Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nobody posted ORECA's fit pitching about them not getting to improve their chassis this year. They're thoroughly pissed that they didn't get to spend a Joker and everyone else did. Though I wonder if there's a difference between a Joker chassis tweak and the re-homologation that Multimatic is going through since it was so thoroughly uncompetitive.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Oct 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Pretty smart move imo from bar1. They're probably getting that car for basically free, it keeps representation for multimatic in a LMP2 guide, and it helps them show off the new changes competitively.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Nando at the Rolex 24!

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/145227-alonso-to-contest-rolex-24-with-united-autosports

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

gently caress yeah homie making sure he's ready before going after Le Mans.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Owns

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Nando and Lando

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Yessssss

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Good thing I got my tickets to that already. Plus my mclaren shirt finally showed up.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit
This year's Rolex 24 was super exciting and 2018 is going to blow it out of the water

If Joest Mazda somehow gets their first win I will sacrifice kine and kin alike at the altar of John Doonan

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

an oddly awful oud posted:

This year's Rolex 24 was super exciting and 2018 is going to blow it out of the water

If Joest Mazda somehow gets their first win I will sacrifice kine and kin alike at the altar of John Doonan

The big three enduros all delivered last year.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Sounds like Performance Tech will be going with the Dallara. So all 4 WEC chassis will be represented, plus the Cadillac, Mazda, Nissan, and Acura versions.

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/145270-performance-tech-close-to-p2-purchase

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
YESSS first series to catch em all (other than one off runs at Le Mans)

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

YESSS first series to catch em all (other than one off runs at Le Mans)

And the Riley entry at LeMans was an actual joke.

Although to be fair that was probably Riley's fault rather than the team's.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Dudley posted:

And the Riley entry at LeMans was an actual joke.

Although to be fair that was probably Riley's fault rather than the team's.

Riley hadn't made a carbon fiber car since the early 2000s and their lack of experience shows. Multimatic luckily has shoved them to the curb now and took the lead, while Riley goes back to playing with tube frame poo poo.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

orange juche posted:

Riley hadn't made a carbon fiber car since the early 2000s and their lack of experience shows. Multimatic luckily has shoved them to the curb now and took the lead, while Riley goes back to playing with tube frame poo poo.

It sounds like the ACO is still going to call it a Riley, though, which is complete nonsense given that it's being entirely re-homologated as a new car

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

orange juche posted:

The part of the car that is apparently the biggest flop is the suspension, which i think was Multimatic's design (i dunno for sure on that though)

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Cygni posted:

The part of the car that is apparently the biggest flop is the suspension, which i think was Multimatic's design (i dunno for sure on that though)

Nope, Multimatic made the tub and bodywork. Riley developed the aero design though, even though Multimatic manufactured it, with the blunt face and lack of front dive planes on the original design. Basically it was a Riley developed design entirely, and Multimatic used their skill at making carbon fiber to build the bodies and tubs designed by Riley.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Oct 27, 2017

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Ah, my bad, I thought it was kind of the other way around. I just remember back in yee-old-days, it was Multimatic you brought in to do suspension designs.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Cygni posted:

Ah, my bad, I thought it was kind of the other way around. I just remember back in yee-old-days, it was Multimatic you brought in to do suspension designs.

Nope, a particular sticking point is both rileys aero design creating way too much downforce, and their suspension design pulled straight out of 90s IRL which doomed the car. RACER did a 3 page article on the Mk. 30 that took apart each part and highlighted potential issues before the 2017 season began. Multimatic was brought in because Riley had zero experience in working with carbon fiber in the last 20 or so years, having been primarily involved in Grand Am which only did tubeframe poo poo.

