Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

God loving drat it, iPhone.

COINS. I meant COINS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I've exhausted each level before moving on and it sure hasn't felt short to me. This afternoon I start in on the post game in earnest.

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit

Max Wilco posted:

Would anyone say that the Switch is an improvement over the Wii U?

yes in pretty much every single way, and i like my wii u, it is still hooked up even. i bought it in late 2012 or early 2013 i forget.

i remember thinking "man the wii u would be so much better if i could just take the gamepad with me and play my games anywhere"

the switch made this a reality

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

what are some must play games out for the Switch right now? So far I have Stardew Valley, Golf Story, and SMO. I've already played BOTW on the WiiU, but may pick it up for the Switch.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Verisimilidude posted:

what are some must play games out for the Switch right now? So far I have Stardew Valley, Golf Story, and SMO. I've already played BOTW on the WiiU, but may pick it up for the Switch.

Mario + Rabbids
ARMS
Mario Kart 8 DX
Master Blaster Zero
Azure Striker Gunvolt 1+2
Mighty Gunvolt Burst
Fast RMX
Shovel Knight
Fire Emblem Warriors
Lego City Undercover
Pokken Tournament
Shantae: Half Genie Hero
Sonic Mania
Puyo Puyo Tetris
Splatoon 2

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Oct 30, 2017

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Verisimilidude posted:

Puyo Puyo Tetris is extremely solid, if you are really big into puzzle games like that.

I'd put in a vouch for Disgaea 5 if you're familiar with the series... I'm not sure that I would recommend it to a newcomer, especially now that we're like 32 days out from Xenoblade Chronicles 2, which will be a more modern spectacle of outrageous anime bullshit.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Verisimilidude posted:

MK8DX if you didn't play that on Wii U, though if you have a Wii U you probably did. There are some great additions to DX for casual/nonplayers that made ti worth picking up again, as well as battle mode improvements.

Puyo Puyo Tetris and Shovel Knight are great if you don't have them elsewhere.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Voez is cool if you like rhythm games, Kamiko is cheap and fun and I think Shovel Knight is best played on the Switch.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Words With Friends is a good party game requiring no additional controllers and is on sale for $7.50 right now

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I hope that was a one-letter-typo off "Coins" and not an autocorrect :magical:

Give the guy the benefit of the doubt, the South Park game just dropped.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

disagree heavily, but i think this has a demo so you can try before you buy

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

bango skank posted:

where the gently caress is smash brothers

alf_pogs posted:

wheres the dark souls trilogy port on my switch already, FROM!!!!!!!!

Asking the right questions.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is there ever even the slightest amount of talk in the Smash community of making direction change instant (especially in midair) and doing away with back facing attacks? Or is that an absolutely essential part of Smash’s design?

Ew what the hell? Do people actually want that? Doing backwards kicks was my go to in melee.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Lego City is also most def not a must buy, nor is pokken

Did you just list every major game available on switch?

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008
Now that Mario Odyssey is out, Nintendo can start working on the Donkey Kong Country game! I wanted it too, but my sister saw me playing the Woodland Kingdom and thought it was some sort of Donkey Kong thing, and was like "Is this, is Donkey Kong in this, are they gonna release a Donkey Kong game for this?"

On another note, I cannot get enough of the loving Woodland Kingdom music. The surf rock and the organ sounds, and the mix on the bass, the soft sorta snare drum sounds....

Im so glad that everyone else realizes this is the best track in the game, though. It's really great. I was listening to one dude stream the game while doing something else, and heard him hear the first 3 notes and go, "Oh wow, I already love this" -- then another streamer I watch who's part of that "group" is in a band and got to the world and was like "Im told this is gonna be my favorite soundtrack in this game so Ill see..... gently caress you guys are right!" I didn't hear it on those streams but when I heard it I fell in love. I knew right away what they were talking about. It's one of those tracks that is just everyone gets it instantly.

Im so glad they put it in the Woodland world too, because it somehow fits there more than a place like the Seaside Kingdom or any sort of generic Pacific Islands knock off where you would normally imagine hearing generic surf rock.

The woodland world had more of what I was hoping to see in Donk City. I seem to recall seeing some early screenshots showing Mario on some of the skyscrapers from a top down perspective and it showed the sprawling city, but I thought it was intended to be on top of like another skyscraper or something really surreal, and have more of the classic red "Donkey Kong" girders rather than the maroon ones. I just liked the "classic red" and overgrown moss sort of rusty look to that world and it's aesthetic, I kinda wish they would have brought some of that over to New Donk City and made it a bit more lively and exciting, visually and otherwise, rather than a trope of trying to be "realistic" and make it too dramatic. I feel like they could have stretched their creativity a lot more with that, even if they wanted to keep the "metropolitan" theme.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TFRazorsaw posted:

Mario + Rabbids
ARMS
Mario Kart 8 DX
Master Blaster Zero
Azure Striker Gunvolt 1+2
Mighty Gunvolt Burst
Fast RMX
Shovel Knight
Fire Emblem Warriors
Lego City Undercover
Pokken Tournament
Shantae: Half Genie Hero
Sonic Mania
Puyo Puyo Tetris

Why the gently caress is Splatoon 2 not on this list? :colbert:

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Rolo posted:

Ew what the hell? Do people actually want that? Doing backwards kicks was my go to in melee.

