Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

MourningView posted:

That was right before Park left for his whatever the heck is going on with him now. He was really awful in that game

Our defense is also really good. But I"m very glad we didn't have to deal with the new fella

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Baylor comes and goes- the defense is somewhat okay, the offense is streaky to the point that there are some games where it doesn't show up at all (Texas, UTSA), but if you happen to catch them on the day where it does show up (Oklahoma, WVU) they can still be dangerous. Texas and Oklahoma State are the only games so far they've lost by more than two scores.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
The two longest scoring streaks in the country came dangerously close to ending on the same day (and really, gently caress off UGA for not preserving that shutout).

General Dog posted:

Baylor comes and goes- the defense is somewhat okay, the offense is streaky to the point that there are some games where it doesn't show up at all (Texas, UTSA), but if you happen to catch them on the day where it does show up (Oklahoma, WVU) they can still be dangerous. Texas and Oklahoma State are the only games so far they've lost by more than two scores.

It's really more just the OU game. WVU had a 25 point 4th quarter lead and left the 2nd string in too long for that one. If WVU kept the pedal down they'd have won by 40.

At this point in the season being a winless team is more than just bad luck. If you lose all the close games you're not unlucky, you're just bad.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Oct 30, 2017

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Henchman of Santa posted:

I mean the fact that a dumb college kid’s press conference joke has fueled the rage of a multimillionaire old man for a decade is almost cool

That fired up the entire fanbase and the team too. I legit love that Dantonio hates Michigan as much as he does.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Thermos H Christ posted:

Holy loving poo poo Iowa State is way more amazing than I knew. This is incredible. This might be the best video there is.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5z9iv8

I kept waiting for Leslie Knope to show up.

One of those ladies was my instructor at ISU and also she owns just like that video.

What IS going on with Jacob Park though? Whats the official word on him being replaced by a 3rd stringer and being out performed by said 3rd stringer?

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

WE WANT BAMA CLAP CLAP CLAPCLAPCLAP

WE WANT BAMA CLAP CLAP CLAPCLAPCLAP

#WEBELIEVE bich

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Crotch Bat posted:

The two longest scoring streaks in the country came dangerously close to ending on the same day (and really, gently caress off UGA for not preserving that shutout).

It's really more just the OU game. WVU had a 25 point 4th quarter lead and left the 2nd string in too long for that one. If WVU kept the pedal down they'd have won by 40.

At this point in the season being a winless team is more than just bad luck. If you lose all the close games you're not unlucky, you're just bad.

There no doubt a bad team, but they're still good enough that they can normally avoid getting steamrolled.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

UGA is opening a 22.5 point favorite against South Carolina

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Jastiger posted:

One of those ladies was my instructor at ISU and also she owns just like that video.

What IS going on with Jacob Park though? Whats the official word on him being replaced by a 3rd stringer and being out performed by said 3rd stringer?

It has to do with that 3rd string QB being from NE Ohio, along with half your coaching staff. There’s something in the water round these parts.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Jastiger posted:

He had to leave the team for...something. The persistent rumor is rehab but it's entirely possible that's Internet bullshit. I don't think anyone outside the program knows.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
LSU is in no way, shape, or form built to even have a snowflake's chance in Hell this year against 'Bama.

The good news is that Devin White will have a billion tackles & further work to solidify a good chance at DPOTY.

Tad SG
Apr 16, 2003

Here are provided seats of meditative joy, where shall rise again the destined reign of Troy.

Rick posted:

This is interesting. So who of the remaining teams does Oregon State need to beat to complete the circle?

Cal, UA, ASU & Oregon remain.

They've been coming pretty close to winning the past few weeks, I think someone is going to get beat by them.

Any Oregon State win will complete the 12 team loop. Cal, UA, and ASU fit right into the current chain with no order changes. Oregon requires some reordering, but also completes the loop.

Come on Beavs, you can do it!

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LeeMajors posted:

Me right now:

So yeah, thanks. Feel good. But a new streak starts soon :getin:

That sketch was amazing.

"Hot as the dickens"

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

MourningView posted:

He had to leave the team for...something. The persistent rumor is rehab but it's entirely possible that's Internet bullshit. I don't think anyone outside the program knows.

Everybody assumed it was rehab at first but the complete lack of info since the initial announcement makes that seem unlikely. There's been people claiming he's been seen around the football facilities throughout this whole time but nobody knows if that's true. It's bizarre and I think it would be getting a lot more attention if we weren't winning so much without him around.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

https://twitter.com/jgstrickland7/status/924704235199004673

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Normally this time of the year I'm just hoping my team is 4 or 5 wins up and crossing fingers that Kansas is still on the schedule.

Oh wait, no this year we're 1st in the Big 12, well OK then lol.

SmellsLikeToast
Dec 30, 2005

A GREATER MAN THAN I DESERVE

MourningView posted:

That was right before Park left for his whatever the heck is going on with him now. He was really awful in that game

He's in rehab.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

SmellsLikeToast posted:

He's in rehab.