Ironically the RT24-P fixed a lot of the downforce problems with the Riley thanks to the redesigned nosework and sidepods or whatever in front of the rear wheels, but the godawful mess of the suspension still hamstrung them and made the cars perform pretty poorly.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Oct 27, 2017

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

an oddly awful oud posted:

It sounds like the ACO is still going to call it a Riley, though, which is complete nonsense given that it's being entirely re-homologated as a new car

I'm guessing Riley officially hold the "Franchise" they dolled out when they went to 4 manufacturers.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

A Riley prototype has faaaaar too much downforce you say? :monocle:

https://youtu.be/kXDn_lLDp2g

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

harperdc posted:

A Riley prototype has faaaaar too much downforce you say? :monocle:

https://youtu.be/kXDn_lLDp2g

And that is why going to see the Mitty is awesome, because they actually run racing laps instead of just parading cars around.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

So Renger van der Zande is taking over Ricky Taylor's seat at WTR. That's a nasty as hell driver lineup and helps them keep up with the new/upgraded teams despite only having one car with which to compete next year

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Wrong thread lol

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 28, 2017

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Sebastien Ogier locked the driver's championship and also locked the constructor's championship for Ford M-Sport thanks to Elfyn Evans winning the Wales Rally GB, the first welshman to win a rally, and the first brit to win the rally since Richard Burns in 2000. :britain: Why isn't there a crying dragon welsh smilie?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I need to get back into WRC.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
kinda like last year, Ogier wasn't dominant but nobody else was consistent enough to mount a challenge to him. Neuville especially will probably think it should have been his year if it wasn't for the awful start he had.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Wirth1000 posted:

I want to too but the nature of rally makes it hard to follow :negative:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also bizarrely there are rumors that Ogier might not have a ride next year due to musical chairs/teams not having enough money, though I assume sponsors will be able to hammer something out in time.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I like rallying but I don’t like people named Sebastien so

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

wicka posted:

I like rallying but I don’t like people named Sebastien so

Eh Ogier is okay. Loeb on the other hand is a loving oval office.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Wirth1000 posted:

Are they still showing the highlights on Redbull TV? Do they show the full rallies on TV anymore?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

gret posted:

Are they still showing the highlights on Redbull TV? Do they show the full rallies on TV anymore?

I have no idea but also thanks for reminding me why I stopped watching. Red Bull.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Its been a good season, and Wales was cool. Great rally by Evans making it 7 different winners this year.

Its sucks that M-Sport looks like it could be gutted for next year after winning both championships. Tanak has already signed with Toyota, and Ogier might go to Citroen. Granted, Citroen has financial issues of its own, but they have UAE royal family support that could probably pony up, whereas M-Sport get nothing from Ford.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

iospace posted:

I want to too but the nature of rally makes it hard to follow :negative:

The nature of it being :krad:?

The full day summaries that WRC+ put up are rebroadcasted on redbull.tv, where they also add in some of their own interviews and graphical representation things, makes it super easy to watch.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
rally seems cool again but i hope they bring back long rallies at some point in the future

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

Humbug posted:

Its been a good season, and Wales was cool. Great rally by Evans making it 7 different winners this year.

Its sucks that M-Sport looks like it could be gutted for next year after winning both championships. Tanak has already signed with Toyota, and Ogier might go to Citroen. Granted, Citroen has financial issues of its own, but they have UAE royal family support that could probably pony up, whereas M-Sport get nothing from Ford.

M-Sport doesn't get "nothing" from Ford. Ford does support them, but not on full factory effort level.

It has been interesting that the car's of each team appear to strong in different rallies. There hasn't been a clear "best" car like there was during the VW years. M-Sport is the team that has been competitive in every rally i.e. probably the best compromise for 2018.

Apparently Ogier asked for a Toyota 2018 seat in July, but Toyota chose Tanak instead. I am quite confident that it is M-Sport or retirement for Ogier in 2018.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
there are weird rumors that Ogier managed to piss off Citroen management to the point where they won't hire him, Toyota got Tanak, Hyundai is full and M-Sport can't afford him

so either someone steps up to keep him at M-Sport (Red Bull, or Ford deciding to make it a factory program again) or he's out lol

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ford practically gutted all its motorsports in the last few years. All that's left now in terms of significant factory support is the GT program (which isn't long for this world). They won't even badge Cosworth engines anymore for F1 or IndyCar.

WRC and others is mostly them slapping the blue oval on, providing some cash, maybe the engine blocks, and going "here, do what you want."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

iospace posted:

All that's left now in terms of significant factory support is the GT program (which isn't long for this world).

Source on Ford killing off the GT program? I'm honestly curious about this one, because the GT program has done really really well from the outset. Scaled back, sure I'd believe that because running 2 distinct teams on 2 continents is a pain in the rear end, but killing it off?

• Locked thread