Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Max
Nov 30, 2002

nesbit37 posted:

The interesting things I gained through reading that are:

They want it to stay in Philly permanantely

It will not be the same weekend next year (though it wasn't clear when it would be then)

The small board game library

Apparently 1/3 of the hall is dedicated to open gaming (that seems like too much if its concentrated in one place but we'll see, glad it exists at least)

That they didn't go with tickets because they didn't want to deal with it and that lines are apparently egalitarian (I don't agree with that last part at all, but whatever)

The hall is huge, so 1/3 seems like a whole lot of space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
here is a map https://guidebook.com/guide/111854/map/108315/

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Thanks for sharing the map. I don't know how anyone finds this stuff. I find out about the map here, found out about the unpub here, found out about the AMA through a chat discussion on the Slack channel for the PAX D&D group... I don't see any of this stuff on the PAX Unplugged website or their forums. Are they all this disorganized?

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
People have bigger booths than FFG what the....

[quote="“nesbit37”" post="“477668204”"]
Thanks for sharing the map. I don’t know how anyone finds this stuff. I find out about the map here, found out about the unpub here, found out about the AMA through a chat discussion on the Slack channel for the PAX D&D group... I don’t see any of this stuff on the PAX Unplugged website or their forums. Are they all this disorganized?
[/quote]

Uh excuse me, we PAX afficianados prefer to describe it as 'cutting through the red tape' or 'free spirited' just as gaming is meant to be. Who ever heard of a game with rules or coherency, also my top 3 favs are werewolf, munchkin, and cards against humanity. See you in the line bros!!!!!

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I hope no lurkers that are reading along take the endless making GBS threads on PAX in this thread seriously. I am pretty hype for this con! I just think my enjoyment is going to come from my own inititive rather than any structured events.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Fellis posted:

I just think my enjoyment is going to come from my own inititive rather than any structured events.

Congratulation, you understand PAX

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Thanks for this. I'm an exhibitor and didn't even know they had finalized this, as I haven't been sent ANYTHING from them. I barely found out my booth number by reaching out and asking, but they didn't provide a map like this or anything. Sure hope this show goes well.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

I haven't heard of 95% of the exhibitors, anybody have a list of links to each of their sites or a description?

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
There's no Chessex booth(s). :eek:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
This whole thing is like trying to attend a convention in a country whose language you do not speak.

"I think we need badges to get past K9 security but I heard something about maybe it being a microchip-based economy? Anyway, the food is good"

nesbit37 posted:

That they didn't go with tickets because they didn't want to deal with it and that lines are apparently egalitarian (I don't agree with that last part at all, but whatever)
Now I finally understand what those awful people who complain endlessly that Gen-Con's ticketing system is completely unfair mean: they want to be able to get somewhere eight hours early so they can be first in line since that is something more under their control than a randomized system.

Them saying it is egalitarian is hilarious, because that means they genuinely do not understand that not everyone attending is the sort of person who could line up as early as desired to get into an event. But their most ardent fans probably are precisely that sort of person, so I suppose that checks out.

And like Fellis I am also super-stoked for this event seemingly almost exclusively despite their best efforts.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
poo poo, I'm excited at the prospect of this being a disorganized dumpster fire simply because that'll be entertaining as well. Thank goodness for GroupMe!

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Merauder posted:

Thanks for this. I'm an exhibitor and didn't even know they had finalized this, as I haven't been sent ANYTHING from them. I barely found out my booth number by reaching out and asking, but they didn't provide a map like this or anything. Sure hope this show goes well.

TheLawinator posted:

I haven't heard of 95% of the exhibitors, anybody have a list of links to each of their sites or a description?

Dr. Quarex posted:

And like Fellis I am also super-stoked for this event seemingly almost exclusively despite their best efforts.

BlackIronHeart posted:

poo poo, I'm excited at the prospect of this being a disorganized dumpster fire simply because that'll be entertaining as well.

Kashuno posted:

Congratulation, you understand PAX

Every year I think about PAX East I am like "wow this is going to be dumb look at how disorganized and wow only a few weeks out and no badges or schedule or what the gently caress.

Then I go and it is a dumb disorganized thing but I have fun anyway because damnit I paid for it and I'm going to make my own fun!!

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Ticket sales seem to be going well, no need to give away...

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Saturday badges did just sell out so there is that.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Just got my badge in the mail.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Same. What the hell is a digital swag bag. Is it like...here's a code for a Pathfinder module?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
So my badge showed up today, and reading through the paper thing that came with it I have a question for those of you that have gone to other PAXs. So the doors don't open till 10am apparently. It sounds like everyone has to go wait in the same area until 10 and then they start letting people in, and they were very clear in the letter that you can start lining up just to get in at 8am. So my questions are:

1. How long does it take to actually get in once they open the doors?

2. What are you supposed to do if you have an event that starts at 10? My unpub slot is supposed to start at 10am in whatever room they are doing that, and its going to be super annoying if I have to waste 30min of my slot going through a line to get into the convention center and time to find where I am supposed to go and set up.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Max posted:

Just got my badge in the mail.

