Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Which side is the front?

drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Furia posted:

This gun is loving ugly

Every gun they have is just a shittier looking version of some other gun that they threw a bucket of greebles on the side lol

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

alphabettitouretti posted:

8 core Ryzen and 980ti, average 18 FPS.

This is ready for release. MVP. No refunds!

And that's only at 1080p too. 4k would be in single digits no doubt.

Not even close to being able to pull of VR (2160x1200@90Hz) even if they turned off all the vomit inducing forced player animations.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Furia posted:

This gun is loving ugly

This 'surprise giveaway' is just another example of Chris' micromanaging decisions.

The giveaway structure itself, not the gun.

He presents two options. Tells the audience to cheer for their choice, then cheer again (louder) for their choice. Because there can only be one winner. Ultimately he makes the decision of which will be given away - unnecessarily disappointing about half the attendees.

In a saner world, you would just say - you get to pick one of these colors when you log in.

But control freaks gotta control, I guess.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Furia posted:

This gun is loving ugly

This gun looks archered as gently caress.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Furia posted:

This gun is loving ugly

Looks like a gun from Mass Effect, you know, the ones we never actually looked at, other than the stats.

To busy staring at the Asari/Krogan/ELCOR.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Doesn't help that it essentially looks like a loving P90 with some different fiddly bits.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Golli posted:

This 'surprise giveaway' is just another example of Chris' micromanaging decisions.

The giveaway structure itself, not the gun.

He presents two options. Tells the audience to cheer for their choice, then cheer again (louder) for their choice. Because there can only be one winner. Ultimately he makes the decision of which will be given away - unnecessarily disappointing about half the attendees.

In a saner world, you would just say - you get to pick one of these colors when you log in.

But control freaks gotta control, I guess.

It's more that they offer something with very low cost but perceived value that switches people to a more receptive frame of mind when faced with the kind of money for a jpg, jpg/drive deal that is pitched at the cost for a plane ticket and hotel room for their extended advert. I bet if you look at some of those original timeshare pitches, you'd see a very similar structure to the whole thing; sell during the high points, dull the senses for a bit, provide for more high points.

The level of applied psychology in the games industry is truly astounding these days; They've managed to de-emphasise missing a deadline by months and upsell a function that doesn't actually exist while shading the last big sale of a mining ship and the mechanics of mining itself. It's like an idea Ponzi; sell the dream up front and bank the cash to keep the lights on.

Again, I don't really believe the _scam_ line, personally, I've always been a lot more focussed on the fact that they're led by someone who has a vision that he can't express without anger or criticism that hasn't been involved in a professional project in years. That vision was never solid, and is suffering from the kind of do-over mentality that is not normally exposed in triple A publishing, but is massively front and center here.

I'm beginning to smell Andromeda. A lot of that development was done in the last year before release because they kept luxuriating in the idea that the fans would buy what was offered and hitting the 'do-over' button, but they've pre-sold all of this and are hoping to backfill mechanics. I mean, I'm fascinated by the Pioneer's construction abilities, but how does that _actually_ work? They offer pictures and fidelitous concept art, but the _actual construction_....how does that work?

Beet Wagon posted:

Every gun they have is just a shittier looking version of some other gun that they threw a bucket of greebles on the side lol

Some thought actually shown to the Titanfall SMG, because the CiG one would be difficult to operate with gloves.

Hav fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Oct 30, 2017

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Hav posted:

They offer pictures and fidelitous concept art, but the _actual construction_....how does that work?

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Stupid Crowdfunding Accomplishment Mausoleum > Star Citizen: ....how does that work?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

RagnarokZ posted:

Looks like a gun from Mass Effect, you know, the ones we never actually looked at, other than the stats.

To busy staring at the Asari/Krogan/ELCOR.

M-25 Hornet

Pretty close

The M-12 and M-7 are close too.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
So, I did not watch the stream. Question for those who did: was "Silas Koerner"'s presentation a mocapped harangue a la Morrow Tour, or someone appearing in person as the character?

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

AlbieQuirky posted:

So, I did not watch the stream. Question for those who did: was "Silas Koerner"'s presentation a mocapped harangue a la Morrow Tour, or someone playing him?

mocapped, with a voice actor trying his best to be bargain bin matthew mcconnaughey and graphics rivaling a ps2 in its heyday

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

SCtrumpHaters posted:

He cut it fine. You guys are so desperate. Reexamine your worldview. Maybe they have something here

This is that weird bitcoin millionaire pedo dude. Don't you just insta-ban him these days?

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Sillybones posted:

This is that weird bitcoin millionaire pedo dude. Don't you just insta-ban him these days?

No, you are thinking of the other recurring perma-banned actor in our little sketch comedy here - Seraph

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Golli posted:

No, you are thinking of the other recurring perma-banned actor in our little sketch comedy here - Seraph

With 5 seasons* of this show, some of the older running gags mind need a 'previously in the train wreck known as Star Citizen....<Soap theme tune>'.

* constant retcons, too.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Dave Haddock 'and his team' have been collaborating on their space lizard language to write the Star Citizen novella in presumably. Scope change surprise! Nobody ever said it would be written in English.

Pledge now: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Add-Ons/Star-Citizen-Novella

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Dave Haddock sounds like a Viz character.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
goddamn I was kinda not expecting a whole lot from Wolf2 other than shootin mechanazis, but it does a pretty loving amazing job of balancing an arcade shootmans with spot on Trump era mockery and actual, real feels due to excellent voice acting and writing

and citcon, what can I even begin to say, it was boring as gently caress and it won't surprise me if they 100% stop doing any live playthroughs with actual game mechanics

also no free flight this citcon lol

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

This gun looks archered as gently caress.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Doesn't help that it essentially looks like a loving P90 with some different fiddly bits.