No, no one actually wants that cause it'd feel really bad. Also bairs are cool.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You think that's bad? He didn't even mention Snipperclips.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Software-wise those sales numbers seem really good, so I'm glad to see Nintendo appears to be making money. That projection for X many Switches sold by March seems completely insane unless they expect Christmas to be gangbusters.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Software-wise those sales numbers seem really good, so I'm glad to see Nintendo appears to be making money. That projection for X many Switches sold by March seems completely insane unless they expect Christmas to be gangbusters.

I think Christmas easily doubles their current totals. But then there's a several million more they believe they'll sell by March. They could probably do it, at least shipping to retail.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

it's 9 AM and I got two whole hours of sleep.

it's there now

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Ventana posted:

No, no one actually wants that cause it'd feel really bad. Also bairs are cool.

:respek: Whew ok. Been like 10-15 years since I’ve played a smash game, I was worried they’d ruined it in the meantime.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
How are the Metal Slug ports? Specifically 3 and X. I bought the 3 port for PS4 because it bragged that there was online co op and got screwed. Playing online forced you to play with infinite lives, which ruined the game.

I know switch ports don’t have online, but is the single player ruined somehow?

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
My brother and I played it and we had infinite lives yeah
E: that's not single player so who knows!!!

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Whenever Nintendo posts new sales numbers on their IR News site, I am always curious to see what has changed from the other consoles in the past 3 months.

Wii U Console - <10,000? No Change
Mario Kart 8 - 30,000
NSMB Wii U - 20,000
Super Mario 3D World - 50,000
Smash 4 - 20,000
Nintendo Land - <10,000? No Change
Splatoon - 40,000
Mario Maker - 20,000
Super Luigi U - 20,000
Zelda Wind Waker - 20,000
Mario Party 10 - 20,000

Wii console - <10,000? No Change
Wii Sports - 20,000
Mario Kart Wii - 70,000
Wii Sports Resort - 20,000
NSMB Wii - 60,000
Wii Play - <10,000? No Change
Wii Fit - <10,000? No Change
Wii Fit Plus - 10,000
SSB Brawl - 40,000
Wii Party - 10,000

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
More people bought [insert 9+ year old Wii game of your choice here] in the last three months than they did Lawbreakers.

Maybe. I don't actually have any data on me here to back that claim up on LB's end but it's a statement that feels like it's not false.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm surprised that many people are still buying the 3 console New Super Mario Bros. games.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Steamworld Dig 2 is the best game on Switch not made by Nintendo

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

God loving drat it, iPhone.

COINS. I meant COINS
Hey man, the phone had to learn that word from somewhere.

Regy Rusty posted:

I've exhausted each level before moving on and it sure hasn't felt short to me. This afternoon I start in on the post game in earnest.
I've gotten a bunch of moons and coins in each world before moving on, I haven't completed any yet. Mostly because I'm bad at finding them, but also because the game kind of railroads you to the next world once you have enough moons to power the Odyssey. I figure that once I finish the story I can go back and start looking for what I've missed.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The New Donk City stage is so wonderful

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Guy Goodbody posted:

The end for it is GOTY by itself.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Guy Goodbody posted:

It's pretty much the flagship level of the game and it shows

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Rolo posted:

:respek: Whew ok. Been like 10-15 years since I’ve played a smash game, I was worried they’d ruined it in the meantime.

It has the option to turn off items, so they arguably did ruin it.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Mister Facetious posted:

It has the option to turn off items, so they arguably did ruin it.

That's been there since the beginning

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I rest my case.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The end for it is GOTY by itself.

Can you replay that part?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

irlZaphod posted:

I've gotten a bunch of moons and coins in each world before moving on, I haven't completed any yet. Mostly because I'm bad at finding them, but also because the game kind of railroads you to the next world once you have enough moons to power the Odyssey. I figure that once I finish the story I can go back and start looking for what I've missed.
There are more moons that unlock in the postgame :ssh:

(but yeah it definitely railroads you and it's designed that way)

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Taking the video game equivalent of smashing your action toys together you had then you were 8 and then making a bunch of rules about it is the embodiment of why I can't stand nerds.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Wendell posted:

Can you replay that part?

yes, there's an NPC in the building you can talk to to replay it

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

LethalGeek posted:

Taking the video game equivalent of smashing your action toys together you had then you were 8 and then making a bunch of rules about it is the embodiment of why I can't stand nerds.

Yeah I hate it when other people, completely unrelated to me, do things. They should stop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Regy Rusty posted:

I've found 994 coins how hard can it be to find 6 more????

:negative:

Not as hard as it's going to be to find the wedding outfit amiibos in the (near?) future. :v:

8-Bit Scholar posted:

The Switch is going to get hyped to hell and back for the holidays. Its competition will really only be the PS4 Slim(?), with the PS4 Pro and XBox One X being far more expensive and something that only MS/Sony diehards are going to care about.

• Locked thread