Same here

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

nesbit37 posted:

So my badge showed up today, and reading through the paper thing that came with it I have a question for those of you that have gone to other PAXs. So the doors don't open till 10am apparently. It sounds like everyone has to go wait in the same area until 10 and then they start letting people in, and they were very clear in the letter that you can start lining up just to get in at 8am. So my questions are:

1. How long does it take to actually get in once they open the doors?

2. What are you supposed to do if you have an event that starts at 10? My unpub slot is supposed to start at 10am in whatever room they are doing that, and its going to be super annoying if I have to waste 30min of my slot going through a line to get into the convention center and time to find where I am supposed to go and set up.

Once the doors open people literally just flood in. Line moves very quickly once it opens up. Get there early and get in line early if you’re demoing at 10, because it will be just as lovely as you imagine

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

the only genius in the whole fucking business
I'm gonna be there, running some of my games for Games on Demand and working the Indie Bazaar table! Can't wait!

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Got my badge yesterday too. My friends and I have kind of pivoted our plans after seeing how all of this is panning out. Think we're just going to hit up the dealer hall for as long as we want, then go find some space to play new games we buy and/or games we brought.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I'm still waiting on my D&D schedule but if anyone wants to organize meetups let me know. I can at least recommend spots if I can't attend. I am totally down for doing the PAX Unplugged Philly version of shots Wednesday. Also, everyone should be aware of a few extra things that are going to make this all extra messed up.

1. The Philly Marathon is running the Saturday and Sunday of PAX and that is going to majorly mess up driving around Center City since the marathon goes right by both sides of the convention center. If you're taking public transit it should be just fine, but driving will suck and you may have to duck into the subway system to take a tunnel over the tracks to get across Market if you're walking.

2. Reading Terminal Market shuts down pretty much at 5pm so its not going to be a good spot for dinner. Also, all of the Amish places (which is like 66% of the market) are closed on Sundays so its also not as awesome for food on Sunday.

edit: Probably also a good time to re-plug the groupme

Join groupme: https://app.groupme.com/join_group/33309759/qHSJ5d

nesbit37 fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Oct 31, 2017

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

open_sketchbook posted:

I'm gonna be there, running some of my games for Games on Demand and working the Indie Bazaar table! Can't wait!

Describe these games, friend! I'd like to spend time with goons at this con since I've always said I'd do that at Gencon and never have. :(

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
^^^ What he said.

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

the only genius in the whole fucking business
I'm running my WW1 war horror system PATROL: The Trench Raiders, where everyone is a member of an elite infiltrator squad who sneaks over to the enemy trenches at night and hopefully doesn't die to poison gas and bullets.

I'm also doing a preview run of my similar-era air combat RPG Flying Circus, which uses a Powered by the Apocalypse framework to make an air game where you don't have to mess around with turn radiuses and poo poo.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

open_sketchbook posted:

I'm running my WW1 war horror system PATROL: The Trench Raiders, where everyone is a member of an elite infiltrator squad who sneaks over to the enemy trenches at night and hopefully doesn't die to poison gas and bullets.

Oh. Oh my. This might be my jam. *looks over at 1,000 played hours of Battlefield 1* Yeah, just might be...

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Yay, just got my D&D schedule and had to immediately ask them to change it. All set now. I am free all of Friday afternoon and evening and Saturday afternoon. Apparently we are also getting badges that get us into the exhibit hall an hour early. I didn't know that was a thing nor-possible at a PAX event, but take that egalitarian lines!

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

BlackIronHeart posted:

I'd like to spend time with goons at this con since I've always said I'd do that at Gencon and never have. :(

Going to suggest the staple of the GenCon thread: join the GroupMe group if you want to meet up with goons for games. Also bring a phone battery pack since goons are chatty creatures. https://app.groupme.com/join_group/33309759/qHSJ5d

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

I like how the badges have a lot of useful information on the back that’s cool. It says the show closes at midnight each night, is that like kick everyone out time or do they let people linger for awhile?

E: wondering about previous pax cons, it might very well be different here

nesbit37 posted:

Apparently we are also getting badges that get us into the exhibit hall an hour early. I didn't know that was a thing nor-possible at a PAX event, but take that egalitarian lines!

Goddamn 1%!!!! Occupy PAX! :argh:

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

open_sketchbook posted:

I'm also doing a preview run of my similar-era air combat RPG Flying Circus, which uses a Powered by the Apocalypse framework to make an air game where you don't have to mess around with turn radiuses and poo poo.

I've been following the Flying Circus previews on the System Mastery Discord. It looks rad. Do you know when you plan on running that?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Since it came up in the group me and I am procrastinating at work before I head to Game Hole Con I figured I would post about area food/bar options. The size on all of these places is fairly small and tight unless I say otherwise. They are not listed in any particular order. These are all in walking distance though south street is a hike. If you want to know about places in any other parts of the city let me know.