Do you actually know that somehow or are you just repeating stuff from message boards?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
College football message boards... the original Fake News.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I don't believe any college football rumors until Brett McMurphy says it.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I still can't believe Butch has a job. The only thing I can come up with is they want the new guy agreed to sign a contract before Butch is fired so they can go "Butch fired but check out our new guy!!". Otherwise I have no loving clue.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Joey Freshwater posted:

I still can't believe Butch has a job. The only thing I can come up with is they want the new guy agreed to sign a contract before Butch is fired so they can go "Butch fired but check out our new guy!!". Otherwise I have no loving clue.

His buyout is probably too high to swallow without having a way to reduce it like Florida did.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

According to USA Today, Butch's buyout is $8.1 million. That's not money any school or boosters can easily throw together.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

iospace posted:

His buyout is probably too high to swallow without having a way to reduce it like Florida did.

I think it's just above 11mil for him plus all the assistant coaches. Butch alone is somewhere around 8mil. He hasn't really done anything aside from dumb comments in the media and that's not cause to reduce or come to an agreement on a reduced buyout. Butch probably realizes this and is just biding his time because he knows he's gone one way or another and all he has to do is wait them out. They're gonna pay it, it's just a matter of when.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Scarf posted:

College football message boards... the original Fake News.

He definitely could be right. Like I said, that's the most popular story, I'm just curious why he was so confident in it when I haven't seen it from anywhere remotely official.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

HannibalBarca posted:

been almost ten years I think since Georgia's gotten a first-place vote in the AP poll

UGA finished '07 with 3 first place votes in the AP poll. Started 2008 at #1, were immediately bumped down to 2 (with some first place votes), then 3, then the Bama Blackout happened.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
Wanted to pop in to say congrats to ISU fans. Hate when Texas loses to y'all, but am happy y'all get to enjoy a dream season. I remember what Texas's baller seasons felt like and :feelsgood:.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Understand too that if you want to fire a coach you are buying out him and his staff, then figuring out how to pay the buyout for the coach you want, then pay his salary, AND pay for the next guy's staff. Say for the sake of argument Tennessee wanted to pull Matt Campbell from Iowa State. They owe Butch $8.1m in his buyout, Campbell's is $9.2m to leave Iowa State. Just to get Matt himself to Knoxville would cost the school $17,300,000. Now add in staff salaries and any potential buyouts they may have and you're likely easily adding another few million to the pile. All told that entire change would very likely cost north of $20,000,000.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Has anyone ever thought about just letting them play without a coach? Like at all? Just some dudes out there having fun running whatever plays they want?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Scarf posted:

Has anyone ever thought about just letting them play without a coach? Like at all? Just some dudes out there having fun running whatever plays they want?

It would probably be fun for all of 2 series before it descended into chaos, and not the fun kind. I could easily imagine guys getting into fights with each other over playcalling and playing time.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Miami and Iowa are both debuting black uniforms for next week and they both own

https://twitter.com/CanesFootball/status/924715868864512001

https://twitter.com/TheIowaHawkeyes/status/924802844137582593

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

DJExile posted:

It would probably be fun for all of 2 series before it descended into chaos, and not the fun kind. I could easily imagine guys getting into fights with each other over playcalling and playing time.

Have the other team agree to a 6-on-6 backyard game... No running plays, one QB sneak and one blitz per series, everyone goes out for a pass, every down.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Scarf posted:

Have the other team agree to a 6-on-6 backyard game... No running plays, everyone goes out for a pass, every down.

defensive linemen must count to "4 mississippi" before rushing

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DJExile posted:

Whatever man it worked in Varsity Blues.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Scarf posted:

Having experienced a Shawn Watson offense, I am dead serious when I say we would've been better off with the players just drawing up plays in the dirt before each snap.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

DJExile posted:

defensive linemen must count to "4 mississippi" before rushing

Thermos H Christ posted:

Having experienced a Shawn Watson offense, I am dead serious when I say we would've been better off with the players just drawing up plays in the dirt before each snap.

I swear if I ever become a multi-billionaire, I'm going to sponsor a "bowl" where the two worst teams in the division get an invite to play a backyard game on national TV.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

This seems to be the basic theme Iowa has settled on for alt uniforms and I really like it. See my avatar for the last example, which was accompanied by the best hype video they've ever done:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8awkbln__A4

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

You know, I looked at the games this weekend, and I'm going to put Syracuse on upset alert.

After their tough loss to Miami, followed by a bye week and then looking ahead to a big game with Wake Forest, I feel that the FSU game could be a trap. Every team that's walked into Doak this year has walked out a winner, and I feel that Syracuse could be a bit over confident. Jimbo's looking for his first win at home this year, and maybe the team comes out motivated.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Scarf posted:

I swear if I ever become a multi-billionaire, I'm going to sponsor a "bowl" where the two worst teams in the division get an invite to play a backyard game on national TV.

https://www.badboymowers.com/introducing-the-bad-boy-mowers-gasparilla-bowl

Cant be that expensive if a lawn care company can sponsor a bowl, right?

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Oct 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dilber posted:

You know, I looked at the games this weekend, and I'm going to put Syracuse on upset alert.

After their tough loss to Miami, followed by a bye week and then looking ahead to a big game with Wake Forest, I feel that the FSU game could be a trap. Every team that's walked into Doak this year has walked out a winner, and I feel that Syracuse could be a bit over confident. Jimbo's looking for his first win at home this year, and maybe the team comes out motivated.

This is a brutal own of FSU lol

• Locked thread