed them illegal. Companies do it anyway. When someone leaves they serve them papers, at which point the former employer realizes they don't have $50K to defend their right to change companies.

The US legal system makes contesting even blatantly illegal actions very expensive for private citizens.

You don't have to sign a non-compete when you are quitting a job. My job doesn't have a non-compete but we do have non-solicit agreement. I had to sign and return it before I received the formal job offer. If I were heading out the door for a new job and my boss told me I had to sign a non-compete agreement I'd laugh in her face and tell her no.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

karthun posted:

You don't have to sign a non-compete when you are quitting a job. My job doesn't have a non-compete but we do have non-solicit agreement. I had to sign and return it before I received the formal job offer. If I were heading out the door for a new job and my boss told me I had to sign a non-compete agreement I'd laugh in her face and tell her no.

Non-competes are signed as part of the hiring process. Companies that use them will not hire you if you refuse to sign.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

karthun posted:

I think you misunderstood what "serve them papers" means.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

karthun posted:

They often make your last paycheck implicitly dependent on signing it, or they make it part of the employment agreement. My last employer tried making me sign one but I just ignored it and checked to ensure my paycheck made it.

Not everyone is so lucky.

The other issue is that such wicked companies will often send cease and desist orders to the legal departments of competitors. Sure, that person you interviewed was great. Is she worth an extra $60K in legal fees to hire? Probably not. You have a business to run.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Ynglaur posted:

They often make your last paycheck implicitly dependent on signing it

That's highly illegal in many places, including California. In California, if you quit your employer has 72 hours to give you your final check with all owed pay. If you are fired they must give you your final check at the time of firing. Each day they are late with your all your owed pay, they owe you a full, average days pay, up to 30 days.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

karthun posted:

You don't sign anything on the way out the door with nothing on the table, which is why your severance is tied to signing.

Carrot. Stick.

This is not new.

Ynglaur posted:

They often make your last paycheck implicitly dependent on signing it

Where the hell is that the case? That's so blatantly illegal that your state labor board would spank them for it on your behalf for free.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Motronic posted:

Where the hell is that the case? That's so blatantly illegal that your state labor board would spank them for it on your behalf for free.

Assuming your state labor board has enough funding to take on new, small-dollar cases, and that its members weren't appointed by a business-friendly governor, and that you can afford to wait for that check for the year or two it will take to go through the process...

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Ponsonby Britt posted:

Assuming your state labor board has enough funding to take on new, small-dollar cases, and that its members weren't appointed by a business-friendly governor, and that you can afford to wait for that check for the year or two it will take to go through the process...

Depending on your state, you can take those cases to small claims where they will award the wages plus penalties.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

This is why people say they're illegal in California. You can have a noncompete, you just have to pay them.

That's not really true. In CA most employees can voluntarily leave their company and go work for a competitor irrespective of whether or not their original employer is willing to pay them to stay, and non-competes are not enforceable after an employee is terminated even if you are still paying them.

In CA, it is expressly not permitted for a company to lay you off, and then insist that you don't go work for competitor so long as they pay you X% of your salary or any other amount of money. It is also not permitted in CA to tie severance to a non-compete. For example if Intel terminates you, and makes you sign a contract giving you 12 months of severance contingent on not working for a competitor, and then you get hired by AMD after 6 months, Intel cannot sue to recover the severance they have already paid you--any such attempt would be immediately thrown out of court. In fact, in most cases, Intel would probably be on the hook to pay you the full severance even after you are hired by a competitor, irrespective of any non-compete clauses in the contract.

The bottom line is that if you are an at-will employee in CA, you don't really need to worry about non-competes.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I saw something about Best Buy selling a version of the new iPhone for $1200 or something. I'm pretty sure Tim Cook could literally take a poo poo on stage and people would preorder it at this point.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Absurd Alhazred posted:

"Imagine a fidget-spinner.. FOR YOUR CAR!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gzHe1247LI

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Shugojin posted:

They've already figured out "the bus", you might be overly pessimistic here.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Shugojin posted:

img-timeline

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svbn1vboJ50

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

actionjackson posted:

I saw something about Best Buy selling a version of the new iPhone for $1200 or something. I'm pretty sure Tim Cook could literally take a poo poo on stage and people would preorder it at this point.
I believe I read that iPhone 8 sales were not great

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Can't stop laughing.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Not the terms of service! Is nothing sacred to this man?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Baby Babbeh posted:

Not the terms of service! Is nothing sacred to this man?

Well, contracts with his mortgage company certainly arent. He told them he was buying the condo for single-owner occupancy. Whoops.

quote:

In late 2015 through early 2016, MANAFORT applied for a mortgage on the condominium. Because the bank would permit a greater loan amount if the property were owner-occupied, MANAFORT falsely represented to the bank and its agents that it was a secondary home used as such by his daughter and son-in-law and was not a property held as a rental property. For instance, on January 26, 2016, MANAFORT wrote to his son-in-law to advise him that when the bank appraiser came to assess the condominium his son-in-law should "[r]emember, he believes that you and [MANAFORT's daughter] are living there.” Based on a request from MANAFORT, GATES caused a document to be created which listed the Howard Street property as the second home of MANAFORT's daughter and son-in-law, when GATES knew this fact to be false. As a result of his false representations, in March 2016 the bank provided MANAFORT a loan for approximately $3,185,000.
Amusingly -- to me, anyway -- this winds up being a separate fraud charge in the indictment.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I believe I read that iPhone 8 sales were not great

Which is interesting because the iphone 8 was definitely the way better product shown at that keynote

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Friend of mine and SV techbro after mentioning to him how bad Uber is with all the culture poo poo

"I don't support them. I just use their services."

:wtc:

It seems like everyone has rose colored glasses on. Guess they don't want to attack the golden goose.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
No, no one wants to be personally inconvenienced. Talk is cheap, and therefore in most situations all you get is talk.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

quote:

No, no one wants to be personally inconvenienced. Talk is cheap, and therefore in most situations all you get is talk.

It's really pretty pathetic when you run into people like that, given Uber is about as easy to boycott as they get. You don't even have to give up a service; you just have to call a normal goddamned taxi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Sundae posted:

It's really pretty pathetic when you run into people like that, given Uber is about as easy to boycott as they get. You don't even have to give up a service; you just have to call a normal goddamned taxi.

He wont do taxis or hotels because they are more expensive. Even though I use them and he definitely has more money than I do.