Center City

Dirty Franks
Like, the best dive bar of all time
13th and Pine St.
http://www.dirtyfranksbar.com/

Jose Pistola's
Good beer and great burritos
15th and Spruce st. (ish)
http://josepistolas.com/

Monks
One of the best Belgian beer bars in America
16th and Spruce
http://www.monkscafe.com/

Milk Boy
General bar and music venue upstairs
11th and Chestnut
https://www.milkboyphilly.com/

Khyber Pass Pub
Cool general bar with a good beer selection
2nd and Chestnut
http://www.khyberpasspub.com/

McGillians
I am only putting this on here because it is of a medium size and good location. Its a total college lets get drunk and puke and then do it again bar though.
13th and Chestnut (ish)
https://mcgillins.com/

Field House
Sports bar, only putting it on here because it is fairly large and right at the convention center
12th and Filbert
http://www.fieldhousephilly.com/

Barbuzzo (food only)
Very delicious, pricy. For the meat lovers out there.
13th and Sansom
http://barbuzzo.com/

El Vez (food only)
Delicious mexican place, also kind of pricy
13th and Sansom
http://www.elvezrestaurant.com/

Beiler's Donuts (in Reading Terminal Market, food only)
Best donuts in the city, OMG eat all of these. Closed Sundays, and closes at 5pm.
Reading Terminal
https://www.beilersdoughnuts.com/

Jake's Sandwich Board (food only)
Amazing hoagie style meat creations. Mostly pork.
12th and Sansom
https://www.jakessandwichboard.com/

South Street

Tattooed Mom's
The chillest of chill places, they have a large upstairs but should check to see if its open
5th and South
https://www.tattooedmomphilly.com/

Brauhaus Scmitz
One of the best German beer and food selections in America. Has a very large back room.
7th and South
https://www.brauhausschmitz.com/

Jim's (food only)
Go here for a Philly cheese steak if you are going to have one. Cheese wiz with onions.
4th and South
http://www.jimssouthstreet.com/

nesbit37 fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Nov 1, 2017

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

What, no Hop Sing Laundromat? Not that goons (including me) would be able to survive its "no cell phone use" policy.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Well, part of that was personal bias I guess. Not a fan of places like that and the other speakeasy (Franklin Mortgage) as I find they are ridiculously expensive for drinks and have an odd atmosphere. There are seriously like 100s of places, a decent number of them good, in center city, so if anyone sees something on yelp and wants to know about it just ask.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

fordan posted:

What, no Hop Sing Laundromat? Not that goons (including me) would be able to survive its "no cell phone use" policy.
gently caress you guys, if the food is good enough, I'll turn that poo poo off in a heartbeat.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Ilor posted:

gently caress you guys, if the food is good enough, I'll turn that poo poo off in a heartbeat.

No food. No credit cards. No shorts or sneakers. But apparently amazing cocktails. One day I’ll make it there.

https://philly.eater.com/2017/5/19/15663482/hop-sing-laundromat-chinatown-bar-cocktails

It was also named one of the 30 greatest bars in the World by Condé Nast Traveller.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I'll still pass.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

One of the yelp pictures of that place is a sign saying they are closed for a visit to Pyongyang, not sure if serious

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Their owner is north korean so...

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Fellis posted:

One of the yelp pictures of that place is a sign saying they are closed for a visit to Pyongyang, not sure if serious

It says 'closed till 9/8,' not that you should go there anyway. Dude's apparently a huge dickbag. Bars that are good: Silence Dogood's, Strangelove's, and Franklin Mortgage and Investment Company if you really want that Hop Sing song and dance without being drawn and hung for daring to check your phone.

Also, a few more things: RTM is now open to 6 every day. Good stuff in it: Meltkraft makes really good grilled cheese, By George and Carmen's for cheesesteaks, Tommy DiNicks for roast beef, Beiler's for donuts (their pies are unfortunately not up to snuff), Miller's Twist for pretzels. Termini Brothers for general desserts, uh, some people like Bassett's for ice cream but it's just okay.

That's about it for RTM. Up north (literally on the other side of the convention center) is chinatown. I'm not an expert there, but there are lots of good little cafes. For people who want 'the genuine cheesesteak,' don't bother with Pat's or Geno's, they're tourist traps, go to Sonny's on 3rd and Market. Franklin Fountain is probably worth a visit while you're there.

I did a food critic thing for my graduation project (because Drexel has very low standards). Ask me about anything and I'll probably have a recommendation! :shobon:

Bogart fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Nov 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
the conference hall map is up

https://guidebook.com/guide/111854/map/109251/

@nesbit, looks like the alpha build room is just past the queue room, so we can stroll right in and get to it quickly.

also pretty cool they put it right by the entrance so people will actually see it rather than putting us in the back or something :)

• Locked thread