Would you be shocked to learn it's literally both of those things?

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

I knew I have seen this somewhere else before...

The Parpman 5000

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
https://twitter.com/cjciaramella/status/925014422954930181

How's Legal doing these days, anyway?

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

God drat it. I was just going to do this post.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Furia posted:

This gun is loving ugly

It's an extra tacticool Kriss Vector drawn by someone who doesn't quite understand how that (or indeed any) weapon actually works and why.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
Ah yes, they're dreaming up code now. They're living in the Matrix where SC exits.

Toblakai
Jul 11, 2017

XK posted:

God drat it. I was just going to do this post.

It's gone, what was it?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

tooterfish posted:

Dave Haddock sounds like a Viz character.

Dave Haddock
The cunning linguist

Checks out. :)

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Damnit Beer, I can't permaban them for no reason if you don't actually get them to come here.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Beet Wagon posted:

Damnit Beer, I can't permaban them for no reason if you don't actually get them to come here.

I tried. I really did.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/AlysianahNoire/status/924351671928487937
https://twitter.com/_sailor67/status/924420430647255040
https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/924661789920546817
https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/924804907999342592

fritzgryphon
Jul 15, 2017

by Lowtax

That's actually a really exciting idea. Basically an octree of servers where space is subdivided into cells with a max player count. When a cell has too many players, it is subdivided into smaller cells, each is a new server. Players connect to whatever server is controlling the cell they occupy, and they interact with whatever other players are in it.

I don't know anything about this, but some challenges come to mind. Maybe there are solutions to them?

-Two players in different cells could actually be very close to each other, if they are near the same border. This might be resolved if players were sending their updates to their server-cell, and all adjacent ones (total of 9). Likely the player would only communicate with a single master server, which would in turn communicate with the 9 cells.

- Even if space is subdivided, it doesn't prevent a large number of players from congregating in a small space. In fact, this will be the rule, as players will clump around jump gateways and stations, hang out with their org, or deliberately choreograph the biggest space battles evar. The subdivided cells would get so tiny that you're only 'see' a few hundred meters (an Idris 1km away wouldn't be in any of your adjacent cells, so you wouldn't see it). There would need to be a way to get some information about ships outside of your cells, even if it's just a position and ship type, to populate all the blips on your sensor screen. Also, in a busy place ships would constantly spawn and despawn as they enter or leave your cells, with a big initialization hit per spawn.

- All this constant connecting, disconnecting, spawning, initializing needs to happen in a way that creates no lag spikes, stutters, framerate drops or physics glitches (to say nothing of disconnects or crashes). It needs to work perfectly, all the time, regardless of internet connection speeds or player's geographical locations. The combat is fluid, and there are harsh penalties for losing your ship or dying. An untimely lag spike could clip two capital ships into each other to vanish in a flurry of debris and two dozen angry spacewalkers, instantly wiping out thousands of man hours of grinding for credits, or even real cash.

It sounds so ridiculous and so goddamn beautiful. This has to be made.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
I always find it weird when people revel in their unpleasantness like it's some kind of badge of honour.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

fritzgryphon posted:

That's actually a really exciting idea. Basically an octree of servers where space is subdivided into cells with a max player count. When a cell has too many players, it is subdivided into smaller cells, each is a new server. Players connect to whatever server is controlling the cell they occupy, and they interact with whatever other players are in it.

I don't know anything about this, but some challenges come to mind. Maybe there are solutions to them?

-Two players in different cells could actually be very close to each other, if they are near the same border. This might be resolved if players were sending their updates to their server-cell, and all adjacent ones (total of 9). Likely the player would only communicate with a single master server, which would in turn communicate with the 9 cells.

- Even if space is subdivided, it doesn't prevent a large number of players from congregating in a small space. In fact, this will be the rule, as players will clump around jump gateways and stations, hang out with their org, or deliberately choreograph the biggest space battles evar. The subdivided cells would get so tiny that you're only 'see' a few hundred meters (an Idris 1km away wouldn't be in any of your adjacent cells, so you wouldn't see it). There would need to be a way to get some information about ships outside of your cells, even if it's just a position and ship type, to populate all the blips on your sensor screen. Also, in a busy place ships would constantly spawn and despawn as they enter or leave your cells, with a big initialization hit per spawn.

- All this constant connecting, disconnecting, spawning, initializing needs to happen in a way that creates no lag spikes, stutters, framerate drops or physics glitches (to say nothing of disconnects or crashes). The combat is fluid, and there are harsh penalties for losing your ship or dying. An untimely lag spike could clip two capital ships into each other to vanish in a flurry of debris and two dozen angry spacewalkers, instantly wiping out thousands of man hours of grinding for credits, or even real cash.

It sounds so ridiculous and so goddamn beautiful. This has to be made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeZtqoydXpc

:thunk:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I tried. I really did.

If they posted here I would be scared and upset

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

I don't fault people for generally not understanding networking, but how does this guy think all these machines move data between them, and does he know that there are limits in both speed and quantity? Do these people think EVE implements time dilation because they think it's fun?

Also, the top half of that post describes WoW's cross-realm phasing tech. Have fun implementing that in an environment with physics that affect gameplay.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Oct 30, 2017

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Chris 'rolling up his sleeves' and doing some coding is like that one boss who 'kept his hand in' by loving everything up once every 6 months